Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Does anyone have a good breakdown of how Apple Pay works? Normally the merchant will have an acquiring bank which takes all their card transactions and then routes them to the issuing bank. Is it the same here?

Replace "card" with "single-use or multi-use token" and you have the essence of EMV (and Apple Pay by extension).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

It's still worth $200 at AT&T!

Until spooky, spooky Halloween, anyway, at which point undead phones must return to their previous trade-in value.

Thanks for the info!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

xilni posted:

I don't know how this works then since I've been selecting the green Credit button on the Whole Foods POS terminal when I use ApplePay and yet I still can't see any transaction detail besides time and general location.

If it's a debit card, pressing Credit just means you don't have to enter your pin number.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Quoting myself because this got lost in the Apple Pay hullabaloo

Toebone posted:

I'm leaving my current job, and with it goes my paid company phone. I'd like to get an iPhone, which carrier has the best pricing for someone coming with no contract or trade in? My wife will also be on the plan and getting a new phone, if it works out better than her current prepaid Virgin plan w/ busted Evo 3D. I don't mind paying for the phones upfront if it will save me money in the long haul.

Also, is the 6 a big enough improvement over a 5S for the price bump?

Edit: I'm in the NYC area if that makes a difference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you're getting a subsidized phone, always get the newest one.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
T-Mobile probably has decent service in a big city like NYC.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
How is apple pay supposed to work at restaurants, where typically they take your card, go in the back to swipe it, and then you add the tip on the receipt?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

How is apple pay supposed to work at restaurants, where typically they take your card, go in the back to swipe it, and then you add the tip on the receipt?

They'll swipe your phone.

They'll bring an NFC terminal or you'll have to use a card with a strip.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

tuyop posted:

They'll swipe your phone.

Actually, if it's an OpenTable-compatible restaurant there's no terminal. You just open the app and pay your bill without interacting with the server at all. Not sure how it figures out which bill is yours, and I'm not in a region where they're rolling this out yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well, updated my phone and I still can't use my Bluetooth speaker dock at work. It stopped playing mid-song last week and I haven't been able to pair it again since. It sees it, but when I click on the device's name, it just spins until it gives up about 45 seconds later.

Has anyone else gotten an improvement on Bluetooth by chance?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah, I'm confused by this too. Several people have reported Apple Pay working on "all" NFC enabled payment devices, so I'm not sure what "Apple Pay Certified" even means?

...and I don't understand the stores that will support it "soon" ? If they support NFC payments, then they support Apple Pay.
If that's the case, what's the deal with the retailers holding out as part of the Merchants Exchange network?

I've only used NFC once, with the chip in my Amex Blue Cash at my local McDonald's.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So is bluetooth completely hosed on iPhone 6+ or is it just me. My comp and my car see my phone, my phone sees them, they try to connect and my phone says pairing unsuccessful. I'm about to Google Map Steve Job's grave drive over and piss on it.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

tuyop posted:

I'm assuming that bringing a terminal to the table is the future in the US (and the present in Europe/rest of world) since EMV with chipped cards are also coming*, although it seems like the US banks are opting for chip & sign vs chip & PIN which means they could still take your card and bring you the receipt to sign.

*Liability for fraud shifts from the banks to retailers in October 2015 if the retailer doesn't have terminals capable of using the EMV chipped cards.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
So updating to 8.1 flips the wifi calling setting off. I assume so you can try out Call Handoff since the two features don't work concurrently?

Cool, except now wifi calling won't re-enable. Flipping the setting goes to an error page no matter what I try.

I was looking forward to having wifi so calls and texts would actually work at the World Series tonight. Nope.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Toebone posted:

Quoting myself because this got lost in the Apple Pay hullabaloo

If you don't mind paying the full value of the phones, I'd go with T-Mobile since you can avoid contracts entirely. Also, I live in Nassau just outside of Queens and at least here T-Mobile has the best coverage and speeds out of all the major carriers.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Selane posted:

If you don't mind paying the full value of the phones, I'd go with T-Mobile since you can avoid contracts entirely. Also, I live in Nassau just outside of Queens and at least here T-Mobile has the best coverage and speeds out of all the major carriers.

You can avoid contract(ual obligation)s entirely on literally every major carrier. T-Mobile has a good marketing department, but they're not doing anything different.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 21, 2014

Clara
Feb 7, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

So updating to 8.1 flips the wifi calling setting off. I assume so you can try out Call Handoff since the two features don't work concurrently?

Cool, except now wifi calling won't re-enable. Flipping the setting goes to an error page no matter what I try.

I was looking forward to having wifi so calls and texts would actually work at the World Series tonight. Nope.

Do you have a T-Mobile prepaid account? If so there's currently an issue going on with wifi calling that started early Monday sometime, before 8.1 even dropped. They're aware of the problem now but no ETA on it getting fixed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just used Apple pay at the vending machine at work. Worked great, so I can confirm it works at places not listed as "Apple pay".

Molten Llama posted:

You can avoid contract(ual obligation)s entirely on literally every major carrier. T-Mobile has a good marketing department, but they're not doing anything different.

Nothing different except the blazing fast LTE in the Bay Area. I've got unlimited 50mbps data in my pocket for $80 a month.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Yeah, my post wasn't really that clear I guess. I mean AT&T and Verizon are kind of lovely companies outside of their overall better coverage, so if you live someplace where T-Mobile has good coverage anyway and don't "need" the subsidy you could have gotten from ATT/Verizon, you might want to go with T-Mobile.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Just so everyone knows, Apple Stores can replace iPhone 6 and 6+ displays as of this morning

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

rear end Catchcum posted:

So is bluetooth completely hosed on iPhone 6+ or is it just me. My comp and my car see my phone, my phone sees them, they try to connect and my phone says pairing unsuccessful. I'm about to Google Map Steve Job's grave drive over and piss on it.

My 6 has the same problem. Very annoying.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I just went to a Chevron, and the NFC worked as far as bringing up passbook/apple pay, but after my fingerprint authorized, the gas terminal asked me to input my zip code, and it rejected the transaction twice. I'm thinking maybe it's because the card I'm using is a debit card perhaps? Or do I need to add my zip code to passbook somehow? I already have my address added, so I'm not sure what's up.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

AirDrop works from my Mac to iPhone but not the other way around. Anybody else?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey guess what... Looks like they didn't fully squash the WiFi bug. You'll get'em next time, champ!

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

Hey guess what... Looks like they didn't fully squash the WiFi bug. You'll get'em next time, champ!

Yeah it seems to still be happening to me as well but not as much as before. I got a couple of timeouts today while playing a game. Worked fine over LTE, would simply not connect at all on wifi.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah it seems to still be happening to me as well but not as much as before. I got a couple of timeouts today while playing a game. Worked fine over LTE, would simply not connect at all on wifi.

Same here. It's just really disappointing because I had absolutely none of these issues before I downloaded iOS 8.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So the camera on my 6+ was sticking out a little but so I pushed it back in and now my camera is screwed up. Is this something Apple will fix?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

So the camera on my 6+ was sticking out a little but so I pushed it back in and now my camera is screwed up. Is this something Apple will fix?

#InnieGate

Or is it #OuttieGate?

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd6gT3Kz10

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

I think it's hardware related. This post had more content when I imagined typing it, but I'm tired as all hell.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Awesome. I wonder if he posted pictures taken with it in the comments?

Oh god, the comments! :stonk:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I wonder how much time per day they spend looking up articles and videos about a phone they don't like so they can make sure everyone knows what their opinion of the phone is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

I wonder how much time per day they spend looking up articles and videos about a phone they don't like so they can make sure everyone knows what their opinion of the phone is.

Android fanboyism is pretty strange, is it because there's something really nice about feeling like you're throwing your lot in with the underdog? Is it backlash to years of rabid Apple fanboyism that I've never seen before? Is it class consciousness?

Though I guess nearly every android user is pretty ambivalent about the whole thing and just doesn't want to spend money on hardware. Ditto for most iOS users except they don't care about dropping a few hundred bucks when they renew their contract.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

From what I can tell, it's partly a view that Apple and their users are smug hipsters, but a bunch of it appears to come from the idea that Android is for Smart People who know that Android is the platform for Real Work and iOS is a walled garden for children and old people, and a feeling that they need to make sure everyone knows that they are a Smart Person.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 22, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Full disclosure, tonight's issues with WiFi on my iPhone might very well be my network. Not sure what is going on but my Airport Express has dropped my ATV thrice in the last hour alone.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

tuyop posted:

Android fanboyism is pretty strange, is it because there's something really nice about feeling like you're throwing your lot in with the underdog? Is it backlash to years of rabid Apple fanboyism that I've never seen before? Is it class consciousness?

This was on my facebook feed recently and I sprung my own trap and asked why he couldn't just be happy with his purchase on it's own merits, he never replied. The mystery lives on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder when Apple will charge so much for the latest iphone that it won't get the usual record number of buyers during its release.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The price has been constant for 6 years now, hasn't it?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

noirstronaut posted:

I think it's hardware related. This post had more content when I imagined typing it, but I'm tired as all hell.

Definitely not hardware related. I'm experiencing the same problem on my iPad and I know of several people who are also having wifi issues since updating to iOS 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

The price has been constant for 6 years now, hasn't it?

Nah. The base iPhone 4/4s were $650, the base iPhone 5/5s were $700, the and the base iPhone 6 is $800.