Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

mcmagic posted:

Her policies on everything besides reproductive rights are awful.

Hmm i wonder if she said something bad about guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, they are being cited in textbooks

What.

:barf:

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 21, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Her policies on everything besides reproductive rights are awful.

They weren't but then some strategist convinced her to move way to the right on a ton of poo poo for the campaign.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I love when Democrats use the "I'll shift far right and obviously the leftists won't leave me while the right wing will abandon the GOP and I'll get ALL the votes" plan.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Radish posted:

I love when Democrats use the "I'll shift far right and obviously the leftists won't leave me while the right wing will abandon the GOP and I'll get ALL the votes" plan.

Grimes is currently in the middle of trying this.

Protip: When you're relying on OFA to do your heavy lifting in the cities, you mmmmmight not want to make it obvious you refuse to acknowledge Obama. :ughh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Radish posted:

I love when Republicans use the "I'll shift far left and obviously the Tea Party won't leave me while the Reagan democrats will abandon the demonrats and I'll get ALL the votes" plan.

Strangely now it seems like a better idea.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

They weren't but then some strategist convinced her to move way to the right on a ton of poo poo for the campaign.
Eventually someone with actual marketing talent will move into politic- hahah why on Earth would you work with such a bunch of low-rent douchebags? The only way it's ever going to work is when you either get someone with such innate talent that it blows up the equation (Clinton, Obama) or when the formula hits its stride at just the right time. Political marketers could never begin to launch a product that's never existed in a way that's not documented. I mean imagine Mark Penn handling the launch of the first iPod or something. WHAT DO WE CALL IT?! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS IT!! I DON'T HAVE POLLING!!! CAN'T WE JUST MAKE IT A WALKMAN!?!

Political marketing is routinely a minimum of a decade behind actual marketing and that's because it's clubby and, therefore, resistant to change. What's needed to change things is someone who completely blows out the old conventions. Thing is, I don't think Wendy's strategists are at fault, I think she is too. I don't think the whole lot of them have much courage or creativity to rub together to begin with.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Protip: When you're relying on OFA to do your heavy lifting in the cities, you mmmmmight not want to make it obvious you refuse to acknowledge Obama. :ughh:

Grimes is in the mainstream of Kentucky democrats. Pro Obamacare, pro guns, pro coal.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Eventually someone with actual marketing talent will move into politic- hahah why on Earth would you work with such a bunch of low-rent douchebags? The only way it's ever going to work is when you either get someone with such innate talent that it blows up the equation (Clinton, Obama) or when the formula hits its stride at just the right time. Political marketers could never begin to launch a product that's never existed in a way that's not documented. I mean imagine Mark Penn handling the launch of the first iPod or something. WHAT DO WE CALL IT?! NO ONE UNDERSTANDS IT!! I DON'T HAVE POLLING!!! CAN'T WE JUST MAKE IT A WALKMAN!?!

Political marketing is routinely a minimum of a decade behind actual marketing and that's because it's clubby and, therefore, resistant to change. What's needed to change things is someone who completely blows out the old conventions. Thing is, I don't think Wendy's strategists are at fault, I think she is too. I don't think the whole lot of them have much courage or creativity to rub together to begin with.

That might be true, but I doubt marketing could have made Davis a winner.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trabisnikof posted:

Strangely now it seems like a better idea.

Who exactly is it working for?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Trabisnikof posted:

That might be true, but I doubt marketing could have made Davis a winner.
We'll never know, which is the beauty of how politics works. It's the most clubby, inbred world of inept glad-handers you can imagine.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

We'll never know, which is the beauty of how politics works. It's the most clubby, inbred world of inept glad-handers you can imagine.

Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing? Thats what got me started as a Democrat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Sure we'll never know, but in reality, I don't see the path for a Davis victory even if we were in "wag the dog". The numbers are just that bad.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure we'll never know, but in reality, I don't see the path for a Davis victory even if we were in "wag the dog". The numbers are just that bad.

Davis can't even make hay over Perry's European vacation during the Ebola crisis and how her vision for Texas wouldn't have let this happen, I doubt going hard left or hard right will get her any votes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Trabisnikof posted:

'Twas ever thus.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Some of the new textbooks being considered in Texas(which textbooks used in Texas usually move to the rest of the country) have sections where the only source is breitbart and other right wing media sources.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Some of the new textbooks being considered in Texas(which textbooks used in Texas usually move to the rest of the country) have sections where the only source is breitbart and other right wing media sources.

This book contents approved by Storm Front

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Khisanth Magus posted:

Link?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wait, is that supposed to be a bad thing? Thats what got me started as a Democrat.

Are you actually Jeff Smith?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Davis can't even make hay over Perry's European vacation during the Ebola crisis and how her vision for Texas wouldn't have let this happen, I doubt going hard left or hard right will get her any votes.

To be fair, she's not running against Rick Perry. Also she put out the wheelchair ad, so whoever's in charge of her campaign is literally retarded. Nothing would help.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Things like Texas effectively dictating the nation's schoolbooks is part of why people who think the GOP is just going to die out with age are dumb. Say hello to a new generation being raised on extreme right wing propaganda.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

To be fair, she's not running against Rick Perry. Also she put out the wheelchair ad, so whoever's in charge of her campaign is literally retarded. Nothing would help.

Nor is Abbott actually running against Obama. Doesn't stop him from making it a race between Abbott and Obama.

I completely agree Davis' campaign is retarded. I wish every state could have as decent a party operation as Illinois--Quinn excluded.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Nor is Abbott actually running against Obama. Doesn't stop him from making it a race between Abbott and Obama.

I completely agree Davis' campaign is retarded. I wish every state could have as decent a party operation as Illinois--Quinn excluded.

You're not as smart as you pretend to be if you think Rick Perry is anywhere as unpopular in Texas as Obama is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGE_s1Wq1M

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

You're not as smart as you pretend to be if you think Rick Perry is anywhere as unpopular in Texas as Obama is.

I'm saying Perry has plenty of enemies outside Texas who'd be more than happy to help bring him down a peg. Unless Davis runs a campaign portrayinga vote for Abbott as a vote for Obama, I don't see how a campaign against Abbott can win.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm saying Perry has plenty of enemies outside Texas who'd be more than happy to help bring him down a peg. Unless Davis runs a campaign portrayinga vote for Abbott as a vote for Obama, I don't see how a campaign against Abbott can win.

Abbot already drew the link between Obama and Davis in an ad. Game over man . Game over.

As a student of politics, it's well maneuvered. Exploit the fears of your constituents of the big black man. As a human being, I was disgusted at both Abbot and dismayed that people will be dumb enough to buy it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dante Logos posted:

Abbot already drew the link between Obama and Davis in an ad. Game over man . Game over.

As a student of politics, it's well maneuvered. Exploit the fears of your constituents of the big black man. As a human being, I was disgusted at both Abbot and dismayed that people will be dumb enough to buy it.

Its a repeat of the last midterm strategy, make every election about Obama rather than your local candidate. There is no unifying figure on the Republican side so well known with any actual power.

I dunno, maybe a national campaign to make every race this midterm a choice between voting for Obama and voting for Scalia?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Didn't the Dems make most campaigns in '06 and '08 about voting against Bush, with '08 being about voting against the continuation of Bush?

EDIT: Also, :foxnews: made me do a double-take on their front page:

Amergin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 21, 2014

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

Bedroom communities full of upper middle class white people?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...since_2013).tif

There was literally nothing wrong with the ad unless you overthink in totally silly ways :colbert:

The furor seems to have been entirely a creation of the Beltway villagers, who got a stick up their collective rear end about the mere mention of her opponent's disability as a sign she wanted to impersonate Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death. No honest reasonable person could watch the ad and come away with the idea that Abbot was being attacked for his disability and not his shameless right-wing hypocrisy and sadism.

Amergin posted:

Didn't the Dems make most campaigns in '06 and '08 about voting against Bush, with '08 being about voting against the continuation of Bush?

Dems made '06 and '08 about opposing the Republican Party's policies, which were(despite post-facto spin by the GOP) Bush's policies.

Republicans are making '14 not about policy, which they are allergic to discussing for obvious reasons, but about "black demmy-crat in the White House! Boo!"

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

I think the GOP did that on their own.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Amergin posted:

Yes. It was a major factor in their success in those cycles. Good point.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Things like Texas effectively dictating the nation's schoolbooks is part of why people who think the GOP is just going to die out with age are dumb. Say hello to a new generation being raised on extreme right wing propaganda.

White people are making up a smaller and smaller portion of youth so even if that dumb fantasy is true it's still not appealing to minorities.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
As long as there are privileged fuckwads there will be right wingers.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

Dems made '06 and '08 about opposing the Republican Party's policies, which were(despite post-facto spin by the GOP) Bush's policies.

Republicans are making '14 not about policy, which they are allergic to discussing for obvious reasons, but about "black demmy-crat in the White House! Boo!"

Really? Because I'm hearing mostly rhetoric against the Democratic Party's policies, which are Obama's policies, such as the ACA.

Not really hearing "Republicans are voting Republican because the president is black" except from liberals who can't fathom why some people disagree with their political ideas.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Is it that hard to imagine? Think about it from the perspective of the press secretary. You could let in Pacifica Blogger Libby McMasterson who's going to ask a bunch of tough questions from the left about Obama's drone program or lack of any more action on combatting racist drug laws -or- you can let in a Breitbart Blogger Tinny McFoilstein who's going to ask you about Obama being secretly gay married to Larry Sinclair which you can easily laugh off.

If you're trying to run out the clock during press conferences which people would you let in? The more crazies there are the fewer tough questions that have to be taken.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 22, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

Really? Because I'm hearing mostly rhetoric against the Democratic Party's policies, which are Obama's policies, such as the ACA.

Not really hearing "Republicans are voting Republican because the president is black" except from liberals who can't fathom why some people disagree with their political ideas.

Except Bush really did wreck the economy, as opposed to conservative criticism of the ACA

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Oh no, not the EPA :ohdear:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Except Bush really did wreck the economy, as opposed to conservative criticism of the ACA

Fact Check: Mostly False. It was his policies that wrecked the economy, not Bush himself.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Chokes McGee posted:

shes down 1 point in the latest KY Sen poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

In 2006 the economy was not wrecked - far from it, actually.

The ACA's full implementation (if it's even finished at this point) hasn't been around for long enough for anyone to definitively say it was a net boon/detriment to the economy. But this is getting away from the point - Republicans are focusing on an anti-Obama message for the same reasons Dems focused on an anti-Bush message in 2006/2008: because it works.

• Locked thread