Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A close second is the way this "support person" sarcastically responds "really?" to every customer who calls her.

Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Renegret posted:

We have a department who has a checklist like that to be answered for every ticket. They just copy/paste the questions into the ticket and send it back every single loving time. Even if the answers to the questions are already in the ticket. Even if the escalating department copy/pasted their own checklist with the answers added in.

They're allergic to reading tickets. Or updating them. Or opening them for anything other than reassigning them to me, for that matter.

Ok, this is actually hilarious as someone who doesn't have to deal with it. Like what everyone outside of IT thinks when we grill them for info so that we can begin troubleshooting.

"Answer the questions! Not enough detail! MORE DETAIL!!!"

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Renegret posted:

We have a department who has a checklist like that to be answered for every ticket. They just copy/paste the questions into the ticket and send it back every single loving time. Even if the answers to the questions are already in the ticket. Even if the escalating department copy/pasted their own checklist with the answers added in.

They're allergic to reading tickets. Or updating them. Or opening them for anything other than reassigning them to me, for that matter.

"RE: A ticket came in: Every department is awful.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RFC2324 posted:

Ok, this is actually hilarious as someone who doesn't have to deal with it. Like what everyone outside of IT thinks when we grill them for info so that we can begin troubleshooting.

"Answer the questions! Not enough detail! MORE DETAIL!!!"

It's hilarious as someone who does have to deal with it as well. We have a few office legends about some incredible arguments that sprung up over it. The most famous being

"If we worked at a fish market we'd settle this in the parking lot like MEN"
"Yeah but you can't read tickets from the parking lot"

dogstile posted:

"RE: A ticket came in: Every department is awful.

It's true! We're awful too :v:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 21, 2014

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

service manager posted:

Incident IM583984 has been assigned to you.

Incident Details
Contact Phone: 

SLA Target Date: 
Open Time: 18/10/14 01:22:04
Number of related Records: 0

Affected Service: <service>
Affected CI: <cmdbname>
Assignment Group: events
Urgency and Impact: 1 - B - Major
Category: incident
Area: Error
Subarea: Monitoring

Title: <Servername> - OS Error occurred while performing I/O on page
Description:
The operating system returned error 1450(error not found) to SQL Server during a write at offset 0x0000000a660000 in file 'G:\DATA_SYSTEM\tempdev2.ndf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log and system event log may provide more detail. This is a severe system-level error condition that threatens database integrity and must be corrected immediately. Complete a full database consistency check (DBCC CHECKDB). This error can be caused by many factors; for more information, see SQL Server Books Online.

Gotta love on-call Saturdays when they start like this. :ohdear:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

tomapot posted:

Tracking down a SQL error and came up with with the cause...DOOM.

From the KB:
the data provider incorrectly sets a connection to a doomed state if a response is slow

:doom: THERE IS NO ERROR, IT IS FUNCTIONING AS INTENDED. PROMPT RESPONSE IS MANDATORY! :doom:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

lampey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-qEutnxfMk

Unitrends mascot until recently has been some sort of anime character called Aptari. I think its a robot now.

Great now I'm going to have that in my head during my call with them today.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Caconym posted:

Gotta love on-call Saturdays when they start like this. :ohdear:

You use service manager, no day is going to be fun.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

BigPaddy posted:

You use service manager, no day is going to be fun.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So who is everybody's preferred server vendor? I'm asking because we're a mainly Apple house so I don't have a huge knowledge of Windows servers and we're trying to get a NetFlow and SolarWinds solution in house.

Obviously there is Dell, HP and Lenovo but there have been rumblings of Dell having issues in the thread so I wanted to see what everybody was going with.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like HP

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pr0digal posted:

So who is everybody's preferred server vendor? I'm asking because we're a mainly Apple house so I don't have a huge knowledge of Windows servers and we're trying to get a NetFlow and SolarWinds solution in house.

Obviously there is Dell, HP and Lenovo but there have been rumblings of Dell having issues in the thread so I wanted to see what everybody was going with.

Call your CDW rep, tell him or her that's you're going to be buying servers now. Ask for a hookup with all the leading vendors, see if you can't get some lunches out of it. Go with the best price/feature balance.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sun servers...

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

I have never had a good support experience with HP and like Dell. Asking an IT peanut gallery about server vendors will get you as much concensus as asking about beer. play them off for free lunches is the only correct answer.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

RFC2324 posted:

Sun servers...

Stop it, I'm gettin' misty.

:edit: Seconding Dell. I've used HP and IBM before as well, wasn't as impressed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Stop it, I'm gettin' misty.

My shop is primarily Sun, still(we can't find any non-suns that reliably handle the load). If you want a Sun, http://www.unixsurplus.com/products/sun-servers?pagesize=40

I bought one from there that mostly works!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hot-swapping CPU cards like some loving magician

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
No pizza box, no dollars. :colbert:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Never had a significant issue with the few dozen HP servers in the 2+ years I worked at my last place. Just the usual stuff like hard drives and power supplies but we had enough redundancy that it never caused downtime. More importantly we had a good local place that was certified or whatever to do warranty work for HPs and anytime we had an issue there was a replacement part in hand immediately.

That last bit is the most important part I think. There really isn't that much difference between the various manufacturers when it comes to basic servers. Go with the one that you can get the best local support for. Between my CDW rep and the local shop I don't think I ever had to communicate with anyone at HP.

New place is done with IBM since they are apparently transitioning their servers over the Lenovo. Now we're going with Cisco :confuoot:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Local support is loving key. We're a Cisco and HP shop, but we're partners with a local managed services company who is our go between for both. Anything happens I call/email the partner and have them deliver and install a new part the next day. Cisco/HP pays the cost.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Was it in this thread someone recently posted the direct download links for Office 2013? I suddenly have an urgent need for that and never bookmarked it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Billy the Mountain posted:

Was it in this thread someone recently posted the direct download links for Office 2013? I suddenly have an urgent need for that and never bookmarked it.

Yo.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

I've said this before, probably in this thread, but the HP purchasing process, last I checked, sucks balls. HP still does the whole partner thing, but they seem to make it far more difficult to become a partner, whereas Dell Premier is basically sign up and get decent pricing. And until a few years ago their website didn't have "customize", you had to purchase the specific configuration and add components to your shopping cart separately, which was ridiculous.

iLO has always been better than DRAC as far as I know. iDRAC 7/8 seem to have caught up, but I haven't used the most recent iLOs so I can't swear to that. I do know that the remote console/media launch for iLO seems much more reliable and less reliant on allowing an ActiveX control to operate properly (it's a little .NET app). There's Java versions of the console on both of course, but I tend to prefer anything that's not Java.

ReadyRails are God's own rail and the HP rail is a poor imitation.

The density of the new Dell 730xd is pretty astonishing (with the 18 1.8" drive option), so if you wanted lots of drives in a tiny space that'd be better.

Otherwise yeah they basically have the same features, so as others have said support is probably a good factor to use (Dell support is full of idiots, FYI).

Frankly I'd take ReadyRails though, because I have a huge boner for click click drop racked.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Volmarias posted:

That's not 19953 changes by that developer, that's 19953 in the entire codebase to that point, which may spam multiple products across multiple decades.

You think that's high, wait until you see change numbers in the millions or higher.

Also, developers who leave messages like this should be fired into the sun :argh:.

Welcome to the App Store! :v:

Including Facebook's complete lack of understanding of version numbering, or their policy of releasing new versions every four weeks whether there are any changes or not.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

pr0digal posted:

I used to work with HPs, but over the last few years their local (Danish) resellers have been getting worse and worse at making stupid mistakes, so I'm pretty happy with us using Dell at my new(ish) job.

The way I see it it goes like this - at least for Scandinavia:
- HP for the latest and fastest. Just expect to proof-read everything the reseller pieces together.
- Dell for the middle-of-the-road
- IBM for the most solid but slightly slower/older setup - and expect to pay a bit of a premium.

Although I'm not 100% sure it's still like that with Lenovo taking over from IBM. It's been a while since I bought anything but Dell/HP servers.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

We use IBM soon to be Lenovo for our servers and the infrastructure guys bitch endlessly, until I remind them at least we are not using Dells anymore. At this point honestly there is not much difference so just get a quote from all three and take the best deal.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Crowley posted:

I used to work with HPs, but over the last few years their local (Danish) resellers have been getting worse and worse at making stupid mistakes, so I'm pretty happy with us using Dell at my new(ish) job.

The way I see it it goes like this - at least for Scandinavia:
- HP for the latest and fastest. Just expect to proof-read everything the reseller pieces together.
- Dell for the middle-of-the-road
- IBM for the most solid but slightly slower/older setup - and expect to pay a bit of a premium.

Although I'm not 100% sure it's still like that with Lenovo taking over from IBM. It's been a while since I bought anything but Dell/HP servers.

I use HPs in Sweden, but we have a good VAR.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

We use IBM soon to be Lenovo for our servers and the infrastructure guys bitch endlessly, until I remind them at least we are not using Dells anymore. At this point honestly there is not much difference so just get a quote from all three and take the best deal.

Be aware that once you get started on a vendor you get sorta-kinda locked into Dell DRAC/HP Inside Manager/Lenovo %whatever%

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Potato Alley posted:

(Dell support is full of idiots, FYI).

I take offense to that. :colbert: Then again, are you dealing with Basic or ProSupport? Big difference.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This was a response in a ticket that came in today:

quote:

Wonderful, [redacted], thanks. I found most of, but not the important part,
of what you found for the mailshell. That is, didn't know origin was in
Germany. Ok, that confirms it's not "Solutions.Net" (on one of my
finds), or about solutions. 2) I think the other one is my server hooked
up with microsoft. Which idea Leads me to at least hope it's at least
ostensibly legit. But didn't know if that server had any
connection-relation to or thru iinet or not.
I need an IT guy. I'm just a therapist, writer, artist trying to
survive in a lane going too fast around me. As a former marine, tho now
Buddhist, thus a little inner-wrestling going on now & then, it still
feels pretty krappy to have to say I would welcome assistance from
knights in shining armor, but such would be welcome. But I couldn't pay
you, barely paying the bills and too often not. And you guys have got
regular work to do and a life, etc, but every now and then, if get some
ideas...

This was just crazy enough to make me look at it. Here's the original mail they sent in:

quote:

Hello again,

*IMPORTANT: *
Been getting nagged(?) occasionally by suspicious connection(s)
fr/ "...mailshell.net".
The 1st time was there was when some other *really* weird things with
Firefox AND when trying to get to Webmail (*some detail further below*).
The "nj-rules" caught my attention, of course ("Ninja Rules"? Give me a
break!)

Below data sets from "TcpView": Local info at Left, Remote Info right:

*BUT THIS ONE ??? WHO?*
* [System Process] 0 TCP cpbridgepc.domain.actdsltmp
54257 li-usca-rules-6.mailshell.net http

*Others I managed to catch via TcpView (from different IP's): *
[]10/21/14: 54257 li-usca-rules-6.mailshell.net http
(173.230.146.110; 2917569134)
[]10/4/14: 55177 li-nj-rules-1.mailshell.net http
(23.239.13.41; 401542441)
[] 9/9/14: 53072 s15313536.mailshell.net http (87.106.5.34;
1466565922)

*AND Just for checks, THIS ONE IS is my connection to YOU, RIGHT?*
* SeaPort.EXE 3528 TCP cpbridgepc.domain.actdsltmp
54244 65.55.2.82 http ESTABLISHED

*Detail on weird email event:*
Firefox's browsing address/ URL showed a *Very Long Code After
The usual Webmail URL* (1st time ever, sorry, didn't copy it, them
actually), and persisted as tried to reload it to get to something more
normal, etc... until closed tab & used an original link (from deeper in
bookmarks) but even then couldn't get logIn to work right (incl. the
Captcha, had either not showing or discombobulated, etc !!!). After
15-30 min(?) finally the page looked right enough to go in to email.

To which one of our techs replied (in nicer terms), what in the gently caress are you talking about, this has nothing to do with us?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love that email:

"Woe is me, I need help. I can't pay you though."

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lightning Jim posted:

I take offense to that. :colbert: Then again, are you dealing with Basic or ProSupport? Big difference.

Dell support went to poo poo back around 97 when they started outsourcing. Between that and the bean counters taking over and only concentrating on call metrics and it's not exactly surprising, the industry in general has been going to poo poo since the Boom times ended and the bean counters took over.

Good support is hard to quantify and put a dollar value on, so they focus on the metrics that are easy to measure which often puts the priorities of management at odds with best practices.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Skex posted:

Dell support went to poo poo back around 97 when they started outsourcing. Between that and the bean counters taking over and only concentrating on call metrics and it's not exactly surprising, the industry in general has been going to poo poo since the Boom times ended and the bean counters took over.

Good support is hard to quantify and put a dollar value on, so they focus on the metrics that are easy to measure which often puts the priorities of management at odds with best practices.

OH, I see what you mean. Yeah, things have changed a lot in the past half decade back toward better, especially in ProSupport. Metrics isn't as strictly focused as it used to be.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

This may or may not be relevant to people.

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/

quote:

The FTDI FT232 chip is found in thousands of electronic baubles, from Arduinos to test equipment, and more than a few bits of consumer electronics. It’s a simple chip, converting USB to a serial port, but very useful and probably one of the most cloned pieces of silicon on Earth. Thanks to a recent Windows update, all those fake FTDI chips are at risk of being bricked. This isn’t a case where fake FTDI chips won’t work if plugged into a machine running the newest FTDI driver; the latest driver bricks the fake chips, rendering them inoperable with any computer.

Reports of problems with FTDI chips surfaced early this month, with an explanation of the behavior showing up in an EEVblog forum thread. The new driver for these chips from FTDI, delivered through a recent Windows update, reprograms the USB PID to 0, something Windows, Linux, and OS X don’t like. This renders the chip inaccessible from any OS, effectively bricking any device that happens to have one of these fake FTDI serial chips.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think that's pretty impressive if they managed to sneak a driver through Windows Update that completely fucks the counterfeit chip. I can't really be angry at them either.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
If it was up to me, I'd ban Outlook on all company machines.

One of the managers up here is a straight-up card-carrying hoarder and everything in her life is a horrible mess. She absolutely refuses to ever delete an email. Ever.

She insists on keeping emails in her outlook from over eight years ago from other peoples' email accounts.

She has hit the 20gb outlook file limit. Her archive file is over 200gb. She wants to know why her outlook is so slow.

gently caress, I don't know, it might be the twenty thousand unread emails in your inbox.

It got to be such a clusterfuck that, for some reason, the email server stopped allowing her to delete emails from the web interface? You'd delete them and they'd just pop back up in a few minutes. Then, somehow, she did something that she still won't tell me, but now her Outlook is trying to duplicate 43,000 emails. So it's locked down completely.

I moved her outlook and archive file and made new ones. I deleted her email account and recreated it to give her a fresh start. She threw an absolute fit until I assured her all her old emails are still on the computer, just not in outlook at the moment.

Now she wants me to show her how to switch between her outlook files because she wants to pull a powerpoint someone sent her three years ago.

loving hell I hate Outlook.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

larchesdanrew posted:

She has hit the 20gb outlook file limit. Her archive file is over 200gb. She wants to know why her outlook is so slow.

We give our users 150mb and disable the archiver. :v:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Haha I sent this to our engineer on a whim and heard a very audible "gently caress" a few cubicles over

Guess it affects us! :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

death .cab for qt posted:

Haha I sent this to our engineer on a whim and heard a very audible "gently caress" a few cubicles over

Guess it affects us! :v:

That's hilarious and yet horrifying (for you) depending on how far spread the device is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sirotan posted:

We give our users 150mb and disable the archiver. :v:

That would make our office a massive fire hazard.

• Locked thread