Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Today I was given access to one of the vendor accounts to compile licensing information relating to our Microsoft audit:

We are so hosed.

edit: and now digisoft is down :woop:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why the gently caress did Adobe go to the trouble of making flash able to auto-update in the background, but then insist on some stupid feature where it alerts you in case you want to upgrade sooner. gently caress off, I never want to see another update notification. You've been told to auto update silently, go and do it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ynglaur posted:

I keep wanting "gently caress Java" to be our thread title.

We already have the Coding Horrors thread...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I keep wanting "gently caress Java" to be our thread title.
This thread is for the more things that piss you off. Java is implied.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
It's printers and Java in sweet sweet embrace.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

KennyTheFish posted:

It's printers and Java in sweet sweet embrace.

:siren: WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT WEB JETADMIN :siren:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lord Dudeguy posted:

:siren: WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT WEB JETADMIN :siren:

I clicked that link and the screen on my tablet shattered and it started to bleed out of the USB port and speakers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I clicked that link and the screen on my tablet shattered and it started to bleed out of the USB port and speakers.

My phone will not stop screaming.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
I clicked that link and now my printer is printing out images of the Ask toolbar on human flesh, with detailed implications of me in the search box.

I thought I opted out of this.

i don't even own a printer what is going on

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
the java-printers have become self-aware--
there is no hope--
im hiding in my office--
they dont know im in here--
oh god i hear a paper feeder down the hallway--
doors wont hold--

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Pissing me off: JIRA tickets and Cox cable " internet".

JIRA: I told my boss I'd filed a ticket with a blocker status and she told me to downgrade it, then realized that I can't touch any of our databases now, and let it be. So yeah, I'm the person who locked myself out of a domain account today, but I still need to work. And that ticket is 5+ hours and counting.

And gently caress Cox. Argh. What's the use of having a vpn so I can work occasionally from home when my home internet usually doesn't work?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Student Support teacher grabbed me today. Said she was going to need another toner cartridge for her printer soon. Strange, since I gave her a new one just before school started. She's the only one in the building with her own laser printer, since Student Support is basically the special snowflake group that gets to do their own purchasing and poo poo.

Then she drops the printer bomb: "I know when I've gone through about 5 packages of paper, it's about time for a new one."

5 packages? 5 reams? In less than 2 months?
This same building mysteriously 'lost' 7 full boxes of paper (it's what, 10 reams to a box?) last year because it all went to printers rather than the (significantly) cheaper copier. We've been telling staff for years to use our print shop because their printing costs are a fraction of any laser printer's, and you don't even need to send a physical copy for duplication anymore.
Her excuse is that it's the Bridge curriculum, which doesn't really have textbooks but has lots of worksheets. But if you're printing off a 3-page worksheet for 30 kids, that's precisely what the printshop is for! But the office copier is too far away (less than 200 feet)! And the printshop turnaround time might be as long as 48 hours! Printing in advance? Pfft.

It's going to be even worse this year thanks to a new principal and a new office manager (though she was secretary last year, and at least peripherally aware of the problem).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've given up trying to make people think economically when it comes to printing. Laziness and stupidity trumps everything. As long as toner and paper doesn't come out of my budget I've stopped caring.

Printer things actually pissing me off: People who can't load paper properly. The magazines are designed to fit a whole ream. Why would you open a ream and only put a third of it in the printer?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Coworker is out of critical tasks to do and is told to "prioritize tasks on his own".

Why do we have two project managers, again?

Oh, and apparently we're hiring a new programmer, without even informing the team (I found out about it second-hand). So much for letting us get to know this person before they're brought on...

The sad part is that this new person is going to be my coworker's underling, supposedly. That on itself isn't sad, until you realize my coworker is a woman and we found the ad for this helper position. It had a minimum range of $6k more than she makes right now (and an upper bound of $26k more). :suicide:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sounds like your coworker has some negotiation to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zamujasa posted:

Coworker is out of critical tasks to do and is told to "prioritize tasks on his own".

Why do we have two project managers, again?

Oh, and apparently we're hiring a new programmer, without even informing the team (I found out about it second-hand). So much for letting us get to know this person before they're brought on...

The sad part is that this new person is going to be my coworker's underling, supposedly. That on itself isn't sad, until you realize my coworker is a woman and we found the ad for this helper position. It had a minimum range of $6k more than she makes right now (and an upper bound of $26k more). :suicide:

Have her quit and apply for the new job.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I just got a spam email with an attached Word doc. With a Word macro virus. In TYOOL 2014.

It's so cute!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Collateral Damage posted:

I've given up trying to make people think economically when it comes to printing. Laziness and stupidity trumps everything. As long as toner and paper doesn't come out of my budget I've stopped caring.

Printer things actually pissing me off: People who can't load paper properly. The magazines are designed to fit a whole ream. Why would you open a ream and only put a third of it in the printer?

We have an A1 colour plotter in the office for making glossy posters and what not for Conferences and what not. Someone tried to be clever about this time last year and used it to print christmas wrapping paper hoping no one would notice. Cue Global Marketing Director walking in at 6am for a meeting with the UK team.

Speaking of Marketing I have had to ask them when I got in about an hour ago why they feel the need to send me emails asking me to talk to someone on their team about a project. You are on the same loving team, talk to each other. In fact you are both on the West Coast so it is not even a timezone thing!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

We have an A1 colour plotter in the office for making glossy posters and what not for Conferences and what not. Someone tried to be clever about this time last year and used it to print christmas wrapping paper hoping no one would notice.
:psyduck:

That's about the same level of idiocy as a guy who would call his own mobile phone from the work phone and just leave it off hook for hours, because he had a plan that gave him tiny amounts of bonus credit when he received a call.. He racked up hundreds of euros in phone charges for the company just to gain something like 15 euro worth of call time. If you're going to steal from the company at least do it in a way that isn't completely idiotic.

Of course he was quickly found out and sacked.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

BigPaddy posted:

We have an A1 colour plotter in the office for making glossy posters and what not for Conferences and what not. Someone tried to be clever about this time last year and used it to print christmas wrapping paper hoping no one would notice. Cue Global Marketing Director walking in at 6am for a meeting with the UK team.

We have an A0 plotter for engineering drawings that somebody once sent about 40 pages of watches and jewellery from the Argos website to. The office manager stuck them all to an internal window and sent a site-wide email advising whoever did it where to collect their prints. Nobody ever came forward.

poo poo pissing me off: I'm in the UK, my manager is in California. Our work day finishes at 8.30am PST which means we get at most 30 minutes to make any calls without staying late.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
:razz: Hi! I'm trying to log into your website but I have forgotten my password.
:cripes: Are you at the login page of the site now?
:razz: Yes.
:cripes: Do you see the link under the password field that says "Forgot your Password?"
::seven seconds of silence::
:cripes: Never loving call here again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

:razz: Hi! I'm trying to log into your website but I have forgotten my password.
:cripes: Do you see the link under the password field that says "Forgot your Password?"

They didn't click the link and then read the webpage to you? That's what people always do with me.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Pyroclastic posted:

Student Support teacher grabbed me today. Said she was going to need another toner cartridge for her printer soon. Strange, since I gave her a new one just before school started. She's the only one in the building with her own laser printer, since Student Support is basically the special snowflake group that gets to do their own purchasing and poo poo.

Then she drops the printer bomb: "I know when I've gone through about 5 packages of paper, it's about time for a new one."

5 packages? 5 reams? In less than 2 months?
This same building mysteriously 'lost' 7 full boxes of paper (it's what, 10 reams to a box?) last year because it all went to printers rather than the (significantly) cheaper copier. We've been telling staff for years to use our print shop because their printing costs are a fraction of any laser printer's, and you don't even need to send a physical copy for duplication anymore.
Her excuse is that it's the Bridge curriculum, which doesn't really have textbooks but has lots of worksheets. But if you're printing off a 3-page worksheet for 30 kids, that's precisely what the printshop is for! But the office copier is too far away (less than 200 feet)! And the printshop turnaround time might be as long as 48 hours! Printing in advance? Pfft.

It's going to be even worse this year thanks to a new principal and a new office manager (though she was secretary last year, and at least peripherally aware of the problem).

At my school in Japan, the teachers all printed off worksheets basically every day. So something like 1500 pages a day, give or take.

The paper used was cheap recycled stock, basically slightly thicker than tissue paper and yellow as all hell. The copiers used were basically mini newspaper printers that made an image onto a roller and just went to town.

Get her one of those :D

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

I just got a spam email with an attached Word doc. With a Word macro virus. In TYOOL 2014.

It's so cute!

I got one of those on Monday too... I almost fired up Word 2003 to see what it would do.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
One of my coworkers has been telling people that Outlook's auto-archive is buggy and broken and I have never been at a place where that has been the case. Right now he is telling a user how he keeps his Inbox folder completely empty and uses pst files, plural, on his laptop for everything.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I get that almost every day... plus this...

:razz: Hi! I didn't get my forgot-password email
:cripes: Ok, let me look it up for you.

(Notice it was requested 30 seconds ago, wait a couple minutes)

:cripes: I sent another, check again
:razz: Got it, thx!

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Welp, gotta reboot the Dark Lord of Mordor again.

Doesn't even have any goddamned devices to manage. This poo poo hits 100% CPU for no good damned reason and makes vSphere go "Uh, excuse me? poo poo's hosed. Fix it or punt it."

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So continuing my bitching about dealing with some lovely cabling, we got to a site that has 0 drops labeled. 90+ drops, not a single loving label on the jack. I found a notebook in their server room that listed ports on their patch panel with things like "Erica's Office West Wall." Which would be great if there was anyone named Erica there. Or lists rooms that are 2 remodels old.

How the gently caress do you run an IT department but not label a single goddamn drop? I suspect this person has a list on their computer, but they are out this week and their last day is next Friday, so the amount of the fucks they give is probably smaller then 0.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

So continuing my bitching about dealing with some lovely cabling, we got to a site that has 0 drops labeled. 90+ drops, not a single loving label on the jack. I found a notebook in their server room that listed ports on their patch panel with things like "Erica's Office West Wall." Which would be great if there was anyone named Erica there. Or lists rooms that are 2 remodels old.

How the gently caress do you run an IT department but not label a single goddamn drop? I suspect this person has a list on their computer, but they are out this week and their last day is next Friday, so the amount of the fucks they give is probably smaller then 0.

My first job's office was wired like that. We would unplug and replug equipment to a drop and then go to the switch's logs to see which port was going up and down. It was loving ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Welp, gotta reboot the Dark Lord of Mordor again.

Doesn't even have any goddamned devices to manage. This poo poo hits 100% CPU for no good damned reason and makes vSphere go "Uh, excuse me? poo poo's hosed. Fix it or punt it."

But it's ~*award-winning print management software*~, so it's gotta be good, right? :v:

(Literally everything related to all printers everywhere is hosed up and aneurism-inducing)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

mewse posted:

My first job's office was wired like that. We would unplug and replug equipment to a drop and then go to the switch's logs to see which port was going up and down. It was loving ridiculous.
This reminds me to add a cable toner to my toolkit, thanks.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Edit: too specific
Basically, being told how to do my job by someone who doesn't have a clue, and that £2.50 is too expensive for a USB flash drive.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 23, 2014

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

CitizenKain posted:

That's what induction amplifiers and tone generators are for. Oh and a label maker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CitizenKain posted:

They are remodeling our upstairs office. Herman Miller came in and specced out all these triple-cubicle island things and made an open layout. Like $50,000 worth of stuff, nothing too crazy.

They came back yesterday and decided it wasn't worth the $3,000 or whatever it would cost to run new ethernet lines in the floor, and power, so they re-designed it all with traditional cubes on the wall. "just use extension cords"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

They came back yesterday and decided it wasn't worth the $3,000 or whatever it would cost to run new ethernet lines in the floor, and power, so they re-designed it all with traditional cubes on the wall. "just use extension cords"
We have this as well. People want to sit at desk islands, but all the power and network drops are on the walls, so we have to run cables across the floor.. Then they come back and complain that having cable channels on the floor or carpets with cables underneath "looks ugly" .. Yeah well lady, come back when you've either invented wireless AC power or convinced your line manager to pay for ceiling drops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got a kind of weird email early this morning:

quote:

Hello Bob, have a question.

If one has many short cuts on his computer screen does it slow your computer down?

I replied with, "No."

So the 70-year old owner of the company comes down to see me. He's got two newspaper clippings from the early 2000's, and he has a paragraph highlighted. "Experts recommend removing unnecessary desktop shortcuts to keep your computer running as fast as possible."

So of course I'm a drat fool and he's right and he told me I have ten too many shortcuts on my desktop. I have like 20.

Then he said if everyone has 5 extra in the company that really adds up and the next thing you know I'm asking to buy a new server.

:ohdear:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

I got a kind of weird email early this morning:

I replied with, "No."

So the 70-year old owner of the company comes down to see me. He's got two newspaper clippings from the early 2000's, and he has a paragraph highlighted. "Experts recommend removing unnecessary desktop shortcuts to keep your computer running as fast as possible."

So of course I'm a drat fool and he's right and he told me I have ten too many shortcuts on my desktop. I have like 20.

Then he said if everyone has 5 extra in the company that really adds up and the next thing you know I'm asking to buy a new server.

:ohdear:

"Oh, don't worry about that. In 2005 Microsoft released a patch for Windows that fixed the slowdown that extra icons caused. Now you can have as many as you want!"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Volmarias posted:

"Oh, don't worry about that. In 2005 Microsoft released a patch for Windows that fixed the slowdown that extra icons caused. Now you can have as many as you want!"

I'm always too honest to think of good solutions like this. I want to be smart like this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

I'm always too honest to think of good solutions like this. I want to be smart like this.

It took me five minutes to think of this. I too would be standing there with my fly open and flapping in the wind like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Has that every been true? I can't recall any issues with an excess of shortcuts.