Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Can you have an enterprise licensed account as well as have it able to submit apps to the App Store? Or would they have to be two separate accounts? Does Apple care if a company has two separate accounts, one enterprise and one normal?

We've got two, one for App Store and one for Enterprise. Apple doesn't seem to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

fleshweasel posted:

Swift has rough edges still and I think they're noting where the gaps are in the standard library. But it's a good language innately and getting better. I am definitely looking forward to some quality of life features like refactoring and smarter error messages.
At the moment I'm more of looking forward to it not being at pre-alpha levels of stability. The SourceKitService Terminated notice is practically burned into my monitor at this point, and I made it up to 17 Xcode crashes today (only four of which were due to killall -9 swift while trying to work around a livelock (technically I don't know that it was never going to complete, but it didn't respond to any other signals and I gave it an hour on a trash can for shits and giggles)).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone else seeing their app disappear from the App Store just now? The Facebook app is missing, tee hee, which set off a fair number of exciting alerts.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Does Xcode 6.1 have new / changed support for checking C array bounds? First run after updating and it's caught some of my code that hasn't changed in years.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Just got put onto a completely differnet iOS project that's been in the works for ~4 months now by developers who have never done iOS development and they went full on with nibs and storyboards. I've never used either in our enterprise app over the past 2 plus years. This poo poo is bananas.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Doh004 posted:

Just got put onto a completely differnet iOS project that's been in the works for ~4 months now by developers who have never done iOS development and they went full on with nibs and storyboards. I've never used either in our enterprise app over the past 2 plus years. This poo poo is bananas.

I don't get why everyone hates storyboards, they seem to work great for me. Am I going to find out in some horrible way in a year or something?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Dessert Rose posted:

I don't get why everyone hates storyboards, they seem to work great for me. Am I going to find out in some horrible way in a year or something?

Just don't dump the entire app into a single storyboard. I've seen some monster sized (30 controller) storyboards that are just insanely hard to deal with. I try to keep mine small as much as possible (5 controllers or so being larger storyboards).

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Glimm posted:

Just don't dump the entire app into a single storyboard. I've seen some monster sized (30 controller) storyboards that are just insanely hard to deal with. I try to keep mine small as much as possible (5 controllers or so being larger storyboards).

Ah, that makes sense, and also means I need to do some work splitting the elements of my tab view controller into separate storyboards sooner rather than later. It is getting a little bit unwieldy.

I just kind of liked having a big overview of the entire app's flow in one document, but obviously that won't scale.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I never understood people's attraction to that aspect of storyboards. Do people not completely/mostly design their apps before they even open Xcode? The whole flowchart aspect of Storyboards seems redundant to me, since I've already designed how it all goes together before I set about actually implementing the app.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Every app I've worked on has had wireframes before I ever touched the UI, and in every case those wireframes have ceased to have much to do with reality by the time it hits the app store.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
To whoever at Apple who took my whining about Mavericks breaking hibernate sleep seriously: thank you. Yosemite has my personal MBP working flawlessly again, even with my "third party SSD". That bug has to have been officially in the garbage bucket but someone fixed it anyway.

Also Xcode works fine and so far I haven't found any issues except MacHG crashes a lot. Yosemite has been a painless upgrade.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So I a still learning IOS dev and have decided to jump right into swift as obj c makes me want to lie down. Now I understand its not mature and finished and what not but it seems nicer to me.

My question is not regarding swift but more a higher lever design. I want to make a simple app where you write a note, swipe the screen up and it throws it to a sister app on my MBP which displays them all. Should I be using a database and linking with JSON? Or using the new icloud features?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a Handoff job honestly. You should make a handoff icon appear on the Mac that opens up info you entered on your iPhone.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
My idea for the whole app is one of personal interest. It probably wont ever be good enough to release so just a personal project for the time being.

So you open the app on the phone and add a note, or paste a url. Then flick the screen up as if flicking the post it note away. When you next log into your mbp all the notes since you left are stacked on the desktop. Its just for continued reading at a later date.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

From what you've said it sounds like you want to be able to do this even when you are away from your Mac, so that would necessitate iCloud or a similar web service, basically something that's always on and that your mobile application would send data to and your Mac app would ask for updates from. Just a heads up, you do need the paid license to use iCloud in your apps (or has that changed since last year when I tried it?)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

carry on then posted:

From what you've said it sounds like you want to be able to do this even when you are away from your Mac, so that would necessitate iCloud or a similar web service, basically something that's always on and that your mobile application would send data to and your Mac app would ask for updates from. Just a heads up, you do need the paid license to use iCloud in your apps (or has that changed since last year when I tried it?)

Yeah I am pretty sure you need a current dev license for the icloud stuff. My sub expired a few weeks ago... Thinking parsing a JSON into a mySQL database via a php script could work. But if iCloud would make it easy I could just stump up the cash I suppose...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ender.uNF posted:

That bug has to have been officially in the garbage bucket but someone fixed it anyway.

People seem to like to think any bug unfixed after a couple months is ignored. Not the case!

quote:

Also Xcode works fine and so far I haven't found any issues except MacHG crashes a lot.

MacHG?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Mercurial?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

thegasman2000 posted:

So I a still learning IOS dev and have decided to jump right into swift as obj c makes me want to lie down. Now I understand its not mature and finished and what not but it seems nicer to me.

I'm curious about this. Swift still sits on top of the Objective-C runtime, and the Foundation and Cocoa Touch frameworks were all built for Objective-C and their design reflects this. What about Objective-C don't you like?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Just a mercurial client; I still have a few projects that use it instead of git and its not worth switching.

Also for any of you kids that installed the Xcode GM separately: The app store will not prompt you to update Xcode even though 6.1 is out so watch it. On the plus side I should be able to verify all my pending Swift bugs tonight.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Ender.uNF posted:

Just a mercurial client; I still have a few projects that use it instead of git and its not worth switching.

Also for any of you kids that installed the Xcode GM separately: The app store will not prompt you to update Xcode even though 6.1 is out so watch it. On the plus side I should be able to verify all my pending Swift bugs tonight.

And for the love of God back up your signing keys before you fully upgrade. You may need to delete and reinstall them to get Xcode 6.1 to sign your builds.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Doc Block posted:

I'm curious about this. Swift still sits on top of the Objective-C runtime, and the Foundation and Cocoa Touch frameworks were all built for Objective-C and their design reflects this. What about Objective-C don't you like?

As a newbie I find it unreadable and it messed my mind up. Swift is cleaner and more like python which was my first language.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Funny, Swift seems really hard to read for me. And I really dislike significant whitespace, so v:shobon:v

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Doc Block posted:

Funny, Swift seems really hard to read for me. And I really dislike significant whitespace, so v:shobon:v

Yeah I suspect its horses for courses to be honest. Swift feels alot like python for me, which is nice and familiar. I can write what I want in playgrounds but its the storyboard integration that gets all messy in swift. I have previously make apps for ios in air :suicide: so no native experience is killing me.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
gently caress storyboards. :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Doh004 posted:

gently caress storyboards. :argh:

Yeah, I've been there. As was said earlier, just keep 'em small and they're fine.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What about creating prototype cells for UITableViews and things like that? This is clunky as hell.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doh004 posted:

What about creating prototype cells for UITableViews and things like that? This is clunky as hell.

...approximately as clunky as doing separate nibs for each cell?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Never used nibs either, I've done all of my laying out in code. Also, Auto-Layout.

What I'm saying is I'm being stubborn as I get frustrated trying to create a basic loving cell. What would normally take me maybe 10 minutes to do in code just isn't happening in this storyboard.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I love nibs and storyboards.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Never used nibs either, I've done all of my laying out in code. Also, Auto-Layout.

What I'm saying is I'm being stubborn as I get frustrated trying to create a basic loving cell. What would normally take me maybe 10 minutes to do in code just isn't happening in this storyboard.

Well I'm guessing you didn't get results ten minutes into your first time trying it in code either. It's a new way of doing things for you, it'll take some (frustrating) practice until you get good at it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I know, I'm just being a babby.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Fun WKWebView fact: http://www.openradar.me/18039024

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It also doesn't support custom NSURLProtocols!

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

lord funk posted:

Speaking of basic editor functionality that sucks in Xcode, can we please get a 'dark mode' for Xcode? I can't stand the fact that the UI stays bright when you switch to a dark editing color scheme. How does anyone like that?

Or is this one of Apple's decisions for me, like how everything in iOS should be white?

Holy ever loving gently caress this if they give me an Xcode dark mode I will never ever complain about anything again ever

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OS X programming question: how the hell do I make an NSTextField resign focus and lose the focus ring when the user is done editing the text? Specifically, once the user has pressed Enter after typing something in?

All the (very old) suggestions I've seen (call -resignFirstResponder on the text field, call [myAppWindow makeFirstResponder:nil]) don't work.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doc Block posted:

OS X programming question: how the hell do I make an NSTextField resign focus and lose the focus ring when the user is done editing the text? Specifically, once the user has pressed Enter after typing something in?

All the (very old) suggestions I've seen (call -resignFirstResponder on the text field, call [myAppWindow makeFirstResponder:nil]) don't work.

Is there another view that should acquire focus? Or is this a case where there's only one field, so the field just gets fully selected once the user commits it?

Also, check out the NSEditor & NSEditorRegistration protocols. They're part of bindings, but they're also useful outside that. (For example, for committing or discarding in-progress editing when the user presses a button.)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
No other view should acquire focus, I just want the text field to end editing and lose focus when the user presses Enter, instead of highlighting the text and keeping the focus ring like it currently does.

The text field changes some values that would make things wonky if the values were changed as the user types, so it only updates once the editing has ended (the user pressed Enter or something else became first responder). And while this all works, it's just kind of annoying that the text field keeps focus and highlights the text after Enter has been pressed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Has anyone here had to deal with the App Store Review Guideline 25.6 "Keyboard extensions must provide Number and Decimal keyboard types as described in the App Extension Programming Guide or they will be rejected"? I cannot find anything about this in the cited programming guide, so I'm not sure what exactly is expected. I'll see about an exception (it's for Awful's smilie keyboard, I'm not sure adding numbers makes any sense whatsoever), and barring that I guess I'll throw 0-9,. on a screen and show it when the keyboard type is numeric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

pokeyman posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with the App Store Review Guideline 25.6 "Keyboard extensions must provide Number and Decimal keyboard types as described in the App Extension Programming Guide or they will be rejected"? I cannot find anything about this in the cited programming guide, so I'm not sure what exactly is expected. I'll see about an exception (it's for Awful's smilie keyboard, I'm not sure adding numbers makes any sense whatsoever), and barring that I guess I'll throw 0-9,. on a screen and show it when the keyboard type is numeric?

My Unicode keyboard doesn't do anything special for Number/Decimal and they accepted it without any feedback :shrug: