Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Subs for ToQ 32 are out. Major plot bombs being dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

jivjov posted:

Subs for ToQ 32 are out. Major plot bombs being dropped.

If anyone decides to hop back on this train to see what's going on, or is planning on pulling out of the station for the first time, I highly recommend watching 31 first! (They're really good episodes!)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

If anyone decides to hop back on this train to see what's going on, or is planning on pulling out of the station for the first time, I highly recommend watching 31 first! (They're really good episodes!)

Yeah I feel like you cut a large swathe of the early episodes and ToQger would be much better for it.

Though that would lose a lot of the main plotline- The villains character development. Maybe an edit like Kamen Rider IXA would benefit the show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah I feel like you cut a large swathe of the early episodes and ToQger would be much better for it.

Though that would lose a lot of the main plotline- The villains character development. Maybe an edit like Kamen Rider IXA would benefit the show.

I could see an edit where it focuses on the Shadow Line development and you just gets parts here and there of the ToQgers/Rainbow Line. Even on some of the more boring or terrible episodes, the Shadow Line segments still turn out to be entertaining or interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Sorry, that may have sounded a little harsh. Thanks for the info, it's certainly interesting to know, and it explains why the first episode seemed to be devoid of exposition.

It's all good.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
just finished gaim. reminded me of W a little where it had two separate endings.

Definitely one of the best of the Neo-Heisei era

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
so one thing I'm happy that Gaim abandoned, as it was ANOTHER toy gimmick that started with Double where Double also did it the best- though OOOs did an OK job at it too.

The little robot buddy helpers.

Drive has also abandoned the concept, so I'm hoping we're out of that useless accessory.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

so one thing I'm happy that Gaim abandoned, as it was ANOTHER toy gimmick that started with Double where Double also did it the best- though OOOs did an OK job at it too.

Drive has also abandoned the concept, so I'm hoping we're out of that useless accessory.

Seems like they folded that into the shift-cars, so we won't see any more roleplay accessories out of it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Burkion posted:

Didn't it start with Hibiki?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Subs for Carranger 37 are up. Thought you all should know.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Son Ryo posted:

Didn't it start with Hibiki?

I'm pretty sure Hibiki had it first, yeah, with the animal disks. I guess you could maybe count Kabuto too since the Zecters sort of had minds of their own to a degree.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm pretty sure Hibiki had it first, yeah, with the animal disks. I guess you could maybe count Kabuto too since the Zecters sort of had minds of their own to a degree.

Yes but with W, Forze, and Wizard, the gimmick of the year was tied into it. The W devices had Gaia memories, the Foodroids used switches and the Summon beasts had rings placed in them somewhere.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

mateo360 posted:

Yes but with W, Forze, and Wizard, the gimmick of the year was tied into it. The W devices had Gaia memories, the Foodroids used switches and the Summon beasts had rings placed in them somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Hibiki used the same tuning fork thing he used to transform to activate the animal discs, and the Zecters WERE the gimmick of Kabuto...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Zecters I don't count because they were vital TO transformation. I know almost nothing about Hibiki, so I didn't know he had any thing like it.

I'm referring to extraneous, useless robot buddies that are just there to be toys but have nothing to do with the Rider himself and MAYBE be useful to the main characters if the writers care enough. W did it best in my eyes, OOOs did an OK job at it though they could have used the lion bike more.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I think they worked pretty well in W. They were goofy animals, but they were detective tools used by a detective. It was neat seeing Double use them for his finishers, too.

Wizard did a fairly good job with them too. A Wizard using familiars to help him out is cute and fitting. One of the few good things about that terrible show.

Foodroids are just goofy and I didn't like them.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Son Ryo posted:

I'm pretty sure Hibiki used the same tuning fork thing he used to transform to activate the animal discs, and the Zecters WERE the gimmick of Kabuto...

I don't count the Zecters since they were part of the transformation belt, wristwatch, gun, etc and therefore part of the suit.

I can't remember if Hibiki used the fork for the animals but the it wasn't only used for the discs. The buddies had Gaia memories and rigs used exclusively for the buddies. Forze maybe used the switches the buddies had maybe once or twice.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Burkion

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dexie posted:

I think they worked pretty well in W. They were goofy animals, but they were detective tools used by a detective. It was neat seeing Double use them for his finishers, too.

Wizard did a fairly good job with them too. A Wizard using familiars to help him out is cute and fitting. One of the few good things about that terrible show.

Foodroids are just goofy and I didn't like them.

Wizard's familiars actually fought with some dude like once when they combined.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Right, I don't think I saw that one. What episode was that?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Drive episode 3 is out. Dream Vegas is officially my new favorite form just for that hilarious CGI on the finisher.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I do like the rather elementary twist in this episode.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Has a return to the 2-part format been confirmed somewhere? It seems that's where the show's headed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

mateo360 posted:

I can't remember if Hibiki used the fork for the animals but the it wasn't only used for the discs.

Yes, Hibiki would hit the discs with his fork, and used the fork to call them, but the disc animals were otherwise identical to the buddies in Wizard. He'd use them to scout for makamou, but they never played any significant role in the series, and had little to do with the Oni's powers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Drive episode 3 is out. Dream Vegas is officially my new favorite form just for that hilarious CGI on the finisher.
I'm going to do a bad thing, and shamelessly steal a comment I saw somewhere on Tumblr about Mashin/Machine Chaser.

"You can try to be menacing all you want, but you still henshin with a Bop-It".

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm going to do a bad thing, and shamelessly steal a comment I saw somewhere on Tumblr about Mashin/Machine Chaser.

"You can try to be menacing all you want, but you still henshin with a Bop-It".

And people think a laser pistol shaped like a lamp is silly. :rolleyes:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Drive is rather underwhelming thus far. Two episode arcs, lovely hot wheels constantly popping in, a supporting cast that tries way too goddamn hard to be zany and a boring main character. Not wizard boring mind you, but still not interesting enough to care about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Serious Frolicking posted:

Drive is rather underwhelming thus far. Two episode arcs, lovely hot wheels constantly popping in, a supporting cast that tries way too goddamn hard to be zany and a boring main character. Not wizard boring mind you, but still not interesting enough to care about.
Maybe. It's interesting to compare the series with Fourze, where everyone was a walking trope of a high school clique, and then had the implications, and what made them people, examined more closely. It's too early to tell if they'll do that here.

I'm also suspecting it's going to be fairly rider-heavy, since the secondary rider showing up in the third episode is pretty drat early if he's the only one around. Birth didn't show up until the mid-teens in OOO, right? And even then, that arc was dragged out for way longer than it needed to be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, I'm not saying it definitely won't improve. Three episodes in is kind of early to make a prediction either way. Those three episodes haven't really grabbed me, is all.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Finished watching Ultraman Max yet? Because Crunchyroll just put up Ultraman Mebius.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm also suspecting it's going to be fairly rider-heavy, since the secondary rider showing up in the third episode is pretty drat early if he's the only one around. Birth didn't show up until the mid-teens in OOO, right? And even then, that arc was dragged out for way longer than it needed to be.

Mashin Chaser is not a Rider though. He's a Rider-like enemy, but definitely not a Rider himself.

He's almost definitely becoming Kamen Rider Mach later, making him a sort of Gotou or Kagami, in that he appears very early in the series but doesn't become a Rider until much later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

*YES*

I love this so loving much!

Everyone watch this right the gently caress now!

It's fantastic and blends the Ultraman style SUPER well with the Sentai style. It's kind of Ultraman's Gokaiger/Decade, only it's infinitely superior to both as a celebration series and on its own, in my opinion.

THIS IS THE BEST TIME

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Wow, I wasn't expecting them to put another Ultraman so quickly. This is great news.

Burkion posted:

*YES*

I love this so loving much!

Everyone watch this right the gently caress now!

It's fantastic and blends the Ultraman style SUPER well with the Sentai style. It's kind of Ultraman's Gokaiger/Decade, only it's infinitely superior to both as a celebration series and on its own, in my opinion.

THIS IS THE BEST TIME

Is there any required watching? And I thought Ginga was Ultraman's Decade/Gokaiger. :hurr:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Solaris Knight posted:

Is there any required watching? And I thought Ginga was Ultraman's Decade/Gokaiger. :hurr:

Technically, Ultra-Q through Ultraman 80 feed into it in the same way all the Sentai feed into Gokaiger (Decade was bullshit). In practice though, they tell you all you really need to know about those guys as it becomes relevant, because it's a much better written show than any of the three in that quote.

By the way, you know Keiichi Hasegawa? Dude who wrote on W and Fourze? He worked on Mebius. Also, it features the legendary Ichiro Itano working on CG direction, which is a thing he is good at (do not let him write anything ever you don't want to see anything he's written).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I brought this yesterday.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

AzraelNewtype posted:

Technically, Ultra-Q through Ultraman 80 feed into it in the same way all the Sentai feed into Gokaiger (Decade was bullshit). In practice though, they tell you all you really need to know about those guys as it becomes relevant, because it's a much better written show than any of the three in that quote.

By the way, you know Keiichi Hasegawa? Dude who wrote on W and Fourze? He worked on Mebius. Also, it features the legendary Ichiro Itano working on CG direction, which is a thing he is good at (do not let him write anything ever you don't want to see anything he's written).

Good to know. I should look into it then, but I don't want to pay for Crunchyroll again until Jojo comes back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mebius is just so loving good it's embarrassing how much I love the show.

I got it on lovely HK Subs DVD a billion years ago when I only had dial up and even then I could make sense of the plot and love it. Actually being able to understand it with fansubs made it even better and now it's officially licensed.

I hope Nexus/Gaia/Tiga/Dyna is next!

And yeah they cover pretty expertly what happened previously and who these returning characters are- and EACH of the past heroes get big moments to themselves. And the best part is, whenever it is at all feasible, as in the actor hasn't sadly passed away, they bring back the old actors to reprise their roles.

But again- it's not just a celebration of the past, but also a fantastic story of its own. It's the most shonen thing I've ever seen, but it does it so well and with so much heart it makes it work. The power up for Mebius is LITERALLY the power of friendship, and it's beautiful.

the first 9 or so episodes alone make a great mini season without any returning heroes what so ever.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger/Ninninja

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
So the ToQGers get the Go-Busters treatment when all the ninjas team up in 2016.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Wait, they announced the new season ALREADY?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

Wait, they announced the new season ALREADY?

I think it's typically around this time that we at least know the name/theme of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, if anything this feels a week or two later than normal.

• Locked thread