Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

This looks all very cool, but the positioner is overwriting some of the renamer's scripts. Any way I can use them both together with MO?

E: Also, don't suppose there's a mod that lets you add light sources or chests or things eh? The vanilla houses are really dark. I noticed that one of Jaxonz's mods let you add chests and stuff to your house which I thought was really cool, but it seems like it's incomplete.

I'm reasonably sure they just use one of the same scripts. Overwriting should be fine, because they just both have a copy of the script.

Positioner does that, by the way. Find a lamp or chest you like, hit the button to copy it to your inventory, go home, drop it, position it around, voila. You can do it with things like staff enchanters, and it works just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is gonna be a terrible rabbit hole isn't it

In the sense that you'll be pulling out your hair, spending more time modding than actually playing and get to see all the wonderful things that the Nexus has to offer, yes. Be sure to swing by the Awesome/Awful Mods thread to get your fill of Nipple Magic, post-Newtonian tits and eviscerated anime woman torsos on sticks.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Modding Bethesda games is both one of the most rewarding and depressing video game experiences ever.

But being able to take a fun game and make it exceptionally deeper and more rewarding via modding is worth it. Just remember to play the game every now and then.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm reasonably sure they just use one of the same scripts. Overwriting should be fine, because they just both have a copy of the script.

Positioner does that, by the way. Find a lamp or chest you like, hit the button to copy it to your inventory, go home, drop it, position it around, voila. You can do it with things like staff enchanters, and it works just fine!

awh sweet, didn't know that was a feature. Thanks!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gyshall posted:

Modding Bethesda games is both one of the most rewarding and depressing video game experiences ever.

But being able to take a fun game and make it exceptionally deeper and more rewarding via modding is worth it. Just remember to play the game every now and then.

Hey, I'll have you know I'm up to level 23.

Which is really just a soft 12 without the uncapper. :saddowns:

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

LtSmash posted:

I'd suggest using Tes5Edit to adjust values. Copy as override the weapons/armors into a new file and change the values in that. That way if the mod updates your changes won't be erased when the esp is replaced. It also lets you change multiple mods in a single esp so you don't have to dig through each of your mods to see if you've changed it.

:psyduck: Holy hell, is there a way to sort entries by type to cross-reference them? Like getting a list of all two-handed swords, or hell even just two-handed weapons? This is going to take awhile otherwise, though I guess I can just go through myself and copy the weapon entries for each type one chunk at a time for balancing. Even then, a sort option that doesn't operate on a ctrl-f basis would be nice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kraven Moorhed posted:

:psyduck: Holy hell, is there a way to sort entries by type to cross-reference them? Like getting a list of all two-handed swords, or hell even just two-handed weapons? This is going to take awhile otherwise, though I guess I can just go through myself and copy the weapon entries for each type one chunk at a time for balancing. Even then, a sort option that doesn't operate on a ctrl-f basis would be nice.

I thiiiink that one of these could help with this? Maybe??

Automation Tools for TES5Edit

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Oh jeez. I got the impression you were only doing it with a handful of items. Automation Tools might help, I'm not really sure what its things all do. TesEdit can also dump stats to an excel file so you can edit them as text and then import them. Not sure of the details on that.

The other option is I've been giving some advice to Qotsafan (of the Reproccer compatibility patches that are linked from time to time) and he's making a patcher to adjust items based on a number of criteria and make dynamic compatibility patches. I haven't been a huge help in actually testing since I hardly have a real load order to speak of. I messaged him about letting you try what he's got which might help both of you. I'll let you know if he's up for it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

sticklefifer posted:

Hey, I'll have you know I'm up to level 23.

Which is really just a soft 12 without the uncapper. :saddowns:

I'm up to level 56 and I haven't even gone to the Thalmor party. :shepface:

~*tadaaaa*~

hey kid stop crying jeez do you want someone killed or what I don't have all day

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

What armour set is that? It looks fabulous.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is there a way to check if random dragon attacks got disabled by a mod or anything somehow? My character has 15 hours of play time and ive only encountered one wild dragon ever (which flew off chasing god knows what).

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

The Iron Rose posted:

What armour set is that? It looks fabulous.

Purple tribunal robes from Immersive Armors :toot:

Hangin' out in the breastriary in Nippopolis ;-*

Also dang sometimes this game can be really pretty. I'm sure my asston of mods helps but still.

:ninja:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I made kind of a long post about Jaxonz Positioner a while back and recently started using the Renamer and they are both fantastic if you like customizing your characters' living space. I haven't tried the Crafting Helper yet but it looks pretty handy. Adding candles everywhere is one of my favorite things to do. I have also moved a follower past an area they wouldn't follow me (a big drop) by putting them in my inventory :v:

Be sure to grab Lance's Show Room for a convenient place to copy furniture from, and FPI Gallery is a good for decor items. You can also copy mod-added stuff so I always grab stuff like those vegetable baskets and crates ETaC adds everywhere.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Everything Burrito posted:

I made kind of a long post about Jaxonz Positioner a while back and recently started using the Renamer and they are both fantastic if you like customizing your characters' living space. I haven't tried the Crafting Helper yet but it looks pretty handy. Adding candles everywhere is one of my favorite things to do. I have also moved a follower past an area they wouldn't follow me (a big drop) by putting them in my inventory :v:

Whoa! I hope you poked air holes in the cardboard box. You don't want to open it up and have a dead J'zargo fall out.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

LtSmash posted:

Oh jeez. I got the impression you were only doing it with a handful of items. Automation Tools might help, I'm not really sure what its things all do. TesEdit can also dump stats to an excel file so you can edit them as text and then import them. Not sure of the details on that.

The other option is I've been giving some advice to Qotsafan (of the Reproccer compatibility patches that are linked from time to time) and he's making a patcher to adjust items based on a number of criteria and make dynamic compatibility patches. I haven't been a huge help in actually testing since I hardly have a real load order to speak of. I messaged him about letting you try what he's got which might help both of you. I'll let you know if he's up for it.

Hmm, I'll mess around with Automation Tools and see what comes of it. I think I can combine a few of these scripts to do what I need, but if nothing else it looks like something worth messing around with.

As for Qotsafan, that'd be great! If my horrible Frankenstein's monster of a load order can serve the greater good I'd love to lend a hand. There's not a drop of Java in me that doesn't come from a coffee cup, but I've flogged several different patchers into submission so far.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LtSmash posted:

Whoa! I hope you poked air holes in the cardboard box. You don't want to open it up and have a dead J'zargo fall out.

Well, we are unable to observe whether J'Zargo is alive or dead at this point. Schrodinger's Khajiit!

Anyhow, I've created my own preset for Customizable Favorites Menu:

It has built-in support for a shitload of stuff: Apocalypse, Midas Magic, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, all the DLCs, Thunderchild, Spectraverse, Dwemertech, a bunch of other crap. Download it here.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

LtSmash posted:

In my mind it was sort of like a papoose, but with arms and legs hanging out everywhere.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

My battlemage is moody that even my 970 can't run 60 fps with all my mods at 1080p. Good thing my bigger screen is only 720p.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and burger posted:

My battlemage is moody that even my 970 can't run 60 fps with all my mods at 1080p. Good thing my bigger screen is only 720p.

...what is your modlist? I thought a 970 would crush 1080p.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

pmchem posted:

...what is your modlist? I thought a 970 would crush 1080p.

It is probably his ENB killing the FPS.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Reminder that ENB is a hack made by some Russian that is poorly optimized because he refuses to upgrade from the nvidia gt9800s he has because reasons.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I knew there was a good reason I wasn't using ENB with my 970. I also think that ENB looks like crap in all it's forms except one I found for New Vegas.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I like the color correction stuff in some of the ENBs like Quietcool and The Wilds but really can't stand the super twitchy DOF or vaseline smear a lot of them add.

e: I don't know if anyone has been following the development of that DragonBorn Gallery mod that was posted about a few pages ago but Jesus Christ. It's a great example of modders letting the scope run away from them. It's gotten to be so bloated that his auto sort and auto display scripts were giving him CTDs and he's in the process of rewriting the thing. Not to mention he's trying to work on a huge questline that goes along with it, still adding in items from the vanilla game that don't have displays, and build compatibility patches for most major mods by himself.

I would have been happy with just the well laid out rooms to display all my ill gotten gains.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 22, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Duck and burger posted:

It's probably just your particular ENB configuration, although my 970 has been crushing things even with ENB settings set to "High" or "Highest" where available, and SweetFX. To slow things down a bit more to 60 FPS, I had to severely up the draw distances on everything and install a super-thick-grass-everywhere mod.

Burns
May 10, 2008

FadedReality posted:

I like the color correction stuff in some of the ENBs like Quietcool and The Wilds but really can't stand the super twitchy DOF or vaseline smear a lot of them add.

Its a good thing its configurable.

Anyway, gently caress Bethesda and what passes as the Hearthfire homes. They tried to give each upgrade a theme yet completely failed and just put loving BARRELS everywhere. Now thanks to Jaxonz Positioner I've been trying to make each room look like its function as much as possible. I also moved things like the Smithy from the cellar (because giving everyone toxic fume poisoning is fun) and moved it outside next to the smelter. I've tried to make the rooms more helpful for myself, so for example the Storage Room now has the alchemy table and Enchanting table that were initially in the main hall. The main hall is now more of a dedicated dining room and I also moved the dining table slightly to add chairs around the fireplace. Also there are so many Barrels, gently caress!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329999578

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Burns posted:

Its a good thing its configurable.

Anyway, gently caress Bethesda and what passes as the Hearthfire homes. They tried to give each upgrade a theme yet completely failed and just put loving BARRELS everywhere. Now thanks to Jaxonz Positioner I've been trying to make each room look like its function as much as possible. I also moved things like the Smithy from the cellar (because giving everyone toxic fume poisoning is fun) and moved it outside next to the smelter. I've tried to make the rooms more helpful for myself, so for example the Storage Room now has the alchemy table and Enchanting table that were initially in the main hall. The main hall is now more of a dedicated dining room and I also moved the dining table slightly to add chairs around the fireplace. Also there are so many Barrels, gently caress!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329999578

They're drat hard to mod, too, so there's a limited number of remodels of the things.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I kinda quit using the Hearthfire houses because of all of those reasons and haven't gone back to them because I know tricking out a house that size with the Positioner will completely consume my life, so I've been decorating smaller ones in the meantime. Tower of the Wolf gave me pillows; I made some benches a lot more cozy with pillows on the seat (also used the rolled-up towels from FPI Gallery like bolster pillows for variety). Tiny stuff like that adds so much to a house and it's pretty depressing how lazy the interior design in most of the game is (barrels).

Need. More. Clutter!! :unsmigghh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Speaking of houses, I want a castle. Not super super city sized big, but stuff like Strunmah is a bit too small. Somewhere I can put all my poo poo that has decent lighting, and hopefully isn;'t too too ugly. Any suggestions?

Player homes in general too I guess but I'm in a castle-y mood.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Chronojam posted:

It's probably just your particular ENB configuration, although my 970 has been crushing things even with ENB settings set to "High" or "Highest" where available, and SweetFX. To slow things down a bit more to 60 FPS, I had to severely up the draw distances on everything and install a super-thick-grass-everywhere mod.

It's K ENB Extreme, so it's the most brutal one I could find. I got ahold of that ENB manager and tried about ten different ones, True Vision, Real Vision, Project ENB, etc etc; but most of them blew out so much color or added some kind of weird tint. I guess we could talk about good ENBs here, if anyone's got suggestions.

Scyantific posted:

Reminder that ENB is a hack made by some Russian that is poorly optimized because he refuses to upgrade from the nvidia gt9800s he has because reasons.

If you've got an alternative, feel free to share it, Mr. Genius.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Iron Rose posted:

Speaking of houses, I want a castle. Not super super city sized big, but stuff like Strunmah is a bit too small. Somewhere I can put all my poo poo that has decent lighting, and hopefully isn;'t too too ugly. Any suggestions?

Player homes in general too I guess but I'm in a castle-y mood.

It's not a castle, but I've been using Elysium Estate and liking it so far. It's really well designed and has a lot of display options in the basement.

I'm not sure if I'm too picky, but I'm not happy with like 99% of house mods out there. I really should take some time to learn how to make my own, or at least how to edit existing homes.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Welp, I don't know what to do. I was farting along playing happily with no issues and then all of the sudden I'm getting random CTDs when loading into the main menu. I know it's random because with the same exact load order there's about a 1 in 5 chance it won't poo poo the bed and I can play for however long I feel like. I've tried disabling all sorts of mods, rebuilding bashed and merged patches, cleaned every mod, removed all errors, and triple checked for missing masters. My other testing profile in MO that has even more mods enabled loads in fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I created some sort of instability adding and removing mods from that profile, though I thought that only happened with the actual saves themselves.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
For my next run (unarmed Khajit - The Way Of Fist And Claw :ninja:), I was planning on building out the Hearthfire homes fully, but leaving them unfurnished and using the Positioner to finish them myself. (I *really really* want to horse around making an actual Skull Throne, for example :black101:.) Not sure if the player character can do the proper Overlord Slouch, though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FadedReality posted:

e: I don't know if anyone has been following the development of that DragonBorn Gallery mod that was posted about a few pages ago but Jesus Christ. It's a great example of modders letting the scope run away from them. It's gotten to be so bloated that his auto sort and auto display scripts were giving him CTDs and he's in the process of rewriting the thing. Not to mention he's trying to work on a huge questline that goes along with it, still adding in items from the vanilla game that don't have displays, and build compatibility patches for most major mods by himself.

I would have been happy with just the well laid out rooms to display all my ill gotten gains.

I don't think the problem is scope. The problem is that he is rushing his builds and is at a point where he could really benefit from creating some testing scripts. He is running into limitations in the game which are not made very clear to modders. Any developer can tell you that not being told about all of the limitations within the system/platform you are developing for is an absolute pain to deal with both during design and implementation.

It is easy to call his additions bloat, but the content consists of expanding the core of what makes the mod awesome which is more displays and quality of life features to go with them and the safe house. People want this stuff. They want it to be stable too though which is why he really needs to test more before releasing builds.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Should I bother with ENB or any realistic lighting things

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

I think Climates of Tamriel is great, but ENB isn't worth it. If you're interested make sure to look up videos of ENBs because pictures don't really show what any of them look like.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Xavier434 posted:

I don't think the problem is scope. The problem is that he is rushing his builds and is at a point where he could really benefit from creating some testing scripts. He is running into limitations in the game which are not made very clear to modders. Any developer can tell you that not being told about all of the limitations within the system/platform you are developing for is an absolute pain to deal with both during design and implementation.

It is easy to call his additions bloat, but the content consists of expanding the core of what makes the mod awesome which is more displays and quality of life features to go with them and the safe house. People want this stuff. They want it to be stable too though which is why he really needs to test more before releasing builds.

Fair points and I guess what I'm really saying is I'd much rather see what's there get fixed and polished up before adding a bunch of other side stuff like quests and dungeons. Work on what you like, sure, but adding more testing for yourself when you've still got a list of fixes that need to be done seems counterproductive.

I will give him big points for updating his posts constantly with what he's trying to do and problems he's running into.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm a big fan of ELFX.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

ZenVulgarity posted:

Realistic lighting, yes. ELFX is really great and has minimal performance impact. Seems to be more compatible than RLO. ENB, maybe. They (generally) have a big performance impact and are really a matter of taste in a way that the other visual mods are not. A liiiittle bloom and anti-aliasing definitely looks nice though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

FadedReality posted:

Fair points and I guess what I'm really saying is I'd much rather see what's there get fixed and polished up before adding a bunch of other side stuff like quests and dungeons. Work on what you like, sure, but adding more testing for yourself when you've still got a list of fixes that need to be done seems counterproductive.

I will give him big points for updating his posts constantly with what he's trying to do and problems he's running into.

He recently locked the feature requests section for this exact reason. He realized that he was creating too much too quickly and the bugs were catching up in a bad way. Since then he does seem to be dedicating most of his time to bug fixes and optimizations. He has not completely refrained from adding new stuff though. The good news is that what he has added does not seem to be resource heavy like new decks. He is more involved with trying to improve existing features/scripts so that they use up less resources and fix bugs to make room for new features in the future. He still has a problem with releasing fixes too soon though and he is now playing catch up with bugs.

imo, it is good time to just sit back and enjoy the current version that you have with the mod and just give him a month or two to work out a lot of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So what is the real story on the "Dragon Combat Overhaul" and "Civil War Overhaul," and I guess the rest of apollodown's mods? It's about as tough to cut through the :nexus: hugbox raving as it is to decipher his nonsense descriptions, but the the overall message seems to be that despite the author's personal "quirks," the mods are ambitious and do fun things but are prone to bugs because what they try to do is necessarily very difficult.

I just remember trying an earlier version of DCO last summer and being baffled at dragon behavior, and perplexed by the decision to give them effectively insta-kill supermoves that randomly proc after you go through the effort of fighting them to low health, but they are also just as likely to straight up fly away, ruining your fun in another way.

• Locked thread