Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

dik-dik posted:

Sure, I'll bite:

Budget: $200-300
Sources: (1) Macbook Air → Schiit Modi → Schiit Magni; (2) Turntable → Schiit Magni
Isolation: N/A
Headphone Type: Over-the-ear/Full-size
Music preferences: Fairly varied. Recently I've been listening to a lot of jazz and mind-bendy bullshit like later Miles Davis and John Zorn; I also listen to a lot of indie rock, electronic, hip-hop, classical, and folk.

What I'm looking for: Comfortable headphones that deliver a lot of detail. I like to be able to pick out the individual pieces of complicated music while I'm listening. I don't want highs that are going to punch me in the face (super high sounds can give me very mild headaches). I like a fair amount of bass but I don't think I'm quite what you'd call a "basshead."

I'm currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT880's — probably the 600 or 250 ohm version. I think the Magni can handle that, right? And higher impedance = higher signal-to-noise ratio, right? Feel free to correct me if I'm totally wrong. My dad has the 32 ohm version and they're comfortable as poo poo.

Basically I'm looking for someone to either convince me to buy the 880's, or convince me that something else in that price range is going to be noticeably better.

Also if someone could clear up whether higher impedance truly is better (assuming you have an amp that can drive them), that would be cool.

Magni can definitely handle any version of the DT series.

PS: Dt 880 are solid options. Also PS: Go with the higher impedance whenever given an option. I don't remember the technical reasons, but there is a small benefit even when using a low output impedance amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know of an adapter that would add an in-line mute to a 2.5mm headset? I'm currently using Bose IE2--which I generally like--but really need a mute switch for conference calls. Hitting the power button, sliding up, and tapping "mute/unmute" takes too long during a conversation.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Midorka posted:

Magni can definitely handle any version of the DT series.

PS: Dt 880 are solid options. Also PS: Go with the higher impedance whenever given an option. I don't remember the technical reasons, but there is a small benefit even when using a low output impedance amp.

Sweet! Just ordered the 600 Ohm version. For anyone else looking at these cans, Amazon currently has a bunch with "minor cosmetic damages" for ~$200-210; seems like a steal when compared to the $350 price for a completely new set.

Also just wanted to add I really appreciate this thread; it's a much-needed antidote to all the bullshit voodoo and magical thinking I see on places like Head-Fi.

E: Midorka, I'm a creepy motherfucker and found you on last.fm and saw that we have extremely similar musical tastes. What are your personal favorite circumaural headphones?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 17, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Hello I am going to start going to the gym again on Monday and I need new headphones before that happens.

Budget: up to 450 but I would obviously like to not spend that much.
Source: Mostly an iPhone/iPod
Type: over-ear/circumaural. Anything that goes in my ear reacts badly with me
Music preferences: mostly mid90s hardcore, but a lot of hip hop/modern hardcore/etc. Let's say 'varied'

I really just want something I can comfortably wear while exercising that still has decent sound quality. I don't need noise isolation or anything, I just want to be able to zone out without hearing The Hits of Today.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Hello I am going to start going to the gym again on Monday and I need new headphones before that happens.

Budget: up to 450 but I would obviously like to not spend that much.
Source: Mostly an iPhone/iPod
Type: over-ear/circumaural. Anything that goes in my ear reacts badly with me
Music preferences: mostly mid90s hardcore, but a lot of hip hop/modern hardcore/etc. Let's say 'varied'

I really just want something I can comfortably wear while exercising that still has decent sound quality. I don't need noise isolation or anything, I just want to be able to zone out without hearing The Hits of Today.

So let me tell you this: Spending any more than like $20-$50 on gym headphones is incredibly stupid. They will be in contact with sweaty skin exposing them to moisture, they will be prone to dropping, and will be used in high stress environments. I don't know what to recommend to you, but spending $100+ on gym headphones is a stupid idea, especially since you won't be actually listening to the music anyway, it'll just be background noise.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well, ideally they'll be pulling double duty and also get used to actually listen to music, but fair enough. I wasn't sure if there was something out there that could handle the gym wear and tear and still deliver good quality.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Get beaters for the gym and good headphones otherwise.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Amazon's Deal of the Day is the Klipsch S4i Rugged in various colors

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

dik-dik posted:

Sweet! Just ordered the 600 Ohm version. For anyone else looking at these cans, Amazon currently has a bunch with "minor cosmetic damages" for ~$200-210; seems like a steal when compared to the $350 price for a completely new set.

Also just wanted to add I really appreciate this thread; it's a much-needed antidote to all the bullshit voodoo and magical thinking I see on places like Head-Fi.

E: Midorka, I'm a creepy motherfucker and found you on last.fm and saw that we have extremely similar musical tastes. What are your personal favorite circumaural headphones?

I just saw your edit, my personal favorites are the Audio Technica Ad2000, Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs, Oppo PM-1, KAM HP-1, Beyer Dt880, Audio Technica Ad900 and Audio Technica A900x, off of the top of my head. All have different applications. I haven't heard everything but these stand out as good values imo.

Duckwaffle posted:

Budget: $100
Source: PC secondary sound card
Isolation Requirements: None
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size
Past Headphones: JVC Harx900

I have been using the Harx900 for a few years now and they have been very good for me so far. Looking on line I could get a replacement pair for about the same price as before, but I would like to see if what is out there before I do that. Based on what I can find from the OP and the cost from Amazon Canada, the KRK KNS6400 look like a good option. The only major concern for me would be comfort as I could be wearing these for many hours at a time.

Check out to see how much the NVX XPT100 are in Canada. They are great.

Mazzletoff posted:

Budget: Look, I'm just here to find out if these are good; so I guess it's 300?
Source: PC with a Magni Amp.
Isolation Requirements: It's preferred, but not necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: I'm going to be using them at my house where I live, so I would REALLY LIKE THEM TO BE OVER THE EARS
Past Headphones: I currently use a set of Beyerdynamic DT770s for going out, and I use Sennheiser HD598s for home.

Now the main reason I actually did this has nothing to do with the above, because I know enough about 'phones to get by. Does anyone have a set of these? I'm seriously debating if I should pick them up and replace my 598s with them - they're a lot better according to what I've read, and they look really comfortable. Anyone know anything about them?

The Mad Dogs are great, but I dunno how much more you'll enjoy them over the HD598. The Mad Dogs are neutral, comfortable and rather open for a closed can. The customer support is great despite it being a DIY hobbyist turned business. For $300 I think they are incredible, but they don't bring music to life. They are clean and detailed though.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 18, 2014

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone have any recommendations for Bluetooth headphones for use with my phone, suitable for podcasts and music? Mainly for use at the gym so preferably earbuds or maybe one of those behind the head headband things. There doesn't seem to be much in between sub-£20 cheap chinese rubbish (I tried one and am now returning it. The fit was terrible and it was loving MONO), and £60+, which look decent, but I was hoping not to have to spend that much.

I'm looking at either the Plantronics GO 2 or the Backbeat Fit at the moment, but I was hoping to spend a bit less than either of them cost. That said, it's looking like they might be my only viable choice, so if anyone happens to have tried both and can compare them, I'd be interested in hearing that too. The GO2 seems like it might be the best option, but Plantronics said it's more targetted for people "on the go" than doing exercise, so I'm concerned about them falling out a lot. On the other hand, the Fit looks great for that, but apparently it doesn't make a great seal with your ears so there's a tradeoff in sound quality. This is partly so that runners get some background noise in for safety, but since I'm planning on using them at the gym this is not really a concern for me and I'd rather have better bass. So I'm kind of torn.

Nanite
Jan 21, 2010
I currently live with someone with pretty bad hearing loss. If he isn't wearing his hearing aids I have to yell and he's practically deaf. He can use headphones turned way up without his hearing aids, but all the headphones he's tried cause feedback with them on. His bday is coming up, and I'd like to get him a pair that work with the hearing aids. He doesn't like to take them out many times a day, so once he has them in, he tends to leave them in. Optimal would be a set that would work with them in or out, but if that isn't possible, can someone recommend a good pair of 'phones that work with hearing aids. I looked on amazon, but the ones I found didn't have the best reviews, and were a bit pricey (~$50). I would be willing to pay up to $100 for something that works, but I don't wanna waste $50 on a piece of garbage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Need some advice on headphones for the office. Right above my office is a basketball court, and the sound of people bouncing basketballs is loving ridiculous. Add to them running on the court and it's easy to see why work can be hard to get done.

I've never been an audiophile, I I briefly looked at the OP.

I'd like to get a pair of headphones for under $50 of possible that I'll connect to my iPhone and I generally listen to punk/metal/rock music with a bit of pop at times.

I think overear would work better than earbuds just due to comfort since I may wear these for an hour or two at a time.

Any recommendations? In addition to the intermittent noise from the basketball court above me, outside my office is a cubicle farm that I can generally hear people talking. I'd like to drown that out too, if possible. Thanks!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
My friend was about to buy these headphones for around $500.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/hifi-manufaktur/dt-880-manufaktur.html

I was wondering if you all had any other recommendations in the same over the ear style around that price range or is that the best value she can buy? She pretty much just listens to singer songwriter stuff. Music only.

Thanks!

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/hifi-manufaktur/dt-880-manufaktur.html

I was wondering if you all had any other recommendations in the same over the ear style around that price range or is that the best value she can buy? She pretty much just listens to singer songwriter stuff. Music only.

Thanks!

Those are pretty damned good—I'm assuming that for the price she was adding in personalized options? I'm not aware of other places you can do that.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
Considering buying these: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104840

I need a headset + mic combo for my new gaming computer and these are $5 off today only, plus I get free shipping. In the near future I'll probably consider upgrading, but since I'm spending so much on my computer already, I don't mind getting something not-so-great.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

WugLyfe posted:

Those are pretty damned good—I'm assuming that for the price she was adding in personalized options? I'm not aware of other places you can do that.

Yeah, she was gonna change the colors and stuff. If those are legit I'll go ahead and tell her to get them. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't buying some junk.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Biodome posted:

Yeah, she was gonna change the colors and stuff. If those are legit I'll go ahead and tell her to get them. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't buying some junk.

I love my 880s. They are a desktop headset--they really need an amp to push them. Although I'd rather just buy a regular silver pair than pay almost twice as much for custom colors.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Biodome posted:

Thanks!

I'm not sure what the return policy is on the personalized versions, but If I were her, I'd pick up one of the non-personalized ($250) versions from Amazon first to make sure she likes the way they sound. If she likes the sound, she can return them and buy the $500 personalized version.

Also I hope she has/is buying a headphone amp because, for this headphone at least, they make a world of difference in how they sound. I don't normally like to drink the audiphile headphone amp kool-aid (e.g. I think the Sennheiser HD-600's sound great even without an amp, even when driven by my phone, although a headphone amp obviously helps), but with the DT-880's, for my ears, an amp is a necessity (as in, there are much cheaper headphones that sound much better than un-amped DT-880's).

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 20, 2014

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Budget - prefer to stay in the 50 bux range, can go higher
Source - computer, tablet, ipod
Isolation Requirements - isolation would be nice, but I can live without it
Preferred Type of Headphone - ones that surround the ear would be most preferable
Preferred Tonal Balance - I don't really know. When watching spooky movies or playing spooky games if it got all the spooky noises sounding good I'd like that. Nice bass would be swell
Past Headphones - I've been using apple buds for awhile. While they are probably the best buds/headphones I've ever used I'm sure I could do better. The bass sucks on them.

My biggest issue is that I'm pretty tall and got a proportionate head and ears to go with that head. My biggest want is headphones don't hurt my ears from wearing them with prolonged use. Good sound is also important but comfort is more important.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

dik-dik posted:

Also I hope she has/is buying a headphone amp because, for this headphone at least, they make a world of difference in how they sound. I don't normally like to drink the audiphile headphone amp kool-aid (e.g. I think the Sennheiser HD-600's sound great even without an amp, even when driven by my phone, although a headphone amp obviously helps), but with the DT-880's, for my ears, an amp is a necessity (as in, there are much cheaper headphones that sound much better than un-amped DT-880's).

I don't think she'll buy an amp, she's going to be wearing them at work and stuff. I'm not sure how practical carrying an amp around is.

Do you have any suggestions for much cheaper ones that sound much better than the un amped DT's?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh, uh, at work is a bad idea if there's other people around. Those are open-backed, so the sound is gonna leeeeeaaaakkk (also let in a bunch of outside noise too)

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

WugLyfe posted:

Oh, uh, at work is a bad idea if there's other people around. Those are open-backed, so the sound is gonna leeeeeaaaakkk (also let in a bunch of outside noise too)

Hmm, hadn't considered that, I'll let her know. Thank you.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

WugLyfe posted:

Also the cord is pretty stiff and bulky and doesn't detach. Not a work headphone in any way unless you have a quiet, private office.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

Need some advice on headphones for the office. Right above my office is a basketball court, and the sound of people bouncing basketballs is loving ridiculous. Add to them running on the court and it's easy to see why work can be hard to get done.

I've never been an audiophile, I I briefly looked at the OP.

I'd like to get a pair of headphones for under $50 of possible that I'll connect to my iPhone and I generally listen to punk/metal/rock music with a bit of pop at times.

I think overear would work better than earbuds just due to comfort since I may wear these for an hour or two at a time.

Any recommendations? In addition to the intermittent noise from the basketball court above me, outside my office is a cubicle farm that I can generally hear people talking. I'd like to drown that out too, if possible. Thanks!

ok, so what if I increase my budget to $100? I'd really like to keep it under $50 but if it's somehow necessary to up the price to drown out coworkers and basketballs, welp.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Biodome posted:

Hmm, hadn't considered that, I'll let her know. Thank you.
Since it sounds like she doesn't know much about headphones, why is she wanting to drop $500 on a pair?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Josh Lyman posted:

Since it sounds like she doesn't know much about headphones, why is she wanting to drop $500 on a pair?

She asked a coworker for a recommend and those are the ones he told her to buy. I guess they went to $500 cause she wanted to customize the colors and stuff.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Need an extension and splitter for my new HoM Liberate, but from the looks of it there are different kinds. The box says they're designed for iPad/iPhone, so I guess I need an Apple splitter? The 3.5 jack has four segments if that means anything.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

SplitSoul posted:

Need an extension and splitter for my new HoM Liberate, but from the looks of it there are different kinds. The box says they're designed for iPad/iPhone, so I guess I need an Apple splitter? The 3.5 jack has four segments if that means anything.

I imagine this should do the trick.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

She asked a coworker for a recommend and those are the ones he told her to buy. I guess they went to $500 cause she wanted to customize the colors and stuff.

If she wants some cheaper closed back ones, beyerdynamic also makes the custom one pro, which can be designed piecemeal.

GrandPapil
Jan 14, 2004
The Man
So I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 for gaming and started using them for music/movies etc late at night as I am in an apartment. I couldn't believe how good they sound, and I am just using on board audio. I am considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better though for longer listening as the PC 350's get really warm really quick. I also picked up a set of Audioengine A5+'s and they sound great.

So what I would the improvement be if I were to get a DAC for the Sennheisers and Audioengines and would looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better be a large imporvment over vs my PC 350's for the cost of the investment?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Beautiful Princess posted:

So I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 for gaming and started using them for music/movies etc late at night as I am in an apartment. I couldn't believe how good they sound, and I am just using on board audio. I am considering getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better though for longer listening as the PC 350's get really warm really quick. I also picked up a set of Audioengine A5+'s and they sound great.

So what I would the improvement be if I were to get a DAC for the Sennheisers and Audioengines and would looking at getting a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 or better be a large imporvment over vs my PC 350's for the cost of the investment?

You are the perfect customer for the AudioEngine D1. I have a pair of their A5+s and love them, and the D1 works well as a DAC (for speakers and headphones) and Headphone amp.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

dik-dik posted:

I imagine this should do the trick.

Should have specified, I need it split for PC usage to separate mic and line out ports. The reason I'm wondering is because I found this:

And it suggests to me that I'll run into a problem if I don't get the right kind of splitter. Are iPhone 3.5mm splitters ONLY for the original Apple headsets or does it apply to all headsets that are iPhone compatible? I've seen both kinds available with the provision that one only works for iPhone, but I'm not sure if the reverse is true for the other kind. The box from HoM says "Made for iPhone/iPad". I've had no luck googling.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

SplitSoul posted:

Should have specified, I need it split for PC usage to separate mic and line out ports. The reason I'm wondering is because I found this:

And it suggests to me that I'll run into a problem if I don't get the right kind of splitter. Are iPhone 3.5mm splitters ONLY for the original Apple headsets or does it apply to all headsets that are iPhone compatible? I've seen both kinds available with the provision that one only works for iPhone, but I'm not sure if the reverse is true for the other kind. The box from HoM says "Made for iPhone/iPad". I've had no luck googling.

Everybody except for Nokia now uses a connector compatible with Apple products.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Everybody except for Nokia now uses a connector compatible with Apple products.
CTIA for life.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
So I've read the OP and honestly I'm not even sure if my requirements belong here, but:

What Should I buy?!

I picked up a Plantronics Gamecom 780 headset ~a year ago so that I can't hide behind poor communication as a reason I lose at Dota, and it was a good purchase! The sound quality needs improvement, though, and I can't seem to run down a set of Sennheiser 150's. Is there an equivalent or better for a budget of £100-150?

I'm also on the lookout for a quality pair of in-ears as well.
Budget: ~£100
Sources: iPad, Note 2 (probably Note 4 soon), 3DS etc
Isolation: I fly a few times a year and work in an open office so yes please!
Headphone Type: IEM.
Music preferences: Weird Japanese animu poo poo right through to the Beatles, if I like it I'll listen to it.
AOB: I'd quite like it to have a remote volume control/track skipper, and at the very least it needs a mic so I can conf call using it. I'm running a wired pair of MHA600i's (that I keep breaking in the gym, thank goodness for 3 year warranties) at the moment and now that I've had this luxury I can't do without it.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Beautiful Princess posted:

I have a pair of HD 598's and they are indeed great. Comfortable, good sound and easy to drive.

Can't say how they compare to PC 350 as I haven't heard them, but my guess is that you wouldn't regret the purchase.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does anyone have a good recommendation for bluetooth exercise headphones/earbuds? I mainly go running, so they would need to stay in my ears with a decent amount of bouncing around. I'm tired of wires getting caught on things.

I'm considering the Plantronics BackBeat FIT.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Super Dude posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for bluetooth exercise headphones/earbuds? I mainly go running, so they would need to stay in my ears with a decent amount of bouncing around. I'm tired of wires getting caught on things.

I'm considering the Plantronics BackBeat FIT.

These are pretty good for knockarounds if you don't mind something on top of your ears when you're sweating --at least the pads are vinyl and not absorbent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7JIBN0

I've seen them sold under like half a dozen obscure brands, so I'm not sure what's authentic or whatever, but $15 is a pretty good deal.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

One of my friends has spoken highly of the Jaybird earbuds. They also seem to be pretty highly rated online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

WugLyfe posted:

If she wants some cheaper closed back ones, beyerdynamic also makes the custom one pro, which can be designed piecemeal.

Those look great, thanks! Do you think they're gonna need an amp to sound decent as well? I don't know if she'll go for ones that need an amp.