Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i used to drink keystone light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I used to drink Stag

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hobbesmaster posted:

the question is how does the dumb little robot know how much keystone to apply, not how to apply keystone in the first place

:rolleye:

yeah, and my point was that you get 5 safe options that you've had time to validated along with all the other goofy config you've exposed to the consumer, so going all space-age on this subproblem and getting the precise micrometer to each pixel of the image does fuckall when the only outputs of this decision are those 5 that you might as well expose with a button because users are stupid and would think it's doing the wrong thing anyway

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

BONGHITZ posted:

i used to drink keystone light

same

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

hobbesmaster posted:

the question is how does the dumb little robot know how much keystone to apply, not how to apply keystone in the first place. in ti dlp projectors the dip controller can apply all those transformations with a simple setting of some registers. this type of software (ok firmware?) keystoning has the result of not using all your mirrors in every row which reduces the image quality. the "proper" way to do keystoning is by moving a mirror in the optical path. needless to say cheap projectors do it in software

gotcha. then probably it just sweeps across various angles and makes the user choose what looks decent.

VVVVV what he said

JawnV6 posted:

:rolleye:

yeah, and my point was that you get 5 safe options that you've had time to validated along with all the other goofy config you've exposed to the consumer, so going all space-age on this subproblem and getting the precise micrometer to each pixel of the image does fuckall when the only outputs of this decision are those 5 that you might as well expose with a button because users are stupid and would think it's doing the wrong thing anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
why are you guys arguing the minutiae of this thing that doesn't make sense on a basic level

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Al! posted:

why are you guys arguing the minutiae of this thing that doesn't make sense on a basic level

welcome to something awful i hope you enjoy your stay

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Al! posted:

well someone asked how it worked :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Al! posted:

nobody will have the x86 fight i'm itching for so i'm swinging wide into product development

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

nobody will have the x86 fight i'm itching for so i'm swinging wide into product development

your architecture is a piece of poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

IA-64 is clearly the best.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
the 286 was underappreciated in its time

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Base Emitter posted:

the 286 was underappreciated in its time

hey dont post facts

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

had a am386 based computer growing up and it was pretty great at doing computery things.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
risc is good

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like whatever is in my macs

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Jawn you should make a processor that directly executes javascript we can call it a web accelerator, we're gonna be rich I'll make the kickstarter

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fib posted:

Jawn you should make a processor that directly executes javascript we can call it a web accelerator, we're gonna be rich I'll make the kickstarter

ecma on die lmao

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

let's get a drc for a 4 metal board at some 200nm+ fab and just slap somethin together team

YOSPOS project guys

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

jawn you write the verilog and do all the synthesis and spice stuff, I'll promise impossible deadlines to investors and marketing outlets

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

risc is good

rush australia is my pro tip

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
mido you laugh but right now as we shitpost there is a real actual startup, mill computing, which has a seriously :catdrugs: ~radical new cpu architecture~ that they've made all kinds of bold claims about, despite not yet having implemented it (not even in fpga last i looked). oh and it also looks to need ~radical new compilers~, which, of course, have not yet been written

the idea guy is a big name too so they might (may already have) attract real funding

ps i'm avail to write poo poo verilog and poo poo perl for yoscpu

pps you might be surprised how much perl is involved in makin' chips

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
http://www.dumb-out.net/hovercraft-campaign-sparks-interest-kickstarter/9610

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142464853/hendo-hoverboards-worlds-first-real-hoverboard

$10,000 US Earth

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
Hoverboards are finally real and they cost way too much, are super noisy, and they suck. This is the worst future.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fib posted:

Hoverboards are finally real and they cost way too much, are super noisy, and they suck. This is the worst future.

i've got a copy of a sports almanac i can send back in time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
kansas city royals: 2014 world series champions

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

kansas city royals: 2014 world series champions

again, worst future

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

mido you laugh but right now as we shitpost there is a real actual startup, mill computing, which has a seriously :catdrugs: ~radical new cpu architecture~ that they've made all kinds of bold claims about, despite not yet having implemented it (not even in fpga last i looked). oh and it also looks to need ~radical new compilers~, which, of course, have not yet been written

the idea guy is a big name too so they might (may already have) attract real funding
mill looks like something begging for a "wingnut welfare" kinda label but it's pre-coffee and im not clever yet

BobHoward posted:

one time i sent a perl script we'd inherited to another team, guy sent back this giant email about how "why, we would NEVER release something that would emit a WARNING" and i couldn't think of a response except laughing, gl trying to change all that legacy

not the same script, but another was clubbing together SQL queries and had a spot with "chop;chop;chop", didn't think much of it until the "OR " with the " " after being crucial because otherwise the chopping would take off the last paren

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mill promises a straightforward compiler model (the ISA is SSA-form), but the dudes I met are definitely not calibrated against my reality

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

Rufus Ping posted:

risc is good

RISC architecture is gonna change everything

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Subjunctive posted:

mill promises a straightforward compiler model (the ISA is SSA-form), but the dudes I met are definitely not calibrated against my reality

the mill is really cool, who cares about reality

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

penus de milo posted:

Mostly itself into cisc

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

penus de milo posted:

i dunno, personally i think it's bullshit that south america has two points of entry and only gets 2 armies but australia only has one point of entry and also gets 2 armies

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Proteus4994 posted:

i dunno, personally i think it's bullshit that south america has two points of entry and only gets 2 armies but australia only has one point of entry and also gets 2 armies

agreed, considering the people of peru have apparently conquered three or four other nations they should definitely worth a few extra soldiers

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

BobHoward posted:

the last startup I worked at did chips

nothing surprises me now

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

yoscpu should be code named SATAN and have a SPI bus that just rotates through "HELL YEAH "

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

instead of an ARM core could we do a FOOT or DONG core?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mido posted:

DONG core

please don't share my music without linking my kickstarter

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

the last startup I worked at did chips

nothing surprises me now

Lol did you make bitcoin asics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

yoscpu should be code named SATAN and have a SPI bus that just rotates through "HELL YEAH "

I'm going to write the verilog for this tomorrow

• Locked thread