Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Maybe I missed a line of dialogue or two, but what was the point of raising a robot army that can't be bothered to show up? You go through the whole trouble of building the constructor only to have it never show up again, despite the fact that Jack emphasizes that he needs it now to take back Helios. Even on the assault on the station, the only robots you enlist are ones you hack on site! He sends a handful to the vault site, and you test them with the orbital drop system, but that's all I can think of. Was there a point to that quest arc at all, other than to give an unnecessarily specific origin for the constructors and loaders?

It's to make Jack be more of a dick. Not really necessary either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Maybe I missed a line of dialogue or two, but what was the point of raising a robot army that can't be bothered to show up? You go through the whole trouble of building the constructor only to have it never show up again, despite the fact that Jack emphasizes that he needs it now to take back Helios. Even on the assault on the station, the only robots you enlist are ones you hack on site! He sends a handful to the vault site, and you test them with the orbital drop system, but that's all I can think of. Was there a point to that quest arc at all, other than to give an unnecessarily specific origin for the constructors and loaders?

Hammerlock.

No idea, I was wondering the exact same thing. You beam up to Helios expecting to kill poo poo with the robot army you went to all the trouble of acquiring and then it turns out it's still just you, yourself, and you against the enemies.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

My game is crashing every time I try matchmaking

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

nm apparently this happens when you're offline on steam. weird

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Genocyber posted:

It's to make Jack be more of a dick. Not really necessary either.

Yeah, the game wants to paint him as well-meaning, but he'd already stuck his daughter in a fridge and manipulated the vault hunters to unleash the Destroyer before the events of this game, so he's pretty villainous to those already familiar with Borderlands 2. Honestly the funny part is that if this game had been released before Borderlands 2, it might actually be an effective climactic sequel that leads into that game - but the character arcs themselves aren't compelling enough to stand on their own.

A decent enough excuse to shoot faces for 20+ hours, tho.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Also, pretty much all the legendary lasers are less good then their purple beam equivalents. The ZX-1 is the only one that even comes close.

Have you tried the Excalibastard? I just picked it up and its pretty awesome. Probably the only useful Railgun laser I've come across because of the boosted crit damage.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A decent enough excuse to shoot faces for 20+ hours, tho.

I'm at 80 hours played already :ohdear:

Also is anyone else running into a levelling issue around 32-33? I've done every single available sidequest except "To Arms!" including all the level 35 ones that spawn at the start of Artificial Intelligences, but that main quest is level 35 and I'm struggling to reach 34. I've run out of quest XP to get and grinding random mooks to get like 100K xp doesn't sound appealing.

I'll just push on with the main quest anyway, but it seems like a slight mismatch in available XP there.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

AirRaid posted:

Have you tried the Excalibastard? I just picked it up and its pretty awesome. Probably the only useful Railgun laser I've come across because of the boosted crit damage.

I'm at 80 hours played already :ohdear:

Also is anyone else running into a levelling issue around 32-33? I've done every single available sidequest except "To Arms!" including all the level 35 ones that spawn at the start of Artificial Intelligences, but that main quest is level 35 and I'm struggling to reach 34. I've run out of quest XP to get and grinding random mooks to get like 100K xp doesn't sound appealing.

I'll just push on with the main quest anyway, but it seems like a slight mismatch in available XP there.

Jump on with some folks at a higher level for 15-30 minutes? Me and some friends ran a new char up to level 30 from 1 in about an hour farming the hidden boss Kraggon.

Also, this game is way too easy to break, even on Console. Get 4 people reloading and running around Concordia and into the snow level, you have about a dozen vending machines you can check, exit, and reload and you can get a dozen oranges and purples in about 10 minutes. Then you can drop dupe them. Or you could just go to the grinder, throw stuff in, and dupe your input items easily and get an legendary every time.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I'm not a big fan of the railguns or the shotguns, but then it's hard to beat a good Hyperion shock beam or laser rifle on Athena. Totally negates any penalty from not being able to ironsight while holding the aspis.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finally had time to sit down and finish up the game on normal, as Athena. Really enjoyed the game, though I think the writing is overall weaker than BL2. I enjoyed the gunplay much more than BL2, and I think the Oz kits and buttstomping were fun additions. The final boss was the least annoying out of the the three games, though still not super fun. I'm really hoping that they're not doing an MMO and instead mean that we're going to other planets instead. I'm glad Athena wasn't killed at the end, but Lilith is such a bitch. I'll probably do some of the end-game sidequests before heading to TVHM, though I might just wait till the DLC is out whenever to do TVHM.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
I actually like how you're testing Jack's robot army that you get to fight in BL2. Actually, this game makes me want to replay BL2 now knowing the context of the Pre Sequel. It'd be great if 2K Australia can fix up the combat of BL2 to be as fun as the combat in Pre-sequel.

Say what you want about Jack, but he really gets things done.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The Stingray was really frustrating at first (probably because the very first thing they have you do with it is literally the most bullshit jump in the entire game) but after getting used to it I never use the buggy now unless I have to. Jumping into places where you're clearly not intended to have a vehicle can be fun.

Edit: I have a ZX-1 and I hate it, it seems like it does hardly any damage at all to anything. Maybe I'm just not using it right though.

IMO the best laser gun (well after the Vibra-Pulse of course) is the Ghostbusters proton pack gun you get in Sub Level 13.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 21, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first Stingray jump is piss easy though. :psyduck:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

The first Stingray jump is piss easy though. :psyduck:

Seriously? Because almost every time I try to do it my Stingray is all like "oh you wanted me to jump here? lol whoops" and I crash into the wall on the far side of the jump and die.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most of the time I overshoot the landing ramp to the point where one time my car glitched into the ceiling of the little toll booth thing on the other side. If you're going as fast as you can on the lead up to the ramp you will make it every time.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

I actually like how you're testing Jack's robot army that you get to fight in BL2. Actually, this game makes me want to replay BL2 now knowing the context of the Pre Sequel. It'd be great if 2K Australia can fix up the combat of BL2 to be as fun as the combat in Pre-sequel.

Say what you want about Jack, but he really gets things done.

I would not expect any more updates for Borderlands 2, I am positive they have exhausted the DLC output available and put it all in to this game.
Not really complaining, though. I'd love to bring Clap Trap into the BL2 universe and make poo poo go boom for miles.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Metrohunter posted:

I'm not a big fan of the railguns or the shotguns, but then it's hard to beat a good Hyperion shock beam or laser rifle on Athena. Totally negates any penalty from not being able to ironsight while holding the aspis.

It's excellent with Wilhelm too, since he can shoot while sprinting.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I'll be happy if they're done updating BL2 because it means if I ever feel like completely glitching out the game I can go back to BL2 and be broken for a while.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Nakayama

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

No, he's just Jack-sexual.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I just started up TVHM with Smashpro and decided to duck out to Normal mode to grind some greens I had picked up - and it didn't work! Did they flag guns for what mode you were in when you got them to prevent people from doing that, because that is surprisingly prescient on Gearbox's part.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

mastersord posted:

Moxie might be bi-curious but i havent found much to support that other than speculation.

She said she dated Motor-Momma in BL2's Torgue DLC and so I think it's not just speculation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Father Wendigo posted:

I just started up TVHM with Smashpro and decided to duck out to Normal mode to grind some greens I had picked up - and it didn't work! Did they flag guns for what mode you were in when you got them to prevent people from doing that, because that is surprisingly prescient on Gearbox's part.

Yeah I don't get the grinder. There appear to be a lot of rules and only certain types of items (guns?) that work. I have a bunch of crappy orange o2 kits for example that I would love to grind to bits but I can't figure out any way to make it happen.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Salt Fish posted:

Yeah I don't get the grinder. There appear to be a lot of rules and only certain types of items (guns?) that work. I have a bunch of crappy orange o2 kits for example that I would love to grind to bits but I can't figure out any way to make it happen.

No way presently known to grind orange items. Only weapons.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Grinder

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^Haha, yeah, the grinder was a great idea but the execution is pretty lackluster, ironically ACTUAL recipes (combine items with these three prefixes to get a legendary) would have made it much more fun.

AirRaid posted:

Hadn't played with it all that much because I don't like railguns but I guess I should give it a try. Still, pretty much all the others are hot garbage, the only use I can think of for ANY of them is racking up stacks for Athena's right-hand skill.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 22, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do note that you can only pick up the Excalibastard one time over all of your playthroughs on that character, and it will be leveled appropriately to when you remove it from the stone, so keep that in mind when deciding if you want to use it now or not.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Do note that you can only pick up the Excalibastard one time over all of your playthroughs on that character, and it will be leveled appropriately to when you remove it from the stone, so keep that in mind when deciding if you want to use it now or not.

If you're playing on PC and want to keep using it just use Gibbed's.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Started a playthrough as Athena and man is she boring. I have no idea why they decided to have her be the one telling the story. Like, she doesn't really "joke" in her player responses like the other characters do, she's just totally straightforward. Maybe that IS the joke, I guess?

Mr E posted:

That works too.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Mr E posted:

The latest revision works great for 360 as well. I imported my main's world, missions, and bumped up every other character to 30 so I don't have to waste time when my friend comes over and wants to see what the end-game is like. :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Started a playthrough as Athena and man is she boring. I have no idea why they decided to have her be the one telling the story. Like, she doesn't really "joke" in her player responses like the other characters do, she's just totally straightforward. Maybe that IS the joke, I guess?

That works too.

She gets better as the game goes along, and her gameplay is really fantastic if you take the right side tree.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

That works too.

Probably because the story's being told post-BL2 and everyone else who could tell it was killed in the BL2 story quests or would be shot on sight anyway in the case of Fragtrap.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hadn't thought about that. That does make more sense now.

(ending spoilers) In the ending drawing things during the credits you can see Jack kill Fragtrap, so he's dead too unfortunately.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 22, 2014

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Okay, informal poll time: is anyone interested in the possible Borderlands MMO that the ending hints at? I only ask because pretty much every mention I've seen of it so far is 'oh god, please don't do that', and I'm interested if the concept actually appeals to anyone, or if this is just the devs eyeing Destiny greedily and not paying any attention to the problems they've been having.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It's got nothing to do with Destiny. They trademarked Borderworlds ages ago, and the ending of TPS has virtually zero information that the ending of BL2 didn't have in 2012 (the only thing new is the Eridian telling them they'll want as many Vault Hunters as possible).

Zurai fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 22, 2014

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

CJacobs posted:

(ending spoilers) In the ending drawing things during the credits you can see Jack kill Fragtrap, so he's dead too unfortunately.

That's Claptrap, the very next picture after that shows Hammerlock fixing him back up, replacing his old wheel with a smoother one, explaining why he can't climb stairs anymore.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Okay, informal poll time: is anyone interested in the possible Borderlands MMO that the ending hints at? I only ask because pretty much every mention I've seen of it so far is 'oh god, please don't do that', and I'm interested if the concept actually appeals to anyone, or if this is just the devs eyeing Destiny greedily and not paying any attention to the problems they've been having.

I'd be up for it. I hear that even with all of Destiny's issues, it's still the most played game on the PS4.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CJacobs posted:

Well if they wanted to they could have Wilhelm's memory backed up to that power core, or have Brick or somebody find Nisha's journal.

EDIT: A Borderlands MMO could be sweet provided they buff the poo poo out of the grinder for it. Although really all it needs is a recipe for "a higher-level version of the item in slot 1".

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

I'd be up for it. I hear that even with all of Destiny's issues, it's still the most played game on the PS4.

That might be because there's not many games for the system.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot

Dexters Secret posted:

nm apparently this happens when you're offline on steam. weird

this sucks. i just discovered this tonight while trying to split screen with sandboxie for the first time. I couldn't get split play to work right either :mad:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god the Oz kit you get when you kill the Dalek claptrap is the greatest loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CJacobs posted:

I thought this worked pretty well in Playthrough 2 with her as the straight man to Tina. Admittedly I never disliked Tina, but I thought some of the best jokes in the game were Tina/Athena bits. It's true she doesn't joke around, much, though she is occasionally amusingly sarcastic, but I thought that worked pretty well for the post-airlock events. I haven't gotten to that point on Nisha, Wilhelm or Claptrap, so I don't know what happens there, but for Athena, Springs calls up to talk to her about it and Athena seems genuinely horrified for a bit, I dunno if any of the others would react like that.

Also, that calm, professional demeanor completely shatters if you go down the middle tree, then she starts running around the battlefield giving blood-curdling battlescreams, yelling "FACE ME!" and laughing like a complete maniac. But frankly I'm just glad that Athena doesn't throw out the same assortment of "witty" one-liners throughout the entire game like some of the less serious characters ("haven't felt this good since my mom died!"), Athena's standard lines (or her melee crazed mania lines) being more straightforward in tone makes them much easier to listen to hundreds of times.

• Locked thread