Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Grizzwold posted:

A lump sum of cash depending on the holding type and maybe a prisoner to ransom off.

The lump sum is pretty hefty, 1.5x the base tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Sacking cities is super profitable when raiding.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Zeron posted:

Honestly I'd say the biggest change to retinue costs now isn't necessarily the constant upkeep, but the fact that they now take literal years(I think they halved the reinforcement rate?) to reinforce to full. You have to eat that reinforcing cost for an incredibly long time, and until your retinue is huge it's almost entirely useless because it'll be spending most of it's existence recovering from the last battle.

Yeah, not to mention they halved the size of each so the upfront cost is much higher. They're in a weird place right now where the only time you'd want to use them is if you're sure they won't take very many casualties. So they're good for killing revolts and vikings, but I don't use them in a real war because, even as Emperor of mega HRE, the reinforcement cost is nuts.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So I think I got lucky with my line of succession as a viking.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

queeb posted:

So I think I got lucky with my line of succession as a viking.

Don't worry, he'll keel over any moment now.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

MegaGatts posted:

Yeah, not to mention they halved the size of each so the upfront cost is much higher. They're in a weird place right now where the only time you'd want to use them is if you're sure they won't take very many casualties. So they're good for killing revolts and vikings, but I don't use them in a real war because, even as Emperor of mega HRE, the reinforcement cost is nuts.

They're still great for republics though since after a while you start making more money than you know what to do with.

I wish upgrading all my trade posts wasn't so tedious.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is there a way to make Zoroastrianism have its restored priesthood and everything else? I want them to be at full strength before the Muslims appear in my mod. I figure I can reverse-engineer the restore priesthood to be a "destroy priesthood" decision, but don't know how to make Zoroastrianism restored from the get-go.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Isn't there a thing on the Paradox forum to post bug reports and broken saved games? I don't want my Carpathia game to end this way :smith:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Now that I've been fooling around with pagans in Charlemagne I must say this feels like the weakest expansion so far. It's the Age of Blobs no matter where you are and anyone smaller gets hosed over. Unless you're in the Russian steppe, surrounded by people you can't even raid for money. Even IF you can raid them, their stuff is worth poo poo.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
So does anyone know why my vassal republics keep exploding when they elect a new doge? It doesn't always happens on a new doge, but it's very often, and it seems to happen every half an hour, wiping away all their trade posts and reducing progress to 0.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Now that I've been fooling around with pagans in Charlemagne I must say this feels like the weakest expansion so far. It's the Age of Blobs no matter where you are and anyone smaller gets hosed over. Unless you're in the Russian steppe, surrounded by people you can't even raid for money. Even IF you can raid them, their stuff is worth poo poo.

So then join the blob and destroy it from within!

Also, I don't know if this is common knowledge but after like 300ish hours playing with pagans I just found out by accident that you can siege a city or a temple without taking out the castle first. If you send multiple raider stacks to a county then they will each siege a different target.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Is there a way to make Zoroastrianism have its restored priesthood and everything else? I want them to be at full strength before the Muslims appear in my mod. I figure I can reverse-engineer the restore priesthood to be a "destroy priesthood" decision, but don't know how to make Zoroastrianism restored from the get-go.

Change the history file of the d_zoroastrian title to have a holder at your start date and go from there?

Kin33 posted:

Also, I don't know if this is common knowledge but after like 300ish hours playing with pagans I just found out by accident that you can siege a city or a temple without taking out the castle first. If you send multiple raider stacks to a county then they will each siege a different target.

I had no clue this was possible. This is going to completely change how I play pagans/tribals.

KOraithER fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 22, 2014

Service Charge
Jan 22, 2004
I'm not cheap
So how about those Abbasids...

So much for smaller blobs.

There isn't even any point in waiting for the Caliph to die, his son is even more ridiculous.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kin33 posted:

Wait, REALLY? So I can cut right to the chase and burn down the temple holdings without the castle bullshit?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Cytokinesis posted:

So does anyone know why my vassal republics keep exploding when they elect a new doge? It doesn't always happens on a new doge, but it's very often, and it seems to happen every half an hour, wiping away all their trade posts and reducing progress to 0.

The capitol city doesn't get handed out properly upon succession, so frequently the new "doge" wins up without a city and reverts to something else, destroying the republic. Basically, it's broken.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's pretty trivial to either console grant the relevant land to a Zoro character, or just write a custom event that does the same thing.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kin33 posted:

So then join the blob and destroy it from within!

Woah woah woah woah, can you also remove the army sieging the castle and not have them all shuffled around? Because I always wanted that sweet city gold first and foremost and couldn't care about castles (though temples is another good benefit).

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Funky Valentine posted:

Wait, REALLY? So I can cut right to the chase and burn down the temple holdings without the castle bullshit?

This might be a bug with Charlemagne but yup. I've never thought to try it before but I sent a stack of event troops to reinforce my raiders to siege faster and it wouldn't let me combine them. They had the temple under siege instead. I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. I don't know if you need each stack to have enough troops to siege or if you can just send a tiny levy to the province to target the castle then your real force to siege the other holdings.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Service Charge posted:

So how about those Abbasids...

So much for smaller blobs.

There isn't even any point in waiting for the Caliph to die, his son is even more ridiculous.

47,200 Prestige points :stare:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Sacking cities is super profitable when raiding.

Sacking temples also gives you a 1% Moral Authority boost to your religion. Not much individually, but if you go somewhere like Rome you can score a good 5% just from that one county. It can help push to 50% if you're trying to reform and don't have all 5 holy sites. It lasts for 20 years too, so plenty of time to build up quite a bit of MA from raiding alone.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
So why are the Abbasids able to hold all that together? Has anyone tried playing as them?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Praise Allah that I managed to change succession laws a year before the king died so this lazy rear end in a top hat didn't inherit the kingdom when he grew up:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Has anyone succeeded in a cheat-less Jewish reconquest of Jerusalem and survived? I'm interested in hearing how that plays out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

So why are the Abbasids able to hold all that together? Has anyone tried playing as them?

A few reasons:

-The Shia Caliph is a vassal of the Abbasid blob (technically it doesn't exist at game start but it will be created by decision on the very first day), which means no "Rise of the Shia" event dropping troop stacks on them unless the Caliphate is totally wiped out (does converting the Shia caliph to Sunni destroy the caliphate? It seems like it should but I'm not sure).
-The current release version has a bug with decadence where you can tell decadent relatives to straighten up every 7 days, meaning that there is essentially no decadence gain no matter how big the dynasty is. The beta patch apparently fixes this, but I'm finding that the Abbasids still aren't accumulating much decadence at all, and dropping it fairly quickly if they do.
-Managing huge realms is pretty easy by just using vassal kings to keep your direct vassal count down. In the beta patch they removed the "Vassal king" -25 relations penalty so they're pretty easy to keep under control.

Basically it's the first two that are the big ones. The main counters to Muslim dominance are decadence and infighting between the Sunni and Shia, and the Abbasids don't have to worry about either at the moment.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

I think it has something to do with the Abbasids controlling all of the middle east, africa, and southern europe while still being at 0% decadence.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Corbeau posted:

The capitol city doesn't get handed out properly upon succession, so frequently the new "doge" wins up without a city and reverts to something else, destroying the republic. Basically, it's broken.

Something about the patch seems to've changed how government type was determined. I've noticed, while modding, that pre-CM I could assign a character a feudal and city county and the game would have no problem determining that the character was a feudal lord who happened to have a holding of the wrong sort alongside his castle. Post-CM, the game won't let me play as the same character, as it now views that guy as leader of an inland republic.

So something went weird there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I switched to an older saved game and upgraded to the beta patch and it's not crashing, world is saved. I switched to the Abbasids, set their decadence to 50%, and manually fired the Shia event. It spawned a 180,000 stack led by a genius 4 year old Caliph that conquered the entire kingdom of Jerusalem in 6 months :stare:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Sheep posted:

Has anyone succeeded in a cheat-less Jewish reconquest of Jerusalem and survived? I'm interested in hearing how that plays out.

I once did this as the Khazars, but at some point I got my face kicked in by Jihads, so I didn't really manage to hold it for very long. :(

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Sheep posted:

I did it pre-ROI and it was pretty easy after winning the first few wars. I just played it like a boring blob game and blitzed for the empire of tataria and from there it was easy.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I imagine if you can get the Jewish Ethiopian duke off the ground it would be pretty easy. Once you manage to unite East Africa and steal Egypt from the muslims you're nearly unstoppable. Unless of course, you start at the Charlemagne date, where everything is hosed.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Crazy Ted posted:

The last time there was a Paradox sale I ended up getting Rajas of India, Sons of Abraham, The Old Gods, Sunset Invasion, and all of the associated DLC with it for about $21. That's why you sometimes wait.

I got the game and every DLC (pre-Charlemagne) for 40 bucks :smuggo:

Sheep posted:

I tried that once by Ruler Designering a Venetian Jewish Doge:

Ended up banging a lot of young Italian and Sephardi chicks and then getting horribly owned by the Byzantines in a matter of months. At least he lived til 72 and had a lot of fun doing it!

Though he's nothing compared to this guy:

He lived til the following year. 82 is the oldest I've seen in the game so far. I think he went through like seven or so concubines and that was his second wife.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sheep posted:

There's even an LP on it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622095

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Martello posted:

Though he's nothing compared to this guy:

He lived til the following year. 82 is the oldest I've seen in the game so far. I think he went through like seven or so concubines and that was his second wife.

I managed to get one of my rulers to kick the bucket at 90. His great-grandson inherited at 15, and lasted well into his 70s. Still nothing compared to the dude I had as steward for 70 years until he died at 96.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Odobenidae posted:

I imagine if you can get the Jewish Ethiopian duke off the ground it would be pretty easy. Once you manage to unite East Africa and steal Egypt from the muslims you're nearly unstoppable. Unless of course, you start at the Charlemagne date, where everything is hosed.

I kind of sucked when I tried it, but at the old gods start date, I took over all of Abyssinia, and from there I went nowhere. Managed to sneak a duchy from Egypt during a revolt, and Fatimid promptly wrecked my poo poo as soon as it was over. He didn't even wait for our truce to expire. With the Abassids in Saudi Arabia, and the Fatimid to the north standing between you and literally every holy site, it's pretty goddamn imposing. Abyssinia is seriously worthless.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Looks like everyone wants to shed the blood of Saxon men. :geno:

Dec 30, 2008
Well, ironman is unplayable since the dlc. It was bad before, but now it's like I'm playing civ 5 with all of the loading between turns.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Looks like everyone wants to shed the blood of Saxon men. :geno:

I started a Saxon game today. Both my king and Charlemagne ended up with the incapable trait before the inevitable war. My kid and his inherited unbroken realms. Eventually, the Franks come calling only to find themselves against my levies, my vassals, and 7,500 other Saxons who happened to have the day off. I crushed his stacks and sieged up to 100% war score, but he never offered terms. So I spend the next six years looting eastern France and earning that Viking trait.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is there a weird, hidden 'gently caress You Saxony' event?

I started one game as Saxony and ~3 years into the game united mega Francia declared war on me. I checked Charlemagne and he had a 'Strong Claim on Saxony'. Game over.

I started a second game and ~5 years in the POPE declared war on me, marched his armies up and hit my weakened armies (I'd just subjugated Denmark). Game over. I checked the Pope and HE had a 'Strong Claim on Saxony' but Charlemagne didn't.

Where the hell did the Pope get a 'Strong Claim on Saxony' from? What's going on here? :confused:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Charlemagne either starts with a strong claim or gets one via events. That's all well and good but the other pagans instantly declaring on you, plus the Saxon AI being retarded and trying to conquer provinces in Norway leads to a very dead Saxony. It's sad that they're only really troublesome due to the scripted rebellion having like 12000 dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Sheep posted:

Well, in my current Venice game I took over all the land and gave everything needed to one of those Jewish councilor dudes that shows up, then gave him independence and he's still going strong. Hordes just started, though. Maybe the Zoroastrian Persia buffer will hold out, but probably not.

I'm not worried about the hordes for my own sake, though. I hold almost the entire Mediterranean (Norse Carpathia holds Anatolia somehow, which I think is pretty cool, so I'm not gonna bother them).

How do people make those cool flat colored maps so I can post a pic once I've finished this one, it is seriously bonkers. HRE is Paulician (and also my dynasty).

• Locked thread