Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SirDrone posted:

Well Five Nights At Freddy's 2 trailer just came out, man the dev sure works fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329921390
- Highlights include
- Strange puppet man in drawings popping out of presents and giving children presents
- Drawings of kids dismembering the mascots arms or heads
- No Doors to keep them out now and instead a mask to hide under
- Zombie mascots alongside the new mascots out for your blood
- Former PC now works on a day shift and your the new night shift

Wow little kids singing a nursery rhyme that isn't cliche at all.

Also hosed up in just keeping the same title with a 2 at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Wow little kids singing a nursery rhyme that isn't cliche at all.

Also hosed up in just keeping the same title with a 2 at the end.

Five Nights at Freddy's 2: SIX Nights at Freddy's

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
2 Nights 2 Freddy's

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
They named the second Five Nights At Freddy's "Five Nights At Fr..." oh wait that works.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wait I thought the phone guy died in the first game.

Either way, I'm tentatively looking forward to this. The first FNaF was a breath f fresh ar between the 10,000 slender man clones on the indie scene. I'm hoping it'll be as tense as the original

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Worldwide Panther posted:

Five Nights at Freddy's 2: SIX Nights at Freddy's

That's more like it.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Wait I thought the phone guy died in the first game.

That was heavily implied, yes. I imagine that's another character speaking (the old protagonist probably) and the developer didn't feel like springing for another voice actor.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

That's more like it.

Five Nights At Freddy's 2: The Weekend Shift

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Five nights at Freddies is a game a really respect, but I can't play it because it's just jump scares. I'm a huge pussy with jump scares which is why I much prefer the Silent Hill brand of horror. That being said, if Junji Ito is actually working on silent hills I'll be all over that poo poo.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 22, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I kinda hope the old animatronics end up brutally dismantling these new ones at some point during the game. Bonnie in particular can't be too happy about this situation.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I like that the sequel has the management running with the "official" explanation for why the animatronics kill you and their solution this time is "Eh, here's a mask, pretend to be a suit or somethin."

I wonder how they're going to explain why you can't just keep the mask on all the time. I hope it's a good one because I am not looking forward to another round of literally everyone making the exact same "Why does keeping the doors closed use up power? It makes, like, noooooo sense you guys! :downswords:" joke.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dijon du jour posted:

I like that the sequel has the management running with the "official" explanation for why the animatronics kill you and their solution this time is "Eh, here's a mask, pretend to be a suit or somethin."

I wonder how they're going to explain why you can't just keep the mask on all the time. I hope it's a good one because I am not looking forward to another round of literally everyone making the exact same "Why does keeping the doors closed use up power? It makes, like, noooooo sense you guys! :downswords:" joke.

Maybe the AC is broken in the place, or turned off to save on the electric bill. And it's just really really hot and stuffy inside the mask!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Maybe the AC is broken in the place, or turned off to save on the electric bill. And it's just really really hot and stuffy inside the mask!

Or the suits could get suspicious, or the mask might just be really lovely and you can't breathe, or different suits may react to the mask differently.

Who knows!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Macaluso posted:

Or maybe the protag is just really allergic to polyester and the "power" meter is replaced by "EpiPen supply".

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
A theory I've seen is the old animatronics will think you're a metal skeleton if they see you without a mask and will do the usual if they find you. The newer ones might have better technology and will leave you alone if they see you unmasked, but if they catch you with a mask on they'll think you're one of the old animatronics and try and disassemble you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's not so much a theory as what the narrating guard who keeps speaking on your answering machine states outright.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's a good idea, actually; with eight robots loving around you'll actually need to Pay The gently caress Attention to who is where, instead of just whether or not they're close to you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cardiovorax posted:

That's not so much a theory as what the narrating guard who keeps speaking on your answering machine states outright.

Oh really? Is there any more media about than the trailer and the Greenlight page?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

adamantium|wang posted:

Oh really? Is there any more media about than the trailer and the Greenlight page?
I was referring to the first game, I think I misunderstood what you were talking about.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Oh, I was talking about the second and why you couldn't just keep the mask down all the time.

e: From the Steam page:

quote:

Welcome back to the new and improved Freddy Fazbear's Pizza!

In Five Nights at Freddy's 2, the old and aging animatronics are joined by a new cast of characters. They are kid-friendly, updated with the latest in facial recognition technology, tied into local criminal databases, and promise to put on a safe and entertaining show for kids and grown-ups alike!

What could go wrong?

As the new security guard working nights, your job is to monitor cameras and make sure nothing goes wrong after-hours. The previous guard has complained about the characters trying to get into the office (he has since been moved to day-shift). So to make your job easier, you've been provided with your very own empty Freddy Fazbear head, which should fool the animatronic characters into leaving you alone if they should accidentally enter your office.

As always, Fazbear Entertainment is not responsible for death or dismemberment.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 22, 2014

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I should mention there is now a mascot that is literally The Thing and Robbie The Rabbit that apparently started out as a spine connected to a fox mascot head and by the time it reaches you somehow managed to get another head and more joints.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder if the old models are going to be angry at the new ones. Like they can't be happy about being shoved into storage. Here are these fancy updated versions of themselves taking over their jobs! Do the new robots have multiple sets of teeth, too?

Foxy flying the gently caress out of the darkness is going to be the worst. I almost hope he changes that up a bit, because that would've been an amazing blind scare the first time it happens. I'd imagine there's gonna be some really unsettling 'poo poo crawling through the vents' sounds, too.

SirDrone posted:

I should mention there is now a mascot that is literally The Thing and Robbie The Rabbit that apparently started out as a spine connected to a fox mascot head and by the time it reaches you somehow managed to get another head and more joints.

:cry: I don't want that flying at me from the darkness, either!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ChibiSoma posted:

I'd imagine there's gonna be some really unsettling 'poo poo crawling through the vents' sounds, too.

:stonk:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Five nights at Freddies is a game a really respect, but I can't play it because it's just jump scares. I'm a huge pussy with jump scares which is why I much prefer the Silent Hill brand of horror. That being said, if Junji Ito is actually working on silent hills I'll be all over that poo poo.

Wait, what? Junji Ito and Silent Hills? Where did you hear that?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

It was speculation and since proven to be untrue. Kojima is still bff's with Ito, though (and holy gently caress, there's a sleepover I wouldn't want to attend), so it's possible that he bounced some ideas off Ito while developing Silent Hills.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Ito is too busy working on Pokemon

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

Kojima had dinner with Ito back in like June 2013 and posted a pic to his twitter. That's pretty much where the rumors begin and end.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ChibiSoma posted:

Wonder if the old models are going to be angry at the new ones. Like they can't be happy about being shoved into storage. Here are these fancy updated versions of themselves taking over their jobs!

I think it's fair to see new Foxy looks like that because the old one really did not appreciate it at all.

Bonny having no face is probably the result of an altercation too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've made a terrible mistake this night.

:spooky: The 31 Days Many Games of October :spooky:

Challenge Games
1. Alien: Isolation
2. Year Walk
3. Deadlight
4. Adventures of Shuggy
5. Atom Zombie Smasher
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
7. Infected: The Twin Vaccine - Collector's Edition
8. How to Survive
9. 1953 - KGB Unleashed
10. Burn Zombie Burn!
11. Home
12. Huntsman: The Orphanage (Halloween Edition)
13. Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
14. Scarygirl
15. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
16. Closure
17. Alien Breed 2: Assault

Bonus Games
A. Painkiller: Black Edition
B. The Void
C. Shadowgrounds

-----------------

18. F.E.A.R. Online

gently caress this game.

I sat here for like five minutes thinking of clever hooks to start this review with, but none of them could capture how F.E.A.R. Online truly made me feel. I love F.E.A.R., you see. It was one of the formative FPS experiences for me, the perfect merging of awesome guns, fantastic atmosphere, and ridiculous action. I never did get around to playing 2 or 3, and perhaps that is for the best. Because I have seen the absolute depths that the F.E.A.R. series can sink to, and there is no way they could ever compare to what I have just experienced. They will be all the better for it.

F.E.A.R. Online is a free-to-play online FPS created by a Korean dev studio. If you have ever played a Korean FPS (Combat Arms, Sudden Attack), you'll find a lot of familiar problems greeting you. Technically, the game functions like a relic from a bygone era. You cannot change the graphics settings anywhere except in a lobby, and they're about on par with shooters from five years ago. The menus are a bloated mess of buttons including mailboxes and multiple store/equipment pages. The text is one step up from Google Translate. Your guide is a woman with possibly enormous breasts. Oh, and booting the game will gently caress up the Windows color scheme. Thanks, Korea.

So how does it play? Again, much like every other Korean FPS, it's a Counterstrike 1.6 mod with a different coat of paint. Deathmatch is the main mode, wherein you scoot around a flat map and camp corners, spraying at head level at enemies that look just like you unless they shelled out for sexy lady models. There's no way to get back lost health or armor, so your goal is to kill at least one person before you inevitably die. There's also a co-op horde mode and a knife-only mode I couldn't be compelled to try. Then there are the scenarios, scripted missions you play through with three teammates for rewards. We tried the easy one, where you have to escape an exploding base. I think it's supposed to be like that one mode in F.E.A.R. 3 where you run from the wall of darkness, except this time it's fire, and it's virtually impossible to outrun. You have to spend tokens to attempt the scenarios; you start with 3 and you get a new token every 8 hours. I died on the easy one three times, twice because the fire wall claimed my team and left me to face the rest of the level alone. No rewards for me.

Hey, remember that F.E.A.R. branding? Well, you get to enjoy it in the tutorial where Alma breaks you out of a operating room by doing a crabwalk jumpscare at you within the first 15 seconds. The rest of the tutorial alternates between killing braindead generic soldiers and watching Alma do spooky things every other room. It's ugly, ham-fisted, and boring. I saw some zombie-looking things in the scenario I attempted, but that was about as supernatural as things got. There's no slow-mo, no wily AI opponents, and very little crazy dismemberment. Every map is brightly-lit and the music is generic fighting crap.

It's poo poo, it's not F.E.A.R., don't play it, and shun people who do play it. Yes, even me. I accept my fate.

In fact, I'm so salty about this game I'm going to go on a F2P horror tear. That's right, it's time for another :spooky:BONUS ROUND:spooky:

D. Haunted Memories

I got lured into this one by the screenshots, with their weird otherworldly blue hues. Turns out there's a weird-as-gently caress filter over the whole game, like some kind of blue-green 3D glasses thing. You play some guy wandering around a campsite in the dead of night for reasons unknown. You wander around for a bit, finding locked doors and dead generators and TVs in the middle of nowhere, until you run into the Slenderman. No, I'm not kidding.

Interestingly enough, this turns into more of a game after you get through the first area. Slenderman gives way to actual enemies that you can fend off with a crowbar. However, the puzzles are obtuse throughout, featuring hard to find items and fidgety solutions even if you know what you're doing. Some of the areas have neat dreamlike qualities to them, and the ending isn't terrible, but the eye-searing graphics and terrible writing do more than enough to get in your way. There's a second free episode now with actual characters to interact with and more comprehensible graphics, but I was so turned off by this first installment that I just can't be bothered.

E. Serena

The premise was sound enough. You're a man waiting in a cabin for his wife Serena to return. The interface is like MYST, click to move through different scenes, and click on things to examine them. There's no inventory and no puzzles to solve. As you examine the contents of the cabin you learn more about the man's relationship, his feelings, and what really happened to his wife. It's solid, until you realize the only way to progress is to click on EVERYTHING that can be clicked in the cabin, then click on the plot point the game wants you to focus on, and then click on EVERYTHING again. I think 5 or 6 cycles of clicking on EVERYTHING gets you to the conclusion. It's not a bad experience and both the story and atmosphere are good, but you'd be lucky to get through it before the tedium takes hold.

F. The Forgotten Ones

This one's more of a game than the other two, but might actually suffer more for it. The story is some weird thing about the Holocaust and Nazi experiments, with you exploring an old manor in the mountains full of oddly aggressive corpses. You have an assortment of weapons to fight with and the level design is decent, but the enemies absolutely kill this one. They move cartoonishly fast, the hit detection is all over the place, and they are hilariously easy to confound by jumping up on a table or bookshelf. Coupled with poor writing and nonsensical cutscenes, there's pretty much nothing here worth seeing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

So, Chica is now a Xenomorph. Wonderful.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shadowlyger posted:

So, Chica is now a Xenomorph. Wonderful.

Chica has always been a xeno.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll probably wimp out and just watch an LP of this one, but I'll buy the game anyway. Unless it turns out the developer is an actual Nazi or something, he seems pretty cool and does everything(?) by his lonesome. Worth a few bucks.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

poptart_fairy posted:

I'll probably wimp out and just watch an LP of this one, but I'll buy the game anyway. Unless it turns out the developer is an actual Nazi or something, he seems pretty cool and does everything(?) by his lonesome. Worth a few bucks.

5NaF must be so much easier to develop than most games - there are almost no animations (except for Foxy jumping out), everything is static, there are only a few points of view, and everything takes place in a tiny little room. Does a good job with the result though, so kudos.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
I'm guessing that if there are 2 generations of animations in play, then it might mean you have to do something different in order to survive each one, like maybe put on different masks or something. Maybe so you can't just use the mask at all times?

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I went back to Undying. I remember really liking it but drat it, I'm not enjoying it now. You forget about certain things when it's been a long time. Undying does the one thing I can't stand in any first person shooter. It has the unending waves of enemies. You also don't know when they will be unending or not. I was killing those howler creatures and they just kept coming. After using up all my ammo I realized this was never going to end. I guess you just have to run around trying to avoid them. It keeps happening too. It happens with the mini-cthulhus, it happens with the ghost clergy, and it happens with the skeletons (even if you use your spell to put them down for good).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The best Undying fact is that Clive Barker had them redesign the main character, because he didn't consider the original concept art fuckable enough.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

poptart_fairy posted:

While not a nazi, the dev has been buying ads on Furaffinity which is pretty :laffo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Improbable Lobster posted:

While not a nazi, the dev has been buying ads on Furaffinity which is pretty :laffo:

It's brilliant. If you get spotted by one of the animatronics you get shoved into a fursuit where you will spend the rest of your life. Sounds perfect for Furaffinity.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Improbable Lobster posted:

2 Nights 2 Freddy's

I'll be surprised if he doesn't descend Golden Freddy from obscure cameo to the status of a more typical encounter (even if it's a surprise/endgame one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SirDrone posted:

Well Five Nights At Freddy's 2 trailer just came out, man the dev sure works fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPONdZBh6s
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329921390
- Highlights include
- Strange puppet man in drawings popping out of presents and giving children presents
- Drawings of kids dismembering the mascots arms or heads
- No Doors to keep them out now and instead a mask to hide under
- Zombie mascots alongside the new mascots out for your blood
- Former PC now works on a day shift and your the new night shift

Goddamn, I might actually have to play this one. The first one was unnerving enough to watch others play and this one seems even worse. :cripes: