Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

blurry! posted:

The metal in Korra is totally a metaphor for her own fear. This is called a narrative device. It's much more illustrative to an audience if what's holding a character back is expressed in a literal internal poison, instead of merely an abstract, purely mental hang up. The big challenge of season 4 is Korra must conquer her fear and grow as a person and that other people can't fight your battles for you. If the thing holding her back is fixable via an external medical procedure performed by someone else, it really flies in the face of that. Itd be dreadfully dull. The show has set up that Korra's issue is not just physical, but mental, but entirely internal that she must fix herself. It's called a metaphor.

So in this case, wouldn't it be more correct to call it a...

...metalphor?

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I could ban puns from this thread.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MrAristocrates posted:

I wish I could ban puns from this thread.

Well now you'll witness a string of bad posts.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rexides posted:

This can't be a coincidence.

For a cartoon poster, basically. A fancy one.

It isn't a coincidence, it's from the film. Their version of Zhao has it hanging in his office.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spergatory posted:

If they can create bending machines,

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So... what are the odds that Korra ultimately convinces Suyin to step up as the democratically-elected leader of the Earth Republic?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

So... what are the odds that Korra ultimately convinces Suyin to step up as the democratically-elected leader of the Earth Republic?

About 50/50. Other option is Wu, with comedy option Bolin as the underdog.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

senae posted:

I think it should be Bolin's grandma.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I guess if the Korra game is canon Korra basically murdered her way through the Triads and remaining Equalists between season 2 and 3.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

senae posted:

Actually, Korra realizing that Bolin has grown into a potential leader and guiding him along that path so that he can bring balance to the Earth Kingdom would be a pretty great ending to the series.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ImpAtom posted:

So I guess if the Korra game is canon Korra basically murdered her way through the Triads and remaining Equalists between season 2 and 3.
She took them out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jackard posted:

She took them out.

Out and into the stratosphere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jackard posted:

She took them out.

I'm just saying there's a scene where she beats the poo poo out of a guy and then tosses him into the ocean going "heh, hope you can swim."

Also the taunt move is utterly hilarious.

Honestly, I'm not seeing much of the complaints about this game. It's pretty Bayonetta-lite but it's still got a bunch of Bayonetta mechanics right down to having Dodge Offset.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The game seems kinda poorly optimized. I can play MGR at 60 FPS in 1080p but not this. :smith:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just saying there's a scene where she beats the poo poo out of a guy and then tosses him into the ocean going "heh, hope you can swim."

Honestly, I'm not seeing much of the complaints about this game. It's pretty Bayonetta-lite but it's still got a bunch of Bayonetta mechanics right down to having Dodge Offset.

Yeah, I think the problem is a lot of people are comparing it to Bayonetta(2) and it comes up short. But they're forgetting that this is a $15 download game. Put on that tier, it's probably close to top dog. It's fun, the different styles are all really neat but not so complex as to make it difficult, and you really do feel like you're playing Korra. There's a lot of neat little effects I like too, like if you attack while jumping while Waterbending you summon a vortex to stand on (same with Airbending, but very different look) but with Firebending you use the fire jet boots to hover.

That said, even just on Normal it's very Platinum and you'll get your poo poo kicked in until you get it down. Dodging, especially, is basically your best friend forever.

Also the Shadow Fists talisman is priceless (literally) and worth picking up. The code to unlock it is Right, Right, Left, Left, Square (on PS4, probably Y on Xbone/PC). Paired with some other talismans you can get, you can die to a stiff breeze but rack up massive amounts of experience, cash, and combo score super fast.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'll have fun going through Casual, because I am BAD at these games, but it's still lots of fun. I'm definitely getting better though.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Actually, Korra realizing that Bolin has grown into a potential leader and guiding him along that path so that he can bring balance to the Earth Kingdom would be a pretty great ending to the series.

You're right. Which is why it wouldn't happen unless it's dressed up like a joke.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Bolin was born and grew up in the United Republic, though. She'd be replacing a United Republic puppet (Wu) with an actual United Republic citizen, which I can't see the Earth Kingdom/Empire accepting. I do think it would be a cool end to Bolin's story though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pull a Bhutan (a country Bryke are said to love) and have Wu introduce democracy. He could play a ceremonial role as Head of State, which would be a really good fit considering his love of pomp, while elected officials actually run the kingdom. The monarchy would give legitimacy to the new government and act as a stabilizing bridge (which would make the little old ladies like Mako and Bolin's grandma happy) and the democracy would ensure that the Earth Kingdom is run by representatives from all over the kingdom and isn't subject to tyrannical monarchs anymore.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also the Shadow Fists talisman is priceless (literally) and worth picking up. The code to unlock it is Right, Right, Left, Left, Square (on PS4, probably Y on Xbone/PC). Paired with some other talismans you can get, you can die to a stiff breeze but rack up massive amounts of experience, cash, and combo score super fast.

Do you have the two costume codes as well?

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Messing up on the Naga sections is pretty hilarious.

One of the costumes is up,up,down,down then x or square. You have to scroll and highlight the costume to enter the code.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Where do you input the codes? title screen?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I wouldn't also be surprised if the Earth Kingdom just once again splinters off, but instead of chaos a bunch of new nationstates are formed

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Played 2 hours of the game. It's really tough for me, but I've never been great at this sort of game with the timed blocks and dodging. The difficulty of the fights is a bit uneven though. Anytime I have to fight more than one bender I'm in trouble, but I can manage most other enemies easily. The voice acting is a bit rough at points and I wish more of the characters from the show made an appearance, but overall it's pretty enjoyable. Certainly not the doom-and-gloom some of the reviews painted it as. I think the bending system is as well done as it could be in a game and you do feel like you're playing as Korra. It's not revolutionary, but it's satisfying.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Had an earthbender counterbend a water blast at me. Game: broken

Seriously though, gently caress earthbenders.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

She's never pretended to be a pacifist like Aang. If she kills someone in a fair fight I doubt she'd be that shook up about it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Charlz Guybon posted:

She's never pretended to be a pacifist like Aang. If she kills someone in a fair fight I doubt she'd be that shook up about it.

Given how her father fights, I wouldn't be surprised. If Tonraq was actually allowed to kill in the cartoon, it'd be a bloody mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm not saying it is out of character, just kind of amazing.

It also has one of the best possible responses to Chi Blocking in the series. "Hah, Avatar, I blocked your chi!" "You may have blocked by bending, but my fists still work!" Insert completely non-bending violence here.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I know that there have only been really minor spoilers for the game so far, but... I mean, this isn't a games thread, I would kind of like to go into the game with it all as fresh as possible. :\

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Unless you're willing to make a thread in Games for it

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Unless you're willing to make a thread in Games for it

There's this thing called "spoiler tags"...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not saying it is out of character, just kind of amazing.

It also has one of the best possible responses to Chi Blocking in the series. "Hah, Avatar, I blocked your chi!" "You may have blocked by bending, but my fists still work!" Insert completely non-bending violence here.

If there's a reason I'd want this show to be non-PG rated, seeing Korra just beat the poo poo out of someone who'd chi-blocked her with her fists and knees would probably be it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

If there's a reason I'd want this show to be non-PG rated, seeing Korra just beat the poo poo out of someone who'd chi-blocked her with her fists and knees would probably be it.

It's honestly a bit weird to see in the game where Korra just goes crazy physical. Without spoiling (I hope), the combat animations are all pure Platinum and so she really goes to town on even regular mooks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly a bit weird to see in the game where Korra just goes crazy physical. Without spoiling (I hope), the combat animations are all pure Platinum and so she really goes to town on even regular mooks.

One of my favourite scenes remains the short fight between Korra and the Lieutenant in the first season on top of the stadium. Yeah, logically all she needed to do was throw a bunch of fireballs at him but instead it turned into a short but sweet bending/quasi-MMA fight with jabs, blocks, counters, and knee lifts.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 22, 2014

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Why doesn't the show get mini-villains like this, I wonder?

Game spoilers, obviously. https://gfycat.com/ShimmeringNaughtyCaracal

I guess not flying around the world having 'filler' episodes prevents awesome encounters like this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't mind the difficulty of the game, but I wish there were more spots where you could take a break without losing your whole level progress. With so many fights so unforgiving even in normal mode, getting through one single chapter (plus the Naga race thing) could take nearly an hour. The Republic City chapter could honestly be split into three whole different stages.

[/gamereview]

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Toph must have been the best mom! :allears:

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 22, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Can earthbenders bend ceramics?

I mean you see them loving with tiles and stuff but thats always in places where eathbenders are and would logically wanna be able to bend some earth...

Like could I bend my coffee mug?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Depends how much earth there is left to bend. They probably put it all together in mere seconds at no cost, due to how easy moving the earth with your motions is.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

Can earthbenders bend ceramics?

I mean you see them loving with tiles and stuff but thats always in places where eathbenders are and would logically wanna be able to bend some earth...

Like could I bend my coffee mug?

Bending ceramics is probably trivial compared to bending metal. Though what counts as earth for bending is pretty much what the writers want it to be at the time. If an earthbender can manipulate metal because of trace amounts of 'earth' left in it they should also be able to bend lots of things. Plants have a lot of what could be called 'earth' in them since they're growing from the soil. Anything that eats those plants would then also get earth in them.

So what I'm saying is that if you follow earth->plants->animals then earthbenders should be able to bend the minerals in a human body. Or yank out someone's bones because they're made of calcium. Followed to their logical conclusions all the bending elements are incredibly deadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Can earthbenders bend the Thing from Fantastic Four?

• Locked thread