Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

It would be pretty awesome if he was Maximus. (even though he doesn't have any kids)

That was the first one that popped into my head too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It would be kind of funny if after all this time Skye turned out to actually be Daisy Johnson.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

It would be kind of funny if after all this time Skye turned out to actually be Daisy Johnson.

Daisy Johnson is loving awesome and would be awesome to see her on tv

Tunklord Supreme
Jun 4, 2011

dragon bong z

I had completely forgotten Mr. Hyde was Daisy Johnson's father, but yeah, the more I think about it the more I can see them taking it in that direction.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr. Hyde and Daisy Johnson makes way too much sense. It's almost too obvious in retrospect now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Tunklord Supreme posted:

I'm probably way off base with this, but his first and last scenes this episode were giving me a real strong Dr. Calvin Zabo/Mr. Hyde vibe. Not an Inhuman in the comics but who knows if that's true in the MCU.

Still not buying the Inhumans stuff, but after this week, I might have to lean more towards Hyde than High Evolutionary.

Problem with the Quake theory is that there's a 616 Skye on the Deodato cover of the upcoming TV-based SHIELD #1 comic who looks nothing like Daisy, and that book is supposed to be at least semi-consistent with the TV series as far as characterization goes.

Then again, that cover was already outdated by the time it was released at SDCC (it still has Rogers Cap and male Thor on it), and I'm not sure any of the interviews have mentioned a 616 Skye, so perhaps it doesn't actually represent the final book.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 22, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So did they just leave the unfinished greenscreen in the windows of that hangar scene? Like it was too poorly lit and they just said gently caress it?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Deadpool posted:

Mr. Hyde and Daisy Johnson makes way too much sense. It's almost too obvious in retrospect now.

Yeah this is really makes the most sense. I completely forgot about Hyde being her father, he fits really well with what we've seen of her father and she is a directly SHIELD related character.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Loved the Hellcow reference. Hopefully this is leading up to another Howard the Duck movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, I think the weakest link in this show right now is Raina. She talks too much about nothing in particular, she has no interesting motivations, and she's gotten to be fairly incompetent in a series where everyone else has grown rather more competent. I cringe whenever she appears onscreen now because everything she says and does evokes the worse quality of season 1.

Simmons is totes awesome now. I'd hoped to see more Hydra shenanigans from her, but I also like that they're not afraid to move along the plot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I have no doubt that the mid season finale with be INSANE.

I love how insane Paul Atredies looks.

Man just wants the spice to flow.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Man just wants the spice to flow.

I thought he wanted to coffee and pie to flow :(

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

At the end of the episode, what did Skye's dad say the obelisk was called?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Canned Panda posted:

At the end of the episode, what did Skye's dad say the obelisk was called?

The Diviner.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought he wanted to coffee and pie to flow :(

Pumpkin spice into his coffee. Hes seasonal like that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pumpkin spice into his coffee. Hes seasonal like that.

He likes Pumpkin Spice? He truly is evil.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DoctorWhat posted:

how did this show get so much better

Even the best shows tend to have trouble getting started. Star Trek TNG season 1 was atrocious, Stargate SG1 as well, even Babylon 5, oft held up as a well-planned story that didn't stretch itself out just to make more seasons, was kinda stumbling for a while.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
So, with the amount of misdirection this show is constantly throwing us, I'm gonna predict that CooperDad is going to use the Diviner as a means to befriend and later betray Hydra in an attempt to protect Skye. He obviously knows that he comes off as monstrous and even though he has rage issues, he is able to calm himself down at times. I dunno, just random speculation.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
When they were coming back from getting Simmonds in the jet they requested landing clearance when they were over a pretty large built up area - I thought the secret stadium sized SHEILD bunker was in the middle of nowhere?

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
They've been doing work.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, I think the weakest link in this show right now is Raina. She talks too much about nothing in particular, she has no interesting motivations, and she's gotten to be fairly incompetent in a series where everyone else has grown rather more competent. I cringe whenever she appears onscreen now because everything she says and does evokes the worse quality of season 1.

Simmons is totes awesome now. I'd hoped to see more Hydra shenanigans from her, but I also like that they're not afraid to move along the plot.

Up until this episode, she's been successful in any task she has put herself to (barring perhaps her capture after picking Coulson's brain in season 1, but avoiding that didn't appear to be a priority or even concern for her at the time). Being outsmarted for the first time by the new Big Bad of the series (who is obviously a step up from Garrett) doesn't void all of that. Watching her act out of desperation for once is just a nice change of pace.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

I can't believe they tossed out that Simmons plot so quickly.

Yeah this came as a surprise to me too. It seemed like a waste. Morse is probably a brainwashed Hydra sleeper, though.

It was also a little jarring how Skye was skeptical of Raina's connection to her father when she was talking to Ward but totally willing to believe it when Raina repeated the same thing later. Nothing happened between those two conversations to make Raina any more credible, right?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Potooweet posted:

Yeah this came as a surprise to me too. It seemed like a waste. Morse is probably a brainwashed Hydra sleeper, though.

It was also a little jarring how Skye was skeptical of Raina's connection to her father when she was talking to Ward but totally willing to believe it when Raina repeated the same thing later. Nothing happened between those two conversations to make Raina any more credible, right?

Skye didn't believe it earlier because she thought it was just something Raina told Ward to manipulate, knowing that he had a thing for Skye. This might be partially because she at this point is inclined to automatically assume that any information coming from Ward is false.

It became a lot more credible to her when Raina, not knowing that Ward has told them about it, walks in and repeats the same thing and in addition asks to have Skye come along with her, which she has no obvious motive for doing if she was lying. There's certainly still reason to be suspicious of her intentions in bringing Skye to her father, but at that point there's more (if still only a little) evidence of Raina knowing Skye's father being true, than of it being false.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 22, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm so glad all my concerns re:Agent Poots and the Alien Writing were brought up by the characters this episode. Now I just need to find some other detail to nitpick and grouse on. It's hard because this episode was pretty fun.
Skye treating Coulson like he's her overbearing father rather than her superior and the director of a spy agency is pretty tiresome I guess. I was pulling out my hair at the beginning and end of this episode when she was whinging about him keeping secrets.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, i'm seconding the "Muad'Dib pretends to help Whitehall with the obelisk and then fucks HYDRA over at the soonest opportunity to either protect Skye or kidnap her for himself" storyline possibility. That does kinda seem plausible. I mean, yes, he's clearly some sort of insane evil genius who, for a human, has an unusual knowledge of Marvel Universe alien tech (which will have to be explained at a further date), but he doesn't seem like the kind of evil genius who works well with others. HYDRA is probably just a means to an end like ApeHawk suggested.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Also, Skye being seemingly immune to the Kree formula and her potentially being able to translate the etchings leads me to believe that this season might reveal to us which one of her parents had the alien DNA. I'm thinking it's her mom, her dad being from space seems like it'd be too obvious at this point (his unusual knowledge of alien tech not withstanding).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Slashrat posted:

Up until this episode, she's been successful in any task she has put herself to (barring perhaps her capture after picking Coulson's brain in season 1, but avoiding that didn't appear to be a priority or even concern for her at the time). Being outsmarted for the first time by the new Big Bad of the series (who is obviously a step up from Garrett) doesn't void all of that. Watching her act out of desperation for once is just a nice change of pace.
She's always acted out of desperation, in a way. She was obsessed with meeting the Clairvoyant, then she tried to hitch her wagon to Garrett's crazy Hydra horse, and then apparently she's hung up on Skye Sr. for some reason, and now she's even trying to throw her lot in with SHIELD because her mega impressive superpower of talking smugly at people doesn't really work anymore when literally no one likes or trusts her.

I've always hated her modus operandi. I thought she was interesting for like five seconds near the end of s1 when Garrett turned out not to be the great all-seeing mastermind that she had envisioned, but now she's back to grinding the pace of the show to a halt whenever she shows up. Even now it's not like "Oooh it'll be so interesting to see what she'll do when she's at the end of her rope with nothing to lose!" 'cause I can tell you exactly what she's gonna do: the literal same thing that she's always done on the show, which is to powerwalk to different factions and talk smugly at them.

RAINAHATE2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

Also, Skye being seemingly immune to the Kree formula and her potentially being able to translate the etchings leads me to believe that this season might reveal to us which one of her parents had the alien DNA. I'm thinking it's her mom, her dad being from space seems like it'd be too obvious at this point (his unusual knowledge of alien tech not withstanding).

Since both of her parents turned into "monsters" and destroyed their village, it's likely both of them have alien DNA and the interbreeding or whatever happened before them.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I like Raina. I also love Skye's Dad and Whitehall. Watching them back stab each other through the rest of the season should be great. Why are villains so much cooler than heroes? Hail Hydra, I guess.

Darksaber posted:

Maybe they just got too tied up in laying the groundwork? Most everything from S1 is getting referenced or called back to, and maybe they thought the slow burn would be worth it?
It was completely worth it.

Granted I just marathoned the whole first season on bluray instead of watching it one week at a time so maybe that accounts for me feeling totally differently towards it than most goons.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fitz subconscious having the hots for Mac was amazing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It was technically Fitz's subconscious assuming that Simmons would have the hots for him, but I understand nothing can stop the shippers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm really enjoying the tit-for-tat small defeats that SHIELD and Hydra are dealing to each other. Generally in these types of shows the plucky underdog organization works tirelessly to stop some evil overpowering force and finally triumphs in the end. Agents of SHIELD has a far more realistic (albeit still over-the-top and occasionally silly) view of rivalry, where each side has victories and defeats, both big and small. No one is infallible and everyone makes mistakes. It makes the plotting more unpredictable and I like it.

Re: Raina I'm on the fence. I want to like her but at this point she seems more like a squandered resource and that's what I'm disliking. They want to keep her around but can't really tie her to anything particularly interesting. I did enjoy seeing her desperate, but it revealed that she really didn't have any connections or power to bring to bear when her own life was on the line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of think head Simmons isn't actually his subconscious, but someone or something messing with him.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's Skye's power manifesting subconsciously.

Yes we are heading into the era of Skitz.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 22, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
For a second I thought Skitz was some comics universe super human I didn't know about.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Simmons was totally brainwashed by Hydra.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ashpanash posted:

It's an interesting situation. On one hand, either Mockingbird or Simmons could have been brainwashed. On the other hand, SHIELD is aware of both that HYDRA has brainwashing capability and the possibility that anyone who spends time near HYDRA (like Bobbi or Jemma) could have been Fausted.

Complicating matters is the fact that a brainwashed victim remains normal until the whole "compliance will be rewarded" bit comes up.

So who's got the upper hand? HYDRA for maybe having brainwashed operatives in SHIELD? Or SHIELD being aware of the possibility and maybe using that knowledge to feed HYDRA bad intel? Could go either way...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Barry Convex posted:

Still not buying the Inhumans stuff, but after this week, I might have to lean more towards Hyde than High Evolutionary.

Problem with the Quake theory is that there's a 616 Skye on the Deodato cover of the upcoming TV-based SHIELD #1 comic who looks nothing like Daisy, and that book is supposed to be at least semi-consistent with the TV series as far as characterization goes.

Speaking of SHIELD #1, there's a variant cover that shows Deadpool parodying Coulson's wall writings, only most of it is him writing down recipes. The term "terrigen" is mixed in there at least once, so take that as you will.

Love the Skye/Daisy theory. It is kind of perfect. Daisy even had a story in Secret Warriors that feels similar enough to Skye. She had a teammate she was in love with betray the team for Hydra, all while claiming he was doing it for her. ...which now makes me realize exactly how Ward's story needs to end.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

ashpanash posted:

This is why that whole brainwashing angle is obnoxious as hell and I hope they ditch it soon. It takes all the fun out of speculating and makes plot twists extra cheap. Watching May beat the poo poo out of Agent 33 and fry her face was kind of unsatisfying because you know she's actually a legit S.H.I.E.L.D. agent who did everything she could to resist HYDRA. Skrulls would be better (edit: not really, I hate Skrull stuff too).

I'm just glad they had the sense to specifically establish the fact that Ward wasn't brainwashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm sure SHIELD has some anti-brainwashing stuff they do for agents they send into cover. It would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't.

• Locked thread