Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Swinemaster posted:

Thanks for the app, mr Cosby. This might be a known issue, but I have trouble with the bookmark/threads/other stuff sidebar. Even if I select "hide in landscape view" (which I use) it's still locked in place. I can do a work around where I go to portrait view, then disable, then reenable hide in landscape, then manually hide it in portrait, then go back to landscape. Then it will hide/reveal until the browser is closed. I'm on an ipad2.

I think that's mostly fixed in the next version, which is currently In Review. Hold tight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Do you have any beta users on TestFlight? Might be a good place to get quick feedback to your changes without having to wait for App Store releases?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Pretty unimportant but the app doesn't run properly with my phone upside down. The homescreen is fine, as is the mail app, but a lot of other apps don't seem to support it yet either.

I noticed it when i have my phone plugged in and upside down in my cupholder.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xilni posted:

Do you have any beta users on TestFlight? Might be a good place to get quick feedback to your changes without having to wait for App Store releases?

Yep, 13 testers at the moment. Will add even more as soon as Apple opens up their new TestFlight to everyone.

Brain Curry posted:

Pretty unimportant but the app doesn't run properly with my phone upside down. The homescreen is fine, as is the mail app, but a lot of other apps don't seem to support it yet either.

I noticed it when i have my phone plugged in and upside down in my cupholder.

Mail finally switched? Interesting. That's hilariously easy to handle, I'll do that next version.

Can anyone think of a downside to allowing portrait upside-down on the phone?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Can anyone think of a downside to allowing portrait upside-down on the phone?

The traditional reason was that disallowing upside-down is the only way to have a "landscape lock", as the orientation lock on iPhone is more of a "lock to portrait" feature. Use case is so you could read in landscape lying down in bed. You turn to landscape, then carry on to upside-down and the view stays in landscape.

I guess if Apple are supporting it in their apps now though..

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Supporting it in mail anyway. Although i have a 6+ so I get the other landscape UI in mail. Don't know if it's the same on other devices.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Upside down is not working on my 6. I think it's just due to the fact that the 6+ seems to be treated like an iPad in many respects.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That all makes sense. A setting for allowing portrait upside down has been on my todo list for ages. Good to know something like it is still wanted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For cache-debris diagnostic, someone with iFunbox or XCode could see what was left behind.

Does the size of the cache affect app speed?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Does the size of the cache affect app speed?

I don't think so. It might slow it down at some point (like gigabyte+) I guess.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I am on an iPad Air version 1 (not the new one) and have the latest iOS and Awful app and also get the sidebar weirdness and left right jitter when trying to vertically scroll in a thread.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What the hell does the app even cache to reach a gigabyte of used space? Isn't the stuff in the cache ever invalidated?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Smol posted:

What the hell does the app even cache to reach a gigabyte of used space? Isn't the stuff in the cache ever invalidated?

Uhhh...

no

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought it was invalidated, but never expired? Post edits show up at least.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I thought it was invalidated, but never expired? Post edits show up at least.

Oh, yes. I assume Smol meant expired.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should whip the iPad version into an app for mac store and enable Handoff because this poo poo is loving magic and I love it and require it to make posts on the internet. :colbert:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's coming!

The other direction requires some work on the part of management of this here Forums, and I'm debating even asking about it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I'd use an Awful app for the Mac.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think I've said it before, but just in case: I have zero interest in making an Awful Mac app, but I will cheerfully help anyone who is interested.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Add another vote for upside down portrait. :) When I am lying down with my phone propped up on my chest and headphones plugged in, it's awkward

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So hey, what exactly are we doing between "tap on link to other post" and "popping up Locating Post status indicator"? It's north of 5 seconds on my iPad Air and 5S.

Hmm, it's faster if the post is the cache, I think. Are we searching the Cache of Endlessness, and stopping earlier when we find it?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 23, 2014

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't wait for copy image url again. I just wanna share gifs on fb messenger :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gifs :argh: Just noticed that looking at the profile of someone who has an animated gif avatar pretty much locks the screen on my 4s once the avatar and the big blurry background load. I can close the profile page but not scroll it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I think I've said it before, but just in case: I have zero interest in making an Awful Mac app, but I will cheerfully help anyone who is interested.

Actually please actively discourage anyone attempting to make an Awful Mac app because what the gently caress

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Actually please actively discourage anyone attempting to make an Awful Mac app because what the gently caress

Technically I got this kind of support for free, since Windows 10 has windowed "desktop-ish" support for WinRT apps. It's actually not as horrible as you would think. Although I gotta fix a bunch of bugs to make it really worthwhile.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

pokeyman posted:

It's coming!

The other direction requires some work on the part of management of this here Forums, and I'm debating even asking about it.

Isn't it just uploading a file? Ask, I'm sure 'tax won't mind, he loves it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

So hey, what exactly are we doing between "tap on link to other post" and "popping up Locating Post status indicator"? It's north of 5 seconds on my iPad Air and 5S.

Hmm, it's faster if the post is the cache, I think. Are we searching the Cache of Endlessness, and stopping earlier when we find it?

Here's the answer. Five-second cache failures are pretty terrible though.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Well yeah I dunno why people want it but it's not the first time someone's brought it up. By "help" i mostly meant "help share some code/knowledge" not actual work on my part.

chaosbreather posted:

Isn't it just uploading a file? Ask, I'm sure 'tax won't mind, he loves it.

Not quite, it's gotta be signed, which is just enough work to make me think twice. I'll ask once I double-check that the certificate should work.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Pokeyman are you really making a SA smilies iOS 8 keyboard?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

terre packet posted:

Pokeyman are you really making a SA smilies iOS 8 keyboard?

He's made it

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It's beautiful.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Give me a link or some more info or something you big jerk. :argh:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lowtax should just accept that Awful is the right way to read SA on iOS. Anyone who is willing to spend american dollars to be a member of a forum is willing to go to the app store and get the free app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Here's the answer. Five-second cache failures are pretty terrible though.

My app is 1.1G on the phone, so if that's a table scan then yeah bad times. Do you index the store on postid?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

My app is 1.1G on the phone, so if that's a table scan then yeah bad times. Do you index the store on postid?

:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Databases suck, I hate them.

Or more accurately, making them not suck to use sucks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

There are no indexes on any of this poo poo. gently caress me.

Well, the next version should run a bit faster. I don't think "under-promise and over-deliver" typically includes self-sabotage but here we are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Index on ALL COLUMNS. :jeb:

And listen to the wailing as performance tanks in other areas. And storage balloons even more.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Index on ALL COLUMNS. :jeb:

And listen to the wailing as performance tanks in other areas. And storage balloons even more.

I'm thinking indexes on all possible combinations of columns too. You can never be too careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pokeyman posted:

I'm thinking indexes on all possible combinations of columns too. You can never be too careful.

You really need some outer joins referencing the same table for fun and profit.

• Locked thread