Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

You can start without rerolling for SS monsters and be fine for pretty much the entire game. You're given 2 free rolls, in addition to a character you only get via the IAP machine if you start right now. You get a buttload of free IAP currency for rare monster rolls in the first week of starting to play. You accrue enough IAP currency for a rare monster roll every ~8 days after that. You can get enough energy for another free rare monster roll or two within a single day of play if you're diligent at dungeon clearing/making sure not to hit full stamina. It's honestly probably the most friendly game wrt IAP in the whole genre.

Yeah, and you don't even need S ranks to get by, I've got a team of B's with a couple A's and I'm doing just fine. Hell, I think some people are using teams of just the C rank trash. Strategy is by far the most important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I have spent literally hours looking for just a plain loving golf game and none exist. There used to be at least a few, now they are all gone in favor of these hosed out freemium games. I think I'll mess with Golf Star for now though since it's the least offensive. Yeah that King game is insanely bad for what could have been a pretty well done game.

Mind writing a mini-review once you've had a chance to play it? I could use a new golf game but I'm don't want to download 1.5gbs only to find out the game is poo poo (the internet sucks around here).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just picked up Battle Cats. Pretty fun so far, and deliciously weird. The IAP seems fine for now. If anyone else is starting out and wants free experience (while also helping me), my code to enter is yyfz4.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

croutonZA posted:

Mind writing a mini-review once you've had a chance to play it? I could use a new golf game but I'm don't want to download 1.5gbs only to find out the game is poo poo (the internet sucks around here).

The golf gameplay is pretty well done as a standard type game. Lots of missions and events, some multiplayer it seems. The IAP is THICK but it seems you can ignore most of it minus the "stamina" but that's given out fairly regularly and refills quick enough. Gear upgrades are also able to be gotten without too much iap currencies as well. Based on a 1-5 ranking I give it "good enough for now."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Banner Saga is great and anyone saying otherwise should stop.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Banner Saga is great and anyone saying otherwise should stop.

About the only thing I can't stand is how stupid it feels that my own units can trap each other due to their size and not being able to get past each other.
You learn to plan around it but after years of being used to slipping past my own lines like FFT lets you it's pretty frustrating.

I can forgive it almost purely on the basis of the love that went into the art and animation for it. Attacks always look so heavy and brutal and I adore the character design.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Banner saga actually was subject to a lot of criticism re: it's combat if I remember correctly. I certainly didn't find it very interesting but to each their own.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
For anyone who hasn't played Banner Saga, here's a small description of the combat system and its flaws (from my point of view):

Combat takes place in a grid without any defining features in most battles. I think once there is a hole in the ground, but usually there is no terrain, chokepoints or whatever. Units have two main stats, Armor and Strength. You can reduce either in any give attack.

Strength is a measure of both HP (at 0 Strength the unit dies) and how hard you hit (Strength damage is Attacking Strength-Defending Armor). Each unit can reduce an opposing unit's Armor for a given amount, independent of Strength, so even a ST 1 unit can chip away some Armor and be slightly useful.

So each turn you have to decide whether to attack someone's Strength (so they can deal less damage, and hopefully die) or attack Armor (so the following Strength attacks deal more damage). This is all well and good and interesting, because a 25 STR behemoth is loving menacing, but with your 15 STR guys can't do more than 2-3 damage against his 12 Armor, so then you have to reduce Armor to hurt him properly, and you don't have time before he acts, and someone is going to die.

The defining factor of the combat is that both yours and the enemy team move one unit each. This means that depending how many units each team has, some units will be acting faster than others. If there are 3 enemy units against 6 allies, the aforementioned behemoth may be taking 2 turns for each of your unit's, and that's not good. Once there is only one enemy (or ally) then the turns change to Pillage mode, where every unit acts once.

The best strategy is to weaken as many units as possible, so the enemy’s turns would be spent on units with STR 1 or 2, which are mostly infective. This is counterintuitive and, frankly, a little bit silly.

The combat has some more bells and whistles, but it’s pretty basic. You cannot tag one enemy unit so it doesn’t move through your front line to attack your archers, a member of a given class is exactly the same than another guy in the same profession (and there aren’t many to begin with), etc…

Still completely worth it for the story and presentation, in my opinion.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Fat Samurai posted:

The defining factor of the combat is that both yours and the enemy team move one unit each. This means that depending how many units each team has, some units will be acting faster than others. If there are 3 enemy units against 6 allies, the aforementioned behemoth may be taking 2 turns for each of your unit's, and that's not good. Once there is only one enemy (or ally) then the turns change to Pillage mode, where every unit acts once.

The best strategy is to weaken as many units as possible, so the enemy’s turns would be spent on units with STR 1 or 2, which are mostly infective. This is counterintuitive and, frankly, a little bit silly.

The combat has some more bells and whistles, but it’s pretty basic.

I agree its basic and hope that TBS2 can improve on the depth, like maybe more than one special skill per person for example. Some people criticize the turn taking mechanic, but I think it makes the combat remain intense even if you outnumber your enemy rather than most tactical games where you just lazily finish off the last few stragglers after dispatching the main force of enemies.

The weakening mechanic is more counter traditional than counter intuitive imo. Most games allow someone with 1 hitpoint to be just as functional as when they are at full health, which if it wasn't the way almost every game functioned, would be counter intuitive. It makes sense that if you leave multiple enemies completely unharmed but kill off one or two, you are going to be in for some pain rather than if you maim everybody but they are all still technically standing at the end of your round. This design decision was pretty impressive to me actually and highlights a strength of their combat system.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

For anyone who hasn't played Banner Saga, here's a small description of the combat system and its flaws (from my point of view):

Combat takes place in a grid without any defining features in most battles. I think once there is a hole in the ground, but usually there is no terrain, chokepoints or whatever. Units have two main stats, Armor and Strength. You can reduce either in any give attack.

Strength is a measure of both HP (at 0 Strength the unit dies) and how hard you hit (Strength damage is Attacking Strength-Defending Armor). Each unit can reduce an opposing unit's Armor for a given amount, independent of Strength, so even a ST 1 unit can chip away some Armor and be slightly useful.

So each turn you have to decide whether to attack someone's Strength (so they can deal less damage, and hopefully die) or attack Armor (so the following Strength attacks deal more damage). This is all well and good and interesting, because a 25 STR behemoth is loving menacing, but with your 15 STR guys can't do more than 2-3 damage against his 12 Armor, so then you have to reduce Armor to hurt him properly, and you don't have time before he acts, and someone is going to die.

The combat has some more bells and whistles, but it’s pretty basic. You cannot tag one enemy unit so it doesn’t move through your front line to attack your archers, a member of a given class is exactly the same than another guy in the same profession (and there aren’t many to begin with), etc…

Still completely worth it for the story and presentation, in my opinion.

The only thing I agree with is the fact that weakening trumps killing an enemy unit. But the fact is, even weakenedu nits can dish our their full armor damage if I recall. As for the 3 v 6 mechanic it's a balancing/comeback one for the multiplayer component but one that also steadies out and doesn't negate the advantage you gained by taking down their units or playing better.

It's a weird tactical experience where positioning and using your varied units intelligently, is key. You have to know what the enemy is doing, and will do when their turn comes up in order to negate their behemoths/steal a win.

I don't see how it's simple, because it lacks terrain or unit passthrough or whatever, there's something like 7 different classtypes? Along with 3 promotions each. If it's simple what could be said of chess? Sure it's a simple game but that by no means suggest it's boring with it's simplicity, or lacks tactical depth.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 21, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anything similar to "Don't Starve" on iOS? I got into it during the free weekend and would love a version on my iPad, but since that isn't a thing anything close?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It plays well with Splashtop, there's that.

There isn't really anything close, though. You could say Towns is similar but that would be like calling Pluto a planet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seems like it would be a good fit for a tablet game. Hope they're working on a port!

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Pladdicus posted:

I don't see how it's simple, because it lacks terrain or unit passthrough or whatever, there's something like 7 different classtypes? Along with 3 promotions each. If it's simple what could be said of chess? Sure it's a simple game but that by no means suggest it's boring with it's simplicity, or lacks tactical depth.

I am tired of the chess thing they keep mentioning. TBS is not chess, and it does lack tactical depth. Thats like saying 'a ferrari is italian, so all italian cars are fast' It's a convenient excuse they think holds water. Just because you make a simple game, does not give it the immense tactical depth that chess, pretty much the exception to the rule, possesses. You mention 7 classes, with 3 promotions. Thats comically shallow compared to any other legitimate SRPG. And it's not just a numbers game, the tactical variety of the game is weak. I love the game but I wish the gameplay could hold a candle to it's competitors.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Pladdicus posted:

As for the 3 v 6 mechanic it's a balancing/comeback one for the multiplayer component but one that also steadies out and doesn't negate the advantage you gained by taking down their units or playing better.

Yes it does. It completely negates your advantage. Killing weak dudes is detrimental to you. If you spend 10 turns killing dudes and leave two Defenders with 20 Strength running around, your team of 6 will be ragged and ineffective by the time every unit has a turn. Instead of facing six enemies with Strength 5-10 you're facing (effectively) six attacks at Strength 20 minus whatever you can chip away with already weakened allies.

I guarantee you that you won't win any of the more difficult battles if you focus on defeating single units instead of taking the biggest threat (and by that I mean the dude with high strength that can attack somewhat soon) down a peg. There are some special cases, but that's the gist of it.

By the way, I never said combat was boring. I said it was simple, and that you shouldn't buy Banner Saga for the combat sections.

jubelio posted:

You mention 7 classes, with 3 promotions.
Forgot about this: the promotions are just "do the same, but slightly better", IIRC. No change in the characters besides bigger numbers (and a slightly larger Area of effect for skills, maybe?).

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All that leaves you with is playing a video game for its literature.

Save your monies.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Zigmidge posted:

Save your monies.
Anyone who would pay $5 for a visual novel (like Sorcery) would do well to buy it. Otherwise, don't.

Some people like stories/presentation. There's no need to poo poo on a good game because it's not your thing.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
For what it's worth my The Battle Cats code is nmy8h.

I am thoroughly enjoying it, I never really played much of the original Battle Cats so it's all quite fresh to me.

Today I also tried out the new Angry Birds game, the Transformers one. It is not good, and I quite enjoyed the original Angry Birds. It's a kind of endless runner/on rails shooter hybrid where your mashup of an Angry Bird and a Transformer runs along and you tap targets for them to shoot. The problem, to me, seemed to be the really erratic gating and paywalls; you do the first few missions, and then it jumps from 30/50 pigs (one of three currencies) to unlock a new bird to 300, and 1000 coins to 7,500 to unlock a new set of levels. Add to that upgrades have timers, repairing your birds has a timer, and even replaying past levels has a timer on it that could be several hours and it's a bit of a mess of waiting for things to happen unless you pay gems (the premium currency).

The actual tap to shoot gameplay is simple but could be fun, but there's way too many barriers to playing it - I have quite a high tolerance for timers and all that sort of thing but something about the way Angry Birds Transformers did it bothered me.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there anything more to Helix or is it just what it is, a pretty simple action game?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Save your monies.

I think I get your point, but 80 Days is one of the best iOS games I've ever played and it's pretty much just literature, so. v:shobon:v

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I wish they had the regular Fat Princess on iOS instead of this hard rear end IAP riddled 3-match.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Is it just me, or ... in the New Words With Friends (forced update) is Zynga playing with the letters you get to even the scores? I'm playing someone who I normally beat by 100 to 200 points, and I haven't seen a vowel in about 10 rounds.

Also, a "capture game" I co-designed in 2009 (Bag Bigfoot), that was cloned many times, will be coming out as a free ad-supported thing in about a week ... re-skinned with a abstract theme. Details soon.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Thirst Mutilator posted:

You can start without rerolling for SS monsters and be fine for pretty much the entire game. You're given 2 free rolls, in addition to a character you only get via the IAP machine if you start right now. You get a buttload of free IAP currency for rare monster rolls in the first week of starting to play. You accrue enough IAP currency for a rare monster roll every ~8 days after that. You can get enough energy for another free rare monster roll or two within a single day of play if you're diligent at dungeon clearing/making sure not to hit full stamina. It's honestly probably the most friendly game wrt IAP in the whole genre.

What you have described is the very problem with IAP-style games. It's all about managing yourself and your lifestyle if you don't want to sink money into a hole. "You get a bunch of free money! You can get enough money if you manage your stamina perfectly!" I don't think these games are respectful of the people playing them and by its very nature expects us to be like little pigs suckling away at their moneysink. gently caress that, IAP is the worst thing and it can go to hell.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

What you have described is the very problem with IAP-style games. It's all about managing yourself and your lifestyle if you don't want to sink money into a hole. "You get a bunch of free money! You can get enough money if you manage your stamina perfectly!" I don't think these games are respectful of the people playing them and by its very nature expects us to be like little pigs suckling away at their moneysink. gently caress that, IAP is the worst thing and it can go to hell.

And we're saying that Terra Battle isn't like that. The energy mechanic refreshes quick enough that I've never run into not being able to play when I want to. I've spent 0 dollars on the game, and at halfway through the current content, I see absolutely no reason to do so. You can be upset at IAP, but you're seriously complaining about the most generous IAP setup I've ever seen. Punch Quest and The Battle Cats are more annoying in terms of IAP than Terra Battle.

Edit: Hell, Terra Battle's IAP system is friendlier and more respectful to its customers than any dlc or expansion pack I've ever seen. There is 0 reason to spend money on the game and I find it bizarre that people actually do so.

EroticBlacksmith fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 22, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The Battle Cats:

Do I need to do anything with these treasures? I have inferior, normal, and superior items on a page and it says "activate this for a bonus of sone kind." Do I need to get all the treasures to fill each square to activate it or what?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feenix posted:

The Battle Cats:

Do I need to do anything with these treasures? I have inferior, normal, and superior items on a page and it says "activate this for a bonus of sone kind." Do I need to get all the treasures to fill each square to activate it or what?

Correct. And the quality of the treasure means how strong the bonus is. You want to work on the XP and money ones. They help a bunch.

Also I loving love how this game has gone all PAD on us. The rare cat machine, a regular daily free machine and now even rewards like 30 cat food (premium currency) every day until the 31st.

Time to start buying cats.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
A lot of games reinvented themselves with dragonesque trappings after PAD blew up; it's kind of funny/depressing.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

I still don't understand why the cost of cat food is so insanely expensive when they keep giving it to us for free anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What control do I have after getting certain treasures? Any?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Specific IAP monsters don't dictate your play style, you don't need specific IAP monsters to clear significant parts of the content, and stamina regeneration is so rapid from the get go that you can play for almost 2 hours straight without needing to wait, probably longer. If you don't dig the collect them all PAD like structure that's fine but TB is the best structured I've encountered for people who hate the kind of "play every waking moment" neurosis freemium to games are notorious for fostering. I'm genuinely curious how much of the game you played.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Feenix posted:

What control do I have after getting certain treasures? Any?

None unless you use items.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Box of Cats and Ninja Cat are the best. God Cat gives you a one-time win button but starts charging afterwards in Cat Food. Basic, early-game strategy -- poo poo out basic Cats to stem the tide of opfor enemies until you've fully powered up Worker Cat, at which point save up your wallet until it's nearly full and then just buy one of everything. Tank Cat + Gross Cat can get you through a lot of regular stuff, but you'll need Axe Cat for red enemies, which chew up most stuff real easy. Think of your cannon as an outward poke, not as a last-ditch defense, because it'll never be strong enough to take down the big baddie busting down your wall. Don't bother upgrading your base health -- if an enemy's that far to the base, they've basically already won.

Treasures are wholly random unless you pop a Treasure Radar, which are daily freebies / IAP traps.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 22, 2014

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

30 cat food (premium currency) every day until the 31st.

Wait, how do you get this? I got this on my first login, but nothing today. I figured it was a one-time thing to get people to buy more.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HPanda posted:

Wait, how do you get this? I got this on my first login, but nothing today. I figured it was a one-time thing to get people to buy more.

Have you logged in today (as in Wednesday) yet? They just started today to celebrate 1million downloads.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

By the way, I never said combat was boring. I said it was simple, and that you shouldn't buy Banner Saga for the combat sections.

I extrapolated, if simple is bad it's probably because you think it's boring as a result? I may be wrong.

Fat Samurai posted:

Yes it does. It completely negates your advantage. Killing weak dudes is detrimental to you. If you spend 10 turns killing dudes and leave two Defenders with 20 Strength running around, your team of 6 will be ragged and ineffective by the time every unit has a turn. Instead of facing six enemies with Strength 5-10 you're facing (effectively) six attacks at Strength 20 minus whatever you can chip away with already weakened allies.

I guarantee you that you won't win any of the more difficult battles if you focus on defeating single units instead of taking the biggest threat (and by that I mean the dude with high strength that can attack somewhat soon) down a peg. There are some special cases, but that's the gist of it.
Yes but if you lose any soldiers as a result of their extra turns, you'll be at their advantage, that's why it's not strictly detrimental because you held a unit lead which is the win condition. But of course, if your guys are weak and alive and theirs are some dead but the rest strong you're at a disadvantage.

Absolutely, but why is that an inherent bad thing? It's unusual, to be sure, but why is it bad? The point of the battles is to weaken enemies and then pick them off when you can sweep. Not to mention weakened enemies still present 100% armor threat, if I remember correctly. It's been a bit since I played.

jubelio posted:

I am tired of the chess thing they keep mentioning. TBS is not chess, and it does lack tactical depth. Thats like saying 'a ferrari is italian, so all italian cars are fast' It's a convenient excuse they think holds water. Just because you make a simple game, does not give it the immense tactical depth that chess, pretty much the exception to the rule, possesses. You mention 7 classes, with 3 promotions. Thats comically shallow compared to any other legitimate SRPG. And it's not just a numbers game, the tactical variety of the game is weak. I love the game but I wish the gameplay could hold a candle to it's competitors.

When the argument is simple/limited features is bad of course chess comes up, it's a weak point to make because it doesn't say WHY it's bad that it's simple. If the point is its boring/unchallenging/there are no tactical decisions to make okay! But I don't think that was stated, and I also don't think it's true. If you think character advancement is weak, I'd agree because everyone character evolves, ideally, the same way. Promotions increasing depth is misleading, I'll agree but it does provide some diversity.

I enjoyed the battle system, the goal of weakening units but not killing them was a cool moment of realization, managing positioning to set up strings of kills so I could finish off the enemy team, such their our 1-1 turns did not put me at a disadvantage. I felt it had a great breadth of depth to it. The only thing that frustrated me about the game was the lack of forseeable outcomes with decisions in the story.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Have you logged in today (as in Wednesday) yet? They just started today to celebrate 1million downloads.

Ah, that's probably it. I'm on the West coast.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Can apps become universal? I'm just wondering what the chances are of my iPad copy of the world ends with you becoming playable on my phone.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Apocron posted:

Can apps become universal? I'm just wondering what the chances are of my iPad copy of the world ends with you becoming playable on my phone.

Yes (Baldurs Gate, for example) but I think the chances go downhill a little when there's already an iPhone version.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bogart posted:

Box of Cats and Ninja Cat are the best. God Cat gives you a one-time win button but starts charging afterwards in Cat Food. Basic, early-game strategy -- poo poo out basic Cats to stem the tide of opfor enemies until you've fully powered up Worker Cat, at which point save up your wallet until it's nearly full and then just buy one of everything. Tank Cat + Gross Cat can get you through a lot of regular stuff, but you'll need Axe Cat for red enemies, which chew up most stuff real easy. Think of your cannon as an outward poke, not as a last-ditch defense, because it'll never be strong enough to take down the big baddie busting down your wall. Don't bother upgrading your base health -- if an enemy's that far to the base, they've basically already won.

Treasures are wholly random unless you pop a Treasure Radar, which are daily freebies / IAP traps.

My strategy at the beginning is usually to send out the least number of cats to hold off the enemy without reaching their base* while upgrading your worker cat to level 4, then send out a Titan and the money will come from kills for the rest of the worker cat upgrades. Base and cannon upgrades are for chumps. Overleveling your cats by using the cat capsules after you hit max level make the game a lot easier.

*Reaching their base or doing a set amount of damage to their base usually triggers a boss monster or wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette

Bob Smith posted:

For what it's worth my The Battle Cats code is nmy8h.
Under you my battle cats code is: l0g4l

I played this game when it was just battle cats and it really does feel different with the minor little additions that have been added. It also feels tougher than I remember I suppose to encourage grinding for or paying for the rare capsules.
I just opened it up and saw it mention getting a rare capsule for October but didn't get one, are they worth paying for? Im just wondering if anyone tried them out yet and if you get awesome cats out of it. I hate how grindy this game can get when you cant clear a stage