Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
So I got a Wii U and have no Gamecube backup, and I'm wondering why the hell Prime Trilogy is a hundred+ dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenaero posted:

So I got a Wii U and have no Gamecube backup, and I'm wondering why the hell Prime Trilogy is a hundred+ dollars.

It was a very limited print run.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The way Nintendo was talking before the Wii U launch, I feel like they expected they would have Gamecube games downloadable on the Wii U by now or that it would sell so well people would eat up ports of everything like Wind Waker HD. So we have these weird outliers like Luigi's Mansion and such that command a stupidly high price for how mass printed they were. Crazy thing is GameStop actually ordered a full reprint of Prime Trilogy similar to what they did with Xenoblade at the same time that went as low as $29.99 at one point but they got eaten up way faster than Xenoblade by Ebay people.

But yeah in general I would never buy the Prime Trilogy, just get a cheap Gamecube, you can buy GC Prime and Prime 2 for like $2 each. Due to how some elements were achieved on the Gamecube, there are a few graphical effects that actually aren't present on the Prime Trilogy version. Prime 1 and 2 also have like the the slickest looking/sounding title screens of anything Nintendo's ever made, which isn't a huge deal but it's weird that the front end they made for the Trilogy release removes them completely.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

MaxDuo posted:

I really dislike that the Link figure will have a special use in Hyrule Warriors. It makes me afraid that they will indeed tie the amiibos to only the games they are in.

Aren't a bunch of non-mario characters going to be DLC in Mario Kart?

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

katkillad2 posted:

Aren't a bunch of non-mario characters going to be DLC in Mario Kart?
Only Link and Isabelle and the villager from Animal Crossing. Not sure if that counts as "a bunch."

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

PrBacterio posted:

Only Link and Isabelle and the villager from Animal Crossing. Not sure if that counts as "a bunch."

Fingers crossed for a Kirby DLC.

mabels big day posted:

Be still my beating heart...! Yoshi's Circuit was one of the greatest Double Dash tracks this side of Dinosaur jungle and Daisy Cruiser

Please please PLEASE let Daisy Crusier be a DLC track

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fingers crossed for a Kirby DLC.

Please please PLEASE let Daisy Crusier be a DLC track

Baby Park. The full eight-lap version :unsmigghh:.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

7 laps, you scrub.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Macaluso posted:

I hope one of the retro tracks is Bowser's Castle from 64 :pray:

I hope so too since N64 Bowser's Castle is one of, if not the best Mario Kart track of all time. Unfortunately it was in Mario Kart Wii so they might be hesitant to reuse it so soon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nice revamp.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kurtofan posted:

Nice revamp.

I like the Yoshi house in the bottom right.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kurtofan posted:

Nice revamp.

Looks mostly good, although there's a pretty distinct "tile" effect on the water which is bugging me a fair bit (though I suppose that'll almost never be noticed when playing). I like how his shoe and the rest of the bottom has been reworked into a tiny little village of some sort.

Also, I really hope that remix isn't final. It sounds alright, but I keep feeling like some of the phrases in the sax should be an octave higher than they are. Helps the repeats on the melody feel a little fresh, as well as giving 'em a little more energy.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Has there been any word on when the first dlc will release? Two of my friends actually paid me in beers to download the dlc - it'd be nice to know when i can invite them over for more beers and mario karting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Narcissus1916 posted:

Has there been any word on when the first dlc will release? Two of my friends actually paid me in beers to download the dlc - it'd be nice to know when i can invite them over for more beers and mario karting.

Sometime in November, with the second one in May.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Well, poo poo. Just got my used copy of mario sunshine in the mail from an amazon seller... and the drat thing gives my Wii a disc read error. Contacted the seller, hopefully I can send it back. In the meantime, I suppose my only options are gambling with either another amazon seller or craigslist.

Goddamnit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neo Rasa posted:

The way Nintendo was talking before the Wii U launch, I feel like they expected they would have Gamecube games downloadable on the Wii U by now or that it would sell so well people would eat up ports of everything like Wind Waker HD. So we have these weird outliers like Luigi's Mansion and such that command a stupidly high price for how mass printed they were. Crazy thing is GameStop actually ordered a full reprint of Prime Trilogy similar to what they did with Xenoblade at the same time that went as low as $29.99 at one point but they got eaten up way faster than Xenoblade by Ebay people.

But yeah in general I would never buy the Prime Trilogy, just get a cheap Gamecube, you can buy GC Prime and Prime 2 for like $2 each. Due to how some elements were achieved on the Gamecube, there are a few graphical effects that actually aren't present on the Prime Trilogy version. Prime 1 and 2 also have like the the slickest looking/sounding title screens of anything Nintendo's ever made, which isn't a huge deal but it's weird that the front end they made for the Trilogy release removes them completely.

This was also why Gamestop liquidated their entire GC stock. Because Digital Downloads were supposedly coming.

Stuff was 75%-90% off at the time and you could pick up any game for the system for under 5 bucks. Mario Games at most were selling for 2.50.

Not only that but a few of the sales were BOGOs. So spend 4 dollars, walk out with 8 non-sports games.

If you wanted sports games you had to fork over 25-50 cents.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone know if Wii U peripherals, namely the pro controller, are region locked? I've read enough varying things on the internet and know Nintendo is batshit crazy enough about region locking to give me pause before just buying one.

I live in Asia and have a North American Wii U. I want to buy a pro controller for Bayonetta 2, and the Japanese model is a good deal cheaper than the NA model over here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Magna Kaser posted:

Does anyone know if Wii U peripherals, namely the pro controller, are region locked? I've read enough varying things on the internet and know Nintendo is batshit crazy enough about region locking to give me pause before just buying one.

I live in Asia and have a North American Wii U. I want to buy a pro controller for Bayonetta 2, and the Japanese model is a good deal cheaper than the NA model over here.

Yep, Japanese Pro Controllers work fine with US Wii Us. I have 2 japanese and 1 american Pro Controller that all work just fine together.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
£180 for Wii U Basic, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Remote, and Bayonetta 1 and 2

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUHW97-wii-u-basic-console-bayonetta-2-including-bayonetta-1-2-extra

I'm still waiting for Thursday to see if there's a Smash console bundle coming for Christmas :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no way you wouldn't be better off by getting that bundle and buying Smash separately.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yep, Japanese Pro Controllers work fine with US Wii Us. I have 2 japanese and 1 american Pro Controller that all work just fine together.

Thanks! Now I just have to wait the ??? amount of time for a NA copy of Bayo 2 to make it over here.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Exioce posted:

£180 for Wii U Basic, Nintendo Land, Wii Party U, Wii Remote, and Bayonetta 1 and 2

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUHW97-wii-u-basic-console-bayonetta-2-including-bayonetta-1-2-extra

I'm still waiting for Thursday to see if there's a Smash console bundle coming for Christmas :colbert:

I just saw this bundle, it is now in the OP because it's ~wild~.

(e; I also did some reformatting to show which regions these sortsa' things are available in, if they're restricted like that.)

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 22, 2014

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Well, poo poo. Just got my used copy of mario sunshine in the mail from an amazon seller... and the drat thing gives my Wii a disc read error. Contacted the seller, hopefully I can send it back. In the meantime, I suppose my only options are gambling with either another amazon seller or craigslist.

Goddamnit.

Gamefly sent me a Skyward Sword copy that didn't work on my Wii U. Not that big of a deal, as they just send replacement but I really wanted to play it yesterday :(

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no way you wouldn't be better off by getting that bundle and buying Smash separately.

The new Smash console bundle will come with the game, controller, adaptor, several Amiibo's, AND it will be 32gb :colbert:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Looks mostly good, although there's a pretty distinct "tile" effect on the water which is bugging me a fair bit

Yeah it's bugging me too. It's weird that the water in the original gamecube version looks like it had more effort than the Wii U.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of the gamepad, how sturdy is it? I've got to hop on a long flight and i figure I can throw it in my carry on, hopefully it'll be okay. I'm moving to europe and I expect that charging the gamepad might require me to track down an EU charger, instead of just an adapter.

Congratulations on your move but unless you plan to either bring a NTSC television with you or play exclusively on your gamepad that isn't going to work they have PAL televisions there.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
HD signals no longer care about NTSC and PAL, not to mention that most European TVs support NTSC just fine.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

Congratulations on your move but unless you plan to either bring a NTSC television with you or play exclusively on your gamepad that isn't going to work they have PAL televisions there.
Did I just fall into a time portal to 2002 or something?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Frantic items. :black101:

Motherfucker I love that level. So much chaos.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

Frantic items. :black101:

Motherfucker I love that level. So much chaos.

If I could I would just set it to all triple-green-shells.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Baby Park also has the potential to be the track that redeems Mario Kart 8's battle mode. :unsmith:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Xenaero posted:

It's like $40 at Gamestops where I live.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It's a shame The Wind Waker doesn't have an Of Mice And Men gameplay function. I'd tell Tingle to look at the fairies while I plunge the master sword into his spine.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

James Woods Fan posted:

It's a shame The Wind Waker doesn't have an Of Mice And Men gameplay function. I'd tell Tingle to look at the fairies while I plunge the master sword into his spine.

Tingle rules you fucker

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

James Woods Fan posted:

Don't let the teacher catch you doodling that on the back of your notebook, you might not make it to 10th grade !!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It was just a joke. My meds purge violent thoughts, I swear!

Anyways I am enjoying Wind Waker. Gamefly mailed me my Skyward Sword replacement and it should get here by Friday. They also sent Pikmin 3 and I hope I like it. Someone compared it to W101 and I hope I enjoy it a lot more than I did that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

James Woods Fan posted:

Someone compared it to W101

It might have been literally The Devil because that is Wrong As Hell.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Tingle for Hyrule Warriors! Tingle for Smash! Tingle for Mario Kart!!! Tingle for Pikmin! Tingle for Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosie Rupeeland 2! Tingle for Monster Hunter! Tingle Amiibo! M'fuckin' Tingle :getin:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Monkey Fracas posted:

It might have been literally The Devil because that is Wrong As Hell.

That doesn't surprise me. I won't be worried, as I've seen plenty of praise for the Pikmin series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

That doesn't surprise me. I won't be worried, as I've seen plenty of praise for the Pikmin series.

They get compared a lot because they both involve large groups of tiny entities. But that's where the similarities end, the actual gameplay is not even close to each other.

• Locked thread