Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
NCR consider you a member if you get friendly enough but even then you're basically just a grunt soldier, maybe a ranger at most until after the ending (and yes unlike most open world games there is an actual ending you don't play beyond.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Dead Rising and its sequels were made much better from cheats/mods that let you stop time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

NCR consider you a member if you get friendly enough but even then you're basically just a grunt soldier, maybe a ranger at most until after the ending (and yes unlike most open world games there is an actual ending you don't play beyond.)

It's been a while since I've ever side with the NCR (they are chumps) but I don't remember it ever being that you become a member of the faction proper, like actually being enlisted and poo poo. I think some factions offer you a token membership when you culminate a major questline or hit a certain level of reputation, but that's like an honorary degree kinda thing.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I think someone already said it, but the random drops on the new Smash Bros can get pretty frustrating. For example I picked up four moves into one smash run, but then when I finished it turned out that three of them were actually the same move, three times.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokinokaro posted:

What I really want to see is more dynamic content in open world games.

Like imagine if the civil war in skyrim was dynamic. Both sides would push back and forth, taking and losing footholds across the realm.

For the sake of quest structure you'd probably have to keep it from spilling into the main cities until the plot required it, mind, but there could be smaller villages that fall under the sway of either side.

They could even tie it into the radiant quest system and have your chosen side give you missions to aid the war effort.
If you own S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, the Faction War mod is basically this and it's loving amazing. It strips out the storyline in favor of focusing entirely on the faction stuff, though.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/k7fk9i32dcc14el/The+Faction+War.7z

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

SpookyLizard posted:

It's been a while since I've ever side with the NCR (they are chumps) but I don't remember it ever being that you become a member of the faction proper, like actually being enlisted and poo poo. I think some factions offer you a token membership when you culminate a major questline or hit a certain level of reputation, but that's like an honorary degree kinda thing.

The end game quests at idolized reputation will get Colonel Moore (aka that bitch everyone hates) to salute you, and you are basically at the point where you can order soldiers from base to base on reputation alone, but you never have an official rank. One thing troopers will say when you talk to them is, "if you were serving, you'd be halfway to general by now."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

StandardVC10 posted:

The end game quests at idolized reputation will get Colonel Moore (aka that bitch everyone hates) to salute you, and you are basically at the point where you can order soldiers from base to base on reputation alone, but you never have an official rank. One thing troopers will say when you talk to them is, "if you were serving, you'd be halfway to general by now."

The inverse of this is when you're a woman working for Caesar's Legion, where everybody's like "Gee, you're so cool that even I would sure think twice about raping you into a submissive baby factory :kiddo:"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I loved New Vegas; Old World Blues, but holy poo poo did it do some annoying things.

The soundtrack is repetitive. Often times a track would end and then play again. And then they added that song that sounds like a funeral dirge, Which doesn't fit the general tone.

The dialogue is long winded, especially the 20 minute exposition dump at the beginning.

Also, gently caress the nightstalkers. Why are there so many goddamn nightstalkers?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I loved New Vegas; Old World Blues, but holy poo poo did it do some annoying things.

The soundtrack is repetitive. Often times a track would end and then play again. And then they added that song that sounds like a funeral dirge, Which doesn't fit the general tone.

The dialogue is long winded, especially the 20 minute exposition dump at the beginning.

Also, gently caress the nightstalkers. Why are there so many goddamn nightstalkers?

Old World Blues has fun characters, an interesting setting, some wild new loot, and piss-awful gameplay. Nothing ever stays dead, and everything spawns right on top of you. Because someone thought snipers were too good, apparently. Using the melee weapons that become available there helps, but doesn't fix the enemy spawning decisions.

There are some mods to add more songs to the soundtrack, at least.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I have a whole rant about how they could have designed the Big Empty if they wanted to change the gunplay in a way that wasn't so punishingly grindy, but I think I'll save it unless this line of discussion continues.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rick_Hunter posted:

The problem with a modern AssCreed game is that firearms make hidden blades obsolete. You can see this in AC3 and 4 where they go to great lengths to give you time to use a human shield when all it would take is a few snap shots from a pistol to turn your assassin rear end into fertilizer. The only time you see a handgun is at the end of AC3 and which Desmond makes quick work of with the MacGuffin by making the guard shoot himself. All Abstergo needs to do to take care of the assassins is to make their guards carry guns and not be pussies.

Really all the Templars needed to do was start putting hay over some spikes and leaving them outside tall buildings.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Edit: Re: Assassin's Creed guns

It went both ways. Toward the end of AssCreed II, you get a pistol. Even when they only give you six shots, and make it super slow, it's game-breakingly easy.

If they ever made a modern one with Desmond, they might have to actually make it about stealth.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Captain Lavender posted:

If they ever made a modern one with Desmond, they might have to actually make it about stealth.

Could be

plus parkour. Original Splinter Cell, I mean.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Could be

plus parkour. Original Splinter Cell, I mean.

A stealth-parkour combination might work if you nailed down a system where the easiest way out of an alert was to jump and climb away from guards' sight (and that was clearly conveyed to the player.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

StandardVC10 posted:

A stealth-parkour combination might work if you nailed down a system where the easiest way out of an alert was to jump and climb away from guards' sight (and that was clearly conveyed to the player.)

So, predator rooms in Arkham Asylum?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

swamp waste posted:

I don't know man. For a game world to feel rich and reward exploration, there has to be good, interesting content in places where the player might not find it. I don't see why being able to learn about stuff that wasn't obvious on GameFaqs instead of having it served to you on a silver platter is the problem, rather than the solution.

I don't want video games to give me homework.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

So, predator rooms in Arkham Asylum?

Probably. I only played five minutes of that game but they had a mechanic where you could hide from dudes on ceiling furniture and a friend said it was like playing Metal Gear Solid in a Batman costume.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tiggum posted:

They're not. Side missions are optional.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

2house2fly posted:

They're not. Side missions are optional.

Homework was optional too most of the time, didn't make it any less of a pain in the rear end. :v:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
GTA Online is a blast to play but the user generated content can get downright ridiculous. Setting yourself as "on call" for deathmatch will more often than not end with you being dropped in a usermade arena with weapons in one area that requires platforming and abuse of physics glitches to reach and whoever gets to them first gets to spend the next twenty minutes slaughtering everyone else.

Honestly, they're kind of fun if you get to be that guy who gets there first. But otherwise, not so much.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Tiggum posted:

So you just wanna do the game with like, the bare minimum of effort?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I mean I guess a game could just put every quest in the game into the quest list and tell you how to kick them all off, I've just never seen a game that does that. Even a game like Skyrim, which is infamous for letting you experience all the content and become the head of every guild no matter what character you've made, requires you to actually go to a place and talk to a person first.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpookyLizard posted:

So you just wanna do the game with like, the bare minimum of effort?
Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

2house2fly posted:

I mean I guess a game could just put every quest in the game into the quest list and tell you how to kick them all off
Or mark them on a map. That would work too.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, I want to like the new Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but like with the prequels (or...sequels, or whatever?) the wonky balance has a habit of making things pretty drat annoying. If you haven't found a good gun for a while it starts taking annoyingly long to kill even standard enemies, and with the sheer quantity that's thrown at you, mopping them up can get really tedious. By the same token, the damage that the enemies deal to the player fluctuates a lot. Sometimes you can just stand out in the open and eat shots all day long with minimal risk, sometimes all your life and shields are blasted away in half a second with little indication as to what has just killed you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tiggum posted:

Uh, pretty much, yeah. I'm playing games for entertainment. I want it to deliver the fun things to me so that I can enjoy them. :shrug:

That's what Let's Play is for.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I thought he was just breakin balls, but apparently your MO is to be bad at games.

LoonShia posted:

That's what Let's Play is for.

Also this.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Perestroika posted:

Man, I want to like the new Borderlands Pre-Sequel, but like with the prequels (or...sequels, or whatever?) the wonky balance has a habit of making things pretty drat annoying. If you haven't found a good gun for a while it starts taking annoyingly long to kill even standard enemies, and with the sheer quantity that's thrown at you, mopping them up can get really tedious. By the same token, the damage that the enemies deal to the player fluctuates a lot. Sometimes you can just stand out in the open and eat shots all day long with minimal risk, sometimes all your life and shields are blasted away in half a second with little indication as to what has just killed you.

Borderlands 2 only had this problem at the higher difficulties. It was well balanced on normal and hard or whatever they were called, but above that it got ridiculous. Lagging behind one level in guns? Well, you're useless now!

Actually most of BL2's problems appear only at the higher difficulties, like the necessity of using slag. If you have to debuff every enemy with slag before they're killable, you might as well not have the slag at all. Also some characters didn't scale at all, notably Zer0. Like sniping? Too bad, it's not a viable playstyle anymore.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I have been writing countless letters to video game devs about the inherent unfairness of exploration and discovery being a major part of modern video games but nobody seems to be listening. They keep releasing things like open worlds and dynamic content and branching storylines, and it is all I can do to huddle in the corner with a copy of a corridor shooter clutched firmly in my grasp, praying for a linear path out of this hell that man has created.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Tweet Me Balls posted:

I have been writing countless letters to video game devs about the inherent unfairness of exploration and discovery being a major part of modern video games but nobody seems to be listening. They keep releasing things like open worlds and dynamic content and branching storylines, and it is all I can do to huddle in the corner with a copy of a corridor shooter clutched firmly in my grasp, praying for a linear path out of this hell that man has created.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

I can't say I've noticed this problem in pre-sequel, the only time I've taken lots of damage is usually if a bad-rear end spawned and I didn't notice or a boss.

Also use Nisha for fast boss kills. :v:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

StandardVC10 posted:

The Saboteur pretty much did this, I think.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alteisen posted:

I can't say I've noticed this problem in pre-sequel, the only time I've taken lots of damage is usually if a bad-rear end spawned and I didn't notice or a boss.

Also use Nisha for fast boss kills. :v:

Except for the boss just outside of the vault pit that is some sort of giant troop carrier/gunship. loving thing hardly ever stops and there are so many scrub brand new quasi-badass enemies on screen constantly hammering on you that you need your Action Skill to kill them, and even that only gives you maybe a 10 second window to take potshots. Assuming that it hasn't flown away outside the arena, mind you. Which it will do. A lot. A majority of the time, even!

Ha ha! Ha! Hahaha! Ha...heh...*sob* :smithicide:

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Lotta people complain about that guy, but i thought he was fun to fight. Zarpedon was almost impossible though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Except for the boss just outside of the vault pit that is some sort of giant troop carrier/gunship. loving thing hardly ever stops and there are so many scrub brand new quasi-badass enemies on screen constantly hammering on you that you need your Action Skill to kill them, and even that only gives you maybe a 10 second window to take potshots. Assuming that it hasn't flown away outside the arena, mind you. Which it will do. A lot. A majority of the time, even!

Ha ha! Ha! Hahaha! Ha...heh...*sob* :smithicide:

Literally the only reason that I didn't find that boss worse was because I had gotten a legendary drop that homed in on enemies so I could just fire and forget at the ship. Not looking forward to it on any other characters.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr E posted:

Literally the only reason that I didn't find that boss worse was because I had gotten a legendary drop that homed in on enemies so I could just fire and forget at the ship. Not looking forward to it on any other characters.

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to beat the game because of this one particular boss. Not even Zarpedon was as big a bastard.

Also, Nisha's final skill in her "Fan the Hammer" skill tree is super weird too. If you're using a pistol you automatically get an exact copy of it in your offhand. But it doesn't fire alternatively like you would assume, that would make too much sense. Instead the game decides randomly which hand fires each click. So you could fire three times with your right, twice with your left, once with your right, and then fire your left until it empties. So there's no way to plan when you reload, which gives Nisha bonuses.

Augh! I actually was starting to like this game and now I've hit a bullshit wall!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to beat the game because of this one particular boss. Not even Zarpedon was as big a bastard.

Also, Nisha's final skill in her "Fan the Hammer" skill tree is super weird too. If you're using a pistol you automatically get an exact copy of it in your offhand. But it doesn't fire alternatively like you would assume, that would make too much sense. Instead the game decides randomly which hand fires each click. So you could fire three times with your right, twice with your left, once with your right, and then fire your left until it empties. So there's no way to plan when you reload, which gives Nisha bonuses.

Augh! I actually was starting to like this game and now I've hit a bullshit wall!

:wtc: This in a game where the previous installment had a guy built around dual wielding and it put the offhand gun onto the other trigger/mouse button like any sensible setup. Why change poo poo?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arrath posted:

:wtc: This in a game where the previous installment had a guy built around dual wielding and it put the offhand gun onto the other trigger/mouse button like any sensible setup. Why change poo poo?

Well right-click/trigger still allows you to aim, so it doesn't gimp you if you have a super accurate pistol with a scope. But I rely on high damage/accuracy revolvers so that doesn't affect me anyway.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Well right-click/trigger still allows you to aim, so it doesn't gimp you if you have a super accurate pistol with a scope. But I rely on high damage/accuracy revolvers so that doesn't affect me anyway.
Or you know like, first click fires Right gun, second fires Left and it just loving alternates.
:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Croccers posted:

Or you know like, first click fires Right gun, second fires Left and it just loving alternates.
:wtc:

This would imply you're playing a game made by competent developers.