Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Perdido posted:

Picked up Orochi 3 Ultimate last week. Loving it. Things that I like:

- They turned Survival Mode from the old games into a new kind of challenge/something grindable. I basically cruised through it to get Hundun unlocked, but it's interesting and I'm intrigued!
- YOU CAN SELL WEAPONS. I went through and sold off all the junk items from my original save and got like 800k in gems.
- The Promotion system is awesome. Getting the speed boosts for stats is loving awesome.
- The "mount" slot is great, too. As is the DW8 style of mounting. Yeah, it's on the D-Pad, but you can just hold and automount now.
- They've added some more missions to make Bond grinding easier. There's like 4 characters that don't really have missions to grind on now. For complete freaks like me who want to 100% this game, it's great.

Couple of WO3U questions,

1, Does anyone know what the hell triggers EXP fevers? Near as I can tell it's A) off an officer and B) there has to be like less than 3 mooks running around.

2, Anyone know if the Art of War item boosts the duration of EXP fevers?

I really hope that there is a comedy option skin for this that is a folding chair and I can just go around the map as Dian Wei braining people like I'm a 200 BC era Stone Cold Steve Austin.

E: Hell, he already has a wrestling alternate costume.

The EXP fever is an item you pick up from defeating an officer, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brony Hunter posted:

Hey guys, apparently Samurai Warriors 4 is available right now on the US PSN store. (Still gotta wait a few days here in Europe)

You could just buy it with a US account and also get it cheaper in dollars like I just did :getin:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am really liking the game, but I have three complaints about SW4:

1. Having anti horse force fields around anything remotely indoors is annoying.

2. No English voices kind of wears on you when there is a long dialog during battles, and the text box is kind of tiny. The Mori campaign was lousy with this. Hope you all like strategist dickwaving!

3. They should have implemented the Havok ragdoll physics. It would have made Hyper attacks glorious.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 22, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Anyone have it on Vita and know if there's any problems with it?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TARDISman posted:

Anyone have it on Vita and know if there's any problems with it?

I just purchased it but I've only played the first level of the Oda campaign. Looks great, pop in is no worse than usual, better even. No slowdown in the first stage. Looks like a great port.

Might change of course but I'm liking it so far :)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

I just purchased it but I've only played the first level of the Oda campaign. Looks great, pop in is no worse than usual, better even. No slowdown in the first stage. Looks like a great port.

Might change of course but I'm liking it so far :)

Sweet, I'm thinking of picking it up tomorrow after I finish Peace Walker and can free up about 2 gig on my Vita.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh my goodness some of the burst character designs.

Look at this motherfucker. Chen Gong has nothing on Li Jue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drakenel posted:

I think they accidentally put that guy in Hyrule Warriors instead.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Next warriors Orochi, hyrule warriors characters get involved.

You know you all want it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Wamdoodle posted:

The EXP fever is an item you pick up from defeating an officer, I believe.

Yeah, but in my experience thus far, it only seems to have a chance of dropping when you aren't being swarmed by mooks. Was curious if anyone knew more about the specific mechanics of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have given up on the PC version of DW8 ever getting over whatever controller problem it has, but when the hell is the PS4 version ever going to go on sale?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Drakenel posted:

I fully expect at least Link and Volga to show up in the Wii U version. Which will naturally make it the best version.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Samurai Warriors 4 Impressions:

- I love the combat, it's traditional Samurai Warriors slow, but strikes a balance between that and Warriors Orochi 3 esque combat.
- Hyper mode makes the SW move list even more awesome. Yes. YESSSS.
- The cutscenes where the character talk in between maps are great. There's no decisions or anything, but you get a lot of good story exposition and since I love Samurai Warriors for the characters in a lot of ways, It really enhances the game for me.
- I hate the fact that objectives are prompts now and you have some huge rear end map. It breaks the flow. Also, Samurai Warriors usually feels hectic despite the slower pace than Dynasty Warriors because you've got mission after mission to complete and you have to prioiritize, strategize, and act quick. So far, it's very relaxed and feels DW-ish. I don't like that. It doesn't have the iconic SamWar tension and I'm a few maps into Oda's.
- I'm split on the fact that there's now a clan-based story mode. On one hand it breaks up the pace, on the other, it just feels wrong for SW for me. At the very least, we have way more options than we did in DW7 and 8 in regards to what characters we want to play as, so if you want to you can play as the same character the whole mode like in the past, it seems. But on the flip side, story mode is way shorter.

The games content also feels...basic. In SamWar 2 - my favorite Musou - you had that board game thing, you had a fighter game mode, you have the roguelike-esque mode where you went from floor to floor and engaged in insane situations, on top of free and story mode. This just has a shorter story-mode, a free mode, and some Conquest mode. That's it.

I like the game so far, but it's missing a couple of things that makes Samurai Warriors the superior Warriors series for me.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 22, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How is the Chronicle mode? I am still working my way through the story mode but it looks a bit more robust than a Conquest mode (or so I hope).

Also, Nobunaga is trolling Hisahide and it is glorious :allears:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 22, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Those who hate the objectives popping up on the screen and ruining the game flow, go to options and then gameplay settings and turn that poo poo off, it's awful.

Unlucky7 posted:

How is the Chronicle mode? I am still working my way through the story mode but it looks a bit more robust than a Conquest mode (or so I hope).

All, Nobunaga is trolling Hisahide and it is glorious :allears:

Chronicle mode is fun. Really fun, despite featuring CAW. I usually don't like CAW in my Warriors games, but this is great. I'd probably say the best Warriors Quest mode they've come up that they've been experimenting with since 7's Conquest mode.

Still not liking the DW-ized difficulty. Sigh.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Himuro posted:

Those who hate the objectives popping up on the screen and ruining the game flow, go to options and then gameplay settings and turn that poo poo off, it's awful.

Chronicle mode is fun. Really fun, despite featuring CAW. I usually don't like CAW in my Warriors games, but this is great.

Still not liking the DW-ized difficulty. Sigh.

Are you playing on Hard? The Neogaf thread says that Hard is a bit more balanced for people who have played a Musou game before.

Honestly, I don't mind all that because it is my first SW game and I like steamrolling stuff. :)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'll try it on hard and report back then.

LOVE Hanbei's new design!

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I really dig SW4. It's a good illustration of the basic differences in mechanics between DW and SW; compared to DW8 everything is slightly different, the combat feels more fluid, less "gimmicky" (I seriously hated the weapon switching and affinity stuff in DW8), and with some neat additions like being able to switch characters in lieu of dragging your rear end across the map on your own. I didn't play 3, but I personally did not care for any of the extra modes in 2, so I don't really mind their absence, though I haven't tried the new one yet.

It also looks kind of... good for a Warriors game, which is super weird to say.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 22, 2014

Fricassee
Nov 29, 2004
Played SW4 a bit last night and am really enjoying it so far. I'm still adjusting myself to the triangle button combos, it feels different but it really helps characters that seemed limited in attack power turn into crowd clearers so I'm enjoying it.

Question regarding missions/partners. Is it just me or does it seem like as soon as an objective pops up, even if it's all the way across the map from where your partner is at, the parter will be there in no time at all? It kind of seemed weird to me because at starting levels the characters are pretty slow so I get a little worried about making it across the map to get the objective but then I check and my partner is already most of the way there. It's nice to be able to switch right over to the action but just kind of threw me off for a sec.

I've only played through the first three maps of Nobunaga's campaign but I'm definitely pleased with it. As someone without a wii, I've been waiting for a sequel to SW since 2, and it certainly delivers. Only other thing of note has already been mentioned is that it is a bit difficult to keep up with everything going on at times with Japanese voices and smallish text boxes, but that's probably my only minor gripe at the moment.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Drakenel posted:

Other standouts that I'll hope they'll include someday:

Yuan Shu, because DW desperately needs a useless joke character who's constantly laughed at by everyone.

Liao Hua, because he started out as a Yellow Turban rebel and ended up living 'till the fall of Shu. He's in pretty much every Shu battle and he desperately needs to be included.

Cheng Pu, because he's present at every major early Wu battle and his appearance is about 4 games overdue.

Yan Liang (pictured) and Wen Chou because Yuan Shao's faction deserves fleshing out. Yan Liang also looks chill as gently caress so there's that.

Lu Bu Lite Hua Xiong, especially if they keep involving him in the Lu Bu storyline.

Zang Ba, because Lu Bu could always use extra officers and the edgy 15-year old in me finds him strangely appealing for some reason.

I could add more but this post is getting long enough as it is. I'll just shut up and cry in a corner because you guys get to play SW4. :ohdear:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Fricassee posted:

Played SW4 a bit last night and am really enjoying it so far. I'm still adjusting myself to the triangle button combos, it feels different but it really helps characters that seemed limited in attack power turn into crowd clearers so I'm enjoying it.

Question regarding missions/partners. Is it just me or does it seem like as soon as an objective pops up, even if it's all the way across the map from where your partner is at, the parter will be there in no time at all? It kind of seemed weird to me because at starting levels the characters are pretty slow so I get a little worried about making it across the map to get the objective but then I check and my partner is already most of the way there. It's nice to be able to switch right over to the action but just kind of threw me off for a sec.

Secondary characters set to "Free" seem to start heading towards objectives the second they pop up, sometimes on horseback. Be sure yo use your horse (L2) and you'll also go much faster.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Tip for Warriors beginners: one thing I'm fond of is switching the buttons. Switch defend with call horse and special attack with map toggle. That way, defend is on the left trigger and special is on the right one. The controls feel so much better that way.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress you, UPS. Paid for overnight shipping on Amazon to ensure I got SW4 yesterday. They did NOT leave the package with the main office like instructed, like they've done fifty times before this year, and left a note stating 'we'll try delivering tomorrow.' Jerks.

Amazon's cool though. They noticed I didn't get the package yesterday and refunded my overnight fee, considering UPS could have left it with my complex managers.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I can't get over how good SW4 looks. It plays a little slower, but then you pop someone with a Mystic Frenzy Musou and everything goes bonkers for a moment. I thought Warriors Orochi was supposed to be the insane one, but the difference in speed extremes really makes it work.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Koei Tecmo has announced that Bladestorm: Nightmare will be coming to North America and Europe "early 2015". PS4 and Xbone versions will have a retail release, PS3 is digital exclusive.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Man, SW4 is so good. Admittedly, I'm only two stages in, but the hyper attacks are incredibly welcome and the AI partner is surprisingly good at prioritizing targets, if not actually fighting them.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I thought they had an announcement were going to make more PC ports? Odd that there haven't been any statements about any of these upcoming games coming to PC.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maleketh posted:

Man, SW4 is so good. Admittedly, I'm only two stages in, but the hyper attacks are incredibly welcome and the AI partner is surprisingly good at prioritizing targets, if not actually fighting them.

I really loving like it. The lack of stages in each "campaign" is a bummer though, because you don't really get much time with some characters in the story mode.

I am surprised by how robust the character creator is, too. You can make some really good looking dudes. Do you unlock all the weapons/outfits in chronicle mode?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Perdido posted:

Yeah, but in my experience thus far, it only seems to have a chance of dropping when you aren't being swarmed by mooks. Was curious if anyone knew more about the specific mechanics of it.

I've gotten EXP Fever when I was swarmed by mooks, and it's great when it happens, but most of the time yeah it drops and there's like five dudes near me and so it's mostly wasted. It's probably just random honestly, I doubt there's specific conditions to cause its appearance. I'm pretty sure it can only drop from officers that give EXP scrolls though, ones that drop weapons probably can't give it.

Drakenel posted:

Hell yes, though I expect only Volga, Lana, or Cia have a shot at appearing on non-Nintendo consoles, and maybe not even that (Nintendo probably half owns the rights to them since even though they're original characters, they were introduced in a Nintendo-owned property), but I wouldn't mind a Soul Calibur II type situation where the HW characters only appear on the Wii U version.

Some of the new missions in WO3U are hilariously pointless though. "What would have happened if Guo Huai and Ranmaru Mori weren't mind controlled at the Battle of Nagashino? Well, it would have gone exactly the same...except Guo Huai and Ranmaru Mori wouldn't have been mind controlled!" Ditto for the Zuo/Ryu/Benkei mission that looks like it's going to be a cool prequel level to the Battle of Anegawa...for the first two minutes, then you see the cutscene from the level and wooo, same level again with no differences! Except for Yukimura dying if you don't rush over to save his rear end in two minutes I guess.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

CAW and chronicle mode? Do elaborate, those who have gotten it. It may be the deciding factor for a purchase from me.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Is SW4 worth it on vita vs WO3? I honestly see myself only playing them on Vita. I played a decent amount of WO3 on PS3, enjoyed it, and would replay it. But would I be better served by just getting SW4? Is it better than WO3 or kinda a step back? I really don't wanna buy both.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Drakenel posted:

CAW and chronicle mode? Do elaborate, those who have gotten it. It may be the deciding factor for a purchase from me.

CAW officers can be used in Free Mode and Chronicle Mode. I haven't had a chance to play Chronicle Mode, but it seems to be one of those affairs where you pick and choose your battles and pick up new weapons and outfits along the way. I have built a couple custom officers, though, and the creator is pretty robust. It's not Mass Effect complex, but you can adjust most of the major aspects of your appearance, there's a bewildering array of hairstyles (something around 60 per sex, I think?), and you're given a fair number of weapon options. You can more than double the number of outfits and weapons by playing Chronicle Mode, but again, I can't comment on how it works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What are the language options for SW4 on the PS4?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

What are the language options for SW4 on the PS4?

There are no options to speak of: it's Japanese voices with English text. The lack of English voiceovers disappoints me, but it's still a great game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress, that's what I always wanted in a Samurai Warriors game. I guess it's time to save up for a Vita.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

There are no options to speak of: it's Japanese voices with English text. The lack of English voiceovers disappoints me, but it's still a great game.
Yeah, I have it on the PS3, but I had a wild thought about trying the PS4 version (and the Japanese version still costs seven bazillion yen). I don't know how they are different though, apart from more dudes on the screen I assume.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I feel like I should mention that Koei Tecmo is working on a new Samurai Warriors Chronicle game for 3DS and Vita, and as far as I can tell it's dedicated CAW/Chronicle Mode: The Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-pAIf7bZzw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrYTPMjibU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk91rrjGNlE

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Chronicle mode is awesome.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I have it on the PS3, but I had a wild thought about trying the PS4 version (and the Japanese version still costs seven bazillion yen). I don't know how they are different though, apart from more dudes on the screen I assume.

PS4 has more dudes, more/better visual effects, and better textures/models. Also, the framerate seems to be higher, but I haven't see the PS3 version in motion to compare. It definitely feels/looks smoother than DW8 on my PS3.

Some comparisons (PS3 then PS4):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

PS4 has more dudes, more/better visual effects, and better textures/models. Also, the framerate seems to be higher, but I haven't see the PS3 version in motion to compare. It definitely feels/looks smoother than DW8 on my PS3.

Some comparisons (PS3 then PS4):

Hm. Well, it should be noted that SW4 on the PS3 is a huge leap ahead of any other Musou game in graphics already. The environments actually look seriously good for once.