Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Does the tournament match with Uub count?

Technically correct, the best kind of correct. He doesn't go Super Saiyan because he doesn't want to wreck Uub's poo poo, but its still true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

In retrospect the bojack movie sort of doesn't make much sense. Did everyone besides goku forget about how Gohan can go Super Saiyan 2? How come piccolo wasn't like "Gohan do the thing again"

Goku tells Trunks that going Super Saiyan again after the fight with Frieza was difficult for awhile but he eventually got the hang of it, so it's generally assumed Vegeta and Gohan have the same problem. We just don't ever see it with Vegeta because by the time he shows up with a new form, he's already practiced it enough to do it at will, and they never show Gohan practicing the act of ascending because it goes straight from his first time (when he still has long hair) to sparring with Goku while transformed, and we assume he's already learned how.

Presumably this also applies to Super Saiyan 2 but the only example of this is Bojack Unbound.

As for why nobody told him to do the thing, I think everyone figured Bojack wasn't on the level of Cell so they wouldn't need that much power whoops he transformed and now everyone's poo poo is wrecked and Goku is the only one who CAN tell him to do the thing.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Did Gohan ever go Super Saiyan 2 after Cell?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Caros posted:

Technically correct, the best kind of correct. He doesn't go Super Saiyan because he doesn't want to wreck Uub's poo poo, but its still true.

I think he might have fought Babadi's minion who's name escapes me in his normal state for a while. I think he only went Super Saiyan when Babadi turned out the lights.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Did Gohan ever go Super Saiyan 2 after Cell?

For about 10 seconds in the tournament before all his energy got drained and probably against Buu before his poo poo got wrecked?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

I think he might have fought Babadi's minion who's name escapes me in his normal state for a while. I think he only went Super Saiyan when Babadi turned out the lights.

For about 10 seconds in the tournament before all his energy got drained and probably against Buu before his poo poo got wrecked?

I don't think he really fought him. Just kinda stood there and laughed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gohan transformed to SS2 with his fight during Dabura.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Caros posted:

The assumption was probably that Gohan 'couldn't' do the thing, because he was only able to do it in the first place because he got pissed as gently caress. That or just look at any instance of a dragonball movie where they don't immediately transform.

Thats actually something that is amusingly unique to the movies. Once Goku has Super Saiyan, I don't think he ever fights outside of it again except for filler. Likewise with Super Saiyan 2.

I think in one of the earlier episodes of GT (I never watched it all through), I believe it was... either Trunks or Goku who fight this dude, and they get smashed through some structure and are buried under the rubble. So they go Super Saiyan to get out... and then immediately drop out of it. What?!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Caros posted:

Thats actually something that is amusingly unique to the movies. Once Goku has Super Saiyan, I don't think he ever fights outside of it again except for filler. Likewise with Super Saiyan 2.

I don't think he ever fights seriously, though, no. In Battle of Gods, Beerus straight up doesn't believe that normal state Goku could beat Freeza. I guess he maybe hasn't powered up yet, but I think Super saiyan is just that much of a huge loving deal.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kild posted:

Gohan transformed to SS2 with his fight during Dabura.

I thought he couldn't do it anymore at that point.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Prison Warden posted:

I don't think he ever fights seriously, though, no. In Battle of Gods, Beerus straight up doesn't believe that normal state Goku could beat Freeza. I guess he maybe hasn't powered up yet, but I think Super saiyan is just that much of a huge loving deal.

Word of Toriyama says that Super Saiyan is a power multiplyer.... which means training with it turned off is the most effective way to get stronger.
Common consensus is that nobody got that much stronger between Cell and Buu, right? It was just Buu is basically impossibly hard to put down/Goku and Vegeta went to level 2/level 3?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

setafd posted:

I thought he couldn't do it anymore at that point.

I think given the idential hairstyles between normal/SS/SS2 in the cases of Gohan and Vegeta I kinda just give up trying to differentiate.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I think given the idential hairstyles between normal/SS/SS2 in the cases of Gohan and Vegeta I kinda just give up trying to differentiate.

Level 2 had electricity around it!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

VanSandman posted:

Word of Toriyama says that Super Saiyan is a power multiplyer.... which means training with it turned off is the most effective way to get stronger.
Common consensus is that nobody got that much stronger between Cell and Buu, right? It was just Buu is basically impossibly hard to put down/Goku and Vegeta went to level 2/level 3?

Kind of. Basically Vegeta/Goku got to somewhere around where Gohan was with Cell. Majin Buu with eyes open because he's angry now/Super Buu were a bit above that. SSJ3 Goku was somewhere in between.

You needed Gotenks to match a pure Mad Majin/Super Buu output, and Gohan going Mystic to top it AND possibly put enough energy out to "erase" him. The SSJ2s and SSJ3 Goku could make him explode, but not necessarily erase him unless it was fully planned from the start (see Vegeta exploding).

But, yeah, Toriyama doesn't really see SSJ3 as a huge jump over where Cell was. I think we just assumed it was this really huge progression as kids.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

setafd posted:

Level 2 had electricity around it!

Except when Toei forgot to animate it :)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darko posted:

I think we just assumed it was this really huge progression as kids.

I always figured the longer your Super Saiyan hair was, the more powerful the Super Saiyan you were. And Super Saiyan 3's had the LONGEST hair by a good margin.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Raxivace posted:

I always figured the longer your Super Saiyan hair was, the more powerful the Super Saiyan you were. And Super Saiyan 3's had the LONGEST hair by a good margin.

I'm sure there's quite a few kids on Deviantart that'd agree with you.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Darko posted:

But, yeah, Toriyama doesn't really see SSJ3 as a huge jump over where Cell was. I think we just assumed it was this really huge progression as kids.

I don't know how it is in the manga, but the anime also showed SSJ3 destroying the world as Goku transformed. Tho that was probably just due to his inability to properly control it (since he was fine going SSJ3 in Battle of the Gods).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Genocyber posted:

I don't know how it is in the manga, but the anime also showed SSJ3 destroying the world as Goku transformed. Tho that was probably just due to his inability to properly control it (since he was fine going SSJ3 in Battle of the Gods).

Cell powering up did pretty much the same thing. Gohan was scared that going all out when fighting Cell would just make the world blow up from collateral damage. It wasn't that huge of a deal from what I recall, just a dramatic thing.

I mean, it was "the best" at the time, but it was already established that powering up at a certain point shook the planet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The constant "we'll destroy the planet" bits feel pointless in retrospect, because Vegeta was shaking the entire planet when he powered up during his fight with Goku.

Five years later, Super Saiyans power up and the planet's fine, if a bit dented, but Trunks ascending changes the weather and Gohan might destroy the planet if he releases all his power. Except he doesn't.

Five years after that, a pair of SSJ2s have a fight that doesn't hurt the planet much, but Goku transforming to SSJ3 is seriously going to destroy the planet guys we mean it this time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

The constant "we'll destroy the planet" bits feel pointless in retrospect, because Vegeta was shaking the entire planet when he powered up during his fight with Goku.

Five years later, Super Saiyans power up and the planet's fine, if a bit dented, but Trunks ascending changes the weather and Gohan might destroy the planet if he releases all his power. Except he doesn't.

Five years after that, a pair of SSJ2s have a fight that doesn't hurt the planet much, but Goku transforming to SSJ3 is seriously going to destroy the planet guys we mean it this time.

Maybe earth is doing training between arcs? Or maybe it also gets a Zenkai every time it is nearly destroyed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Caros posted:

Maybe earth is doing training between arcs? Or maybe it also gets a Zenkai every time it is nearly destroyed.

I was considering half-jokingly suggesting this. I guess you got me?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If a planet can be a green lantern, a planet an be a z warrior

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think a. Toriyama doesn't know what the gently caress he is talking about, b. the power creep was kind of bullshit, and c. DBZ is not that great of a story even though the fights owned.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

I think a. Toriyama doesn't know what the gently caress he is talking about, b. the power creep was kind of bullshit, and c. DBZ is not that great of a story even though the fights owned.

Smdh if you don't think DBZ is the hamlet of our generation

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

I knew a lot of 12-year-olds some fifteen odd years ago who want to have words with you. Some of those words might be "Kaio-ken x20! Kamehameha!"

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Toriyama seems like he's a gag mangaka at heart so its not really all that surprising that DBZ isn't consistent.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

JoeCL posted:

Toriyama seems like he's a gag mangaka at heart so its not really all that surprising that DBZ isn't consistent.

DBZ is ridiculously consistent, considering. The logic rarely breaks, and the "rules" stay closer than normal for something that went on that long. It might actually be one of the most rule-consistent comics overall.

The anime, on the other hand...wooboy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Like Goku fighting Buutenks for a while I think.

Or the infamous Krillin hits Goku with a rock scene.

I will say though, the Mercenary Tao filler in the Cel Saga is spot-on in both Gohan's and Goku's cases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxlzGJ7tuQM

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tao's escape in that clip is the best thing.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Tao's escape in that clip is the best thing.

That's his preferred method of travel. He did that in his first appearance in Dragonball.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Which of this week's Xbox Live Gold discounted DBZ games should I get, Ultimate Tenkaichi, or Battle of Z?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

jivjov posted:

Which of this week's Xbox Live Gold discounted DBZ games should I get, Ultimate Tenkaichi, or Battle of Z?

Ultimate Tenkaichi is super lovely and boring. It's rock, paper, scissors the fighting game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Battle of Z, Ultimate Tenkaichi is bad and boring.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If the HD collection thing with Budokai 3 is on sale too, definitely grab that. B3 isn't very deep but it's stupidly fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SALT CURES HAM posted:

If the HD collection thing with Budokai 3 is on sale too, definitely grab that. B3 isn't very deep but it's stupidly fun.

Looks like the Gold Deals are just BoZ and UT. I'm sorely tempted...but I would actually have to buy a month of Gold to take advantage. I'd still be saving a bunch of money on the game, but it becomes a question of :effort:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

Ultimate Tenkaichi is super lovely and boring. It's rock, paper, scissors the fighting game.

The only thing UT has going for it is that it does allow you to make a custom dude to take through a story. Shame that the story requires you to do go through endless hoops of QTE's and the customization is a tad limited compared to the efforts you need to put into it.

Also the wrong subtitles show up, so for some reason my posh british Krillin-sized saiyan suddenly starts talking about paper tigers.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

In retrospect the bojack movie sort of doesn't make much sense. Did everyone besides goku forget about how Gohan can go Super Saiyan 2? How come piccolo wasn't like "Gohan do the thing again"

It's a movie thing. Kind of like how in movie 5 Goku didn't transform into a SSJ to beat Cooler until the very end.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Disharmony posted:

It's a movie thing. Kind of like how in movie 5 Goku didn't transform into a SSJ to beat Cooler until the very end.

Fusion Reborn kinda bucks that trend in a nice way. Goku shows up and pretty much instantly goes to SSJ3.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Fusion Reborn kinda bucks that trend in a nice way. Goku shows up and pretty much instantly goes to SSJ3.

Don't forget Gohan one-punch-exploding Freeza. They weren't really holding back in that movie.

Also Gotenks fought short-Hitler. That movie was so much dumb fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
So what's the best/cheapest way to own all of the Dragon Ball manga? Amazon has a ton of options.

There's individual volumes, 3-in-1 editions, VizBIG editions and the colored editions.

The colored ones look amazing, but only start with Raditz, and seems to stop at Cell. Also, they seem pricey.

I'm thinking of asking for these for Christmas, but I'd like the price to be reasonable.

edit: Does Viz have the whole series on their online reader or something?

Double edit: All these releases seem to be censored? That sucks.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread