Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

GW really has become a complete and utter joke. It was almost laughable a few years ago, now it's just a bit sad and pathetic. There is only so much that "they're a business, businesses exist to make money!" will excuse before you can't ignore how hilariously inept they actually are.

RIP good and fun GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Their stock has been hurting lately. It up ticks during a codex release, but it slams back down after about a week. The biggest peak over the last year was when the CEO left the company, but it's crashed down since then.

60 points away from the lowest its been in years. If it keeps trending like this it will be in fail cascade mode within about 2 years.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Business Gorillas posted:

Games Day 2013 was a giant GW store you had to buy a ticket to get into.

And the reward was buying things at MSRP!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

serious gaylord posted:

This drastically reduced the attendance for one thing, but more importantly cut down on the pool of staff they had to run the event.

This particularly stands out. How much of the usual Games Day crowd were GW's own employees, presumably taking advantage of the staff discount?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

enri posted:

There is only so much that "they're a business, businesses exist to make money!" will excuse before you can't ignore how hilariously inept they actually are.

The answer to this canard has always been, and will continue to be, "Ah yes, unlike Privateer Press, Reaper, Mantic, et cetera, who are nonprofit charities."

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loxbourne posted:

This particularly stands out. How much of the usual Games Day crowd were GW's own employees, presumably taking advantage of the staff discount?

Very little. They weren't allowed to have their discount during Games Day as they were all supposed to be working. You have to remember that this only took away maybe 80 people. They were used to selling 8 to 10 thousand tickets at the NEC and instead failed to sell 4000 for the NIA.

They failed to sell 2000 for Warhammer Fest.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Loxbourne posted:

He's saying that because the stores remained open, people were still simply going to their local GW rather than the Games Day, not that the employees of the stores were a significant part of the Games Day attendance numbers. The lack of extra workers at Games Day however had a double effect of reducing the number of events/tills/etc that could be run by GW, resulting in no open games, demos, theme table games, etc.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

JerryLee posted:

The answer to this canard has always been, and will continue to be, "Ah yes, unlike Privateer Press, Reaper, Mantic, et cetera, who are nonprofit charities."

I think the point is, Privateer/Reaper/Mantic/etc. realize that in order to make a profit, one must do business. GW seem to be forgetting how to actually do that. Which is, frankly, sad.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Last year was tremendously bad, but you have to realise that it really died the year previously to work out why.

Games Day has always made a profit, usually quite a large one from the sales that happen on the day from people buying exactly the same poo poo they could get in stores plus the mountain of cash forgeworld rake in. In 2012 they chose to try and magnify this. They turned half the arena into sales floor, and of that space most of it was reserved for general GW stuff. Forgeworld and Black Library had to share what was left. 2012 was when they launched the Horus Heresy. This lead to a huge crush as everyone rushed to buy Angron and the new book and had almost the entire population of the event tied up in this tiny tiny corner. The minimal queue management system they had in place was totally demolished and you had situations where it was so hot (from everyone being sardine'd in) that people were collapsing. People literally spent 4-5 hours in that queue.

Despite the issues they made a mountain of cash from that show and would clearly want to do it again. Nearly 60% more cash than ever taken before even accounting for price rise inflation. However this ended up being a negative due to the large amount of stores that had to close in the UK as they were one man operations, and they needed all the staff there to run the event.

So in 2013 they decided to make even more of the hall retail space. Gave Forgeworld a much bigger area, sorted out the queuing system etc. But this is where it gets to the worst thing. Because GW lost so much money with the one man stores being closed for the day, they mandated that all UK stores must remain open, and only staff from multi man stores could have a coach and attend gamesday.

This drastically reduced the attendance for one thing, but more importantly cut down on the pool of staff they had to run the event. So they made a decision, possibly the worst decision Mark Wells made. That the staff they had would man the retail section to make sure they got enough money in. This meant no participation games, no take part anything. It killed the games from gamesday. With the location move back to the dingy NIA instead of the NEC it also meant a lack of space lead to the Golden Demon entries being taken downstairs into quite possibly the worst location ever for a painting competition.

GD2013 was poorly attended. It was the first games day in my memory that did not sell out. The people that did go were expecting the same things they had the previous years yet when they got there, there was nothing to do. It was a gigantic shopping trip and that was it. Nearly everyone that went there was pissed off.

Games day was 'rebranded' as Warhammer fest, not marketed at all and spread inexplicably over two days. Even I didnt know it was on two days until a month before it happened. It was absurd and terrible and has probably killed the event for good.

:psyduck:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It is absurd what happened to Games Day. Like it should be written about, studied and taught to students about how not to do something.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That, but GW in general

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It amazes me that Forgeworld can work so well comparitively to GW. GW talks about the idea that they're a luxury item, but Forgeworld realy embraces it and does well because of it. Yes they charge extra, but you get provided with great customer support because of that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GW has great customer support, I thought? Like, it's the only good thing about GW these days.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

GW has great customer support, I thought? Like, it's the only good thing about GW these days.

I was meaning more in regards to general support of their products, handling rules updates etc, rather than just the handling complaints bit.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh yeah, they suck at that.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

serious gaylord posted:

It is absurd what happened to Games Day. Like it should be written about, studied and taught to students about how not to do something.

I know a bunch of MBAs and wish one of them were nerdy enough for me to feel comfortable discussing this topic with them, because hot drat is it fascinating and I wish I had the business expertise to analyze it (and profit therefrom).

Instead, my expertise mostly qualifies me to explain why the "Latin" that GW uses either a) is completely wrong and gibberish, or b) says something unintentionally hilarious.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
All this Warhammer Fest talk makes me a bit misty-eyed for the days of old. I went to Gamesday 2002 in Baltimore MD. It was a throng of activity, landscaped by table after table of Fantasy, 40k and all of the Fanatic games with free door swag and the occasional crowd cheer from the random drawings they did. These weren't crappy consolation prizes either. I recall one guy walking out with about a 1,500 pts worth of necrons that he won somehow.

Miniatures were set-up for people to use and fun new experimental rule-sets were also there. I remember playing a gladiator-like version of Fantasy in what looked to be a lizardmen-style Aztec Colosseum against my lady, who had no desire to get into mini gaming. She had a great time and ended up buying a paint set and a box of the Empire footmen she used in the skirmish game.

There was a positive vibe flowing through the whole place.

They even had an 8 foot tall Titan standing in the center of a 50 or so foot long table they set up with something like 40,000 pts worth (get it) of Ultramarines vs. the same amount of Necrons./ It was nothing but a sea of blue power armor vs' boltgun metal warriors and dozens of people duking it out. You could just walk up, play on either side for as long as you pleased and then walk away, letting the next guy take over your forces. After the battle ended, they would just hit the reset button and set it up for the next day. You could literally just buy a ticket and not bring a single mini of your own and still game all day long.

I'd love to see that again, but it's pretty sad that GW has fostered such a venomous resentment (rightly so), if not outright alienation in its own player base. It would probably take a LOT of goodwill to the gaming community (dropping the Chapterhouse suit would be a start) for them to be able to have another event that was that enjoyable and brought as much enthusiasm.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm not surprised at all by the new Chapterhouse stuff. They got their asses handed to them in court pretty hard and if I was at the law firm that handled that case, I'd be pulling every punch possible to make sure I don't lose such a huge client.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Dump_Stat posted:

I'd love to see that again, but it's pretty sad that GW has fostered such a venomous resentment (rightly so), if not outright alienation in its own player base. It would probably take a LOT of goodwill to the gaming community (dropping the Chapterhouse suit would be a start) for them to be able to have another event that was that enjoyable and brought as much enthusiasm.

I don't know how that's even posible without a huge mea culpa campaign. It's worked for a few companies but it's risky as hell. Domino's comes to mind as they out right said 'Our pizza sucks and we're gonna fix that' and it actually worked but I don't know if GW would or could get the leadership that could pull it off.

.I'm old enough to have started playing 40K in the tail end of 2nd Ed. but young enough (and also living in a flyover state) to never had the opportunity, time, or money to go to a GD. I'm now solidly in the '18-35 year old single professional with disposable income' demo and I would love to have a GD worth taking a week off of work to go to nowadays. I just don't see it happening.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Wouldn't most other companies (whether they were in the "jewel like objects of wonder" business or not) run such events as a way of promoting their product/industry/hobby and keeping their customer base engaged not really expecting to break even, much less turn a profit from the event itself. The idea being that such events (which are essentially massive advertisements you interact with) would lead to more sales later?

Yeah I know, its games workshop.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly, if it's run well, I have a hard time believing they'd lose money running an event like that regardless of who's running it or why. Not that what you're saying is untrue.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Well, I guess there's no getting around the fact you need trained staff to run games, and they have to be pulled from somewhere. If most shops are one-person, they have to close for the day.

Of course, the smart solution is to see that one-person shops are a pants-on-head stupid idea in the first place. Talking of which, what do those shops do when the staff-bot wants time off? Shut down for a week? Shuttle someone else in?

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

petrol blue posted:

Well, I guess there's no getting around the fact you need trained staff to run games, and they have to be pulled from somewhere. If most shops are one-person, they have to close for the day.

Of course, the smart solution is to see that one-person shops are a pants-on-head stupid idea in the first place. Talking of which, what do those shops do when the staff-bot wants time off? Shut down for a week? Shuttle someone else in?

That's exactly what they do. Before the GW in my city met it's eventual demise (As I went into detail about in this thread). The one person who ran the place would close shop several times a week during peak business hours because he also coached his kid's football team. So, if they have to take time off for reason, the store is just shut down.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:psyduck:

Really? Shops that open semi-random hours never occurred to anyone as an utterly awful idea? I'm guessing they go for a combination of overwork and weird hours... Staff burnout must be obscene.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

They also have "temps" that they train and can ship out to a specific store in the region if the guy running the store wants to go on vacation or something. But yeah, if the dude wants to break for lunch you have to drop whatever you're doing and gently caress off for half a hour.

edit: The GW where I'm at is open from 12-8 Wednesday-Saturday and 12-4 on Sunday. Good luck getting a game of anything in after work.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's also hosed when the guy finally realises what a poo poo job it is and leaves, because you have loving zero institutional memory of the customer base, area etc.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I was at Spiel in Essen on the weekend, and also noticed that there wasn't a single 40k demo table. Meanwhile, much smaller Tabletop games like Freebooters Fate, Dropzone Commander and even Wolsung had booths with gorgeous display tables and demos. So did Privateer Press (via german distributor Ulisses). Also compare Games Day and it's ilk to most Privateer Press events in America - they have Keynotes, Tournaments, Painting Competitions, Pre-Releases of models months before they hit the public. They keep their players interested and engaged.

It really feels like GW's idea of their customer base is two-fold - they don't do any advertising or anything to engage and interest old or new players, as if they just want to keep selling their stuff to people already engaged with the brand. On the other hand, 99% of their business decisions piss off their player base, so new players seems to be their prime target. With a luxury commodity like Tabletop Miniatures, you have to spend money to make money, i.e. organize official tournaments and give people the chance to check the game out before they throw money at your company. It's hilarious that a company as large as this doesn't get this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's so frustrating, really, because they used to get it. The product I got hooked on 14 years ago simply does not exist anymore.

It would make me the happiest manchild in the world if the entire Warhammer/Warhammer 40k IP were bought out by Fantasy Flight or some cool start-up, and the GW of the late 90s/early 2000s returned. Back then, it felt like there was a world of hobby games to play; now, that world feels minuscule and depressing.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's way more hobby games now dude

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Apollodorus posted:

It's so frustrating, really, because they used to get it. The product I got hooked on 14 years ago simply does not exist anymore.

A not insubstantial amount of Oldhammer talent migrated to other companies. Paul Sawyer (Fat Bloke) and Rick Priestly are with Warlord now, the Perry Twins are creating historical miniatures that raise the bar for historical miniatures, Alesio Cavatore is a consultant designer (River Horse) who's produced games for Mantic among others, Tuomas Pirinen (Mordheim) has something to do with Slant Six (video)Games. And Andy Chambers is at Blizzard.

Honestly, I think they're all better off*. Jervis Johnson is (AFAIK) the last of the old guard still at GW, and he seems content to cash big paychecks while writing the occasional Wargames Monthly editorial about games he'd rather be attached to.

(*Except maybe Tuomas :( )

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Andy Chambers is also working with Hawk Wargames to make their space combat game - so thats something to look out for. Dropzone Commander is fantastic, and I can't wait to see what they do to starship battles.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phoon posted:

Hobby games yes, GW games no. GW has gone from six or more games to two games with one or two "limited release" titles (I refuse to acknowledge the Hobbit). Luckily there are dozens of game systems that have risen to fill the gaps. Unfortunately the player base is fragmented, so now it can be tough to find games to play in your area because not everyone plays games from that one big company that is everywhere.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hobby games yes, GW games no. GW has gone from six or more games to two games with one or two "limited release" titles (I refuse to acknowledge the Hobbit). Luckily there are dozens of game systems that have risen to fill the gaps. Unfortunately the player base is fragmented, so now it can be tough to find games to play in your area because not everyone plays games from that one big company that is everywhere.

I think it's probably better that the GW philosophy isn't the only one with any real market share any more.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Phoon posted:

Oh, for sure - except Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 are the ones I have lots of mans for, and I've put time and energy into assembling and painting (some of) them. I can't justify starting a new game unless I sell (or just give away) my GW stuff, and that's just money-wise; even if I had a few hundred dollars to spend on an Infinity force, a Warmachine force, and/or a Firestorm Armada force, I just don't have the time to collect, assemble, and paint new miniatures. Not if I want to finish my PhD, anyway.

The whole reason I got into Warhammer was that I knew that, eventually, I would have a nice big collection of guys ready to go whenever I want to play, at whatever size of game my opponents want to play. But now, it seems like there aren't any opponents, the game rules are poo poo, and my minis are just sitting around doing nothing even when I do have time to play.

I know this is, like, the most first-world of #firstworldproblems, but it's just frustrating. It's not that I haven't had fun painting my dudes, but I really expected more of a payoff.

Panzeh posted:

I think it's probably better that the GW philosophy isn't the only one with any real market share any more.

Most definitely - BUT the GW philosophy of now isn't what it was in 1999. That GW would be nice to have back.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Convince people to play Kings of War, the Warhammer minis more or less slot right in.

That's if you like the game yourself anyway.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Luebbi posted:

I was at Spiel in Essen on the weekend, and also noticed that there wasn't a single 40k demo table. Meanwhile, much smaller Tabletop games like Freebooters Fate, Dropzone Commander and even Wolsung had booths with gorgeous display tables and demos. So did Privateer Press (via german distributor Ulisses). Also compare Games Day and it's ilk to most Privateer Press events in America - they have Keynotes, Tournaments, Painting Competitions, Pre-Releases of models months before they hit the public. They keep their players interested and engaged.

I've always found this aspect of GW's demise really fascinating and something i've always wanted to (but are much too lazy) to write a paper on. To fail so hard with such a dominant market position is morbidly fascinating and see the community engagement tactics their competitors have used to siphon off all but GW's stupidest fanbase are really interesting. There's a truckload to be written about how GW's failure to embrace the digital channels of community engagement have crippled their brand, especially compared to a company like Privateer who have thrown themselves at the digital sphere with ferocity.

PP tweet spoilers and teaser images through employee twitter accounts to build hype, they engage with consumers via their forums and they've even begun to try and take lessons from eSports and promote their major tournaments as proper polished twitch events. The quality isn't quite there yet on the last one, but in terms of keeping their customers engaged in the product I'd say they're probably industry leaders.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's actually somewhat like the "other guys" boom that happens whenever D&D changes editions. Except that it's been steadily increasing as GW's stranglehold gets weaker and feeble through terrible decisions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

moths posted:

It's actually somewhat like the "other guys" boom that happens whenever D&D changes editions. Except that it's been steadily increasing as GW's stranglehold gets weaker and feeble through terrible decisions.

Also, FW excepted, most of the talent seems to have leaked out, and where in the past young talent would be drafted in to replace them, grateful for the opportunity to work at GW, all of those guys are off starting their own companies on Kickstarter, or just freelancing for the other growing players.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Went past the local GW today. Would have gone in, but it was closed, black windows, posters of MURDERDEATHSKULL, and a sad-looking gargant. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Panzeh posted:

No denying that. Free online rules and strong community support (e.g. wikis), over $100+ for rules alone and virtually no community support? I'll take the former thanks.

• Locked thread