Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
I know this is a hot button issue, but this tweet and its replies are amazing. Some gamergate dude is mad because people don't like that this person hired a known rapist. The people in the comments slowly figure out the whole story, and the original tweeter keeps digging a hole deeper. :allears:

https://twitter.com/i_z_e_l_s/status/524605012245499904

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

trapped mouse posted:

I know this is a hot button issue, but this tweet and its replies are amazing. Some gamergate dude is mad because people don't like that this person hired a known rapist. The people in the comments slowly figure out the whole story, and the original tweeter keeps digging a hole deeper. :allears:

I don't Twitter. What am I supposed to be seeing? All I see are a handful of comments about Rainn Wilson (wtf?) being under attack for... something? Hiring an accused but acquitted rapist to do... something?

Or... something?

Edit: vv Yeah, I think I am missing something by not being logged into a Twitter account. I only see a dozen twenty or so comments, and I don't see any of that information in them.

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Oct 22, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Centripetal Horse posted:

I don't Twitter. What am I supposed to be seeing? All I see are a handful of comments about Rainn Wilson (wtf?) being under attack for... something? Hiring an accused but acquitted rapist to do... something?

Or... something?

If you scroll further down you can see several replies from other Twitter users, and it's eventually revealed that the person in question wasn't acquitted of rape, he pleaded guilty to felony assault and the prosecution dropped the rape charge. The original dude continued to argue that a dropped charge and a acquittal are the same thing, and anyone calling the hired person a rapist is committing libel.

Twitter conversations are hard to follow because of the nature of the reply system, but that's the basics.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Centripetal Horse posted:

Or... something?

"A handful". That twitter thread/feed/thing, at least now, is like 1000 posts long. Jesus how long is that going to go on for.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Garrand posted:

"A handful". That twitter thread/feed/thing, at least now, is like 1000 posts long. Jesus how long is that going to go on for.

It will go on until all of them are dead, or until Twitter stops being a thing.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I hate the National Report so much. It's not even satire, it's just bullshit.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah, if you're doing satire you actually have to be, I dunno, satirizing something. Anything with "Ebola" in the name right now is just clickbait bullshit in 99.9% of cases. I've noticed that a lot of websites that do """satire""" outside of the Onion just run bullshit that they know people will click on.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fun fact - more illegal immigrants have been deported under Obama than Bush. But facts shouldn't get in the way of politics.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Businesses need to jump on this and start marketing things with ebola in the name.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

trapped mouse posted:

quote:

Izel ‏@i_z_e_l_s 7h7 hours ago
@lukedfielder SJWs don't like that. If it were left up to them, we'd have to "listen and believe" any accusation. @rainnwilson @sciencemile

Whoa, actually listen to and accept any accusations as a starting point for an investigation? What's next, a jury of our peers?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

karl fungus posted:

Businesses need to jump on this and start marketing things with ebola in the name.

Already have: http://www.mediaite.com/online/here-are-some-people-making-quick-bucks-off-of-ebola/

quote:

Here’s a dick who’s making a boatload of money by selling ebola-preventing wafers: according to TMZ, entrepreneur Todd Spinelli has made over $480,000 selling “Ebola-C,” a wafer that claims to boost one’s immune system by providing 554% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C. The product hasn’t been approved by the FDA, but Spinelli claims that a doctor on his staff says it totally works. So far, Spinelli’s sold 14,000 units for $34.95 each.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Leofish posted:

Here’s a dick who’s making a boatload of money by selling ebola-preventing wafers: according to TMZ, entrepreneur Todd Spinelli has made over $480,000 selling “Ebola-C,” a wafer that claims to boost one’s immune system by providing 554% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin C. The product hasn’t been approved by the FDA, but Spinelli claims that a doctor on his staff says it totally works. So far, Spinelli’s sold 14,000 units for $34.95 each.

What the gently caress am I even doing with my life.

e: So what's the chances of getting jail time for running a scam like this? Just wanna run some cost analysis before I clean the store out of Wheat Thins.

dijon du jour has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Oct 22, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

dijon du jour posted:

e: So what's the chances of getting jail time for running a scam like this? Just wanna run some cost analysis before I clean the store out of Wheat Thins.

To answer that question, proceed to your nearest drug store and look at the shelves in the pharmacy area. That's right, drink it in. Now, go home and compress your leftover sawdust into pill shapes, then start shopping for yachts.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
There's big money in homeopathy. Market homeopathic ebola treatments made out of water.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

What the gently caress am I even doing with my life.

Just add this disclaimer at the bottom of your website: "This product has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease."

The key is making a statement that can't be quantified. You can't say, "this will prevent ebola" but you can say "this will boost your immune system" or "this will improve your overall health."

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

As expected, a guy just has to wander in and tell all us womens what it's like to women. I also have no loving clue what the hell he's talking about with the male gynecologist comment. I went a checked the previous comments, and there is absolutely nothing up there mentioning male gynecologists. Maybe he's mad his wife's healthcare wouldn't cover any area gynecologists which weren't women or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

karl fungus posted:

"Now ebola free!"

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

... I don't want to read the rest of this conversation

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

karl fungus posted:

There's big money in homeopathy. Market homeopathic ebola treatments made out of water.
Use water from the Ebola river and you'll probably be 100% in line with the actual principles of homeopathy.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

I am having an incredibly difficult time trying to figure out what this sentence is even trying to say:

'Women don't go to male OBGYNs by choice they choose too."

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HairyManling posted:

I am having an incredibly difficult time trying to figure out what this sentence is even trying to say:

'Women don't go to male OBGYNs by choice they choose too."

He's saying if female ob-GYNS were better, you'd see more ladies spreadin' the old mudflaps for the fairer docs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mince Pieface posted:

Man he's beating the gently caress outta that strawman...

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I agree that "data" is one of the worst parts of modern science. Who needs it!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So is other people replicating results. Truth doesn't exist if other people can witness it! I don't want my peers getting the same result as me in an experiment, that's brainwashing!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Use water from the Ebola river and you'll probably be 100% in line with the actual principles of homeopathy.

Way ahead of you: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/website-claims-treat-ebola-natural-remedy-article-1.1899587

quote:

Natural News raised eyebrows Monday when it posted a blog entry with a so-called homeopathic Ebola remedy.

Ken Oftedal, a Norwegian writer, blogged that his homemade fix "could save your life and that of a loved one."

The antidote contained the following:

A face mask and gloves
Two bottles (50 ml up to 500 ml glass or plastic bottles) with caps
Clean water (mineral or tap)
An Ebola sample: some spit or other disease product, such as blood, from a person infected with Ebola, or who is suspected sick with it. Any small quantity will do, even a pinhead. :wtc:
An alcoholic liquid, such as whisky, brandy, rum, etc.
Half an hour of your time

And this is the procedure:

Fill the bottle with water, leaving about 20% space at the top.
Place the Ebola sample in the water in the bottle.
Close the top of the bottle with the cap.
Hold the bottle and strike it hard against a solid surface, such as a large book, 40 times.
Pour out the contents of the bottle.
Refill the bottle with water (the fluid remaining on the inside surface of the bottle will serve as the next Ebola sample).
Repeat steps 3 to 6 a total of 30 times.

Then, drink the solution. :suicide:

Oftedal wrote that because vaccine development for Ebola could take months, "you may be left to your own devices, in which case alternative self-treatment, in particular, homeopathy, would be your only hope of survival."

However, the homeopathic remedy seems more like snake oil, as the site has taken the post down as of Monday afternoon.

At this point, I think Ebola is too mainstream to wring much more out of it. You need to get in on the ground floor of the next big scare, or work more niche infections like Enterovirus D68.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What about flouridation? Is that still a thing?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

even if vitamin C megadoses DID help prevent viral infection (and there is no evidence that they do, at best chowing down vitamin C like candy might help you recover from a cold a few hours faster), it's one of the cheapest vitamins to get hold of. You can buy a bottle of like 100 100% RDA vitamin C tablets for a couple of dollars from any pharmacy or supermarket. So it's not only snake oil, it's snake oil being sold for hundreds of times the price of the snake oil you can get in the snake oil aisle of any shop.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LoonShia posted:

What about flouridation? Is that still a thing?

Flour is pretty common, dude. It's still in tons of stuff.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Turtlicious posted:

He's saying if female ob-GYNS were better, you'd see more ladies spreadin' the old mudflaps for the fairer docs.

I thought we did, though? Women tend to see female gynaecologists, men tend to see male urologists, and people ask GPs of the same gender for advice on their respective junk. My mum's a doctor and one of her female colleagues said she had trouble getting any practice with men's issues because everyone went to doctors of the same gender. She said "if I ever see a Peyronie's plaque, I'll put it up on the wall."

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Mince Pieface posted:

I love this guy.

"Yeah it sucks and doesn't work, but it's the only option!"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Stottie Kyek posted:

I thought we did, though? Women tend to see female gynaecologists, men tend to see male urologists, and people ask GPs of the same gender for advice on their respective junk. My mum's a doctor and one of her female colleagues said she had trouble getting any practice with men's issues because everyone went to doctors of the same gender. She said "if I ever see a Peyronie's plaque, I'll put it up on the wall."

I think the FB dude's argument was literally as stupid as "Since male gynecologists exist, claiming that women have more expertise on women's reproductive issues is invalid."

My dad had a woman urologist at one point. He liked her (not in a creepy way).

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Teddybear posted:

It's a condition where they (painlessly!) seize up and go stiff, often when startled. It's best seen in a breed of goats known as fainting goats.

It's very cute but it usually comes with complications. :smith:

I used to have a horse that did this.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

So I run with a pretty hippie, progressive crowd, and this was in response to the recent events in Canada:

Red is lacking a sense of community, it seems. That last line is magical.

As of these comments, there is no confirmation the shootings in Ottawa were ISIS related. And we have bred "home-grown" non-Muslim terrorists in the past, multiple times, far, far more often than any "Muslim attack".

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

karl fungus posted:

Or nano silver, or herb oils, or even violin music :
http://factually.gizmodo.com/6-fake-ebola-cures-being-promoted-online-1642118276/+laceydonohue

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Another fault that I have, is that I'm an excellent judge of personality and character. I probably should've played more fantasy games as a kid.

Later...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Possibly Chicken posted:

Fun fact - more illegal immigrants have been deported under Obama than Bush. But facts shouldn't get in the way of politics.

Yes but to them all that means is that Obama let more in than Bush, because how can you deport them if they weren't already in the country? Makes you think.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

davebo posted:

Yes but to them all that means is that Obama let more in than Bush

Well, has he?

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

thanks obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Riot
Aug 28, 2013

Scampering for Satan!
Not an idiot at all, but this person's post has made my day.

• Locked thread