Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Uroboros posted:

I would imagine they would simply say that ISIS massacres, and much of the sectarian strife in the region is a direct result of Islam and how it is interpreted by its followers. I find it hard to believe the deaths in the Mexican Drug War come anywhere close to this.

The death toll in Mexico alone from the drug war is slightly less than the yearly global total for terrorism, Islamic and otherwise. And that's not getting into what's going on in Central America or further south.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/11/world/americas/mexico-death-toll/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/04/state-17800-plus-people-killed-globally-in-terrorist-attacks-in-2013/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

It's really awful how distrusted Al Jazzera is in America, it has the be the best actual news you're not getting from comedians.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

KomradeX posted:

It's really awful how distrusted Al Jazzera is in America, it has the be the best actual news you're not getting from comedians.

Most Americans' first encounter with Al-Jazeera was in those heady days after 9/11 when they became the network that bin Laden sent his tapes to. It was a bad first impression.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Centrists trust Fox News? Stupid centrists.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mr. mephistopheles posted:

All he is saying is that there are far more violent acts committed by Muslims in the name of religion than any other religion, and that it should be permissible to consider the religion might be to blame for that rather than dismissing it as the work of extremists.

Sure, but then five more minutes spent researching the history of the Middle East and Asia (where about half of all terrorist attacks occur) and recent events will reveal that it's a much more complex issue than just religion.

The problem isn't that Maher et. al. are bigots, it's that they're either willfully ignorant or just plain lazy.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Lycus posted:

These are the same "centrists" that believe it when Bill O'Reilly says he is an independent.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

Whatever. Centrists are just rightwingers who don't have the guts to admit it.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

1stGear posted:

Most Americans' first encounter with Al-Jazeera was in those heady days after 9/11 when they became the network that bin Laden sent his tapes to. It was a bad first impression.

Yeah that's a very good point. In college I took a class on Islam and so many of the other white people in the class thought of Al Jazeera as the Muslim Fox News. Had another guy block my posts on facebook cause I share a ton of the stories they post up explaining it to me that he just hates Al Jazzera, this is also a guy who once said Iran-Contra is just the cost of America being an empire.

Lycus posted:

This but unironically,I think I've come to hate centrists more than conservatives since they want to believe conservative policy but not own up to it.

comes along bort posted:

The problem isn't that Maher et. al. are bigots, it's that they're either willfully ignorant or just plain lazy.

Well to be fair the two are not mutually exclusive, they could be using the willful ignorance to fuel their bigotry. Dick Dorkins though is just a straight up imperialist rear end in a top hat

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

KomradeX posted:

This but unironically,I think I've come to hate centrists more than conservatives since they want to believe conservative policy but not own up to it.

They're right-wingers who love to jerk off about how open-minded and awesome they are for :airquote: listening to both sides :airquote: but in practice they're completely closed off to anything to the left of Emperor Palpatine.

I'm honestly convinced that VSPs are more detrimental to the political climate of the country than are Fox News talking heads or Rush, since whereas the latter can rant and spit out bile-laced talking points, it's the former that legitimize and normalize those talking points for people who would never listen to Rush or watch Fox News by regurgitating them and preaching about how you have to listen to both sides.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 22, 2014

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Centrists can be both Democrats and Republicans that don't want to identify as a party line voter. Though there are more conservative 'Centrists' than liberal ones at the moment.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Liberals. Stupid gullible liberals.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

People trust the WSJ?

I mean they're not Fox, if they say "A thing happened" I'd be likely to believe them, but aren't they pretty blatantly shills for the out of touch 1%?

I'd definitely put them in the grey area of "equally trust and distrust" personally as they're the kind of paper that unironically publishes articles such as "Poor people don't really know what it's like to be poor like us rich do!" or "Poor people are so mean to me!" written by real world versions of Rich E. Rich.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

comes along bort posted:

Sure, but then five more minutes spent researching the history of the Middle East and Asia (where about half of all terrorist attacks occur) and recent events will reveal that it's a much more complex issue than just religion.

This. It's an ahistorical view of a phenomenon that is hugely complicated and cannot be boiled down to :supaburn: ISLAM :supaburn:. Maher (and Harris) is either cynical or retarded.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Alkydere posted:

People trust the WSJ?

I mean they're not Fox, if they say "A thing happened" I'd be likely to believe them, but aren't they pretty blatantly shills for the out of touch 1%?

I'd definitely put them in the grey area of "equally trust and distrust" personally as they're the kind of paper that unironically publishes articles such as "Poor people don't really know what it's like to be poor like us rich do!" or "Poor people are so mean to me!" written by real world versions of Rich E. Rich.

Newscorp bought it precisely it was a well-established and trusted brand and they would have to go really far off the rails to lose that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Newscorp bought it precisely it was a well-established and trusted brand and they would have to go really far off the rails to lose that.

B-but the editorial board is still independent of Murdoch's influence, clearly they're still trustworthy! No, never mind the columns by the likes of Tom "1% Kristallnacht" Perkins or the graph which omitted GDP growth data during the Bush years to make a point about tax cuts and economic growth :downs:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Buzzfeed's legal reporting is fantastic. :smith:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Buzzfeed's legal reporting is fantastic. :smith:

Whatever happened to all the liberal doom and gloom about Ben Smith and that guy from The Blaze getting hired and supposedly turning the site's political reporting into some ungodly The Blaze/Politico hybrid?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Fox News and Limbaugh have been on the air for what, 20-30 years? You'd think if they were contributing actual balance and actual truthful journalism, as they claim to, they would have a larger, more diverse segment of trusting viewership. Hmm.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sir Tonk posted:

Religulous fit my worldview :blush:

High school will get better it's ok.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

B-but the editorial board is still independent of Murdoch's influence, clearly they're still trustworthy! No, never mind the columns by the likes of Tom "1% Kristallnacht" Perkins or the graph which omitted GDP growth data during the Bush years to make a point about tax cuts and economic growth :downs:

This is all you really need to post when it comes to the Wall Street Journal:

This was in regards to the fiscal cliff and yes, you're supposed to feel sympathetic to the single mother.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Whatever happened to all the liberal doom and gloom about Ben Smith and that guy from The Blaze getting hired and supposedly turning the site's political reporting into some ungodly The Blaze/Politico hybrid?
I don't really know. I've never heard about general news and run to Buzzfeed to learn about it. Maybe that's the source of the distrust.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

This was in regards to the fiscal cliff and yes, you're supposed to feel sympathetic to the single mother.

I'm more sympathetic to the existential despair of James Potter.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

People trust the WSJ?

They use to be really solid in the news department. After all, this was news that people were betting big money on. And it was generally useful, given that you realized they had an obvious bias of being capitalist apologists.

Since News Corp bought them, who knows.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

In 03-04, when I was turning 18, several of my cousins my age on the rural wing of the family were joining the military. I was asked by a cousin at a family gathering why I wasn't joining up to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan, and it was widely assumed that I was skipping it because of college. I said, "I'm not going to join because I think that it won't be me who benefits from it. I'm likely to get killed or dismembered, and I'll get poo poo for money, and I won't be able to get any good jobs. When I get home, all the politicians who say they support the troops will turn their backs on me, and I'll get poo poo on constantly by all the patriots who didn't fight and who never have to fight." It happens in every loving war, every loving time, because war is a loving racket. The capitalists reap the reward, the soldiers get poo poo on.

Lo and loving behold, one of my cousins is dead, two others work poo poo jobs, and one has a 40% disability. And right on time, Michael Savage, the patriot, is here to poo poo in the mouths of people he sent off to fight for his cowardly rear end.

"Your cousin died a hero's death you ungrateful little communist, and if your other cousins had been more heroic they wouldn't have any problems* today!" probably sums up the general conservative position there.

*unless you count being dead as a problem, comrade

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pook Good Mook posted:

Henry offense: actually a dog named Henry

Death by guillotine.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They all look sad as gently caress. Maybe they could use some of that money to get a jet ski or something.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

And the thing is badly rigged. Look at the Daily Shows total rating which is equally trusted/distrusted. But the break down shows the majority of Mixed and conservatives distrust it.

Though poo poo like liberals trusting the Economist, The Wall Street Journal really shows you whats wrong with Liberals

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'd like to hear more about this.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ahahaha I'd seen this before but I forgot about it; WSJ thinks the most despondent of Real Americans are scraping by with six figures.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Babylon Astronaut posted:

They all look sad as gently caress. Maybe they could use some of that money to get a jet ski or something.

Can't frown on one of those.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Centrists can be both Democrats and Republicans that don't want to identify as a party line voter. Though there are more conservative 'Centrists' than liberal ones at the moment.

Centrist Republicans are called Democrats.

Hazo posted:

Ahahaha I'd seen this before but I forgot about it; WSJ thinks the most despondent of Real Americans are scraping by with six figures.

To be fair that's who their readership is and how they feel.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Liberals. Stupid gullible liberals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

"Liberal" is the worst political affiliation.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hazo posted:

Opinion Journal, their editorial section, has always been batshit insane and basically a job placement program for Heritage Foundation-trained hacks. The News part was always walled off and used to (maybe still does, I dunno) do some real journalism. They were like the junior varsity FT.

John Fund, Paul Gigot, Peggy Noonan, etc. These are the types who write for their editorial section.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
D&D hates conservatives, centrists, liberals, Democrats, Republicans, Independents and every other political party/ideology. It's the perfect encapsulation of that quote from Homer Simpson: "Everyone is stupid except me."

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

If there's a common demoninator in D&D I think it's the golden rule, right? Giving a gently caress about people regardless of race or class.

I think people are hating on liberals who aren't really liberal.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ninjasaurus posted:

D&D hates conservatives, centrists, liberals, Democrats, Republicans, Independents and every other political party/ideology. It's the perfect encapsulation of that quote from Homer Simpson: "Everyone is stupid except me."
You planning to defend John Fund or Peggy Noonan? Because while there is a fair amount of No True Scotsman grandstanding around here, there is no one outside of AM radio, the RNC and the lever-pullin' base that doesn't find these people hilarious. Especially Noonan, who has been a caricature since the Reagan era.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ninjasaurus posted:

Or maybe it's the foundation of a third position vector where we take the two dimensional spectrum of Red<-Centrist->Blue and add some Chartreuse.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Probably because the "center" in American politics is conservative.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Centrist Republicans are called Democrats.

This.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The WSJ has gotten noticeably worse since the Murdoch takeover, yes. It used to be a reliable, if boring, news source. Now, it's not. Even about financial news, of which there is considerably less. It has become a bad copy of the NY Times.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

beatlegs posted:

Whatever. Centrists are just rightwingers who don't have the guts to admit it.

Careful! Drinky duck might hear you and then we'd get two weeks of "'moderates' are just conservatives who are too cowardly to be called conservative. "*

*Source: Mallard Fullmore, many years ago. For weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MrUnderbridge posted:

Careful! Drinky duck might hear you and then we'd get two weeks of "'moderates' are just conservatives who are too cowardly to be called conservative. "*

*Source: Mallard Fullmore, many years ago. For weeks.

Oh, no. Now it'd be "Moderates are conservatives who don't identify as conservatives" because for some reason he now has the biggest hateboner for transgender people.