Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Reformed Tomboy posted:

No, I had to alter it. The goal was to use only material I had on hand, and I ran out of fabric. The only thing I bought were the chains for the skirt (and foam and stick for the scythe).

Oh man, well, the chains are a great touch -- very clever way to rep the rest of the skirt. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
So close to being done with lazy person Rocket Raccoon, here are some shots of my pants/backpack/really cool socks!

The pants fit me kind of weirdly but I'm pretty impressed with myself for being able to actually produce contrast paneled pants that can be worn at all, honestly. I suck so hard at sewing. The backpack has a worbla plate with half of an acrylic Christmas ornament glued on with 3 LED tealights inside to make it all glowy and fancy. It apparently also needs to be ironed, based on this photo...

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I am going to attempt wet leather moulding since I get a rather expensive shoulder of leather for $50 at Tandy Leather. This is....going to be a thing....

Edit: if anyone ever says wet leather moulding is "easy" or "fun,' just go right ahead and beat the ever loving hell out of them. I can't believe they made at least 4 masks for Repo: The Genetic Opera...it does explain why each one looks so different though.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 16, 2014

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone know if there are STL files for 3D printing out the Daft Punk helmets? I remember there was a goon that was doing this and assembled the helmet completely. I just can't seem to find which cosplay goon it was. :negative:

I'm mostly interested in printing out the LED arrays rather than trying to drill out a visor piece. I've seen plenty of STL files for printing out the helmet, but nothing on putting together the LED array by printing out the scaffold.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
So I’m looking to cosplay a crazy Biblical-style six-winged multi-eyed Night Vale angel for a big outdoor festival coming up in a couple of months, and was hoping to get some advice on the build. I’m generally pretty crafty but this will be my first ambitious cosplay, so any help would be super appreciated. I don’t have access to a shop, but do own basic hand tools like a drill, staple gun and small electric saw.

I’m thinking three components: a back harness for the wings, a toga/wrap type thing to cover it, and a SHITLOAD of face/body paint.

1. Wings: material is the major concern right now. This event can get crowded, so they have to be sturdy enough to stand up to some jostling. Any suggested materials? As of right now, I’m thinking light balsa wood or something along those lines. Corrugated cardboard would be cheap but probably too fragile. Craft foam is an option. Can anyone vouch for its durability? If I went the balsa/light plywood route, could I cut it with a small electric saw?

I’m also wondering about the construction. My current plan is to cut six backing frames for the wings, then staplegun or hotglue layers of cut-out eyes and feathers on top of them. Spraypaint the whole shebang and then staplegun each wing to a wooden “spine,” which I’d then attach straps to and cover up with the toga. This does seem like a lot, though — maybe just cutting out four larger pieces for each wing and layering them on top of each other would be less of a pain in the rear end?

2. Facepaint: Recommendations on rock-solid smearproof face/body paint would be amazing. There’s also the issue of — well, I’m hoping to do something like this or this (second picture is NSFW), but I’m a white person, and painting my face up black (even jet-black and covered with eyes) seems a little… icky to me. Thoughts?

3. Toga: I went to enough college parties to be able to handle this, I think.

Also, does anyone know where I could acquire a lightbulb that will glow without being screwed into anything? This is hard to phrase — basically I’m looking for something like this that I can hold in my hand.

Thanks, goons! I will deliver pictures when the big day comes, promise.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hecuba posted:

So I’m looking to cosplay a crazy Biblical-style six-winged multi-eyed Night Vale angel for a big outdoor festival coming up in a couple of months, and was hoping to get some advice on the build. I’m generally pretty crafty but this will be my first ambitious cosplay, so any help would be super appreciated. I don’t have access to a shop, but do own basic hand tools like a drill, staple gun and small electric saw.

I’m thinking three components: a back harness for the wings, a toga/wrap type thing to cover it, and a SHITLOAD of face/body paint.

1. Wings: material is the major concern right now. This event can get crowded, so they have to be sturdy enough to stand up to some jostling. Any suggested materials? As of right now, I’m thinking light balsa wood or something along those lines. Corrugated cardboard would be cheap but probably too fragile. Craft foam is an option. Can anyone vouch for its durability? If I went the balsa/light plywood route, could I cut it with a small electric saw?

I’m also wondering about the construction. My current plan is to cut six backing frames for the wings, then staplegun or hotglue layers of cut-out eyes and feathers on top of them. Spraypaint the whole shebang and then staplegun each wing to a wooden “spine,” which I’d then attach straps to and cover up with the toga. This does seem like a lot, though — maybe just cutting out four larger pieces for each wing and layering them on top of each other would be less of a pain in the rear end?

2. Facepaint: Recommendations on rock-solid smearproof face/body paint would be amazing. There’s also the issue of — well, I’m hoping to do something like this or this (second picture is NSFW), but I’m a white person, and painting my face up black (even jet-black and covered with eyes) seems a little… icky to me. Thoughts?

3. Toga: I went to enough college parties to be able to handle this, I think.

Also, does anyone know where I could acquire a lightbulb that will glow without being screwed into anything? This is hard to phrase — basically I’m looking for something like this that I can hold in my hand.

Thanks, goons! I will deliver pictures when the big day comes, promise.

Here is a tutorial/general guide for wings that's what I would use if I were making a set: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.718871258166258.1073741833.195150380538351&type=1 I've seen a lot of cosplayers use sheets of polyurethane to make the feathers too and it looks really nice and would be soooo much cheaper than real feathers, plus more durable. I would definitely do pvc frame + feathers over the top rather than wood, especially with more than 1 set of wings to deal with!

This chick did her wings with the pvc frame/polyurethane and I think it looks very cool:

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Hecuba posted:

I think you will be fine with straight black face paint. You are obviously not doing anything culturally insensitive with being an imagined angelic creature, so I don't think it will read offensive in any way.
Plus, people do drow elves all the time and it always seems to be fine!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Been thinking about doing Tuxedo Mask for Youmacon on Halloween weekend. Is there any good etsy shops where I can find the cape and/or mask!"? Or perhaps a how to if I need to get hands on.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

gamera009 posted:

Anyone know if there are STL files for 3D printing out the Daft Punk helmets? I remember there was a goon that was doing this and assembled the helmet completely. I just can't seem to find which cosplay goon it was. :negative:

I'm mostly interested in printing out the LED arrays rather than trying to drill out a visor piece. I've seen plenty of STL files for printing out the helmet, but nothing on putting together the LED array by printing out the scaffold.

That was me!

I used these two I found on Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:338831
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:177574

And me and my girlfriend in them at Wizard World Philly earlier this year:

The Thomas helmet has been through a better revision since I printed mine, so you'll probably get better results than I did.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Kazy posted:

That was me!

I used these two I found on Thingiverse:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:338831
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:177574

And me and my girlfriend in them at Wizard World Philly earlier this year:

The Thomas helmet has been through a better revision since I printed mine, so you'll probably get better results than I did.

Awesome! :w00t:

Did you also do the iPhone arduino nonsense? I know a goon with a Bangalter helmet did it for the LED array.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Is there any place that I can find good instruction for building a 1st Gen ArcReactor from IronMan?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

South posted:

Is there any place that I can find good instruction for building a 1st Gen ArcReactor from IronMan?

I would say Instructables or the theRPF are both good places to start.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I'm SO CLOSE to being done, hopefully I can do a test run tomorrow and make sure all the pieces fit together properly.

Reference photo again because I'm sure nobody can be arsed to go back and try to figure out what the heck I'm making unless they've seen this very specific thing:

New photos!

Backpack, chair, and pilot in costume. I couldn't find a human doll that was the right size and didn't look like a baby, but I think this is just as appropriate. For such simple lines, though, she's a pain in the rear end to make clothes for. Everything is duct taped in back, but nobody should be able to see that when she's strapped in to the chair.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I downloaded a Magneto helmet on Thursday and just finished printing up the parts:

(held together with duct tape)

I normally do kinda chunky sculptural stuff in ABS, so I'm used to assembling bits with gorilla super glue or acetone.

This is my first larger costume piece in PLA though, and the walls are relatively thin (~2.20 mm). Can someone recommend a specific putty or compound that might be more suitable than my usual methods for assembly? I live in Toronto so I have quick access to Sculpture Supply, Gwartzman's, etc.

Thanks!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Mecha Neko posted:

I couldn't find a human doll that was the right size and didn't look like a baby, but I think this is just as appropriate.

Probably more than you'd want to spend, but ball-jointed dolls are probably your best bet for what you're after. Some of the cheapest are from Bobobie, but again, not sure you're into spending $200+ on a doll just for your cosplay. (Hair is customizable and not always included, same with eyes and even the painting to make the face look like an actual face.)

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Mecha Neko posted:

Reference photo again because I'm sure nobody can be arsed to go back and try to figure out what the heck I'm making unless they've seen this very specific thing:

Hold up, is that the robot cafe in shinjuku? I saw it on this dude. It's a good little channel to marathon when you're bored.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

taiyoko posted:

Probably more than you'd want to spend, but ball-jointed dolls are probably your best bet for what you're after. Some of the cheapest are from Bobobie, but again, not sure you're into spending $200+ on a doll just for your cosplay. (Hair is customizable and not always included, same with eyes and even the painting to make the face look like an actual face.)

Those dolls are exquisitely crafted, but much much nicer than I want or need. I was really hoping to get a thrift store doll for like $5, since I'm only going to wear the whole shebang this Halloween while I'm still living in Tokyo, where I might not have to constantly explain what I'm dressed up as. Kitty was a little more than that since I bought her in a department store in the US when I was there for a wedding, but at least she was on sale. She's super cute, though, I'm going to keep her around.

ScottyWired posted:

Hold up, is that the robot cafe in shinjuku? I saw it on this dude. It's a good little channel to marathon when you're bored.

That's the one! They've changed the show a lot since then, but it's only gotten crazier. (And that video doesn't even show you the dinosaurs.) Admission is more expensive now, and the food is an extra $10 if you want it. Weird for a restaurant, but it was only ever a "restaurant" anyway.

I love that show so much. You can bet your rear end I'm going to go there on Halloween and see if they'll let me take a picture next to one of the real fembots.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Would wrestling costumes be considered cosplay? I'm just about done with a Bret Hart costume for Halloween that I'm pretty pleased with! (If it helps, I might wear it to Wizard World next year, since it's already made up)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Would wrestling costumes be considered cosplay? I'm just about done with a Bret Hart costume for Halloween that I'm pretty pleased with! (If it helps, I might wear it to Wizard World next year, since it's already made up)

Post it! :D

I'm feeling super unmotivated tonight but I'm probably like an hour away from being done with my Rocket Raccoon outfit so I'm going to try and muscle through even though I just want to sit on the couch. :gonk: Stupid costumes!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Ok! I just marathoned this thread, and saw a few questions in there about sewing with spandex, and having just been through a whole lot of it, if anybody still has questions I feel semi-qualified to answer. I also wrote up a little step by step here.

I wanted to be a wrestler for Halloween, but I also wanted to not freeze my butt off, so I went with a fairly full-coverage guy who also often wears a jacket: Bret Hart. After a lot of deliberating on which of his hundreds of pink and black get up to do, I decided on his gear from Wrestlemania 13:

The picture are not so great, I had to try and extrapolate a lot of the design out of them. Anyhoo I bought a whole lot of pink, white, and black spandex, spray adhesive and tear away stabilizer and had at it. This was my first time really working with spandex. I'd made up a pair of plain bike shorts, and that's about it. So they're a little messy! But I think it comes across okay when it's all on.

Tights:

Boots:

The boots are just an old pair of lace up boots covered with a spandex 'sock.' I wish they were a little taller, but I had to work with what I had there.

Top:

Ugh that little logo is really messy--it was so small! I can only imagine it was machine embroidered in real life. I did the best I could with free-handing it on my machine. I added the mesh insets on the sides for a little more support and so I don't have my nips all out.

The inside lining. I think I put the lining/insets in pretty cleverly. The black edging on the outside holds all the layers together.

All Together:

Please excuse my gratuitous flexing, obviously just getting into character...

The leather jacket was the cheapest pleather one I could find ($20 at F21, and it honestly looks pretty good for the price) and now it's just the hunt for the right wig and sunglasses. The iconic pink mirrored band sunglasses are actually quite expensive, I wonder if anyone here has thought on making them? They're very simple, but I wouldn't know where to source the plastic. Like so:

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

quote:

This is so great! I've been wanting to do a Goldust costume for a while, maybe I'll actually go through with it this year.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

Ok! I just marathoned this thread, and saw a few questions in there about sewing with spandex, and having just been through a whole lot of it, if anybody still has questions I feel semi-qualified to answer. I also wrote up a little step by step here.

I'd really love to see this tutorial, since I decided it would be a good idea to make an entire gown out of stretchy velvet for my local fan convention this year. (I'm going as Merida from Brave.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan, I saw some really lovely photos of your Artorias cosplay linked on Reddit, but I haven't seen you posting anything here! Do you have more to show us?

I never really picked up on the scale of the sword until seeing it in action.

I'm going to share my favorite:

milkfat
May 6, 2003
Moo.

[/quote]

My thoughts are you could do what some have been doing with Doc Brown glasses lately. Cut and bend a thin piece of plastic and find a pink mirrored tint (like for cars). Might be a little bubbles and whatnot, but it would at least be a cheap option.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Terec posted:

That same rpf thread got me wanting to try it and i got friends to do a retro space theme. This was us at DragonCon. Im on the left.

Where did you get the bubble/helmet?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

PurpleButterfly posted:

I'd really love to see this tutorial, since I decided it would be a good idea to make an entire gown out of stretchy velvet for my local fan convention this year. (I'm going as Merida from Brave.)

Oh jeez I forgot to even link it:here It's really just about the applique process, not so much about sewing in general, but it might help if you're going to use applique for the gold details on the sleeves and hem. Stabilizer is your best friend.

Ugh, velvet is a whole stack of other problems too. It always sheds everywhere, and stretch velvet loves to curl up really badly. Good luck!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

Oh jeez I forgot to even link it:here It's really just about the applique process, not so much about sewing in general, but it might help if you're going to use applique for the gold details on the sleeves and hem. Stabilizer is your best friend.

Ugh, velvet is a whole stack of other problems too. It always sheds everywhere, and stretch velvet loves to curl up really badly. Good luck!

I've also followed this tutorial http://crashcult.blogspot.com/2011/01/costuming-stretch-applique-tutorial.html for some smaller projects. I'm hoping to make myself a Lumpy Space Princess Maternity bathing suit after Halloween.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Goldaline posted:

Please excuse my gratuitous flexing, obviously just getting into character...

This is rad as gently caress :frogc00l:

Halloween chat: I, having zero weaving/leatherworking/smithing/woodworking skills, went with the good ol' buy-stuff-off-the-Internet method for this year's Halloween outfit (and what will eventually become my weekend wear because I'm a giant nerd):

Not pictured is my wood-and-metal shield, draw string medieval pants, and calf-high boots. The horn is a real cattle horn that I can drink out of -- had mead tonight -- and I can blow on it for authentic pagan bloodletting rituals.

For next year I plan on getting a longer cloak and sewing learning to sew fake fur on it to give the appearance of a village leader, not a lowly warrior.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

McKilligan, I saw some really lovely photos of your Artorias cosplay linked on Reddit, but I haven't seen you posting anything here! Do you have more to show us?

I never really picked up on the scale of the sword until seeing it in action.

I'm going to share my favorite:

Ah, sorry! I just assumed that most of the people here would also be checking the PYF cosplay thread. I've got a ton of photos, but I'm still waiting for a couple photographers to e-mail me. I'll put up a link to a larger album when I get home.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Goldaline posted:

The leather jacket was the cheapest pleather one I could find ($20 at F21, and it honestly looks pretty good for the price) and now it's just the hunt for the right wig and sunglasses. The iconic pink mirrored band sunglasses are actually quite expensive, I wonder if anyone here has thought on making them? They're very simple, but I wouldn't know where to source the plastic. Like so:

There's a specific kind of goggles you see in skydiving that might work, plus add tint as milkfat said. They are a simple sheet of soft flexible plastic with a bungie cord. You could probably modify one simple enough.

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/flexvision-goggles

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Those remind me of the awful roll-up sunglasses the optometrist makes you wear after an appointment, so you don't fry your freshly dilated eyes as soon as you go outside.

Terec
Dec 14, 2001
Cybernetic Crumb

Indolent Bastard posted:

Where did you get the bubble/helmet?

Its an acrylic globe used for lights. 1000bulbs.com has lots of different sizes.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Here we go - Finally got in contact with the dude I'd been waiting on, he got some CRAZY good shots. Here's a little taste -

And Here's the gallery

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

McKilligan posted:

Here we go - Finally got in contact with the dude I'd been waiting on, he got some CRAZY good shots. Here's a little taste -

And Here's the gallery

This is incredible and if some of the costumes I want to wear looked half as good as this I'd be satisfied. This is loving immaculate. This is the stuff that inspires me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can you see outta that thing very well?

Looks amazing.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So this isn't the most ambitious costume ever but I need some help, and any advice you all have would be really appreciated.

I want to do a MGS1 Revolver Ocelot, and I figure I should be able to source most (all?) of the costume and just have to make minimal changes to get details right-something perfect for a beginner. The thing is, I'm not sure what kind of search terms I should be using, and I certainly don't mind paying a decent amount for the pieces if they'll hold up for a long while. So obviously I've been searching for dusters but his have that thing over the shoulders-I'm not terribly concerned about them being pleated (or whatever you'd call that) but is there a term I should be using to find dusters in that specific style? And how would I go about searching for that kind of shirt, with the stiff collar but a gap in it? I figured for the vest I could just find a black one and sew a red trim onto it (I should be able to handle that). The bandolier and holster were also items I was having a hard time finding-I don't really need genuine leather if there's something that looks about the same for cheaper, but all I can find is leather holsters costing ~$100, which is a bit more than I'd like to spend.

I'm in no huge rush, just trying to get a couple pieces here and there in time for DragonCon 2015, as I've always wanted to go to DragonCon but never had the opportunity. Also, I found what looks to be a decently priced Colt replica, it's completely non-firing (which I see as a plus) but the hammer mechanism works (which is cool), just wasn't sure if maybe there was somewhere else I could find a (metal) replica Colt. Also speaking of which, for DragonCon, I would need to append some sort of thing to the barrel, right? Could I just stick some bright orange tape or something to it, since I assume there's no actual opening in the barrel?

Reference pics:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Ah, sorry! I just assumed that most of the people here would also be checking the PYF cosplay thread. I've got a ton of photos, but I'm still waiting for a couple photographers to e-mail me. I'll put up a link to a larger album when I get home.

You should be sorry! :colbert:

I sure don't follow PYF Cosplay, but I guess I should! I do obviously Reddit stalk you, though.

Your costume is seriously incredible.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

You should be sorry! :colbert:

I sure don't follow PYF Cosplay, but I guess I should! I do obviously Reddit stalk you, though.

Your costume is seriously incredible.

I am sorry indeed.

Crosspost from PYF - was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

Finally got a good shot of my Starlord and Groot at a con from back in September! Am probably gonna make a little blaster for Rocket to hold next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Guzwar posted:

This is rad as gently caress :frogc00l:

Halloween chat: I, having zero weaving/leatherworking/smithing/woodworking skills, went with the good ol' buy-stuff-off-the-Internet method for this year's Halloween outfit (and what will eventually become my weekend wear because I'm a giant nerd):

Not pictured is my wood-and-metal shield, draw string medieval pants, and calf-high boots. The horn is a real cattle horn that I can drink out of -- had mead tonight -- and I can blow on it for authentic pagan bloodletting rituals.

For next year I plan on getting a longer cloak and sewing learning to sew fake fur on it to give the appearance of a village leader, not a lowly warrior.

Details, details, details. Buying premade pieces online is great if you're not very crafty, but if you've got the change to invest in a sweet Renaissance faire costume you can always make tiny improvements just by adding more details like a pewter cloak clasp (under $6), a belt frog (~$10) and costume jewelry befitting the village leader. The main downside to buying everything separately is the difficulty in color coordination. It sticks out badly when someone wears 6+ colors and none of the materials match.