Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Adnar posted:

Villa is leaving Heart in a week haha

Well that was fun while it lasted. I was quite excited to see him play in person too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Adnar posted:

I enjoy this, because I work with a whole bunch of city plastics just begging for my teabagging.

Hopefully we can play them again before Koren comes back

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

chaoslord posted:

Just chiming in here to say that this point is not true. "Strongly discouraged" from playing advantage in situations involving SFP, yes, but in this case it was a very good advantage call. Gave the team a shot from the top of the penalty area.

(That said I also thought it was a good send off, too.)

From the highlights it looked mighty soft, but I'm incredibly biased as a poo poo defender who relies on breaking knees for a living. What stands out as particularly egregious?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adnar posted:

Lol, it's so mercenary

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Adnar posted:

It was 15 seconds later and 3 passes.. What if Petkovic scored or blocked the shot?
Have to agree with this. If you're gonna send a bloke off you have to do it immediately

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shmoses posted:

Have to agree with this. If you're gonna send a bloke off you have to do it immediately

The bloke earlier in the thread made mention of this and I'm not sure understand - surely if an offence is worth a straight red its also worth stopping play over.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Adnar posted:

It was 15 seconds later and 3 passes.. What if Petkovic scored or blocked the shot?

It was only like 7 seconds but yeah, that's the nightmare scenario. What you just described is exactly why referees are strongly discouraged from applying advantage on situations involving SFP or VC . It was a big decision that could have blown up in his face but ended with a shot on goal from a good position relatively quickly after the foul occurred so I'd say it was a good use of advantage in a high level sense. That said, I can think of at least two USSF National Assessors who would have dinged the ref if they were assessing the match on the principle of "Don't do it. You got lucky this time."

Tongues posted:

From the highlights it looked mighty soft, but I'm incredibly biased as a poo poo defender who relies on breaking knees for a living. What stands out as particularly egregious?

Caught him around the knee, appears studs showing. Granted, the replay angles that I've seen are terrible. The feed of play when it happens looks about the best one since I think you can actually see where contact was made by looking through legs (imgur blocked at work or I'd share). The only other angle I saw was right through the back of the Petkovic and I didn't see much there. Williams makes the universal "Studs showing" gesture after showing the card so I imagine that's what he saw as well.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

chaoslord posted:

It was only like 7 seconds but yeah, that's the nightmare scenario. What you just described is exactly why referees are strongly discouraged from applying advantage on situations involving SFP or VC . It was a big decision that could have blown up in his face but ended with a shot on goal from a good position relatively quickly after the foul occurred so I'd say it was a good use of advantage in a high level sense. That said, I can think of at least two USSF National Assessors who would have dinged the ref if they were assessing the match on the principle of "Don't do it. You got lucky this time."

Caught him around the knee, appears studs showing. Granted, the replay angles that I've seen are terrible. The feed of play when it happens looks about the best one since I think you can actually see where contact was made by looking through legs (imgur blocked at work or I'd share). The only other angle I saw was right through the back of the Petkovic and I didn't see much there. Williams makes the universal "Studs showing" gesture after showing the card so I imagine that's what he saw as well.

Fair enough, I'm willing to admit a large amount of bias here - I've never refers a serious match or had poo poo go horribly against me and make me all paranoid about it. Have had a drunk ref though, and another who ignored an assault on the field during gameplay through crowd intimidation

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
To avoid to much of a derail, I will admit that I know gently caress all the actual rules of the sport

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

And I mean, yall might be right about it not being red. Just from the really bad replays, I see something that apparently the ref also saw (however I have only seen Williams work a handful of times so this might be a huge mistake on my part as well, haha)

Largely my point was "You actually can play advantage on a send off." I personally think it was a great decision because of how it worked out. BUT, y'all aren't wrong, really, in thinking that he probably shouldn't have bothered because of the worst case possibility. In 99% of cases where you are going to be going red there isn't a reason to let play continue. This (might) have been an exception.

(One example, at the local hispanic league a few weeks ago we had a young, up and comer try to play advantage on one of the nastiest tackles I've seen in this league. Players thought he wasn't going to do anything about the foul and a brawl broke out.)

While I'm here, I'll say that I enjoy lurking this thread. Fun stuff to read. I don't always get to see much A-League but I enjoy the OP a lot and just trying to picture what everyone is reacting to hours later gives me a good laugh.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

chaoslord posted:

And I mean, yall might be right about it not being red. Just from the really bad replays, I see something that apparently the ref also saw (however I have only seen Williams work a handful of times so this might be a huge mistake on my part as well, haha)

Largely my point was "You actually can play advantage on a send off." I personally think it was a great decision because of how it worked out. BUT, y'all aren't wrong, really, in thinking that he probably shouldn't have bothered because of the worst case possibility. In 99% of cases where you are going to be going red there isn't a reason to let play continue. This (might) have been an exception.

(One example, at the local hispanic league a few weeks ago we had a young, up and comer try to play advantage on one of the nastiest tackles I've seen in this league. Players thought he wasn't going to do anything about the foul and a brawl broke out.)

While I'm here, I'll say that I enjoy lurking this thread. Fun stuff to read. I don't always get to see much A-League but I enjoy the OP a lot and just trying to picture what everyone is reacting to hours later gives me a good laugh.

Hey, cheers :) Feel free to stick around, and I'm glad you're enjoying it. This thread is my go to if I miss a match, I can usually tell there's been a good one when there's 50 new posts, all some variation of FUUCkaaarrgghh.

Regarding the red card, I think some of us (Sydney coach Graham Arnold included) are reacting so negatively due to the greater context that is a Ben Williams officiated match. Old mate has something like 9 red cards per last 10 matches or some poo poo.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really great article in todays Graun about South Melbourne and Middle Park

http://tinyurl.com/qjs6n3h

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

chaoslord posted:

Both players were going for the bouncing ball, I don't think you can put normal tackle constraints on it (stud showing, high contact) he didn't go through him or over the ball say

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
Carn Brisbane.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Corner? I'll take that

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
What was Young thinking there?

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ibini, hit it harder!!!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo janko

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Loooooool

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Brisbane's defence is gash

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it is, was speculative at best but utter incompetence by roar

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Janjetovic is a clown

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Bernie ibini has killed every move he's been involved in

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's shocking, he was crap last week and exactly the same now

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Physio using some of the brylcreem from stefanuttos hair to seal his face wound

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha, he's no terry butcher that's for sure!!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
stop pasing it to the opposition all the loving time, it's not that hard!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i can't wait for half time, get some orange segments to chew on and a manager shouting, yumm

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sitting in the home end has given me a great view of exactly how poo poo young is. He kept sending of short goal kicks to players under pressure then when he got a real scare he fired one 'long'which barely made it out of the box and beat him back to the line. Fire him into the sun

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

we look brilliant :smug:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Adnar posted:

we look brilliant :smug:

Anybody would look brilliant against this shower

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

http://gfycat.com/LankySlowGossamerwingedbutterfly