Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I remember hearing somewhere that the studio handed out pamphlets before the early screenings that explained the setting and the background of Dune because they were so worried that people would get confused by it all, which is even worse than a prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I remember hearing somewhere that the studio handed out pamphlets before the early screenings that explained the setting and the background of Dune because they were so worried that people would get confused by it all, which is even worse than a prologue.

Or how about the ending of the movie that goes against some very important parts about the mythology of Dune?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

At least Star Wars' pamphlet was in the movie.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

My local theater handed out a glossary of terms used in the movie. Unfortunately, it was a b&w copy of a color original and it was hard enough to read in the light much less a dark theater.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Not the same thing, but Touch of Evil is infinitely better with the opening scene without the credits and music score.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mister Kingdom posted:

My local theater handed out a glossary of terms used in the movie. Unfortunately, it was a b&w copy of a color original and it was hard enough to read in the light much less a dark theater.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure I was given something similar to that when I saw waynes world in the cinema.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Doom movie originally took place on a planet called Olduvai instead of Mars like in the games, but after backlash from the fans of the games they added opening narration whose only purpose was to pacify them by explaining that Olduvai was just the name of the research facility and the planet was Mars. Even though nobody actually calls it Mars outside of that opening narration and it has zero actual effect on the movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Or how about the ending of the movie that goes against some very important parts about the mythology of Dune?

Eh, that's a "they changed things from the book" problem, not an actual cinematic problem.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Despite being a mess of a movie, I absolutely love Dune. Really nailed the atmosphere and the performances are top-notch.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And what a pug!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, that's a "they changed things from the book" problem, not an actual cinematic problem.

Then all the whispering that was done to explain character motivations. It was all telling not showing. That movie had so many problems, yet I will still watch it since its in interesting experiment in adaptations and its Lynch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Then all the whispering that was done to explain character motivations. It was all telling not showing. That movie had so many problems, yet I will still watch it since its in interesting experiment in adaptations and its Lynch.

Lynch and Giger.

Awful app almost had me saying 'lunch and guger.'

Probably should have gone with that.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

So I've been rewatching the Alien series and I watched Alien3 (Directors cut) last night.

Is there a book or something that goes over everything that was hosed with and what Fincher wanted that he wasn't able to get?

Also, what was with Bishop II? He's a robot, right? I mean, he has red blood, but his hosed up ear leads me to believe he was just a robot they sent to try to convince Ripley to give up her alien baby.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

"He knows the weirding way. Could he be the one? .......why am I whispering in my own head?"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

So I've been rewatching the Alien series and I watched Alien3 (Directors cut) last night.

Is there a book or something that goes over everything that was hosed with and what Fincher wanted that he wasn't able to get?

Also, what was with Bishop II? He's a robot, right? I mean, he has red blood, but his hosed up ear leads me to believe he was just a robot they sent to try to convince Ripley to give up her alien baby.

The documentary about the movie is pretty good, and goes into detail. It's not a Director's Cut though, it's a cut assembled from the workprint. The idea was to make it closer to what Fincher wanted, but I believe he's said that even that is a fallacy because so much changed from start to finish that it still doesn't really resemble what he had in mind.

He doesn't have a lot more to say on the subject except that it taught him to take the risks he wanted because whatever happens, as a Director you're always going to be the person who gets the blame. I don't think he's ever actually seen the movie.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not quite sure where to ask this, but this seemed like the thread to try. Can public domain films be rebroadcast legally on something like public access tv or a PEG tv station?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Annoying Reveler posted:

I'm not quite sure where to ask this, but this seemed like the thread to try. Can public domain films be rebroadcast legally on something like public access tv or a PEG tv station?

Depends if they are public domain in the true sense (out of copyright) or licensed for free public use, in which case the license might prohibit certain uses like broadcast.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Annoying Reveler posted:

Some you can, but you gotta check the copyright on them and verify the rights with the station. There's a public access show in my area that airs nothing but old edutainment shorts from the 40s and 50s.

Annoying Reveler
Jul 16, 2002
Ahhhh, thanks! Our PEG station wants to run Night of the Living Dead on Halloween, but I haven't been able to find any clear guidelines that say if we can or can't.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Biff Rockgroin posted:

This was a subject of intense debate in an Alien/Prometheus/whatever-it-was thread around here. I felt like the majority argued that his story was legit. I thought the whole idea of the creator looking exactly like the android was always a bit hokey and still prefer to think he's just a fancier synthetic with food coloring in his fluids, or, at most, some lackey they quickly did a massive plastic surgery job on.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Even though nobody actually calls it Mars outside of that opening narration and it has zero actual effect on the movie.

In fairness, does being on Mars have any actual effect on the game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

In fairness, does being on Mars have any actual effect on the game?

So what your saying is that a Space Invaders movie could take place under water instead of in space because being in space has no effect on the game?

edit: Just remembered that neither Tomb Raider movie had anything to do with tombs...

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Snak posted:

So what your saying is that a Space Invaders movie could take place under water instead of in space because being in space has no effect on the game?

edit: Just remembered that neither Tomb Raider movie had anything to do with tombs...

Space Invaders takes place in space? I assumed that because there were bases you could hide under and that since it was 2D, it was taking place on the surface on a planet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey I posted a few months / a year back in this thread about some movies I've watched. I started to deconstruct books and thinking about media more critically, and I'd like to give them a second chance. Especially Aliens, because I recently found out I watched a completely different movie apparently.

What are the good versions of the Alien films, and which ones of them are worth watching?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
How did you accidentally watch a completely different movie

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hat Thoughts posted:

How did you accidentally watch a completely different movie

I was 12.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Turtlicious posted:

Hey I posted a few months / a year back in this thread about some movies I've watched. I started to deconstruct books and thinking about media more critically, and I'd like to give them a second chance. Especially Aliens, because I recently found out I watched a completely different movie apparently.

What are the good versions of the Alien films, and which ones of them are worth watching?

Alien : Just watch theatrical
Aliens: Just watch theatrical
Alien 3: Don't watch
Alien 4: Don't watch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Turtlicious posted:

For Alien and Aliens, watch the theatrical cuts. Don't watch any version of Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection, because they aren't very good (Alien 3 is okay, but the first 2 are some of the best movies ever made, so it really pales in comparison).

Prometheus is dope as hell too.

e:f;b

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Am I wrong for liking the directors cut of Aliens? I liked how it showed Ripley's loss of her daughter and taking Newt on as a surrogate.

edit: I liked the 4th one too, not because of the story, but because the casting was awesome.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 22, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

What movie did you watch instead?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SkunkDuster posted:

Am I wrong for liking the directors cut of Aliens? I liked how it showed Ripley's loss of her daughter and taking Newt on as a surrogate.

It's worth watching on a second view, but it does mess with the pacing on a first watch.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hat Thoughts posted:

What movie did you watch instead?

An episode of Veggie Tales I think.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

SkunkDuster posted:

edit: I liked the 4th one too, not because of the story, but because the casting was awesome.

I had my wife watch the extended cut of Aliens as her first viewing of the film. In retrospect, I think this was a mistake. Most of the added scenes take place early on and it really takes some dedication to sit through the extra setup to get to what many think of as the meat of the story.

The extended cut is a good addition if you are already a fan of Aliens but the theatrical cut works out a bit smoother.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

An episode of Veggie Tales I think.

I am so glad I followed this line of questioning

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SkunkDuster posted:

The casting was great for Alien 4, the problem was the dialogue, story, plot and basic blocking.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but that's why I really disliked the directors cut. In the cinematic cut, Ripley and the Marines going after and taking care of Newt was the human thing to do, contrasted with the corporate thing to do personified by Burke. Ripley didn't need the motivation of a dead child. It was patronising and cheap.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I am so glad I followed this line of questioning

It definitely made my morning.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing
Here's a question that's been bugging me ever since I saw Star Trek Into Darkness:

What's the correct pronunciation of Orci?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

I'm not going to say that you're wrong, but that's why I really disliked the directors cut. In the cinematic cut, Ripley and the Marines going after and taking care of Newt was the human thing to do, contrasted with the corporate thing to do personified by Burke. Ripley didn't need the motivation of a dead child. It was patronising and cheap.

I also saw it as showing how disconnected she is with society in general. That she has lost not only her job, but also connection with people in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I also saw it as showing how disconnected she is with society in general. That she has lost not only her job, but also connection with people in general.

It also makes the showdown with the queen more explicitly between two mothers.