Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

A big thing to consider is that in general, mana efficiency > card advantage > life.

There are few things in Magic more mana efficient than a free counterspell.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's why I asked. Force of Will is the best counterspell ever printed. It is so good that it controls your opponent even if you don't have it in your hand, even the risk of it being there is enough to trip up an opponent. They can never assume that you aren't going to counter, even if they have no mana open. 1 life is nothing, having your winning spell countered is the game.

That's true, I suppose I never thought about it like that when I read the card. This is kind of daunting though, because that's the sort of thing that would catch me completely by surprise.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want to point out that this isn't supposed to be dog pile on the new guy, evaluating life costs is the quintessential newbie mistake. It took reanimate to get it to click with a friend when I pointed out that you would pay 15 life and one black for an Emrakul all day every day.

Isn't it impossible to cast Emrakul with Reanimate? Since he gets shuffled back to the library instead of going to the graveyard.

mango sentinel posted:

That's generally what people are talking about when referencing "durdling." Blue decks that do nothing but cast dumb cantrips and remove your stuff until they can cast a big spell. We recently came out a format dominated by a stupid blue/white do nothing deck dominated by these cards: Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict. The win condition was having this card in their deck effectively ensuring they can durdle until the end of time forcing the opponent to concede. I feel like you would love that deck.

That deck sounds amazing! That's just how I used to play back in the day, with bounces and counterspells and walls and just never losing life. It didn't always work (sometimes I would draw poorly and couldn't get any early defenders out against an aggro deck), but it was always fun when it did.

mango sentinel posted:

It's expensive because the alternate cost is so good and that's the mode they want players to use. They don't want it to have the alternate cost AND be Counterspell. It's already the best counter, but that would even more crazy.

Oh, so they intended for the proper casting cost to be the optional one and have the actual casting cost be the suboptimal one. Okay, that makes sense.

Olothreutes posted:

It isn't even just about one mana drops. Cards like simian/elvish spirit guide, lotus petal, dark ritual, grim monolith, lions eye diamond, et al. allow your opponent to potentially make 5-6 mana or more on their first turn. There is a goon favorite combo deck called breakfast burrito that relies entirely on being able to make 4+ mana on turn one (with zero lands in the deck) and then killing your opponent immediately. Unless they can counter you, which essentially requires force of will in their hand. It's a gamble to play the deck, you essentially are playing force of will roulette, if they have it you lose, otherwise they lose.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

xeose4 posted:

Isn't impossible to cast Emrakul with Reanimate? Since he gets shuffled back to the library instead of going to the graveyard.
Goryo's Vengeance or Necromancy can bring back Emra instant speed.

Now I'm curious, what do you think of the Goyf?

vvv: Yep, because if those were legal I think the old affinity deck with Disciple of the Vaults would come back, although I didn't play during that era so I'm speculating.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Why did they ban the ancient den/seat of the synod cycle in modern? Was it artifact shenanigans?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Actually Mana Drain fights it pretty loving hard for that position.

Dunno if there's a clear winner but one is banned in Legacy.
I was gonna say that in both a vacuum and in the context of current Legacy FoW was better than Mana Drain, but then I remembered Treasure Cruise is now a thing. I still think FoW is generally a better card since countering stuff when tapped out is so good. Mana Drain is real good though.

kizudarake posted:

Why did they ban the ancient den/seat of the synod cycle in modern? Was it artifact shenanigans?
Affinity is bullshit with artifact lands.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I may have played the same WUR delver guy, I eventually lost that in game 3 when he cruised twice and ate me up with card advantage. I'm trying out modern's version of Death and Taxes right now, it's actually a really fun deck. Won most matches tonight, lost against a few delver players and the junk player. I'm seriously considering making major changes to my sideboard for this wave of delver decks, but what would be good? I'm already using 2 RiP in the side, and I boarded in 2 ghostly prison's to fair success earlier.

I'm playing this pile.

I've gone up from 2 to 3 RiP and not regretted it for a second. It's nice because once they see what I'm doing, they usually Bolt my turn 1 creature and let me resolve RiP. I also added a Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist to my side, which I'll probably end up taking out because I've seen the Spirit exactly 0 times and the Canonist just got bounced by Solitaire before it went off. Plus I added 2x Electrickery. For value.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

kizudarake posted:

Affinity is a tier 1 deck without them, it'd be slightly more bonkers if they were legal.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

neetengie posted:

Goryo's Vengeance or Necromancy can bring back Emra instant speed.

Now I'm curious, what do you think of the Goyf?

That it's probably really good when you use those "kill all creatures" spells? I mean, there are tons of ways to bring that creature back, or to make it immune to the spell you're casting. It probably works very well in a B/G deck with a lot of different creature types that are meant to be sacrificial fodder for that one, and then some regenerate/immunity spells to protect it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that Legacy would be unplayable if you banned Force of Will, it probably would be along with Mana Drain. That says more about the ludicrous power level of Legacy than it does either of those spells, but you know...

xeose4 posted:

That it's probably really good when you use those "kill all creatures" spells? I mean, there are tons of ways to bring that creature back, or to make it immune to the spell you're casting. It probably works very well in a B/G deck with a lot of different creature types that are meant to be sacrificial fodder for that one, and then some regenerate/immunity spells to protect it.

Not creature types, card types. Check the reminder text on the card.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

xeose4 posted:

That it's probably really good when you use those "kill all creatures" spells? I mean, there are tons of ways to bring that creature back, or to make it immune to the spell you're casting. It probably works very well in a B/G deck with a lot of different creature types that are meant to be sacrificial fodder for that one, and them some regenerate/immunity spells to protect it.

It counts card types, not creature types. (The card types are artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, planeswalker, sorcery, and tribal.) Otherwise it would be completely broken, especially with Changelings.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

xeose4 posted:

Card types are creature, enchantment, land, artifact, planeswalker, sorcery, instant, tribal (this is a weird one which is almost never relevant.) Not creature types. So if all 8 of those card types are in graveyards, Tarmogoyf can be an 8/9 for 1G.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

xeose4 posted:

No that's Mortivore or Lhurgoyf, in Modern when I crack a fetchland to grab an Overgrown tomb he becomes a 1/2, then when I Thoughtseize a card out of my opponents hand that isn't a sorcery, he becomes a 3/4. He gets big stupidly quick, and is a really effecient creature for 1G, and is usually a 4/5-6/7 in some games.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be honest if it wasn't for the fact that Legacy would be unplayable if you banned Force of Will, it probably would be along with Mana Drain. That says more about the ludicrous power level of Legacy than it does either of those spells, but you know...

Nope. Mana Drain has a much more deleterious effect on a format than FoW does, as it serves to enable busted plays far more than it serves to stop them. Its banning in Legacy is also largely related to availability and price concerns that existed at the inception of the format- there are a LOT more copies of Force of Will in existence than there are Mana Drain, and legalizing Mana Drain would have had reallybad consequences for the viability of Legacy as the affordable and accessible Eternal format where you could play your old Extended decks (which is what it was positioned as when 1.5 separated its banned list from Vintage's and became its own thing). Legacy is stupid expensive now, but for most of the 2000's it was a more affordable format to play than Standard once you factored the several hundred dollars of staples you needed as initial buy in over a year or two.

LGD fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Also, that was the mana cost of the rest of the cycle except pyrokinesis which was one more to make it fair. I don't think they really thought the pitch spells through.

Consider how bad the white and green ones are. They really didn't.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I'm playing this pile.

I've gone up from 2 to 3 RiP and not regretted it for a second. It's nice because once they see what I'm doing, they usually Bolt my turn 1 creature and let me resolve RiP. I also added a Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist to my side, which I'll probably end up taking out because I've seen the Spirit exactly 0 times and the Canonist just got bounced by Solitaire before it went off. Plus I added 2x Electrickery. For value.

I like this deck a lot and I'm glad you're having success. A local friend has been playing a similar list and it's fun to see. I was running this tonight: https://deckbox.org/sets/816462

Just built it today. Relatively happy with the board as most all of it saw use tonight. Just not a lot I think I can do about pyrodelvers that get 2 pyromancers down early.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

Card types are creature, enchantment, land, artifact, planeswalker, sorcery, instant, tribal (this is a weird one which is almost never relevant.) Not creature types. So if all 8 of those card types are in graveyards, Tarmogoyf can be an 8/9 for 1G.

I completely misread the card, I could have sworn it said creature type instead of card type. So basically it gets stronger no matter what? Wow that is really strong.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

xeose4 posted:

I completely misread the card, I could have sworn it said creature type instead of card type. So basically it gets stronger no matter what? Wow that is really strong.
Yep, that's why it's also really expensive. You can throw Goyf in any deck and it'll always be a boon.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

LGD posted:

Nope. Mana Drain has a much more deleterious effect on a format than FoW does, as it serves to enable busted plays far more than it serves to stop them. Its banning in Legacy is also largely related to availability and price concerns that existed at the inception of the format- there are a LOT more copies of Force of Will in existence than there are Mana Drain, and legalizing Mana Drain would have had reallybad consequences for the viability of Legacy as the affordable and accessible Eternal format where you could play your old Extended decks (which is what it was positioned as when 1.5 separated its banned list from Vintage's and became its own thing). Legacy is stupid expensive now, but for most of the 2000's it was a more affordable format to play than Standard once you factored the several hundred dollars of staples you needed as initial buy in over a year or two.

I'll take your word for it. For what it's worth I think Mana Drain is a far more powerful effect, it's just that Force of Will being playable for zero mana seems to be the only reason Legacy/Vintage aren't completely degenerate.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Bugsy posted:

The green one was actually fairly legit in stompy decks for a long time, though obviously by this era it's been power creeped out of contention.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Whole lot of people ITT don't know Mana Drain isn't that important in Vintage anymore.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

Whole lot of people ITT don't know Mana Drain isn't that important in Vintage anymore.

Literally no one has been talking about Drain's current place in Vintage.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bugsy posted:

The green one had a home in old school stompy decks (Rogue Elephant, etc).
Aaand we're beaten.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Anyway, who cares about that crap? They're finally fixing Mindslaver!

Specifically,
•Fixed: Mindslaver now allows floating mana to pay for spells and abilities when controlling a player. You must use the mana symbols in the left-center prompt box to make these payments.
And I hope this also applies to it:
•Fixed: Issue that prevented triggered abilities from appearing in some situations.

YES!

I can now finally play Blue Tron in Modern dailies and not get mad because I:

1) Have lock ready.
2) Can't do lock because my opponent has Aether Vial or some other automatic trigger.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Decks that win late are still trying to win as fast as they can. They are just focused on negating early game threats. You better believe they don't want the game to go any longer than it has to.

Sure, and it's so good that it is worth paying life to do.

That's why I asked. Force of Will is the best counterspell ever printed. It is so good that it controls your opponent even if you don't have it in your hand, even the risk of it being there is enough to trip up an opponent. They can never assume that you aren't going to counter, even if they have no mana open. 1 life is nothing, having your winning spell countered is the game.

I want to point out that this isn't supposed to be dog pile on the new guy, evaluating life costs is the quintessential newbie mistake. It took reanimate to get it to click with a friend when I pointed out that you would pay 15 life and one black for an Emrakul all day every day.

Actually mana drain is the best counterspell ever printed, but force of will is still very good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

YES!

I can now finally play Blue Tron in Modern dailies and not get mad because I:

1) Have lock ready.
2) Can't do lock because my opponent has Aether Vial or some other automatic trigger.

Seems like you could grind out a lot of value just running a deck that wizards has made not work and then filing for reiumbursement every time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Seems like you could grind out a lot of value just running a deck that wizards has made not work and then filing for reiumbursement every time.

Yeah see I'm not a scumbag so :shrug:
I also discovered this was A Thing when I was bullshitting around in the lobby and this didn't happen in a daily or anything.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 22, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

xeose4 posted:

That deck sounds amazing! That's just how I used to play back in the day, with bounces and counterspells and walls and just never losing life. It didn't always work (sometimes I would draw poorly and couldn't get any early defenders out against an aggro deck), but it was always fun when it did.

It sounds like you would've loved the old Turbo Stasis decks that were running around during Black Summer of '96, an example of which is found here. I used to play a mono-blue version of Stasis in Old Extended that would take advantage of cards that utilized my resources in alternative ways, such as Daze, Thwart, and Force of Will for "free" counterspells, Gush for card drawing and keeping my Stasis up, and Chronatog once I have the board completely locked down and my hand is full of countermagic. It was the durdliest deck, and it didn't do too well in Old Extended, but it was fun. You may also notice that the deck listed doesn't have creatures in it, and the only creature I ever played in my version, Chronatog, is not burly enough to block most threats. Since Stasis prevents creatures from untapping, and the opponent is usually restricted to playing one spell every couple of turns (defended against by "free" counterspells), you can consider life total on my side as a resource. I'd only play countermagic or bounce spells if they would threaten my board control or cause me to lose right then and there, but otherwise I didn't care about how much damage I took early game.

The reason Stasis became a thing, however, and why the time was known as "Black Summer" is because of this new, seemingly bad (at the time) card called Necropotence, and the decks that would use it. It turns out paying one life to draw a card at the end of your turn is worth Dark Ritual-ing it first turn and drawing up win conditions and answers to your opponent's stuff. Unlike Stasis, Necropotence kept seeing play in the Extended format well into 2001, five years after its release, when they finally banned it. Prior to that, they would ban all the cards used in conjunction with Necropotence rather than ban Necropotence outright. Trix was especially rough at the time, since it was really consistent and fast with its wins, and this was a deck that not only used Necropotence to turn life into cards, it used life to fuel other cheap cards as well. And these were competitive decks from well over ten years ago.

Dark Confidant will potentially make you lose more life per spell than what Necropotence will, but average it out with land draws that don't hurt you, and they're more or less similar in function. Dark Confidant just happens to be easier to kill than Necropotence, and instead of waiting until the end of your turn to get the card you get it right before your draw step, and also you still have your draw step instead of just skipping it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 22, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I'm playing this pile.

Whoa, this is almost card for card a deck that one of the weirder players at my old store always played (he always played strange decks and used little vinyl Zoidberg figures for tokens....which I was totally fine with, it was actually kind of awesome....but he was that guy who played Battle of Wits). I had never seen it anywhere else.

Not a single night of Modern passed without having to overhear him explain Norin to someone, no one understood the deck. I was probably the only one in the room who had no fear of it, since I play Melira Pod and what's another 30 damage to an infinite combo. Everyone else had a ton of Scapeshift and stuff that REALLY struggles when you have a ton of life gain. The biggest douchebag at the store played Scapeshift, so Alex and Norin were my heroes because they made him bitch and moan so much (and always beat him).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I played that pile for a little bit and loved it. Been meaning to revisit it and throw return to ranks in it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Entropic posted:

A. That's super scummy.
B. They won't reimburse you if you keep filing for the same thing.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Not a single night of Modern passed without having to overhear him explain Norin to someone, no one understood the deck. I was probably the only one in the room who had no fear of it, since I play Melira Pod and what's another 30 damage to an infinite combo. Everyone else had a ton of Scapeshift and stuff that REALLY struggles when you have a ton of life gain. The biggest douchebag at the store played Scapeshift, so Alex and Norin were my heroes because they made him bitch and moan so much (and always beat him).

I've been playing it for a while now. It's a lot of fun, especially online. It's actually kind of terrible to play on paper because there's so much to keep track of, especially with the Archangel. You need dozens of Myr tokens, dice, etc. Spirit Bonds makes it even more confusing. The fact that it's good against UR Burn, which is 103% of the online meta is nice too.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I played that pile for a little bit and loved it. Been meaning to revisit it and throw return to ranks in it.

:stare: I'll have to try that.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Bob/Force/other old or really "pro" cards are just unintuitive until you play with them, in my opinion. xeose, play some cube, or some legacy on Cockatrice or whatever, or even just watch cube/legacy videos on ChannelFireball or SCG, and it quickly becomes apparent how good they are.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Bob/Force/other old or really "pro" cards are just unintuitive until you play with them, in my opinion. xeose, play some cube, or some legacy on Cockatrice or whatever, or even just watch cube/legacy videos on ChannelFireball or SCG, and it quickly becomes apparent how good they are.

holy poo poo we just got past that dumb discussion please don't do it again for another 10 pages

add "new player doesn't understand card value" to the bingo sheet
then add "add to the bingo sheet" to the bingo sheet

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mortimer posted:

holy poo poo we just got past that dumb discussion please don't do it again for another 10 pages

Then add "add "add to the bingo sheet" to the bingo sheet" to the bingo sheet.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mortimer posted:

This bingo sheet is like the size of a poster. Nobody is ever going to get a bingo, might as well just make it a drink when someone says list.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Mortimer posted:

I'm sorry. This post is much better, I agree.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Agreeing with this, when I saw 150~ new posts this morning I thought Commander 2014 spoilers had dropped or something.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Seriously, shut the gently caress up until conspiracy 2 drops or someone gets a bingo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Seriously, shut the gently caress up until conspiracy 2 drops or someone gets a bingo.

Or Commander 2014 spoilers actually do start.

Seriously, where's Urza, Planeswalker already?! :argh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Count Bleck posted:

Or Commander 2014 spoilers actually do start.

Seriously, where's Urza, Planeswalker already?! :argh:

Dead, I think.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

A. That's super scummy.
B. They won't reimburse you if you keep filing for the same thing.

I've been playing it for a while now. It's a lot of fun, especially online. It's actually kind of terrible to play on paper because there's so much to keep track of, especially with the Archangel. You need dozens of Myr tokens, dice, etc. Spirit Bonds makes it even more confusing. The fact that it's good against UR Burn, which is 103% of the online meta is nice too.

:stare: I'll have to try that.

Less scummy than exploiting a bug that makes your opponent time out http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2h5dg8/so_some_guy_40d_a_standard_daily_with_a_deck/

I was joking in case it wasn't clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cernunnos posted:

Dead, I think.

Well yeah but they specifically said that the legendary creatures and Planeswalker commanders were going to be characters they missed using at the time. Like Gisa and Teferi

• Locked thread