Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm sure SHIELD has some anti-brainwashing stuff they do for agents they send into cover. It would be pretty ridiculous if they didn't.

In that they only found out that brainwashing was a thing like three episodes ago, I don't see how that's possible, especially since both Morse and Simmons were in place before they even heard HYDRA could do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's obvious the fact the hydra guys said it doesn't always work will come into play at some point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

jng2058 posted:

It's an interesting situation. On one hand, either Mockingbird or Simmons could have been brainwashed. On the other hand, SHIELD is aware of both that HYDRA has brainwashing capability and the possibility that anyone who spends time near HYDRA (like Bobbi or Jemma) could have been Fausted.

Complicating matters is the fact that a brainwashed victim remains normal until the whole "compliance will be rewarded" bit comes up.

So who's got the upper hand? HYDRA for maybe having brainwashed operatives in SHIELD? Or SHIELD being aware of the possibility and maybe using that knowledge to feed HYDRA bad intel? Could go either way...

Yeah, this is interesting.

Personally, I think that Simmons is not brainwashed, since the end of the first Simmons episode this season showed the Hyrda agents, talking only to themselves, deciding that Simmons was someone they trust for now, and they never were shown to get suspicious of her again until she was literally having to flee down the hallways.

BUT, I think Mockingbird being brainwashed is a possibility. She sent Simmons up to the roof while she went to confront the Hydra agent, and that was a prime opportunity for him to make her Comply. (I mean activate pre-existing brainwashing).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 22, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, this is interesting.

Personally, I think that Simmons is not brainwashed, since the end of the first Simmons episode this season showed the Hyrda agents, talking only to themselves, deciding that Simmons was someone they trust for now, and they never were shown to get suspicious of her again until she was literally having to flee down the hallways.

BUT, I think Mockingbird being brainwashed is a possibility. She sent Simmons up to the roof while she went to confront the Hydra agent, and that was a prime opportunity for him to make her Comply.

I thought they showed that brainwashing takes a long time. They made it seem they were brainwashing Agent 33 for a long time before they broke her, unless you are saying that she is just activated at that point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought they showed that brainwashing takes a long time. They made it seem they were brainwashing Agent 33 for a long time before they broke her, unless you are saying that she is just activated at that point.

I'm pretty sure Stabbey means the latter. IE, Morse has been brainwashed for ages, and evil lieutenant hit her with Compliance Will Be Rewarded and told her to go infiltrate SHIELD for them. Given that they didn't show the "fight" she was headed to, I'm liking brainwashed Mockingbird on a HYDRA infiltration gig more and more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Since both of her parents turned into "monsters" and destroyed their village, it's likely both of them have alien DNA and the interbreeding or whatever happened before them.

If her dad is supposed to be Mr Hyde they could say that his formula was based on adapting alien DNA for humans, which means that since one or both of her parents had it in them it would be natural for Skye.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I was hoping Skye's Dad was Maximus since he doesn't have kids in the comics and they easily introduce Skye as his daughter and as far as I remember, he is the only evil/unbalanced Inhuman, but Mr Hyde is also a good option, specially considering that "the village was destroyed by monsters" thing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I really am dissappointed that they got rid of the Simmons' infiltration plot so soon.

It would've been grand for a later season reveal of hydra also having a mole in shield. Doubly so if both sides knew they were infiltrated but couldn't expose the spies in their ranks without exposing their operations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Skye's dad might not be an inhuman at all. Maybe he's gone through the same process that Coulson and Garret did. He's just crazy-pants on alien juice.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was hoping that the infiltration plot would go for half the season, with a reveal around episode 18 that 50% of Hydra had been infiltrated by SHIELD operatives who go around whispering "Salutations SHIELD" to each other followed by the show becoming bad again

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He certainly knows a shitload of stuff about alien stuff

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Mokinokaro posted:

I really am dissappointed that they got rid of the Simmons' infiltration plot so soon.

I'm not. I like the show when it's moving, as opposed to dragging its heels.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Jamesman posted:

Skye's dad might not be an inhuman at all. Maybe he's gone through the same process that Coulson and Garret did. He's just crazy-pants on alien juice.

Alien juice didn't make Coulson and Garret that good at effortlessly murdering large numbers of people.

I'm glad they ditched the Simmons in Hydra plot because it would strain my credibility for her to actually be very successful at it. She really is a bad liar.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Sharmat posted:

Alien juice didn't make Coulson and Garret that good at effortlessly murdering large numbers of people.

I'm glad they ditched the Simmons in Hydra plot because it would strain my credibility for her to actually be very successful at it. She really is a bad liar.

I'm not sure how to break this to you but I'll try to do it gently. The person named Simmons, who was called a terrible liar in season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is a fictional character whose qualities (such as, say, an ability to lie) can be changed or molded over time in order to tell a story. For an example of this, see the character Skye from the very same show, who went from being useless to a competent field agent in the space between seasons.

What I'm saying is your point is ridiculous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The biggest problem with Simmons in Hydra was that it kept her from interacting with any of the other characters on a regular basis.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

muscles like this? posted:

The biggest problem with Simmons in Hydra was that it kept her from interacting with any of the other characters on a regular basis.

(except for Fitz :( )

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not sure how to break this to you but I'll try to do it gently. The person named Simmons, who was called a terrible liar in season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., is a fictional character whose qualities (such as, say, an ability to lie) can be changed or molded over time in order to tell a story. For an example of this, see the character Skye from the very same show, who went from being useless to a competent field agent in the space between seasons.

Character development should be shown over the course of the series, not just foisted on the show by the writers waving a magic wand. Skye was shown working on the skills needed to become a field agent all the way back to early season 1. Simmons...not so much.

There's nothing ridiculous about holding the show to a standard it set upon itself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The Sharmat posted:

No, they were competent fighters beforehand, and Garret was an evil dick beforehand. I'm not saying that Skye's dad got magic powers from the injection. Just that he's crazy from it and has been for a long, long time. This is Coulson in 20+ years.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

And your point is stupid. Yes, literally anything can happen in a fictional story but that doesn't mean it should happen. There is a thing called credibility, which is much like a rubber band* in that it can be stretched. Stretch it too far, too fast, and it will snap. Stretch it slowly, however, and it will hold together much better. If Simmons is going to become a good liar, she's going to need to do it slowly so as not to strain credibility.

*Anuses work the same way, come to think of it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Jamesman posted:

No, they were competent fighters beforehand, and Garret was an evil dick beforehand. I'm not saying that Skye's dad got magic powers from the injection. Just that he's crazy from it and has been for a long, long time. This is Coulson in 20+ years.

While I guess it's possible that that's the case, he shows advanced knowledge of the obelisk in a way that he's completely familiar with it. I suppose he could have gleaned that from the crazed voices of his mind if he was just juice-crazy, but it's far more likely there's something else to it.

Then again, Coulson has already directly stated the assumption is that he is alien and therefor so is Skye. If there's one thing this show does well/often is completely go against the assumed direction.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Spergatory posted:

And your point is stupid. Yes, literally anything can happen in a fictional story but that doesn't mean it should happen. There is a thing called credibility, which is much like a rubber band* in that it can be stretched. Stretch it too far, too fast, and it will snap. Stretch it slowly, however, and it will hold together much better. If Simmons is going to become a good liar, she's going to need to do it slowly so as not to strain credibility.

*Anuses work the same way, come to think of it.

Yeah ok. Looking for credibility in this show is pretty drat stupid. Just from this last episode, Coulson apparently had some magical escape plan for Simmons already in place, with a [stealth jet sitting outside the building, when he had no idea that Raina was going to give him only 2 minutes before exposing Simmons. You could argue that character trait credibility is more important, and maybe I'd agree, but the point still stands. You could pick these nits regarding credibility in every single episode, the show doesn't do a great job of following its own internal rules. But that's fine.

Additionally, I love how you want the show to take it slowly with moving characters forward and having them grow when that was 90% of the complaints about the first half of season 1. If the first 5 episodes of season 2 had a plotline where Simmons was gradually learning to be a better liar with an ultimate payoff of infiltrating Hydra people would be tearing out their hair asking the show to just get on with it.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 22, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ah, you're one of those.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The Sharmat posted:

If she's not seriously questioned she doesn't have to lie. She just does her job as usually sending off intel as nessecary, when she went under suspicion she did lie terribly. Luckily the person she lied to was also a shield agent.

She gained her trust not by lying but by "saving" the life of a Hydra higher up.

She probably only had to lie once, and once she was in as long as she did whatever science they wanted her to do they didn't have a reason to seriously question her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

While I guess it's possible that that's the case, he shows advanced knowledge of the obelisk in a way that he's completely familiar with it. I suppose he could have gleaned that from the crazed voices of his mind if he was just juice-crazy, but it's far more likely there's something else to it.

Then again, Coulson has already directly stated the assumption is that he is alien and therefor so is Skye. If there's one thing this show does well/often is completely go against the assumed direction.

I'm not married to the theory, just throwing it out there to think about. He could have gotten some alien blood from Skye's mother. Maybe from all that doin' in they did. And he got all that alien knowledge because his wife was an alien, and all those years of studying alien stuff and, like you said, having inherent knowledge from having the alien blood in him.

It's just a thing to thing about. What if he's not some kind of super-alien, but just what can happen to a man exposed to that alien juice and left to go crazy for 20-some years? Also they are a doctor with pre-existing knowledge of aliens.

But he could also just be a super-alien.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

mikeraskol posted:

Yeah ok. Looking for credibility in this show is pretty drat stupid. Just from this last episode, Coulson apparently had some magical escape plan for Simmons already in place, with a [stealth jet sitting outside the building, when he had no idea that Raina was going to give him only 2 minutes before exposing Simmons.

He may have enacted the escape plan when Mockingbird informed him Simmons was in danger of being found out, since she was the one in charge of the search in the first place.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I can't be the only that noticed Simmons seems to have gotten some, uh, enhancements... right?

I posit forth the notion that Hydra has... implanted... some advanced fembot technology into her at some point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mylan posted:

He may have enacted the escape plan when Mockingbird informed him Simmons was in danger of being found out, since she was the one in charge of the search in the first place.

Or it could just be bad writing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

I really like the Coulson vs. Skye's dad thing too. It's pretty clear that Skye's dad hates Coulson since he's a father figure to her, as seen when she hugged him. And Coulson, outside of a few things, has been really supportive of her and protective and acted like a dad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Deakul posted:

So, I can't be the only that noticed Simmons seems to have gotten some, uh, enhancements... right?

I posit forth the notion that Hydra has... implanted... some advanced fembot technology into her at some point.

Advanced technology known as a push up bra.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

greatn posted:

Advanced technology known as a push up bra.

Hail Hydra

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Nope.

surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Avengers 2 Trailer to Debut on Next Week's S.H.I.E.L.D.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/10/21/avengers-age-of-ultron-teaser-trailer-to-debut-on-marvels-agents-of-shield

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
So, they have established that Anchorman exists in the MCU. Also, Paul Rudd is playing Scott Lang in Ant-Man. Crossover opportunities abound. :v:

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Mylan posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming this was the entire point of showing that HYDRA realized they had a mole before Raina transmitted the image. It opened a plausible window between scenes where Raina tells HYDRA they have a mole and Bobbi contacts Coulson to tell him exactly what Raina is up to before he goes to the restaurant. He only goes to get more info out of her, which is what gets them on the trail of ragedad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I doubt either Simmons or Mockingbird are brainwashed. They both seem to be aware of where the Shield base is, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Hydra to try to get spies in to keep an eye on the last 8 Shield dudes vs just using the brainwashing to get the location and storm the place.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tunklord Supreme posted:

Nick Fury has an old flame in the comics named the Contessa Valentina Allegra di Fontaine, but I may be reaching a bit for that connection.

She also ended up being a traitor and member of a group called Leviathan.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I love that rage dad can just walk right into a hydra base and into the grand poobah's office at will.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

bobkatt013 posted:

She also ended up being a traitor and member of a group called Leviathan.

A creature that enormous in the ocean would certainly cause the tide to rise :rimshot:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
So really hoping to see Bob, Agent of Hydra at some point (in all his inept glory). Hopefully they don't wait till the Deadpool reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Javid posted:

I love that rage dad can just walk right into a hydra base and into the grand poobah's office at will.

I assumed he killed a lot of dudes on his way up, like too quick for them to call for help.

• Locked thread