Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Levitate posted:

Are there any "to do list" type of apps that you can share with someone else with the same app and have like a a joint to do list?

iOS reminders stock app, but you have to designate who else shares your list by logging into icloud.com on a desktop.

If you're going cross platform, though, maybe Wunderlist? No idea there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

iOS reminders stock app, but you have to designate who else shares your list by logging into icloud.com on a desktop.

ah, hmm, thanks, never thought to look at the stock app, I'll give it a shot. Really just need iphone to iphone or something

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stock app works great. Use it for shared shopping lists all the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Not true anymore!

Click list/edit/sharing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah it supposedly still sends them an email they have to accept etc etc

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Levitate posted:

Are there any "to do list" type of apps that you can share with someone else with the same app and have like a a joint to do list?

There's a bunch that people mentioned on the last page that might be worth looking through.

So I ended up making my simple shopping list app in under 24 hours and it works exactly how I want. Hooray! I just submitted it to the app store to sell for 99 cents, maybe I'll make a few bucks off of it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I've had this weird safari bug on my mini retina that I haven't seen anyone post in here:

Intermittently when I do a Google search from the url bar, I can't click links or page elements until I scroll.

So, google "dogs" (I do this constantly) and sometimes nothing can be clicked until I scroll down and up.

Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking it seems rare enough that a restore should clear it up.
Yeah I've run into it a few times, same device. I'm thinking it has something to do with the resizing toolbar but that's just a wild guess. Anyway I'm assuming it's just another iOS 8 bug.

Vinlaen posted:

Infuse 3 has just been updated to support iOS 8 and the iPhone 6/6+. They also added support for DTS so you can literally play just about ANY type of video with it now.

I'm still comparing video players for iOS but this one seems like the one to beat.
Infuse 2 kinda sucked, just downloaded it again and I guess it gave me the "legacy pro" upgrade in 3, didn't check what it adds exactly (DTS I guess?). Anyway it seems alright. There's a fancy thumbnail/poster view it shows in the screenshots but the speed of loading directories could've been better. It does still have a list view (...in the add menu) which works fine though. Playback seemed fine from a few quick tests.

I'll still be using nPlayer though, just has a basic list view but it seems to be a bit quicker in loading directories and there's other niceties like a search filter and just more customization and usage options. It doesn't have DTS afaik but I haven't run into that much if it all myself.

Martytoof posted:

Guhh. How has Google not updated their hosed up Youtube app yet? You'd think they'd notice tons of one star reviews on the app store, or maybe -- god forbid -- run it on all possible iPads before they released it into the wild..
MxTube! And/or just the website, screw the official app.

spanky the dolphin posted:

That is one of the things I use Siri for. Say 'Location Services' and it brings up a button for it.
It doesn't help much when there's still a big list of apps once you get there though. A little search field at the top of those lists would really be useful.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes, one of the largest - if not the largest - online retailers of books, music, software, and movies deciding not to help a company that directly competes with it in those fields to launch a new and potentially extremely lucrative payment model is just loving moronic.

Clearly the people who run Amazon know nothing about how to conduct business.

I don't know about that, but I do know that anytime I'll be using iPay or whatever I now won't be using my Amazon card, but will instead be using a different card. So if their goal was to get me to use their card less, I guess they succeeded?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't know about that, but I do know that anytime I'll be using iPay or whatever I now won't be using my Amazon card, but will instead be using a different card. So if their goal was to get me to use their card less, I guess they succeeded?
Yeah they're competitors but Amazon makes money off Apple too, it's like saying there should be no Amazon apps on iOS cause it helps Apple. The reason to get on Apple Pay would be to get people to make it easier to use their card, if they're not on there people could put other cards that are and use them instead. Even if they're planning they're own thing* it's still good cause it gets people used to it in the first place, there's less need to try to convince people for the use case cause Apple already did the work to establish it.

*Which reminded me of Amazon Payments which is like PayPal, which reminded me of this story:
http://bankinnovation.net/2014/09/missing-from-the-paypal-ipo-apple-pay/

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Levitate posted:

I personally use evernote for that. They've just added it as a feature.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Faithless posted:

I personally use evernote for that. They've just added it as a feature.

They've had checklists for ages and they've always been clumsy on an iphone - whats changed?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

They've had checklists for ages and they've always been clumsy on an iphone - whats changed?

Now there's a "list" button that creates a new note with a checkbox! :downs:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

Now there's a "list" button that creates a new note with a checkbox! :downs:

I just tried this and it created a new note with a single checkbox. Seems a bit poo poo - i'd expect it to add another one after i hit enter on the keyboard.

And it's still a pain hitting the checkbox.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

i'd expect it to add another one after i hit enter on the keyboard.

...This is exactly what it does.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

bvoid posted:

...This is exactly what it does.

Just tested a bit and yes it does - with the stock keyboard. But with Swype it doesn't.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Nice, Fantastical updated with a widget. You can toggle the widget to include a Calendar, today's appointments, or both, so that's cool. It looks a little cluttered maybe but pretty helpful.

Also, the iPhone version is on sale for $2.99 (iPad for $7.99)

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Apparently it'll get here when it gets here. http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/22/apple-pay-amazon/

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Happy to see everyone working together instead of more fragmentation. I wonder what the delay was all about to begin with.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dumb stab in the dark, but maybe they had to figure out how to link the tokenized transactions with the Amazon user account so they can track purchases or something. This seems like it should be stupidly simple, but I don't know anything about the backend systems here so maybe it's not!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is Dark Sky worth 4 bucks? Is it as hyper accurate as it purports to be?

EDIT: Everything I've read says that Dark Sky gets its information from forecast.io

What does the app give me that I can't get from the forecast.io webapp? Does the paid app give me more info?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 22, 2014

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

OldSenileGuy posted:

EDIT: Everything I've read says that Dark Sky gets its information from forecast.io

What does the app give me that I can't get from the forecast.io webapp? Does the paid app give me more info?

Dark Sky is more focused on what the next hour will be like and predicting imminent precipitation. You can set it to send you alerts, which you can't do with the web app. Dark Sky has a widget if you're into that kind of thing.

Dark Sky and forecast.io are the same people so there is a lot of overlap. I'm not in a region supported by Dark Sky yet so I can't vouch for the to-the-minute accuracy. The long term predictions are fairly hit or miss, but I suppose most are.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's faster, you get more (or more optimized) information, and there are no ads (not that the ones in the webapp are intrusive).

Having just fired them up side by side, the added/changed info:
  • Map can show precipitation or temperature
  • A precipitation graph showing the precipitation for the next hour
  • A temperature graph showing the temperature for the whole day
  • Wind direction uses cardinal directions instead of the weird arrow
  • Dew point includes the spread
  • Pressure is displayed with rising/falling (rather than separately)
  • Sun rise and set
  • 7-day forecasts are scaled to fit the screen (no swiping)

And, like ChetReckless said, you can get notifications of precip slightly before they're forecast to happen.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Levitate posted:

Todoist was actually originally made to do this, and it has top-notch cross-platform support along with a great web app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
So which goon will be the one to give me an Inbox invite?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

The weather alert stuff is pretty accurate where I am. Widget is nice. Other than that I don't think there is a difference.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

So which goon will be the one to give me an Inbox invite?

I expected there to be a thread, but doesn't seem so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I would also like an Inbox invite if anyone has any.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
As far as I know, very few people have invites right now and they're mostly Google employees and their friends/family.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Inbox looks pretty cool, I wonder how things like Mailbox and Fantastical will take advantage of those new features.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

tuyop posted:

Inbox looks pretty cool, I wonder how things like Mailbox and Fantastical will take advantage of those new features.

My assumption is that Google won't release these features as part of their API. I'm sure their analytics show that a good amount of people have stopped using the Gmail app on mobile, and this is their way of recapturing lost ad revenue from that market.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
Does the Gmail mobile app show ads?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I archived a bunch of gmail messages in Mail on iPhone and they're not getting archived on the Mac or on the gmail site. Anyone know what that's about? I definitely remember that working.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

the kawaiiest posted:

As far as I know, very few people have invites right now and they're mostly Google employees and their friends/family.

And every tech blog I read :argh:

I really want to try it, it looks like it's exactly set up for how I use email.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
As long as they don't merge that stuff into Gmail I'll be happy.. I don't want any part of it.

Has anyone noticed muting hashtags in Tweetbot failing to work? Since the latest release, any one-day mutes just disappear a few hours later and the affected hashtags are showing again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Google changed who can use Inbox within the past day. It used to be limited to only @gmail.com accounts and those using Google Apps for Personal use, but now it's no Google Apps people at all.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an app that will display photos I've stored in my google drive account better than the drive app?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there an IFTT recipe for retweeting a certain account automatically? I want to RT a certain account every time they tweet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

ICHIBAHN posted:

Is there an IFTT recipe for retweeting a certain account automatically? I want to RT a certain account every time they tweet.
Not sure if the iOS thread is the right thread for that question, but anyway: https://ifttt.com/recipes/149174-automatically-retweet

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure if the iOS thread is the right thread for that question, but anyway: https://ifttt.com/recipes/149174-automatically-retweet

Eh, I mention it in the OP and a lot of its usage benefits mobile users directly. Can't think of a better thread to ask about it either. If people mind it I can remove the OP tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Eh, I mention it in the OP and a lot of its usage benefits mobile users directly. Can't think of a better thread to ask about it either. If people mind it I can remove the OP tutorial

IFTTT is fantastic and absolutely related to iOS.