Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Kanos posted:

Build Fighters routinely blurs the dialogue/logical reaction line between "actually piloting/inside the robot" and "i'm driving this model around like a fancy RC car". The pilots constantly grunt and yell when their suits do stuff or take hits(see Fumina yelling in pain while the Agrissa was hitting the Cardigan with the plasma field), they do action camera cuts when the model is falling or getting knocked about as though the pilot is actually being thrown around, and silly stuff like "But we don't want to leave Aila/China behind!" when their Gunpla got trashed at the end of season 1. It's silly and I don't think there's any real reasoning for it besides "everyone is REALLY REALLY into this poo poo so they get caught up in the moment".

Being a gunpla pilot entitles you to a higher level of :spergin:

But yea sometimes their... "immersion" is a little off-putting I guess. It's like at time the series is really self-aware that the gundams are toys, and sometimes they just forget and go space drama.

I'm not sure I'd have it any other way though, I think it adds to the comedic factor kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Build Fighters routinely blurs the dialogue/logical reaction line between "actually piloting/inside the robot" and "i'm driving this model around like a fancy RC car". The pilots constantly grunt and yell when their suits do stuff or take hits(see Fumina yelling in pain while the Agrissa was hitting the Cardigan with the plasma field), they do action camera cuts when the model is falling or getting knocked about as though the pilot is actually being thrown around, and silly stuff like "But we don't want to leave Aila/China behind!" when their Gunpla got trashed at the end of season 1. It's silly and I don't think there's any real reasoning for it besides "everyone is REALLY REALLY into this poo poo so they get caught up in the moment".

Yeah, but I admit it's a little disappointing when they do it. One of the fun things about BF is that (combat yells aside), they rarely forgot they were writing a show about plastic toys which they used to good effect at times. So that or moments like 'we gotta protect these downed Gunpla" feel kind of weird and forced and honestly like the writers getting a little lazy and putting a 'stock' trope in to the series. It's a minor complaint, admittedly.

One thing that Try has been kind of poorer about is making it feel like models are fighting instead of tiny robots. Hopefully the next episode will be a bit better about that since it is the first real 'building' episode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I liked Ral's crazed look while he was expositing about the team. That is a man you do not gently caress with while he narrates.

The fight was pretty neat considering it was clearly on budget, so I'm very hopeful for the next high budget episode. The romance scene at the end was hilariously forced, but if they actually go through with it and not just leave it as a gag that could be kind of cool.

Also no cameos at all! I mean there was a Nobel and a Rising, but they were customized.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something they mentioned in a throwaway line was that Sei won the 11th World Cup with the BBG. I wonder how many of the last six or seven cups he's won.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also no cameos at all! I mean there was a Nobel and a Rising, but they were customized.

What about the full spectrum of Beargguy III's? :colbert:

I'd be perfectly fine with a line of nothing but HG Beargguys in different colours.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but I admit it's a little disappointing when they do it. One of the fun things about BF is that (combat yells aside), they rarely forgot they were writing a show about plastic toys which they used to good effect at times. So that or moments like 'we gotta protect these downed Gunpla" feel kind of weird and forced and honestly like the writers getting a little lazy and putting a 'stock' trope in to the series. It's a minor complaint, admittedly.

One thing that Try has been kind of poorer about is making it feel like models are fighting instead of tiny robots. Hopefully the next episode will be a bit better about that since it is the first real 'building' episode.

I just assumed large portions of the cast were big gundam fans, so them writing/animating things like it was a regular gundam show doesn't bother me that much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No, Mantis dude said in episode 1 that Sei only ever won one tournament seven years ago.

He participated, but that doesn't mean he won.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
There were some nice characterization moments this episode. Sekai's monologue in the prologue made a surprising amount of sense, and it also goes to show he's not in this out of any affection for Gundam or gunpla. It'll be interesting to see how that attitude changes over time, and I have a feeling it'll have to do with the damage the Build Burning is starting to accrue.

Meanwhile Yuuma's apology was also surprisingly sensible, as was Fumina's reply that it's not that big of a deal.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I mean I agree that the colony vacuum part was silly to a negative degree, but reacting to hits and dramatic yelling are pretty necessary if you want to do a show like this.

Imagine Build Fighters if everybody played it the way people really play competitive videogames, dead silence and manic focus, the only noise generated being the agressive clacking of the holographic control stick things.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

On the other hand: I bet gunpla battle would have the hypest casters and announcers ever.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Why can't I hit it?"

"Because you're bad."

BFT best show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Look at these guys who don't take gunpla so seriously that it feels like their lives are on the line :colbert:. Gyanko is great and had better make regular appearances and hopefully go far in the tournament, and Yuuma is an excellent shithead goon.

I'm looking forward to next episode's build fest already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

No, Mantis dude said in episode 1 that Sei only ever won one tournament seven years ago.

He participated, but that doesn't mean he won.

Oh you're right. I somehow misremembered "used in" as "won with".

Sharkopath posted:

I just assumed large portions of the cast were big gundam fans, so them writing/animating things like it was a regular gundam show doesn't bother me that much.

Yeah, it's probably just because they can :allears:. Also, just for the sake of argument, getting spaced would've probably sent the already-crippled R-Gyagya tumbling into debris or something and getting further wrecked.

Also, did anyone else chuckle at the Mocks holding targets up? I want an HG with those as accessory hands.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
With the available gunswords, ballistic lances and the rest, surely they would dismiss that pistol as a waste of time on a close combat suit.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, did anyone else chuckle at the Mocks holding targets up? I want an HG with those as accessory hands.

I thought it was funny that Sekai managed to throw the pistol at the Mock accurately before punching a hole in it. Where was that accuracy before champ?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was my favorite little detail in this one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So here's the timeline as near as I can figure:

20X0
Ral turns 35
7th World Championship - Star Build Strike Gundam wins
Reiji and Aila return to Arian, Build Fighters season 1 ends

20X1
Ral turns 35
8th World Championship - Build Strike Cosmos Gundam
Fumina and Yuuma promise to play Gunpla battle together when they enter middle school

20X2
Ral turns 35
9th World Championship

20X3
Ral turns 35
10th World Championship

20X4
Ral turns 35
11th World Championship - Build Burning Gundam built

20X5
Ral turns 35
12th World Championship
Fumina enters middle school
Yuuma gets owned by Kitbash Hell Custom, loses confidence

20X6
Ral turns 35
13th World Championship
6 Years Later epilogue segment from the Build Fighters Blu-Ray takes place
Yuuma enters middle school
Yuuma breaks his promise to Fumina, joins Plamo Club instead

20X7
Ral turns 35
Build Fighters Try begins

So what I'm wondering is what exactly happened 3 years ago that made Sei decide to hide the Build Burning Gundam inside a Dom, then hide the Dom inside his old trophy for the 7th tournament?

Also, loved the episode. It's amazing how disturbing Mantis Man manages to be even when he's not creeping on Fumina. Also, Team Northern Song Dynasty Vase was awesome. I hope we get kits for those, though I'm not optimistic (though maybe we'll get an HGFC Rising Gundam as part of the All Gundam Project... I mean, we got an Airmaster this year, after all... maybe G Gundam can get some more love next year...)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mock = best faceless grunt MS ever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Geez, it's not that hard guys, they were basically gunpla LARPing. It's more fun that way even if it does make you look goofy as hell and the alternative would be boring and make for a much less entertaining show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how badly Sei loses.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Geez, it's not that hard guys, they were basically gunpla LARPing. It's more fun that way even if it does make you look goofy as hell and the alternative would be boring and make for a much less entertaining show.

I thought the first season was entertaining. :smith:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how badly Sei loses.

I thought the first season was entertaining. :smith:

They did the same things in the first season. Christ...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

So what I'm wondering is what exactly happened 3 years ago that made Sei decide to hide the Build Burning Gundam inside a Dom, then hide the Dom inside his old trophy for the 7th tournament?

Going by the usual anime cliches, I'm betting on "sealed it away because he couldn't bring out it's full potential, for someone to find it who can".

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Going by the usual anime cliches, I'm betting on "sealed it away because he couldn't bring out it's full potential, for someone to find it who can".

My money is still on Sei being a total goon. He put it in there because he knew eventually someone would use the dom, have it destroyed and then get to kick rear end with the build burning gundam in a dramatic moment.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What surprises me is how destructive Sekai's moves get, to the point of creating a goddamn hurricane centered on him.

His moves were not made for Gunpla, they were made for humans. Just how drat strong is the Jigen Haoh style? If it can cause even a bit of the destruction it does when it's used by a human...then Sekai's even more G Gundam than I gave him credit for, and I thought he was really G Gundam. Which is a good thing, G Gundam is great.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently it got upgraded as well so Sei or someone else had to modify it further after the championship. The director has mentioned that he doesn't want to bring on too much of the cast from the previous season because he wants this one to be entirely about the new cast. Which makes it weird when something as huge as the Burning is just such a big unknown.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I would like to point out that Sazaki's shields took a direct hit from a Sei-custom unit piloted by a kung fu prodigy and didn't even get scratched. The colony was less durable than the shield.

Sazaki's been practicing over the last 7 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I would like to point out that Sazaki's shields took a direct hit from a Sei-custom unit piloted by a kung fu prodigy and didn't even get scratched. The colony was less durable than the shield.

Judging by the sound they made, they were made of metal or at least coated with it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sazaki logic: If it doesn't move it doesn't need to be made of plastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

It says something about your shield quality when they take a hit like that and the parts connecting them to the Gunpla are what gets wrecked.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Oh god, Sekai cracking his knuckles as he and Fumina try to "intimidate" Miyaga into letting Yuuma join, and the stunned reactions after finding out the reason why he's letting them.

Oh god, Ral. He continues to be the best.

Oh god. Gyanko is great. The fight was really fun and energetic too.

This series is gonna continue to be fun. :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

W.T. Fits posted:

20X5
Ral turns 35
12th World Championship
Fumina enters middle school
Yuuma gets owned by Kitbash Hell Custom, loses confidence

Still pretty sure it was Hydra Gundam's body. Hope we get a better look.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"In the middle of practice, everyone forgot about Ral." :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BlitzBlast posted:

I liked Ral's crazed look while he was expositing about the team. That is a man you do not gently caress with while he narrates.

Ral has seen some poo poo in his 35 years on earth.

Haha, Gyanko literally wears a Zeon schoolgirl uniform.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't forget the Zeon logo on the lunchbox at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They did the same things in the first season. Christ...

The first season, as I said above, was a lot more emphasized on the idea that these were plastic toys. The danger in fights was that the carefully-built models would get wrecked and the damage had a greater emphasis on the 'modelness' of the kits. They had the units shaking around and moving and pilots responding like that, but they were pretty careful to emphasize that fights were important because they were unimportant. There were moments of extreme drama (like Felini planning to self-destruct) but even those were coached in "Are you really gonna blow up your drat model that you worked so hard on for no reason?" kinda stuff.

I won't say they never did it in the first season, because they did(if, at bare minimum, with the Bearguy/Sazabi thing), but those moments generally came across a bit forced. It's one of the things I liked about the first season (compared to something like Danball Senki or whatever where a children's plastic model is the Most Important Thing In The Universe) and I thought the show was good about sticking to that for the most part. It also made it funnier to me.

Like I said, it's a minor complaint, it's just something I noticed. v:shobon:v

Sakurazuka posted:

Gyanko is built out of Zeon references. Her brother did a number on her.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012
Gyanko's Gunpla club is all class. Top shelf mobile suits, no riff raff gunplas here.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

The first season, as I said above, was a lot more emphasized on the idea that these were plastic toys.

Nah not really, they did all that dumb poo poo in season 1 a lot and to fair to Try we're 3 episodes in so yeah it looks super concentrated when season 1 had all 25 episodes to space it out in. I'm sure it'll be fine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DookieSandwich posted:

Gyanko's Gunpla club is all class. Top shelf mobile suits, no riff raff gunplas here.

I love that the Tallgeese II is there.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah not really, they did all that dumb poo poo in season 1 a lot and to fair to Try we're 3 episodes in so yeah it looks super concentrated when season 1 had all 25 episodes to space it out in. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I can't really think of many examples of it, to be honest. I admit my memory could be off but I remember broken model arms or bearguys full of fluff being a lot more common.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DookieSandwich posted:

Oh wow, I missed the Gyan Vulcan and Gyan Gya Gyan are resting up on the top shelf when I saw this the first time :allears:. What are the red and blue pair on either side of the Gyan, out of curiosity?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Season 1 had its fair share of really big stupid, probably worse than what we've seen in season 2 so far. It had a loving alien newtype prince for christ sake. Pauper to rich guy because of alien tech. Cosplay vice president of a mega corporation. Cyber newtype melodrama. Mafia goons and gunpla hitmen. Gunpla police!

I cant believe something like a dude not wanting to see a girls toy get hosed up unnecessarily breaks your suspension of disbelief.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Season 1 had its fair share of really big stupid, probably worse than what we've seen in season 2 so far. It had a loving alien newtype prince for christ sake. Pauper to rich guy because of alien tech. Cosplay vice president of a mega corporation. Cyber newtype melodrama. Mafia goons and gunpla hitmen.

I cant believe something like a dude not wanting to see a girls toy get hosed up unnecessarily breaks your suspension of disbelief.

Let's not forget our favorite sperg Samurai Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Season 1 had its fair share of really big stupid, probably worse than what we've seen in season 2 so far. It had a loving alien newtype prince for christ sake. Pauper to rich guy because of alien tech. Cosplay vice president of a mega corporation. Cyber newtype melodrama. Mafia goons and gunpla hitmen.

Nobody is saying that Season 1 wasn't silly as gently caress? I'm saying that it was fairly consistent in how it treated battles, which was "these are battles between model kits and everyone treats it like that, with the drama (and humor) being based around the fact they are model kits." With Aila's plotline being the giant outlier because it was the one time a pilot was actually at risk.

Also that's the thing. The girl's toy would not have been damaged at all. It was getting sucked out into space while damaged. That is drama only when the pilot is in danger.

• Locked thread