Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Alacron posted:

I have lost more than a few items to poo poo like that :negative:

Wild Knight posted:

Know what's tricky? A compass in Master Quest highlighting a bush in a square where the enemies need to be revealed, making me think huh okay, that's weird that you need to burn the bush to reveal the enemies...and that bush does not need to be burned. It needs the bloody recorder to be used on it. :staredog:

The two of you will probably be wanting to keep this http://oyster.ignimgs.com/mediawiki/apis.ign.com/the-legend-of-zelda/3/30/ZeldaOverworldMapQ2.png handy, as it shows what tiles you'll need to use a recorder on, as the Master Quest map corresponds to Zelda 1's Second Quest.

The Duke posted:

What really sucks is that to use the 2nd level of apothecary potions you have to use silver mats, and I'm assuming you have to use gold mats for the 3rd level potions. Who would ever waste their precious silvers and golds on what's probably a negligible % boost to material/weapon find?

Well, at some point you're going to finish enough badges that there are Silver and Gold materials that you have no need for. Sure, you could save said materials on the off chance that a new character added in later DLC will use them, but you can also use them on said potions as what else are they good for?

Edit- Whoops, did not realize it automatically added img tags to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The GIG posted:

Vs Legend is the holders of the Triforce

Vs Time is Darunia, Ruto, and Sheik

Vs Twilight is Midna, Agitha, and Zant

Vs Skyward is Impa, Fi, and Ghirahim

Vs Sorceress is Lana and Cia

Vs Beast is all the big bosses except Dodongo and Argorok

Vs Dragon are the Alfos, Volga and the last two big bosses

Vs Undead are Wizzro, the Poes, the Redeads, and Darknuts

Vs Soldier are the trash mobs

and Vs Ganon is pretty obvious

Looks like dragons is the main useful one, since -alfos guys are kinda annoying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I still haven't used the fairy, or the summoning gate except to lose once on its level 2, or the horse, because I'm at the point in Adventure Mode where pretty much everything that's left has a specific person requirement.

The only levels I can play that I haven't at least beaten are the Level 2 Gate level, the one where Ganondorf has to fight Ganon and other bosses (which kicked my rear end so badly the first time, I have been afraid to go back to it), the "Defeat the ocean beast!" level, a "Defeat all enemies!" with some mini-Imprisoned, Sheik's level 3, and some level in the lower right corner based on Manhandla artillery fire. I think there are a few places where I could replay for an A rank to unlock levels toward the top.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Got all the weapons and costumes in Master Quest, went back to normal to get Agitha's T3 (and Zant and Lana's summoning gate) and nope still hard.

I just don't get Agitha's mission, all of her stuff takes far, far too long to come out and even with vs Dragon on a 220 umbrella everything just takes forever to die so I get nicked a whole goddamn lot. What a terrible character.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I'd agree that Agitha's stuff comes too slow but... for some reason I really enjoy playing her, even though she's poo poo :sigh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think if at any given point I cycle through all of my available unbeaten levels and lose four times on all of them, I am going to begin cheating by using a second controller, possibly employing my fiance to run in circles.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Got all the weapons and costumes in Master Quest, went back to normal to get Agitha's T3 (and Zant and Lana's summoning gate) and nope still hard.

I just don't get Agitha's mission, all of her stuff takes far, far too long to come out and even with vs Dragon on a 220 umbrella everything just takes forever to die so I get nicked a whole goddamn lot. What a terrible character.

If everything is taking forever to die, that may be a sign that you're underleveled, just saying.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Eopia posted:

If everything is taking forever to die, that may be a sign that you're underleveled, just saying.

Not with Agitha, she's garbage, and that mission has really high-level Dinolfos on it. Your best bet is to usually avoid them if possible, or just bring them to ~half health and let your allied captains do the rest of the lifting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I always think that high level Shield Moblins and Dinolfos are the ones that bother me the most, but they I remember that Gibdos and Redead Knights exist, which will really gently caress you over if there's a dogpile of them and Volga or somebody also happens to be hanging around, smacking you while one of them manages to freeze you.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

RyokoTK posted:

Not with Agitha, she's garbage, and that mission has really high-level Dinolfos on it. Your best bet is to usually avoid them if possible, or just bring them to ~half health and let your allied captains do the rest of the lifting.

I had absolutely no problems with that mission with Agitha, and I didn't even have a five star Tier 2 weapon. So either you people are playing with a severely underleveled Agitha, or you're just terrible at using her.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Eopia posted:

I had absolutely no problems with that mission with Agitha, and I didn't even have a five star Tier 2 weapon. So either you people are playing with a severely underleveled Agitha, or you're just terrible at using her.

Thanks for the input.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

RyokoTK posted:

Thanks for the input.

Really, if you're not able to kill the enemies fast enough, just get more levels. Agitha is great at breaking weakpoint with her butterfly combo and her bby is great at juggling officers, while her Weakpoint Break tends to hit huge crowds and does plenty of damage. You can dodge cancel out of most of her animations that leave her open as well.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I tried out Agitha's lv 3 weapon mission too, and man, it felt like whenever I did ANY attack I would be chipped down by like six lizards while I was stuck in attack animations. Guess I don't know how to play Agitha either! I do probably need to level her up, too.

I also tried Zant's lv 3 weapon unlock mission and failed that too, but it was pretty close and I wasn't constantly in tears like with Agitha's. Then I exited to map and realized I hadn't searched to unlock Zant's lv 3 weapon anyway, so even if I HAD completed Zant's level I would've been annoyed and had to redo it!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Eopia posted:

Really, if you're not able to kill the enemies fast enough, just get more levels. Agitha is great at breaking weakpoint with her butterfly combo and her bby is great at juggling officers, while her Weakpoint Break tends to hit huge crowds and does plenty of damage. You can dodge cancel out of most of her animations that leave her open as well.

My Agitha was in her low 50s when I cleared the mission. 50 is high enough for everyone else to clear the hard Adventure Mode missions. She's like level 60-something now and I noticeably struggled with her doing a moderately easy map in Master Quest. I know how to attack with her, she's just not a good character.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

I tried out Agitha's lv 3 weapon mission too, and man, it felt like whenever I did ANY attack I would be chipped down by like six lizards while I was stuck in attack animations. Guess I don't know how to play Agitha either! I do probably need to level her up, too.

I also tried Zant's lv 3 weapon unlock mission and failed that too, but it was pretty close and I wasn't constantly in tears like with Agitha's. Then I exited to map and realized I hadn't searched to unlock Zant's lv 3 weapon anyway, so even if I HAD completed Zant's level I would've been annoyed and had to redo it!

That exact thing happened to me for Zelda's tier2 baton.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

That exact thing happened to me for Zelda's tier2 baton.

My Zelda was in like the mid-40s when I cleared that and I am a doofus baby who fills his diaper with fear at the sight of Ganon and can't even beat him in the Ganondorf fights Ganon level. I guess I must just be good with the Windwaker, but nothing else.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
Most of the characters, in my experience, are pretty good. The only ones I think are lacking are Ghirahim (Has some good stuff against larger enemies, but nothing else about him is really strong and even the former isn't exceptional), Agitha (Except for early combos, super, and the weak point break, she's far too high-risk for too little reward), and Zant, who has a rather unique weakness (crazy overload) that is directly at odds with best Warriors practices, and a lot of moves that are strictly worse than other comparable ones. His best things seem to be his super and his charge combos (as long as you don't overcharge the crazy meter, which is easy to do). Where Agitha is too risky for too little reward, Zant isn't impactful where he needs to be, and has too little elsewhere to make up for it. Zant's problems are a little bit worse than Agitha's overall, and that hurts because he's fun to go wild with.

On the positive side, Even the most vanilla of Link's weapons (the sword) feels all right to use. The Rod is amazing, and The Great Fairy, Ball and Chain and the Horse are still good, but they're behind a little in my opinion because they have a pronounced (albeit not ruinous) weakness. The Ball & Chain and horse are a little awkward, but not near enough to really hurt them as weapons. The Great Fairy moves and acts like she doesn't give a single about what's going on in the battle and just wants to have fun. This is a plus because she acts so casually even when doing massive keep-clearing attacks, and a minus when there's a party in the Allied Base where every captain is invited (because her run is at the speed of most characters' walks), but when's THAT ever going to happen in a Warriors game?

For Lana, Summoning Gate is fun and hilarious, even if it can get really awkward to use. Deku Spear is good for big localized damage, and the Book is good for clearing wide paths.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've only managed to get Zant's tier 2 weapon and a few heart pieces/skulltulas with him so far, but I have found that just ramming the weak attack over and over is actually pretty effective at stomping all over people, and you just break out some of the strong combos if there is an officer dogpile. His levels seem to be set up such that you don't have to clear keeps too quickly and you can always use his special for when you need to speed things up a little. I even did that one with the Imprisoned at the end and the Gold Cucco eating at all the keeps with him (it helps that Impa is quite easily murdered in this level). Ghiranim has grown on me. The range and speed on his weak attacks are good for circling officers and players and whittling them down without danger while you wait for the weak gauge to appear.

I find both of them much easier than Agitha, who is good at clearing the weak point gauge but seems to get pinged just below A rank whenever I try to do anything with her. I am just bad at timing the butterfly for juggling, which seems to be the trick to be good with her.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

deepshock posted:

The Great Fairy moves and acts like she doesn't give a single about what's going on in the battle and just wants to have fun. This is a plus because she acts so casually even when doing massive keep-clearing attacks, and a minus when there's a party in the Allied Base where every captain is invited (because her run is at the speed of most characters' walks), but when's THAT ever going to happen in a Warriors game?

The Great Fairy is totally nuts, but I think that the movement speed is the same as with every other character. It's just that she's so colossally huge, movement FEELS slower, even though it's the same speed.

I know that in, like, World of Warcraft, if you get an effect that shrinks your character, you feel like you're zooming around at superspeed even though you're still moving the same speed. It just LOOKS a different speed because of the different size and perspective.

Now, that said, I haven't actually measured the Great Fairy's speed, so I dunno for sure.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

HJE-Cobra posted:

The Great Fairy is totally nuts, but I think that the movement speed is the same as with every other character. It's just that she's so colossally huge, movement FEELS slower, even though it's the same speed.

I know that in, like, World of Warcraft, if you get an effect that shrinks your character, you feel like you're zooming around at superspeed even though you're still moving the same speed. It just LOOKS a different speed because of the different size and perspective.

Now, that said, I haven't actually measured the Great Fairy's speed, so I dunno for sure.

This is honestly my main complaint about both the Great Fairy and Epona. They both seem to have the same move speed as Link normally does, and this makes them feel much slower than they should.

Edit- Also yeah, I'm terrible at giving advice for games. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 22, 2014

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

That's a really good point. I might not be thinking about single-character scale because I'm not used to differences in it -that massive- within a game like DW.

Also, even with the three characters I found kind of weak, they're not useless. They're just average characters in a roster full of good and great ones. (Well, Zant comes close to useless but even he can still stomp his way through with his Y string and he has his super).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zant is definitely weaker than most of the characters, but it is really fun to play as a screaming clown inside a freaky skull mask. I wish Ghiranim were a little more based on stealth and avoiding attacks to capture the flavor of his Skyward Sword battles, but considering the kind of game Warriors is, they did a pretty good job.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Zant is most effective when you aren't really worrying about weakpoints and are just kind of sweeping up huge groups to nuke them with your special. Try using yyx and keep mashing x until your crazy gauge is full, that's by far the safest combo for building meter. Then use your strong attack spin attack and try to hoover up as many guys as you can, paying special attention to grabbing captains. When it ends, it should drop everybody in front of you at the perfect distance to use your special.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll be honest and say the non-original villain characters are kinda my least favorite to play. Gannondorf feels powerful as hell but he's so vulnerable that I don't like using most of his gimmicks. The other two just don't mesh well with me at all. They're the ones I've been slowest at Adventure Mode with. (Gannondorf aside who can brute force everything.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
We all know that Sheik is really powerful, but I didn't know her having the water shield up ignores the Redead/Gibaro stun attack! I only found out because I forgot to roll away from one and she was still moving.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rirse posted:

We all know that Sheik is really powerful, but I didn't know her having the water shield up ignores the Redead/Gibaro stun attack! I only found out because I forgot to roll away from one and she was still moving.

Wait, really? I very definitely thought it did not!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Just got this a few days ago and could use some friends for network links. NNID is Kaethela. Will also add everyone from the second post.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Rirse posted:

Cia, as well, when you use her strong attack to charge her with dark power she is also immune to knockback, which also means she is immune to redead stuns.

EDIT: Interesting read on Reddit about "Hidden Techniques.". I had no idea you could do things like charge the fire rod's strong attack, do counters, or do special attacks with the gauntlet while holding poo poo.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 22, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

and a minus when there's a party in the Allied Base where every captain is invited (because her run is at the speed of most characters' walks), but when's THAT ever going to happen in a Warriors game?

The correct answer is 'More often than you'd either expect or like'. With the lack of offence from allies and morale often being against you with no way to adjust, enemy pushes can go quite far and further than you'd like. Where you simply think 'Allied base', I also think of any major push down into ally territory, where you have to act somehow to keep it in check.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Best advice I can give for Agitha's rank-3 is to learn to love the boomerang. Not only are most of the enemies in that stage super strong, but they're also clustered together and you're pretty much never going to fight just one captain. Once you've got some of them stunned, try to hit them with either the YYYX tornado or the YYYYX charging beetle moves (and only those moves, they'll start blocking after taking two hits so only hit them with the finishers) so that you can pop them into the air and follow up with a butterfly combo. Throw in specials as you get mobbed or as the enemies cluster together and then more or less just get lucky. The biggest problem with Agitha is that she's not built for speed so that 15 minute time limit got me more often than not.

As for Ghirahim, I've found that his YYYXX combo (ie, dodge canceling before he summons the monsters) is his best bread and butter, especially if you can land the tether first on whichever captain you're fighting.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Bloodly posted:

The correct answer is 'More often than you'd either expect or like'. With the lack of offence from allies and morale often being against you with no way to adjust, enemy pushes can go quite far and further than you'd like.

This is the truth. The question was sarcastic because allied base panic is as much The Warriors Experience as taking down enemies by the hundreds is, and much of Hyrule Warriors's difficulty is represented by battlefield events more than anything else in the series I've played.

deepshock fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 22, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Agitha possesses surprisingly powerful abilities. The Giant Beetle summon hurts a lot if it hits and breaks guard too--and if you make the magic circle, you can roll out of the animation and not be frozen in place, so you can set up another combo or attack another enemy while the beetle smashes dudes. I like to summon it to hit a weak point on a boss, then spam her butterfly launch ability over and over for the multi-hit combos.

Her tornado is one of the better screen clearers, especially since you can combo officers caught in it with the butterfly ride ability, which lasts a decent length and helps put you out of reach of most conventional attacks. Agitha is a very odd character who plays very different from everyone else, but she can offer a lot of interesting things. Ruto is sort of similar, but more straight-forwardly powerful.

Of course, Impa is the best character.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Man, when are they gonna announce the new DLC characters for the upcoming Majora's Mask pack?

My bets are on Tingle and Skull Kid, but Happy Mask Salesman seems like a maybe. I couldn't really see it being anyone else, though with Agitha in the game, who knows. Maybe we'll get the Cucco Lady after all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HJE-Cobra posted:

Man, when are they gonna announce the new DLC characters for the upcoming Majora's Mask pack?

My bets are on Tingle and Skull Kid, but Happy Mask Salesman seems like a maybe. I couldn't really see it being anyone else, though with Agitha in the game, who knows. Maybe we'll get the Cucco Lady after all.

My wish list consists of Skull Kid and...Kafei, for some reason. That's a weird wish.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I'll be honest and say the non-original villain characters are kinda my least favorite to play. Gannondorf feels powerful as hell but he's so vulnerable that I don't like using most of his gimmicks. The other two just don't mesh well with me at all. They're the ones I've been slowest at Adventure Mode with. (Gannondorf aside who can brute force everything.)

I sort of agree with this. While I think they totally nailed Ganondorf in terms of style and feel of his attacks, I think he ends up feeling rather one-note and degenerate in that the majority of the time you end up just wanting to do his basic combo since it has the best flow to it, is safest, and is probably his best damage if weakness breaks aren't an option. He's still my go to guy for any tough maps (though it's turning into Cia of late because drat she's so good).

Zant's problems are well known, but I think Ghirahim gets a bit of a bad rap, including from me before I used him more. His combos are almost all varied, useful, and strong, and his gimmick steers him into an interesting play style. His specials and breaks are also good, so he ends up being unique and well rounded, with good flow and a fun overall style.

If I weren't phone posting I'd write up a big dumb effort post nobody wants to read on how I think the various weapons and characters hit or miss the mark. Maybe if I get bored tonight I will.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't get a handle on Cia yet, I keep accidentally using her strong attack instead of finishing a combo for some reason. I'm sure it's jut a minor timing issue that I'll get used to if I use her more often.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

HJE-Cobra posted:

The Twilight Princess pack is up first, so not for a while.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeto, Renado, Mayor Bo, Malo, Darbus or Barnes would all be cool additions. My guess is that it's probably going to be Telma or one of the crew in her bar, though. I just hope that the weapon goes to somebody besides Link, I can barely use all the ones he has already!

edit: the spinner as a weapon, but for Midna :getin:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hope new adventure maps are styled after different games. I'd love to see a LTTP or Link's Awakening board with new sprites to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

I hope new adventure maps are styled after different games. I'd love to see a LTTP or Link's Awakening board with new sprites to match.

Other cosmetic changes would be nice too. Maybe have Oocoos replace some of the cuccos, add a few more officers for those of us who are tired of the fiery aerolfos squeal, or even another map besides the ones we already had from legendary mode.

• Locked thread