Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You can't cure cancer if you haven't got Alarm Disarming. There's a few other doors in the game that need it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Taear posted:

You can't cure cancer if you haven't got Alarm Disarming. There's a few other doors in the game that need it too.

yes you can? that door doesn't have an alarm.

character creation: do not give a character more than one weapon skill - that is a waste of points. have one (or more) sniper(s). brawling is better than either melee skill.

don't take barter. also an EARLY npc you can recruit has hardass/outdoorsman/brutal force so you can skip those (for now! later... well you'll see).

if you make a rogue char give then both lockpicking/safecracking

it would be useful to give any character you give perception to demolition as well.

you can skip animal whisperer though a few quests do rely on it.

as for attributes: speed is king, luck is a dump stat, charisma is too (although a high AVERAGE charisma is useful for recruiting). try and maximize AP/combat speed/initiative - but try and have at least 9AP, preferably 10. Also 4int is really the minimum for that attribute.

also as a tip - there are skill books in the game, don't use them immediately, wait until you have a skill at or above level 6 as later levels cost more points.

also you don't have to spend points - even in the character creation screen! and sometimes it's useful not too

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Taear posted:

You can't cure cancer if you haven't got Alarm Disarming.

You can actually get through that map with 0 kills and 0 Alarm Disarm.

I sent one guy through the vent and had them open the door, triggering the alarm. It takes the mutants a moment to actually close the distance and start combat, but I had instantly turned around and run back through the vent. Then I gave the game a couple minutes for the alarm to time out and the mutant to drift back to their patrol spots. Then I sent the guy back through the vent and had him dash up and slam the cure in the quest computer. Victory!

:c00l:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Regarding a starting team, do NOT put points into heavy weapons, they're complete garbage until the second half of the game. Even with a luck of 10 and a 2% jam chance they're pretty crap.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Regarding a starting team, do NOT put points into heavy weapons, they're complete garbage until the second half of the game. Even with a luck of 10 and a 2% jam chance they're pretty crap.

Yeah Assault Rifles are probably the best weapons in the game. The complete (and baffling) lack of modibility of heavy weapons also really really hurts them. Basically the devs seemed to think heavies were very powerful and gave them a bunch of nerfs, when in fact they barely hold up versus ARs and snipers.

Also note that rocket launchers are not heavy weapons, they're a disposable consumable that anyone can use equally. This is never explained in game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yeah Assault Rifles are probably the best weapons in the game. The complete (and baffling) lack of modibility of heavy weapons also really really hurts them. Basically the devs seemed to think heavies were very powerful and gave them a bunch of nerfs, when in fact they barely hold up versus ARs and snipers.

Also note that rocket launchers are not heavy weapons, they're a disposable consumable that anyone can use equally. This is never explained in game.

If rocket launchers and/or other explosive ordnance used the heavy weapons skill that might make it more useful. Grenades are extremely helpful, but right now they're balanced so that they're somewhat expensive/rare in exchange for perfect armor penetration, AoE, and perfect accuracy. If they were a lot more common but required heavy weapons skill to get the most out of them (maybe a cut-off system? 1 heavy weapons skill: can throw dynamite. 2 heavy weapons skill: can throw pipe bombs. 4 heavy weapons skill: can throw grenades / fire LAWs. 6 heavy weapons skill: can fire sabots. 8 heavy weapons skill: can fire RPG-7s. 10 heavy weapons skill: MYSTERY PRIZE, or something? Maybe give the player stun effects / armor penetration bonuses on interstitial levels) then heavy weapons would be a useful skill. Currently there is really really anything better than 7x assault rifle headshot burstfiring everything everywhere.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Yeah having explosives fall under heavy weapons would make the skill a lot better, but god drat does unarmed become amazing especially since the unarmed weapons are added to your damage and at 10 ranks it always crits and the upchucker crits for 5x damage, it gets pretty ridiculous.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

received my boxed copy of wasteland 2 a few minutes ago
2 dvds, game manual*, and a rayon-lycra fabric map were in the box.
box size is(HxWxD) 20.5cm x 25.5cm x 3.5cm.

*steam license key on the back of the WL2 manual.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sell me your map

Also, as for character creation, I have to say:

I always take bartering skills in CRPGs; even though they are always called useless I usually end up feeling like my hoard-and-sell playstyle fits well with them.

And the barter skill here seems so weak (on paper at least) that I just could not bring myself to want it. 10% as the highest discount? Ugh. I grant it is possible that higher barter skills unlock additional inventory, because that is the kind of thing I can see them doing, but if not then I really do not see its value, which again is saying a lot for me.

Maybe a barter of 10 lets you buy bandits' guns while they try to use them on you.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Quarex posted:

Sell me your map

You... you didn't get a map?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Bartering would be cool if it'd influence merchant stock. Makes sense too, fictitious merchants generally have some special stock they carry for special customers. Heck, not just what tiers of weapons a merchant sells, but also straight up unique weapons/items, perhaps one per merchant on a set amount of bartering. Could've allowed for some fun weapons with condition effects, especially if condition effects would've been stronger or more meaningful.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

You... you didn't get a map?

quarex wants to keep his collectors edition boxed copy of Wasteland 2 shrinkwrapped & forever unopened.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Quarex posted:

Sell me your map

Also, as for character creation, I have to say:

I always take bartering skills in CRPGs; even though they are always called useless I usually end up feeling like my hoard-and-sell playstyle fits well with them.

And the barter skill here seems so weak (on paper at least) that I just could not bring myself to want it. 10% as the highest discount? Ugh. I grant it is possible that higher barter skills unlock additional inventory, because that is the kind of thing I can see them doing, but if not then I really do not see its value, which again is saying a lot for me.

Maybe a barter of 10 lets you buy bandits' guns while they try to use them on you.

If inXile more strictly limited certain tiers of gear to certain levels of progression and barter allowed you to jump the fence a bit then it would be killer. Imagine if the only way you could feasibly get the M-16 before California was if you had at least a certain amount of barter?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

tuluk posted:

quarex wants to keep his collectors edition boxed copy of Wasteland 2 shrinkwrapped & forever unopened.
These mans speaked the truths.

I am not sure if I would have the strength to open any copy. Certainly not mine. If I open mine, then MINE IS REAL AND IT HAPPENED AND IS NOW DONE

I should probably open my collector's edition of Divinity: Original Sin, though.

Also I like the barter suggestions here, though gating off equipment in games is often bad. It is hard enough when you cannot wear the armor.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Quarex posted:

These mans speaked the truths.

I am not sure if I would have the strength to open any copy. Certainly not mine. If I open mine, then MINE IS REAL AND IT HAPPENED AND IS NOW DONE

I should probably open my collector's edition of Divinity: Original Sin, though.

Sorry, Quarex, but it's going to be really annoying when the bombs fall, you open that arcade, and the one game no one gets to play is Wasteland 2 because the last surviving copy is your unopenable one. Think of the future!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dibujante posted:

Sorry, Quarex, but it's going to be really annoying when the bombs fall, you open that arcade, and the one game no one gets to play is Wasteland 2 because the last surviving copy is your unopenable one. Think of the future!

That's why I shot him and stole everything I could :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dibujante posted:

I AM THINKING OF THE FUTURE, MY UNOPENABLE COPY WILL BE THE ONLY ONE THAT MADE IT

Also I legitimately laughed out loud at the quote along the lines of "Marble Madness? Is this some kind of warning?"

Poor Quarex though :( I imagine basically any NPC who is alone with valuable items is probably not safe around YOU BUTCHERS

BOBBY WAS RIGHT

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I left you alive, Quarex. I left you alive.

EDIT: I did, however, kill Bobby.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I didn't kill you either, Quarex. :unsmith:

I mean, jeeze, we're the Desert Rangers. We don't go around murdering civilians for a little bit of loot.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

upchucker crits for 5x damage

It does whaaaaat?

oh no where did I sell you

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Reclaimer posted:

It does whaaaaat?

oh no where did I sell you

It only has 3 armor penetration and costs 5 AP to use, you can buy a glove that has 7 armor penetration, costs 3 AP and crits for 3.2(I think), so the upchucker is good situationally, but it's not the best brawling weapon by any means.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think barter is a party skill so you can stack it beyond 10. Never tested this though because its worthless anyway.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

One thing I think that'd help out heavy weapons is if they had more of them in the first half of the game, I've found one upgrade from the starting heavy weapon and my team is at the prison.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
All I know is that once I realized rocket launchers weren't heavy weapons, and I could use them freely, all I could think was: "Heh, glad I didn't get suckered into wasting any skillpoint on that."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fintilgin posted:

All I know is that once I realized rocket launchers weren't heavy weapons, and I could use them freely, all I could think was: "Heh, glad I didn't get suckered into wasting any skillpoint on that."
I think I used one on a door once and it didn't do poo poo and I gave up on them entirely - I assumed they'd need skill for combat use as well but enemies tend to close and cluster with my party so quickly it's kinda suicidal to use them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I think I used one on a door once and it didn't do poo poo and I gave up on them entirely - I assumed they'd need skill for combat use as well but enemies tend to close and cluster with my party so quickly it's kinda suicidal to use them.

Open every fight with an RPG-7 blast. You always get at least one shot off then.

edit: also, explosive weapons are so surgically accurate that you can use them in melee as long as you position the explosion radius right. Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed that explosive weapons seem tacked on and not integrated into the skill system the way all other weapons are.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fintilgin posted:

I mean, jeeze, we're the Desert Rangers. We don't go around murdering civilians for a little bit of loot.

I'm not sure you quite get this whole Desert Ranger business. Entering a location and shooting people until things turn in our favour is pretty much our modus operandi.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
That and opening lots of containers and locked safes with bombs on them.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

That and opening lots of containers and locked safes with bombs on them.

Killing a civilian with a safe-opening stick of dynamite is just opening two loot containers for the price of one.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
All right, so one complaint I have as of a second playthrough is how inane the questions are. You get the 'what is [etc]?' multiple times in the area, with no modifications. I get that it's kind of and/or a serious pain to vary questions based on whether or not you asked someone else, and requires a lot of additional lines of dialogue depending on who you you asked/what answer you got, but it's a little grating, especially when you might get quest-related dialogue by asking [inane question] for the fiftieth time.

It's a minor gripe, overall, and I've seen it in other games, but it's really glaring in this one. Honestly, even if the dialogue line turned out to be 'I've heard of [whatever]. Mind giving me your take on it?' as opposed to the constant copy-paste of 'What do you think of [x]?' would've been a little better.

Really, the only sense of personality you get in dialogue is with the *rear end skills.

I know it's not really a priority over gameplay and what-have-you, but it makes the storyline way less engaging/funny/interesting for me personally. I'm still having fun even on a second playthrough, though, so, again, it's a minor gripe.

EDIT: Also, there was some comment made in character creation how gender didn't actually impact anything stat-wise, it just changed peoples' reactions to you on occasion. Has anyone actually run into this? I mean, I have (or, when Angela was around, had) a pretty much all-lady party at the moment, but in a prior run I had a couple dudes following me around, and switching up the front-man in dialogue never did anything, even on people where you'd think it would.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 23, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would say that Weaponsmithing is more "Essential" than merely "Good" because especially in the early parts of the game it makes a big difference to fully kit out your weapons so that they never jam and can shoot further. SMGs are pretty bad without mods, but with mods they are very good for early on. Later your SMG ranger can switch to Energy Weapons and never look back.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I recommend mixing up skills so you don't have typical archetypes. None of the skills affect eachother, so you can go for neat combinations like a charismatic safecracking leader (AR/Kiss-rear end/Safecracking/Leadership), or give Scotchmo barter and imagine that the smell makes merchants want him to go away.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

people wondering why the physical items are taking so long to be collected & shipped out to kickstarter backers:
my non-collectors edition boxed copy shipped from Koch Media GMBH aka Deep Silver in Osterreich, Austria.
definitely explains why Deep Silver/Koch Media GMBH wasn't able to give solid shipping dates or tracking info.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Wait, rocket launchers aren't heavy??? What are you going to tell me next, that using TNT isn't Demolition? :aaa:

Still don't regret having Heavy as a secondary combat skill - I've been lugging this machinegun around for 20 hours and used it precisely TWICE, but both times it was devastating and managed to turn the tide of battle. Assault rifles rule though, and Sniper rifles aren't much worse. Spreading all combat and other skills among my party caused me to have two super useful Geniuses who save the day in and out of battle, and two slackers who are too short-range in combat to be of any use (enemies die before they get a chance to engage them) and whose skills never come in handy (Med, Surgeon, Animal, Bruteforce, Social). Lack of use for social skills is kind of weird: I'm already in Rail Nomads, and these 3 skills have come up, what, five times? But it's all good, I've yet to meet any skill check I would fail. The key is to keep a bunch of skill points always on hand so you can invest immediately whenever you really need some skill.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 23, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, there's no shame in editing your save file to give one or two of your Rangers 10 in Strength just so you aren't constantly Encumbered because holy crap there are times when you go hours and hours without seeing a merchant (unless you specifically backtrack which also takes forever).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rocket Launchers are amazing. I instantly won a fight with like 12 in in Hollywood because they were all clustered together before combat.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

JawKnee posted:

if you make a rogue char give then both lockpicking/safecracking
Really? I was separating "open-this-thing" skills like lockpicking and safecracking and computer science between different rangers because it seemed like a real skill point burden for one person to try to keep more than one of them at high levels. Are there situations where you absolutely need one person to have both of those?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know how you nerds have enough free weight/money to buy rocket launchers freely :(

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

woodenchicken posted:

Wait, rocket launchers aren't heavy??? What are you going to tell me next, that using TNT isn't Demolition? :aaa:

Demolition is used exclusively for making things not blow up. It's more 'Non-Demolition'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Trilobite posted:

Really? I was separating "open-this-thing" skills like lockpicking and safecracking and computer science between different rangers because it seemed like a real skill point burden for one person to try to keep more than one of them at high levels. Are there situations where you absolutely need one person to have both of those?

All you have to do is make sure that no one Ranger (especially if they have less than 10 INT) is focusing on more than a couple-few skills. It's been said before but it's a good idea to go:

One Ranger with 4 INT: One weapon skill (Assault Rifle or Sniper), Leadership, Demolitions
One Ranger with 8 INT: Two weapon skills (SMG, Energy Weapon), Weaponsmithing, something else (*rear end, Safecracking)
One Ranger with 8 INT: Two weapon skills (Brawling/Melee/Shotgun, pick two), Surgeon, Field Medic
One Ranger with 10 INT: One weapon skill (Sniper), Computer Science, whatever else (Toaster Repair, *rear end, etc)

If you don't get Vulture's Cry, slap Perception on Rose.

Congrats, the first half of the game should be a cakewalk with this setup.

• Locked thread