Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

I'm doing much better now, thanks.

I'd say so! drat son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

how many avatars has viggen gotten in the last 24hrs?

3, I think.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

I mean I don't like Saabs either, but that's a little strong, yeah?

(whatever it was I missed it)

it was a pictures of this dude

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

I like this one. Made me go "what did I do now?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Solved my computer's periodic overheating it's been doing the last few days, apparently the heat sink screws vibrated slightly loose.

So what sort of loctite should I be using for these? Blue might work, but I might go with red since it's a heated application. :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What did you do right. That list will be much shorter ;)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd dab a little blue on it personally. red might seize that fucker on till you torch the cpu.

speaking of hardware. I replaced the broken usb ports on my machine this evening, and scrubbed the heatsink while I was at it. First time in gently caress knows when this thing has had 3 functional usb ports.

...now it needs a SSD.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My PC has just been occasionally shutting off. It goes into the Windows did not shut down properly screen when I turn it back on, so it's not like Windows update is shutting it down. I'm trying to figure out why :homebrew:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My PC has just been occasionally shutting off. It goes into the Windows did not shut down properly screen when I turn it back on, so it's not like Windows update is shutting it down. I'm trying to figure out why :homebrew:

Power supply? I'd throw in another one just for testing, see how that goes. Especially if it's not a high-dollar name-brand one.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Power supply? I'd throw in another one just for testing, see how that goes. Especially if it's not a high-dollar name-brand one.

I replaced the drat power supply about a year ago... Come to think of it, I think it was doing something similar back then! gently caress!

This has not been a great week for me, electricity-wise.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Solved my computer's periodic overheating it's been doing the last few days, apparently the heat sink screws vibrated slightly loose.

So what sort of loctite should I be using for these? Blue might work, but I might go with red since it's a heated application. :v:

I've been trying to figure out why my comp is suddenly lagging like a bitch in BF4 and now that you mention this I just realised it's probably due to be dusted.

:v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

I've been trying to figure out why my comp is suddenly lagging like a bitch in BF4 and now that you mention this I just realised it's probably due to be dusted.

:v:

Get GPU-Z and check your card temps. I figured out something was wrong when one sensor was 30 degrees C higher than the other two, and when I pushed the heat sink/fan down (up, actually, but w/e) onto the card the sensor reading shot up to 104 and the fan kicked to max speed. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I replaced the drat power supply about a year ago... Come to think of it, I think it was doing something similar back then! gently caress!

This has not been a great week for me, electricity-wise.

Buy a Seasonic Platinum-series; they've got a 7-year warranty you probably won't need.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

Buy a Seasonic Platinum-series; they've got a 7-year warranty you probably won't need.

Or a Corsair, which is manufactured by Seasonic.

Or go down to Halted and get a $15 400W generic that might last a couple more years. :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
The past few pages have been entirely too much discussion about Viggen's Av and not enough about buying that Sonnet. Those cars are easily the best looking Saab ever made and in my opinion and just plain drat good looking!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

Or a Corsair, which is manufactured by Seasonic.

Or go down to Halted and get a $15 400W generic that might last a couple more years. :v:

Some Corsairs are manufactured by Seasonic. Some others are made by some no-name OEM and blow up as soon as you're not looking.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

Some Corsairs are manufactured by Seasonic. Some others are made by some no-name OEM and blow up as soon as you're not looking.

Well, OK. A TX or HX series, the only Corsairs you should be buying anyway. Or do they do some bullshit where they multi-source within a product line?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So went back to work today. Everything was fine until I looked at the schedule.

Not only have I been cut back to 10 hours a week, I've been scheduled for Sunday at 8-loving-AM for some mandatory meeting poo poo. I'm still at my other job at that point, and Sundays are also when I help my mom do stuff like shopping since she can't get around so well. My availability is Tue-Sat, and has been for nearly a year.

I had the shift manager pull up my availability in the computer - turns out the former GM never bothered entering it, just kept it in his head. :argh:

New GM and I are going to have a little talk about my reduction in hours as well. Also, nearly the entire kitchen crew had walked out in the past week, and a good chunk of the front of house is also gone. Assistant manager told me to work my normal schedule if I want, come in early if I want, stay late if I want, as they're suddenly a little shorthanded.

I called my old boss bitching - he told me "put in your 2 weeks notice; after your last day, I'll hire you at my new store - that way we don't have to deal with the bullshit of a transfer". Since I'm only scheduled 2 shifts this week anyway, I'm gonna see if I can go check out my old boss's new store and see what the delivery area is like.

bandman posted:

Prodigy -> Compuserve -> AOL -> Mindspring/Earthlink (first DSL connection)-> BellSouth/AT&T U-verse, which is what they have now.

I definitely don't remember my Prodigy login, but...

Prodigy -> Local BBS's -> local freenet -> "ISP" operated out of a friend's apartment with 6 modems and a couple of ISDN lines -> first real ISP (long defunct) -> move to DFW -> Applink (local ISP, long gone) -> Internet America -> @Home -> whoever got their assets -> Comcast -> Charter -> Time Warner -> Verizon DSL -> dorm internet (uplink was Charter and went down more than a thai ladyboi) -> Time Warner -> Verizon Fios -> Time Warner -> Verizon Fios.

I'm probably missing a few in there.

Viggen posted:

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. *flips shades, then car*

Yeah I think you've already flipped enough cars.

kastein posted:

Same. So I keep my previous prescription around for shop usage/concerts. Who really cares if those ones get stepped on? They're really drat close, in fact everything except the axis of my astigmatism is the same, and that's only a couple degrees off either way.

I now own 4 current pairs of glasses. At ~$25/pair ($40 for the sunglasses), who the gently caress cares if one gets broken.

I usually leave my glasses in the car if I'm gonna be in a pit though.

Cat Terrist posted:

Viggen's new AV makes me physically ill to view.

Jesus christ you mean that's an actual avatar? I thought he actually earned another probation until I saw your post, then checked his rap sheet.

Raluek posted:

Well, OK. A TX or HX series, the only Corsairs you should be buying anyway. Or do they do some bullshit where they multi-source within a product line?

I actually have a CX series (it was on sale okay). 2 1/2 years out of it so far, voltage regulation is still rock solid.

..... until I fire up something really graphics intensive. Then it powers down after a few minutes. :smith: But to be fair, it's only a 500 watt, with a video card that lists "400 watt minimum power supply that can supply at least 20 amps on the 12V rail", and I'm sure that between the CPU, HDDs, and fans, I'm sucking down far more than 500 watts at that point.

A new PSU, along with a much larger HDD, are both on the list.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

@Home -> whoever got their assets

If it's anything like where I grew up in California, it was attbi (AT&T Broadband Internet).

..... until I fire up something really graphics intensive. Then it powers down after a few minutes. :smith: But to be fair, it's only a 500 watt, with a video card that lists "400 watt minimum power supply that can supply at least 20 amps on the 12V rail", and I'm sure that between the CPU, HDDs, and fans, I'm sucking down far more than 500 watts at that point.

Usually those specs will give you what they expect the whole system to pull, not just the video card. It's for a "yeah I have that" sanity check, not a realistic figure for the card's power consumption by itself. What card is it? Generally the hardware review places will publish a figure for total system power consumption with the card running at full tilt.

E: VVV They are usually conservative specifications. :shobon:

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

EVGA Geforce GTX 650 Ti SSC 2GB - basically the massively factory overclocked version with a warranty.

The specs on the video card box mention they're assuming an i7 @ 3.2 GHz (I assume a 1st gen i7 at that speed). I have a Sandy Bridge i5 slightly overclocked to 4.4 GHz.

Also 3 HDDs, 1 SSD, 120mm CPU fan, 3 120mm case fans.

edit: Anandtech claims the 1GB version pulls 254 watts full tilt. My CPU pulls 73 watts at stock speeds (no telling how much with the overclock I have; we'll go with 100). Figure 5 watts or so per fan to be safe (probably a little less), 25 watts per 7200 RPM HDD (3 of them), SSD uses less than 1 watt. And we're not even factoring in the RAM at this point (8GB of DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance).

That's 444 watts right there. And all of it is on the 12V rail. The 12V rail on this PSU is rated 34 amps, which works out to 408 watts. Even at stock speeds with this CPU, that's still 417 watts. :stonk: No wonder it shuts down when I play Crysis.

After doing that math, I'm loving amazed I haven't popped this thing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 22, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mat_Drinks posted:

The past few pages have been entirely too much discussion about Viggen's Av and not enough about buying that Sonnet. Those cars are easily the best looking Saab ever made and in my opinion and just plain drat good looking!

Yeah it's quite a nice looking car. Maybe the only Saab I've liked. I don't recall seeing one in a long time.
edit: Also, a V4.

Viggen posted:

Well, she's gonna need some work..

(cleek)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm getting really sick of this insane appetite.

Steaming some broccoli and carrots now, so at least I'm snacking healthy (.. this time). Gonna toss them in olive oil with fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt. Then cover in cheese, since Texas.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember one time I got super swine flu or whatever and was crossing my fingers that my appetite would stay gone after I got better. Haha, yeah right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, I've already found the 10 pounds I lost... plus a couple. :sigh:

I probably ruined the health benefits by adding the cheese, but the veggies are steamed to perfection, tossed in olive oil, with fresh cracked pepper and a tiny pinch of sea salt.

It's loving delicious. I really need to cook more..

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been working out a lot for the past 3 months but my weight is about the same. On the other hand my BP is down a lot so...I've accomplished something?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You'll gain weight before losing weight when you work out, for at least a month (sometimes more) before your body even thinks about shedding an ounce. Muscle weighs more than fat. And you'll work up more of an appetite when working out - the key i've found to reducing how much I eat is just eating really slow and drinking a lot of water.

I think I finally have enough energy to start jogging again, or at least walking - I made it through work without feeling weak last night. My BP has been through the roof even with meds (150/100 during the day, 140/80 at night, on average); I had gotten it down to 120/70 and a resting pulse in the 70s just from jogging a few times a week. My gym membership (along with netflix, and cable, etc) is on hold at the moment since I've missed so much work, but it's so beautiful outside that I'd much rather run outside anyway. Need to figure out where I put my arm strap for my phone, but at least I know where my Bluetooth heart monitor is.

e: nailed it. just checked, 141/80, pulse of 85.
e2: forgot the lancet holder thing (whatever you call it, I call it the pricker) when I went to work. The :gonk: looks I got when I just took a bare lancet and poked my finger with it to check my blood sugar... priceless. People seem to think it hurts horribly even with the pricker, but if you have the depth set right, you don't feel anything except the pressure of the pricker against your finger. And supposedly the one I use (Bayer Microlet2) is one of the more painful ones. :iiam:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 22, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I digitized a Saturn commercial I found on a VHS tape. Palpek (in YOSPOS) made avatars from it for whoever needs them.

Palpek posted:

a gang of automative insanity goons should get these

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I always did like the SC. Especially the first gen with pop up lights.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Viggen posted:

Do you have somewhere to store it for a few weeks months?

E: Road trip estimate: 41h 2,733 miles

That is a pretty conservative estimate, too. If I tried to do that in the exploder, it'd be at least 60 hours out and probably 80 back.

uShip estimates nearly as much as the cars' cost for shipping, too. Bah.

E2: Oh hey avatard. I'm so glad I made pizza for lunch. :zombie:

if you can plate it Ill let you keep in front of my house for a few weeks. safe neighbor hood no car thefts also it will be hanging with a 70's celica across the street.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Glucose meter is flashing "high blood sugar" in big red (ok, orange) letters again.

It's not (quite) as high as last time we played the "can STR break 300?" game, at least. But it's got me feeling like absolute poo poo.

Feeling bad enough that I called the hospital to ask at what number someone should go in for hyperglycemia - "we're not allowed to give medical advice over the phone, particularly something that specific. But if you start feeling worse, find a ride or call an ambulance". Thanks guys, thanks.

Gonna go talk to my doctor this week about insulin, or stronger meds. My medication list is limited to generics if I want to keep my monthly med costs at $0-5 per med, so insulin would likely be cheaper. And I've gotten so used to tiny pricks that an insulin needle doesn't bother me.

October chat thread: STR is used to tiny pricks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Feeling bad enough that I called the hospital to ask at what number someone should go in for hyperglycemia - "we're not allowed to give medical advice over the phone, particularly something that specific. But if you start feeling worse, find a ride or call an ambulance". Thanks guys, thanks.

Sometimes health insurance have nurse hotlines you can call for advice.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

I actually have a CX series (it was on sale okay). 2 1/2 years out of it so far, voltage regulation is still rock solid.

I need to upgrade my desktop. My Crossfire Radeon 6870's are a bit long in the tooth. And my AMD 955Black runs way too hot. This past summer I couldn't really use my computer because it got too hot and would shut down (I don't have central AC in my house). I don't have anything overclocked, and I dust it regularly. My power supply should be fine its a XFX PRO750W Core Edition.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 220 days!)

Torn Quad Jones posted:

if you can plate it Ill let you keep in front of my house for a few weeks. safe neighbor hood no car thefts also it will be hanging with a 70's celica across the street.

Thanks for that offer- I'm still trying to get it figured out. I thought I could just say 'screw it, ship it', but my best quote so far is $2k. :gonk:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Mine is a Corsair CX430M, I bought Corsair specifically thinking "well hopefully this one won't poo poo out after a year or two" but it did. I don't think I kept the box with the warranty information :suicide:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Yeah, I've already found the 10 pounds I lost... plus a couple. :sigh:

I probably ruined the health benefits by adding the cheese, but the veggies are steamed to perfection, tossed in olive oil, with fresh cracked pepper and a tiny pinch of sea salt.

It's loving delicious. I really need to cook more..

I'm in life to lose it seems so give no fucks generally...

But take care of yourself.
For things like broccoli and carrots, do some Asian stir fry type stuff with soy and sesame. (e: or roast them with balsamic vinegar, garlic and pine nuts, chuck some fresh real beetroot in there too) extra edit: or try some Worcestershire sauce on them)
For veg like pumpkin and cauliflower look up some Indian spiced type recipes.
You'll never feel that a meal needs cheese again.

E: nerd chat, TX460W corsairs were the last PSUs I bought, still fine now 4-5 years later.

I know all about terrible PSUs, most of the ones I had from 2004-2009 were bad. Filled with fake branded capacitors or crap name brand ones like fuhjyyu. drat fuhjyyus filled my antec and tagan PSUs, which often failed and ruined motherboards, RAM, and/or graphics. Never buy a PSU without a lot of research.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Gamergate perfectly summed up by an onion sister site: http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241

edit:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mine is a Corsair CX430M, I bought Corsair specifically thinking "well hopefully this one won't poo poo out after a year or two" but it did. I don't think I kept the box with the warranty information :suicide:

I've been using the same coolermaster 550w ps for the past 8 years, bought it right on the cusp of the atx mb power module change.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

keykey posted:

Gamergate perfectly summed up by an onion sister site: http://www.clickhole.com/article/summary-gamergate-movement-we-will-immediately-cha-1241

edit:

I've been using the same coolermaster 550w ps for the past 8 years, bought it right on the cusp of the atx mb power module change.

Same here. COolermaster RealPower Pro 550. It's the only thing I've kept constant in my PC the last 7 years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have a Corsair 750 watt in my workstation, has held up pretty well

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread