Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ninjahedgehog posted:

This always worth reposting:

EDIT: Incidentally, browsing through the Ask/Tell pregnancy thread brings up a few gems too. I'm not going to point fingers, but Jesus Christ some goons have horrible taste.

Jesus, even her handwriting is obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

stubblyhead posted:

Jesus, even her handwriting is obnoxious.

That kid is born now, by the way. Lakynn is probably walking by now, or at least knows how to pull-to-stand.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Mescal posted:

Gaius Junius is really good.

All I can hear is someone singing "Dr Gaius Dr Gaius" now :(

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ninjahedgehog posted:

Uptight white people love to make fun of stereotypical "black" names, but for my money these are so much worse.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
McKarty always stood out to me as the cruelest name on that list.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

McKarty always stood out to me as the cruelest name on that list.

All these "Mc" names are tied with the "-aiden" names for the most awful. I know so many McKennas, McKaylas and McKenzies. What's worse is when it gets unique'd up even more like McKharleigh or something.

It's like the parents are too special to just use the letter "a", but not willing to commit to an apostrophe. Plus the "Mc" instantly screams "Last Name".

I'm a guy with a last name for a first name, so I know first hand how fun that is. I'm thankful every day it's not a misspelled abomination though.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

It reminded me of what popped up on my FB:

This lady's surname translates to half-pansy.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: Incidentally, browsing through the Ask/Tell pregnancy thread brings up a few gems too. I'm not going to point fingers, but Jesus Christ some goons have horrible taste.

My wife is from a very rural area. Good people, but some redneck "pagan" from her high school named their kid REIGNBEAUX.

Rain. Bow.

That's worse than an alt spelling of Navy in my book.

De Nomolos has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Oct 23, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"Nayvie" is my favorite on that list. I can't decide whether it would be worse or better if the kid's parents had no connection to the Navy whatsoever.

"We're naming her Nayvie after Daddy's, like, job! But like WAY cuter spelling."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

"Nayvie" is my favorite on that list. I can't decide whether it would be worse or better if the kid's parents had no connection to the Navy whatsoever.

"We're naming her Nayvie after Daddy's, like, job! But like WAY cuter spelling."

I picture it having to do with the color. First, long ago, there was Violet. Recently there's been Indigo. I think they're just working through the rainbow. I'll name my kid Infrared so we can all be done with it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I wonder if any reporters have ever tracked that woman down to ask her how she feels about being loathed on the internet.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Guy Troben

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I don't get it, is it a dialect thing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The White Dragon posted:

I don't get it, is it a dialect thing?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506614&userid=122025

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Lookass.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Honestly thought he had way more posts than this. Was there an older version of this thread I'm remembering?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Lotish posted:

Honestly thought he had way more posts than this. Was there an older version of this thread I'm remembering?

I thought the same thing, but this thread has been around longer than I have, so I guess not.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

He's been doing this constantly since the thread started. Would that I had so much free time!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Wayne owns.

Also, there's a lady nearby that just turned 100. Her name is Leathel Archer. She celebrated with a couple of cold ones at the nursing home. She owns too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

bringmyfishback posted:

He's been doing this constantly since the thread started. Would that I had so much free time!

28 one-sentence-or-less posts in 2 years?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Don't forget how much time he spends looking for people with unusual names.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

28 one-sentence-or-less posts in 2 years?

Okay, he is very funny and the best and his contribution to this thread has actually been TOO small. Whatever you want, man.

To actually post on topic:

The Random Consonant-ayden naming trend has hit South Korea. Yesterday I met three kids whose English names were Jayden, Hayden, and Zaydan (pronounced like "Zayden" but with that spelling.)

And on that note, one of my students chose the "English name" of Predic. I stared at it for a good long while before I realized his mom was trying to say "Frederick."

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Oct 26, 2014

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it's fair to lump Hayden in with those two, that's a legit name. I know plenty of Haydens.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Schwa posted:

I don't think it's fair to lump Hayden in with those two, that's a legit name. I know plenty of Haydens.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Hayden was a weird name. That's why I only bolded Zaydan.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
There was a woman in the paper a few days ago complaining that a school had acted unfairly by asking her to cover her tattoos while working there at as a teaching assistant.
One of her children was called RayGan, complete with the random capitalisation. RayGan was a four year old girl.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!
Somehow never saw this thread before. Anyway, I had a European customer the other day pay with his credit card only to notice his name was:

Semen Fagenboym.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Keel. Poor kid.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Overheard at the mall: Jafar

BrightestCrayon
Jun 13, 2009
I recently started working as a substitute teacher in my hometown and good lord there are some children with just awful names. Some favorites include:
Cleopatra and Nefertitti (sisters)
Demilynn
Zuleyle
Jezikah Blizz (Jessica Bliss)
and every -aden known to man.

But my absolute favorite is a very tiny 6th grade boy named Mega Win, pronounced Meegah.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Krenten :stonk:

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I teach a 16 year old boy named Eden Sunflower.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
There is a guy from India who I occasionally exchange e-mails with whose name is "A. Wankhede", because of Indian naming convention Wankhede is his given name. Perfectly normal name for where he's from but rather unfortunate when dealing with Westerners. On at least one occasion he's had a travel booking cancelled by a hotel because they didn't believe the name.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Breezy Cox.

'Breezy' is her real, full first name and not a nickname.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Best name today is Santa Bravo.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Lotish posted:

I want to change my handle now

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bringmyfishback posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Hayden was a weird name. That's why I only bolded Zaydan.

Jayden is pretty loving awful, too, but I think my opinion has been colored by the way that I've never met a child with one of the -ayden names that wasnt a little poo poo.

If they remade the Omen today, the kid would be named Brayden and I would be all "that is a perfect name for the antichrist, I agree".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Appearing in Pacific Rim 2?

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest
New born kid of a former coworker.

Chimera.

I really wanted to ask if the kid was so hideous at birth that naming her after a monster was appropriate.

And if so, why not Hydra, Cerebrus or Cyclops?

Edit: I forgot Gorgon and Medusa.

Mr. Welfare has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

At the ER with my mom. One of the patient care techs is named "Kissy".