Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

KomradeX posted:

Though poo poo like liberals trusting the Economist, The Wall Street Journal really shows you whats wrong with Liberals

Judging by the chart I think it comes down to liberals in most cases are willing to say they trust most news sources that at least do some actual reporting and aren't entirely shills while solid conservatives only trust outlets that are completely shills to their cause, and have lukewarm support for anything that isn't part of the lamesteam liberal media in America(Have these poll respondents ever actually read The Guardian?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ninjasaurus posted:

D&D hates conservatives, centrists, liberals, Democrats, Republicans, Independents and every other political party/ideology. It's the perfect encapsulation of that quote from Homer Simpson: "Everyone is stupid except me."

D&D hates Democrats, Republicans,Independents and American centrists and liberals, because, without fail, they almost all are some flavor of corporatist or conservative or both. If you note, D&D loves, for the most part, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, because they actually espouse left wing values and fight for them.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

Madmarker posted:

D&D hates Democrats, Republicans,Independents and American centrists and liberals, because, without fail, they almost all are some flavor of corporatist or conservative or both. If you note, D&D loves, for the most part, Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders, because they actually espouse left wing values and fight for them.

edit: eh, never mind, it's a stupid derail

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

KomradeX posted:

And the thing is badly rigged. Look at the Daily Shows total rating which is equally trusted/distrusted. But the break down shows the majority of Mixed and conservatives distrust it.

Though poo poo like liberals trusting the Economist, The Wall Street Journal really shows you whats wrong with Liberals

I read the Economist. I just don't read the financial and business poo poo. Otherwise I think they do good reporting, they cover international stories that aren't always being covered.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

You planning to defend John Fund or Peggy Noonan? Because while there is a fair amount of No True Scotsman grandstanding around here, there is no one outside of AM radio, the RNC and the lever-pullin' base that doesn't find these people hilarious. Especially Noonan, who has been a caricature since the Reagan era.

Peggy Noonan is impressive if only because a) she apparently managed to secret away the world's remaining supply of quaaludes in 1985 ahead of the ban and b) in spite of all known laws of physics and principles of pharmacology her stash hasn't lost one bit of potency three decades later

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I read the Economist. I just don't read the financial and business poo poo. Otherwise I think they do good reporting, they cover international stories that aren't always being covered.

This. Very much this. Yeah the Economist's editorial positions are usually pretty lovely (Deregulate!) but their straight up news gathering is solid as fugh and soar above any other mainstream newspaper/magazine available in the US.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Maher is an obnoxious jackass, but the persistent effort to pigeonhole him as some of Muslim hating bigot is a little absurd. All he is saying is that there are far more violent acts committed by Muslims in the name of religion than any other religion, and that it should be permissible to consider the religion might be to blame for that rather than dismissing it as the work of extremists.

I dunno, there are an awful lot of violent acts perpetrated in the name of securing Eretz Israel, the Jewish State as defined by biblical borders. Especially when you consider that it's not practiced by a quarter of the world's population but rather by 13.3 million people, 0.3% of the world's population - what's the number of violent acts look like on a per-capita basis? Bill Maher loves Israel and fellates them nonstop, regardless of their religiously-motivated violence.

There's definitely an element of "those Muslims are savages perpetrating savage violence on us" to his views. When he gets called out on it he'll play the "oh I just hate all religious extremists" act, but nowadays he's got a pretty definite focus on Muslims.

Really if you want to get down to it, the common perceptions of what constitutes "religious violence" is socially determined, and heavily biased in favor of Abrahamic religion and the West. A muslim who fights troops occupying his homeland: religious violence. A christian who bashes gays because his pastor said they were bad: not religious violence. A muslim who passes laws that get people's headchopped off: religious violence. A christian who passes laws that get people electrocuted: not religious violence. Muslim banning music: not OK. Christians banning drugs: OK. etc etc.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 22, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Madmarker posted:

That's true, I've seen the overwhelming devotion to Warren and Sanders many times on here. It warms my heart that there are a grand total of two widely known politicians D&D loves (for the most part?) as of this moment, until they inevitably say/do something that doesn't pass the far left purity test.

"Everyone is stupid except me (and Warren & Sanders... for now)."

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 22, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Candidate Obama, Biden, Reid, Franken, and Palin are all well loved here.

E: Duckworth and RBG

Phone fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 22, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Castro brothers get constant praise.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Elizabeth Warren is the progressive face of a regressive party, who was a republican until the mid-90's when the democratic party embraced free market capitalism.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gozinbulx posted:

This. Very much this. Yeah the Economist's editorial positions are usually pretty lovely (Deregulate!) but their straight up news gathering is solid as fugh and soar above any other mainstream newspaper/magazine available in the US.
Eh. Their news gathering has always been heavily neo-liberal, and its gotten so bad that I assume everything they report about things I'm not an expert in (like African development or the balance of power in Southeast Asia) is also heavily compromised by their viewpoint.

Reminder: the Economist recently published a review of a book about the economics of American slavery that lambasted it as propaganda because it didn't balance all the accounts of whipping and rape with descriptions of all the benefits that negro slaves received in the antebellum south, and furthermore all the villains were white people.

http://www.economist.com/news/books/21615864-how-slaves-built-american-capitalism-blood-cotton

quote:

Unlike Mr Thomas, Mr Baptist has not written an objective history of slavery. Almost all the blacks in his book are victims, almost all the whites villains. This is not history; it is advocacy.

The Economist is rightwing garbage that is eagerly lapped up by the same people who think they're good liberals because they listen to NPR.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Phone posted:

E: Duckworth and RBG

Sawant?

They aren't technically politicians, but I'm pretty sure Robert Reich is very well-liked here (Krugman too, though I've heard some grumbling about how he still thinks communism sucks).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/10/21/3582258/james-okeefe-lgbt-voter-fraud/

James O'Keefe sounds like a lovely human being who is not at all scumbag.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Phone posted:

Biden/Palin/Reid love is ironic. Franken, I've heard even less of. Candidate Obama? Yeah everyone loved who they wanted Obama to be before he actually became President and reality set in so that's a pretty funny example.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Actually I guess another way to put it is that Bill Maher punches down in a way that most liberal personalities do not, and that's what people find so offputting about him. He really kind of is the liberal counterpart of those "conservative comedians" that are so terribly unfunny.

Some of the people he punches down on are made fun of for being stupid people who should know better (Western religious people). Other people he punches down on are for being backward savages who would destroy the fabric of our society (Muslims). The two have a similar enough general vibe that he can usually get away with it by pretending it's all just about religion, but there's a definite tonal difference between the two.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/10/21/3582258/james-okeefe-lgbt-voter-fraud/

James O'Keefe sounds like a lovely human being who is not at all scumbag.

If only there was an opportunity to catch O'Keefe off-guard. Something grand and over-the-top... like wiretapping a sitting senator's office or trapping a woman in a boat's cabin.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
How often do O'Keefe's little schemes succeed these days anyway? Those two border crossings are all that I can think of off-hand.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Ansiktsburk posted:

How often do O'Keefe's little schemes succeed these days anyway? Those two border crossings are all that I can think of off-hand.

I was just about to ask this too. On the rare occasion that I'm reminded he exists, I look at him as too much of a failure to get upset over.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ninjasaurus posted:

Biden/Palin/Reid love is ironic. Franken, I've heard even less of. Candidate Obama? Yeah everyone loved who they wanted Obama to be before he actually became President and reality set in so that's a pretty funny example.

I unironically love Harry Reid. He pisses conservatives off so much a former Mormon coworker of mine said it was too bad that an effort to car bomb him a couple decades ago was unsuccessful. I can't not love anyone who can inspire so much hate in a self-righteous moral crusader fuckwad that they drop their facade and openly wish brutal murder on another human being.

Also Elizabeth Warren is loving terrible.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

beatlegs posted:

If there's a common demoninator in D&D I think it's the golden rule, right? Giving a gently caress about people regardless of race or class.

I think people are hating on liberals who aren't really liberal.

Except white people from rural areas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ninjasaurus posted:

Biden and Reid are straight up awesome. Not even ironic Diamond Joe Biden, he actually is a Decent Person.

Palin is the gift that keeps on giving.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I unironically love Harry Reid. He pisses conservatives off so much a former Mormon coworker of mine said it was too bad that an effort to car bomb him a couple decades ago was unsuccessful. I can't not love anyone who can inspire so much hate in a self-righteous moral crusader fuckwad that they drop their facade and openly wish brutal murder on another human being.

Also Elizabeth Warren is loving terrible.

So Harry Reid is loveable for bringing out the worst in people. I can definitely see that.

And oooh, an unpopular opinion about Warren in the ultraliberal echo chamber!

Phone posted:

Biden and Reid are straight up awesome. Not even ironic Diamond Joe Biden, he actually is a Decent Person.

Palin is the gift that keeps on giving.

The second highest ranking member of a political party that liberals despise and spit on is a Decent Person? I'm surprised!

Palin often delivers the lulz but nobody actually likes her.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's with the dislike towards Elizabeth Warren?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Some of the people he punches down on are made fun of for being stupid people who should know better (Western religious people). Other people he punches down on are for being backward savages who would destroy the fabric of our society (Muslims). The two have a similar enough general vibe that he can usually get away with it by pretending it's all just about religion, but there's a definite tonal difference between the two.

But the problem he's having getting people onboard is that he wasn't punching down while attacking Western/Christian faiths. American Christians are so hard-coded into the ruling establishment in America that you're nigh un-electable if you aren't one, and we have to have serious debates with them over whether or not they should be considered the default ruling religion AND whether or not the entire founding of our country was an act of their sky god and his biggest fans.

Muslims in the ME have that same sort of power, but in America they are a put-upon minority. He's right to question and attack the philosophy behind a religious state/gov't in general but he's majorly stupid to think liberals in America are as ready as he is to go full bore on it when it comes to muslims. And his lovely explanations for why we should are just awful and don't help his cause at all.

Think of it like this. In America there's a line: on one side are conservatives who think Shariah law is creeping into Wyoming, that the 9/11 Mosque was some psyop from Hamas, Iraq was a great idea and we're all going to be killed by Mecca Godzilla (praises be upon him). On the other side are liberals saying "Look we've got a problem here that needs addressing at some point, but putting American Muslims into internment camps and destroying their civil rights is way beyond the pale, making things worse, and we need to stop this dumb poo poo before we can do anything about it". All Bill Maher heard was "We've got a problem here", thought "Yeah! Lets solve this poo poo, those fuckin' Muslims are just like these Christian assholes we all dislike!" and set up shop just across the other side of the line. Which would be much less of a sin if he didn't also think he was some kind of genius for doing so and handing out select pamphlets that he found on that side of the line.

He's not Steve King, he's doesn't have hate in his heart for people just for being brown and not christian...but he's not recognizing that America doesn't have it's own house in order when it comes to relating to, understanding or influencing Muslims (in various ways domestic and abroad). He wants to skip to the part in the atheist utopian plan where America unites and defeats all non-secular violence around the world without dealing with our own bunch of yahoo's first.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 22, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ninjasaurus posted:

I was just about to ask this too. On the rare occasion that I'm reminded he exists, I look at him as too much of a failure to get upset over.

Rarely. The ISIS thing was the only thing since ACORN that I remember him succeeding at and you can see the bomb that dropped in the national conversation if you look at any news website.

He gets caught more often than not, but he's a straight white male with a rich daddy so he'd have to be literally caught over a body with the knife in his hand in order to get community service.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As a New Englander I love Harry Reid in much the same way I love Bill Belichick. They are roughly equivalent people in my mind.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tab8715 posted:

What's with the dislike towards Elizabeth Warren?
Goons hate women. :shrug:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The major thing Warren gets dinged for around here seems to be that she has the same stupid views on Israel as every other American politician.

Edit: Which is also why lots of people overlook that in favor of her economic views - the reality is that you're not gonna get anybody elected to the Senate who doesn't toe pro-Israel line.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ninjasaurus posted:

The second highest ranking member of a political party that liberals despise and spit on is a Decent Person? I'm surprised!

Palin often delivers the lulz but nobody actually likes her.

Citation needed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Speaking of O'Keefe, Steven Crowder is doing a hidden camera stunt that he is going to release soon having to deal with "gay wedding cakes"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
She also has some stupid views about Iran, women in the workforce, the estate tax, the medical device tax, and Guantanamo bay.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Looks like I was wrong. Warren hasn't passed the purity test. What about Sanders?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It is very important we don't criticize democrats, lest someone thinks we are too communisticy. Why do we need to agree with everyone in congress again?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
:siren: Breaking News: Leftists dislike candidates with views that are center-right enough to give them a decent shot at being elected in a center-right nation. :siren:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Let's take it from another angle: can I say I like Tammy Baldwin more than Elizabeth Warren or does that make me an unreasonable communist woman-hater?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Internet Webguy posted:

:siren: Breaking News: Leftists dislike candidates with views that are center-right enough to give them a decent shot at being elected in a center-right nation. :siren:

Switch around the directions and this could be a Freep post about how everyone in Congress is a RINO

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nah, RINO implies that the freepers are the real Republicans and that the guys who get elected are somehow illegitimate. Nobody on the left does the same with the Democrats.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I know I'm going to catch some BS about purity test or whatever, but can you be a leftist and still see no problem with a permanent landed gentry? To me that is a contradiction in terms. I think that even Adam Smith would be far, far to the left of the democratic party.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

loquacius posted:

Switch around the directions and this could be a Freep post about how everyone in Congress is a RINO

I don't know about that. For one, we definitely are not a center-left nation by any overall metric and two, the poster is pointing out the reality of a situation and recognizing that these people are still Democrats they just aren't our ideal Democrats. RINO is thrown around at freep as a means of furthering their epic "no true scotsman" march towards having absolutely no one as a "true" Republican/Conservative.

Now if I was to say "Elizabeth Warren is a loving fraud, who needed a D next to her name to just to steal gullible votes and doesn't do poo poo for Democrats", then you would have a point.