Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I am confused is glass dead?

I think someone said it has a SOC thats not made anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

aggressive advertising sales dudes (deliberate pronoun choice)
uh

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
didn't Jony Ive recently have an interview where he said the singular, most important piece of advice Stebe told him was to focus on a single thing and not deviate from that path? even if you desperately desperately love the idea, you have to let it go for the sake of the work.

this is good advice I think, Google could learn from that. focus on a few things and make them great.

Stebe also told Jony that he was vain when jony told him to tone down his harsh criticism, lol.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

max4me posted:

it has a ti omap 4430 which is old and obsolete for reference thats the same chip in the blackberry playbook and the droid 3

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

google sent me some cress to grow

for some reason

the cress seeds have 'the seeds of success' written on the packet

i wish i was dead

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PleasureKevin posted:

google has open sourced some of their icons. which actually means google has open sourced some of apple's icons they borrowed.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Fib posted:

I enjoyed every word of this, cob.

yw but i only changed three words :shobon:

PleasureKevin posted:

google has open sourced some of their icons. which actually means google has open sourced some of apple's icons they borrowed.

lol

opensource.jpg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

all […] would be surprised to hear Google has products

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
copying someone elses implementation is the google/oss way lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
reminder that the android logo is the biggest loving turd

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sometimes google's business plan feels like jacking off in an uncomfortable place like in a public bathroom and you've gotta figure out on the fly how to make it to the sink without getting market failure all over you becaue you've still got a head full of orgasm and so you take your sperm and stick in in your mouth to be spat out for later

no see this works because the obvious solution is clean up with the toilet paper but google can't do that because ~reasons~

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i wasn't aware
tbf this is your gimmick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sometimes google's business plan feels like jacking off in an uncomfortable place like in a public bathroom and you've gotta figure out on the fly how to make it to the sink without getting market failure all over you becaue you've still got a head full of orgasm and so you take your sperm and stick in in your mouth to be spat out for later

wh

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

max4me posted:

I am confused is glass dead?

iirc the original glass was based off the innards of a sarnsung galaxy nexus and those guts are no longer being made (TI something something)
but they've upgraded glass since then no idea if that changed

i got an email once inviting me to become a glass 'explorer' ~for free~ but they asked me what i'd use glass for and i said only for recording vids of my cats and i never heard back

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Necc0 posted:

no see this works because the obvious solution is clean up with the toilet paper but google can't do that because ~reasons~

because the toilets at the googleplex have those japanese seats that have cleansing water jets so your paper needs are far reduced

no idea how you americans live without those btw. if you call that living.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Base Emitter posted:

i think only microsoft managers are touchy about employee phone choice

I work for Reuters and constantly use Bloomberg content for reference, no manager has even noticed. I used the Bloomberg logo on Reuters news on the NYSE floor, it was only changed a day before going live. Bloomberg provide better photos and videos of my work too, so of course I'm going to use them :lol:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Base Emitter posted:

i think only microsoft managers are touchy about employee phone choice

i read somewhere that s. jobs considered it betrayal if employees had non-apple phones

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

because the toilets at the googleplex have those japanese seats that have cleansing water jets so your paper needs are far reduced

no idea how you americans live without those btw. if you call that living.

ohhhhh i thought that thing was a water fountain for cats

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

prefect posted:

i read somewhere that s. jobs considered it betrayal if employees had non-apple phones

i would consider it a growth opportunity

we think our product is the best but yet you've chosen the competitor's version. tell us what it does that ours doesn't, get our phone for free

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

flakeloaf posted:

i would consider it a growth opportunity

we think our product is the best but yet you've chosen the competitor's version. tell us what it does that ours doesn't, get our phone for free

i would think a certain number of people would be required to have competitorphones just for research purposes. but you never know :shrug:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

prefect posted:

i can't imagine the self-loathing necessary to work for apple and be a androidhaver

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

google has corporate sales teams in my building and they are the usual collection of aggressive advertising sales dudes (deliberate pronoun choice). all use iPhones and would be surprised to hear Google has products other than Adwords

he works on the coding side so he has to deal with the promises made by those people to clients.

and when i worked at samsung there was definitely a "if you don't have a samsung tv you are betraying the company" feel. funny it didn't extend to samsung laptops because lol those things were garbage and everyone knew it. it started to be a thing with the newly released smartphones but then i left because it was awful.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

prefect posted:

i would think a certain number of people would be required to have competitorphones just for research purposes. but you never know :shrug:

a thought predicated on the possibility that your competitors can do something to earn that kind of respect

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so this morning slate has a hit piece calling out google self driving cars as not real and having no chance of becoming real. it's low on tech detail but generally correct in its assessment.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/google_self_driving_car_it_may_never_actually_happen.single.html

looks like the shine is coming off of yet another google moonshot project, time to come up with some more impractical ideas to impress investors

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

so this morning slate has a hit piece calling out google self driving cars as not real and having no chance of becoming real. it's low on tech detail but generally correct in its assessment.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/google_self_driving_car_it_may_never_actually_happen.single.html

looks like the shine is coming off of yet another google moonshot project, time to come up with some more impractical ideas to impress investors

To be able to handle the everyday stresses and strains of the real driving world, the Google car will require a computer with a level of intelligence that machines won't have for many years, if ever.

yeah i agree they'll never be good at chess either

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Management posted:

quote:

To be able to handle the everyday stresses and strains of the real driving world, the Google car will require a computer with a level of intelligence that machines won't have for many years, if ever.

lol

efb

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

why in god's name would they need an inch perfect 3d map of every street, x/y is handled by gps and goog maps, and all objects from the point of view of a car in motion are moving so have a dedicated computer to track all objects, calculate their apparent paths, and if they're at risk of colliding pass it to the main computer to avoid or stop the car

yeah this is harder but you wanted "challenges" you fucks

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Forums Terrorist posted:

why in god's name would they need an inch perfect 3d map of every street, x/y is handled by gps and goog maps, and all objects from the point of view of a car in motion are moving so have a dedicated computer to track all objects, calculate their apparent paths, and if they're at risk of colliding pass it to the main computer to avoid or stop the car

because that's how google's cars are doing it now

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

maybe they should start with trains, and once they have driverless freight trains move on to trams, since they're easier

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

that's pretty good overview of the problems with the google car

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

google isn't going to replace your personal car, its going to replace the taxi you take from the airport to your hotel; those kinds of routes can be well defined

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Forums Terrorist posted:

they do that because machine vision is quite good at dealing with things it has been taught and has seen before but absolute poo poo at classifying new experiences.

the human brain on the other hand is really, really, really good at rapidly classifying new things according to previous experiences or even third party descriptions of things. hell too good sometimes so you get stereotyping and such. out vision is also the product of millions of years of strong evolutionary pressure resulting in a pretty finely honed ability to pick out motion or "strange" shapes/patterns because any of our ancestors that were bad at that got eaten.

Forums Terrorist posted:

maybe they should start with trains, and once they have driverless freight trains move on to trams, since they're easier

lol they will never do that because having an engineer you can pin the blame on because he "had drugs in his system" from smoking a joint a month ago and received (but didn't read) a text message three hours before the wreck is pretty important to railroad companies. also the computer slamming on the emergency brake because it can't tell that the thing on the tracks is a cow instead of a sedan could easily cause a massive derailment and hazmat situation.

hobbesmaster posted:

google isn't going to replace your personal car, its going to replace the taxi you take from the airport to your hotel; those kinds of routes can be well defined

keep saying it: high end retirement communities. big pot of money for exploration there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

maniacdevnull posted:

yeah i agree they'll never be good at chess either
self-driving cars are going to be a thing in the medium-term future, that is pretty much inevitable

googles problem is their suggestion that self-driving cars will be a thing tomorrow, or in just a few more years max

its the same thing with glass: headset/hud augmented reality will be a thing someday, but the technology (especially battery technology) is nowhere near mature enough. but google put out an actual (terrible) product anyway

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

i worked for a company that did full service lidar work. when the board ran that into the ground, a major US car manufacturer scooped it up. my guess is the accurate survey grade data will be used as reference points for the relatively crappy lidar units they'll put in the vehicles.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzNTjpUMOp4

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

been loving around with this. actually is pretty effective at collecting all the bullshit email you get and filing them away in categories. the "snooze" reminders to re-check messages later is p. nice and easy to use.

i give it two months before they forget it ever existed.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Can I get invited into Inbox?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

because of rain

There is a surprisingly long list of the things the car can't do, like avoid potholes or operate in heavy rain or snow.

rain and snow basically make the thing blind. so they need map data to compensate, i take it.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

proof google is for the poors

this is screenshots form their Inbox site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the narrative around google is finally changing :xd:

http://stratechery.com/2014/peak-google/

• Locked thread