Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're not arguing against it, they're trying to rationalise why such an obvious thing hasn't and probably won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I forgot how hard Circle of the Moon was. Is there any better way to get card drops? I only have 4 cards and I'm halfway through the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Other than checking a guide online to find out which enemies drop which cards and farming them, I don't think so. That's easily the worst part of the game, the drop rate is so low that you'll probably have barely any even at the end of the game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I forgot how hard Circle of the Moon was. Is there any better way to get card drops? I only have 4 cards and I'm halfway through the game.

I never bothered and just enjoyed Magician mode.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Only two real options. Either check a guide online for which enemies drop them, load up on luck items, and grind; or just use the glitch that lets you switch to any cards you want :v:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
That's why it's fun to play as Soldier or Thief or whatever the other "jobs" are after beating the game several times. The Soldier is pretty much the classic Castlevania experience, relying solely on punching monsters and using sub-weapons like the axe. :black101:

Then you have Thief, where it's easier to get pretty much everything, but harder to deal high damage. Still fun though if you're like me and sperg about getting tons of good items in games.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Thief also got the homing dagger, which was hella fun.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Hakkesshu posted:

The lead-up to the castle in SCV4 is seriously one of my favourite things in video games. Aside from the map variations, they made two pieces of music for both the outside and inside areas that only play in those two screens and you don't even get to hear them for very long, it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1SrZvH-kOc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ver18ZHcH3k

I love In the Castle so much. Back when I was in High School I was messing around making "arrangements" which were basically just midi rips with a couple extra things thrown in. I stopped making them but I did manage to salvage these Castlevania ones.

In the Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0bvoNC_M4w

I also remade Bloody Tears (this one was actually a bit more involved) as an ambient/minimalist thing. Someone mentioned it sounded like music for a puzzle section in some flooded area and I like to picture it that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7iDSmmX5V4

manny kaltz
Oct 16, 2011

What?...
Is there any news for when the GBA Castlevania games are goings to be released on the Virtual Console for the PAL regions? I'm in Australia and am having nostalgia pangs for Aria of Sorrow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nope, but Konami generally doesn't leave too much of a gap between NA/PAL VC releases.

NOE lets publishers do more elaborate discount/bundle promotions, so I wonder if Konami might release all three of 'em at once over here with some sort of b2g1 deal.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thief didn't get homing dagger in COTM, you're forgetting that there was a Ranger class which was bad at everything but had really high subweapon damage and extra hearts. The thing is spamming the Cross weapon was pretty much the best strategy for Warriors too so it ended up not being too interesting, unless you used the homing dagger a lot.

Personally I liked Thief the best, drops were REALLY rare on every other class but a thief had more luck at level 1 than the other jobs at level 99. By the time you were 50 you had 9999 Luck when the other classes max out at 1000. You basically always had 99 potions.

I played COTM too much back in the day

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm listening to old Castlevania songs on youtube, and I think the Order of Ecclesia soundtrack is pretty underrated. An Empty Tome is a pretty kick-rear end theme for our heroine, and most of the area themes are pretty good. Special mentions go to A Clashing of Waves and Rhapsody of the Forsaken, used in the Kalidus Channel and the Prison respectively.

I also just noticed how much the Game Select menu theme takes from the Castlevania 3 Prelude.

You only hear it briefly when starting a new game, but I really like the song Ecclesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsVIJs2yvz0

There isn't a song in the soundtrack I don't like though.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It is a Castlevania spinoff in everything but name. Rogue Legacy is awesome and if you can stand roguelike elements (Spelunky-style, not Nethack) you'll have a blast with it.

Eh, there's a few fair number of flaws you have to overlook in it. It's not a bad game but I finished it once and haven't played it again since.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The fact that people are arguing against the inclusion of GBA games into the 3DS library because of a lack of loving sleep mode is even goddamn stupider.

I specifically said I would buy it. That doesn't mean my opinion is universal. v:shobon:v

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Has anyone ever made any tools that could change enemy stats in SotN? All I could find was some simple save editors an unfinished map editor.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I started playing Order of Ecclesia yesterday (after buying it about a year ago...), I've only played up as far as killing the first boss but it's kinda fun with the glyph system. Although I didn't realise that once you have a glyph, you could equip it as many times as you wanted. I was wondering where my 2nd Rapier glyph came from at the start. :downs: I think though that I will kind of miss the huge map from Dawn of Sorrow.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

irlZaphod posted:

I think though that I will kind of miss the huge map from Dawn of Sorrow.

Yeah that's a shame.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Order of Ecclesia feels like a mix between one of the metroidvania games and one of the traditional platforming/action game sin that the "levels" aren't like absolutely enormous and the action/gameplay is pretty refined and good.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah Order of Ecclesia feels like a mix between one of the metroidvania games and one of the traditional platforming/action game sin that the "levels" aren't like absolutely enormous and the action/gameplay is pretty refined and good.

Challenge modes aside. Vanilla playthroughs have stupid (character) level gaps between levels that only make it a numbers game in terms of difficulty, so plan on using elemental exploits (if you have the glyphs) early on just to catch up with numbers or grind away. The outdoor areas also leave lots to be desired. It's a fun game, but those are disappointing parts of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrEkli posted:

Challenge modes aside. Vanilla playthroughs have stupid (character) level gaps between levels that only make it a numbers game in terms of difficulty, so plan on using elemental exploits (if you have the glyphs) early on just to catch up with numbers or grind away. The outdoor areas also leave lots to be desired. It's a fun game, but those are disappointing parts of it.

I'm not sure what you mean by character level gaps but the game is designed around the idea of using elemental attacks to pierce enemy weaknesses. Grinding is not the solution there and you're pretty much always given access to the proper glyphs.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by character level gaps but the game is designed around the idea of using elemental attacks to pierce enemy weaknesses. Grinding is not the solution there and you're pretty much always given access to the proper glyphs.

I just felt I was "cheating" the game focusing so much on exploits playing through the game. Not used to being forced to (although other games had their share) resorting to such play tactics in a Castlevania game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

mrEkli posted:

I just felt I was "cheating" the game focusing so much on exploits playing through the game. Not used to being forced to (although other games had their share) resorting to such play tactics in a Castlevania game.

Cheating Ecclesia involves dual-wielding Nitesco glyphs with Death Rings on each accessory. You are not cheating Ecclesia.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Light+Dark glyph crush also counts, probably even more so because you do have to grind up Nitesco a little bit so that it becomes a hurricane of laser death.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mrEkli posted:

Because OoE doesn't have a conventional weapon system, they were able to make extreme gaps in enemies being weak to an element versus being strong against one. Using the correct element for the situation isn't cheating. In fact it's less of a numbers game than other Castlevania games because you don't just choose the strongest weapon that you have all the time. The weakness/resistance system makes OoE the most interesting Castlevania game to me.

In hard mode, even the outdoor levels are memorable and challenging. Give it a try. It's a whole new game, really.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Phantasium posted:

Cheating Ecclesia involves dual-wielding Nitesco glyphs with Death Rings on each accessory. You are not cheating Ecclesia.

This is correct.

I always felt Order of Ecclesia was basically what Castlevania II would have been if it had been made later.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Counterpoint: continually switching glyphs is obnoxious and unfun and making the acquisition of glyphs that can be the difference between a piddly enemy requiring several hits or one a matter of chance is itself a kindof grinding.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Order of Ecclesia's bosses remind me of Dark Souls in a huge way, in how much focus there is on dodging attacks. That's pretty much the only way to win the Level 1 mode too, which is SO MUCH FUN. God, Order of Ecclesia is such a great drat game. :allears:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Counterpoint: continually switching glyphs is obnoxious and unfun and making the acquisition of glyphs that can be the difference between a piddly enemy requiring several hits or one a matter of chance is itself a kindof grinding.

Maybe, but since Ecclesia gave you glyph sleeves to work with it's trivial to put blunt weapons in one slot, slashing weapons in another, and then magic in the last. Any weapon switching outside of that falls into the same stuff the other metroidvanias do (switching when you get a flat out upgrade, trying out new weapons, etc).

Plus there were enemies that 100% dropped glyphs by means of using them and they tended to be the best ones (case in point, Nitesco).

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Almost every single elemental glyph can be absorbed from an enemy while they use it. Did you miss the glyph sleeve as well? I don't see how having 3 sets of glyphs to switch to at any time is obnoxious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

You don't need to constantly switch. There is generally a good set of weaknesses/strengths per area so you can configure yourself to best deal with that. Plus you have multiple glyph slots anyway so you can swap at a button press.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

At what point do you get elemental glyphs?

Also yeah the outdoor areas suck so far, I'm only at the prison but the forest was really dull, and just annoying really. Those flying enemies are a total pain.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You can get your first elemental glyph in the prison, but the first good one comes at the lighthouse afterwards. Make sure you go up after beating the boss there.

Another really good elemental glyph is near the end of the area after the lighthouse. When you come across an enemy that looks like it has a hammerhead shark for a head, wait for it to cast a spell and absorb it before he casts it.

The forest is actually one of the most difficult levels on hard mode, if you can believe that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Because OoE doesn't have a conventional weapon system, they were able to make extreme gaps in enemies being weak to an element versus being strong against one. Using the correct element for the situation isn't cheating. In fact it's less of a numbers game than other Castlevania games because you don't just choose the strongest weapon that you have all the time. The weakness/resistance system makes OoE the most interesting Castlevania game to me.

In hard mode, even the outdoor levels are memorable and challenging. Give it a try. It's a whole new game, really.

If you can't get through the forest on hard you ain't nothin son.

Evil Eagle posted:

You can get your first elemental glyph in the prison, but the first good one comes at the lighthouse afterwards. Make sure you go up after beating the boss there.

Another really good elemental glyph is near the end of the area after the lighthouse. When you come across an enemy that looks like it has a hammerhead shark for a head, wait for it to cast a spell and absorb it before he casts it.

The forest is actually one of the most difficult levels on hard mode, if you can believe that.

IIRC three of the four "devil" enemies cast a spell that lets you take a glyph. There's so much glyph variety you can use pretty much anything that they're not immune to and kill dudes, though.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 25, 2014

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Anatharon posted:

If you can't get through the forest on hard you ain't nothin son.

Oh I know, I've done level 1 hard mode with 128 health and 50 hearts (with some other challenges added on). Order of Ecclesia is my game, son.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Oh I know, I've done level 1 hard mode with 128 health and 50 hearts (with some other challenges added on). Order of Ecclesia is my game, son.

:hf:

I know, you're probably as into OoE as I am. :v:

But really, hard mode forest is nuts.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Pfft, tried to replay Castlevania (the first one) today, died like 10 times in the third area. I think I just ran through it on my second try a month or two ago. What's wrong with me.

:negative:

On topic, has anyone beaten any of the CV1 romhacks? Opinions?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
No romhack knowledge, but behold the secret knowledge of the Medusa Heads. When they first appear in area 3 about halfway through? Just walk forward and go up the stairs to the next area without stopping. The skeleton will even jump off the ledge because you didn't stop so you don't have to jump or swing your whip for that entire section. :)

The third area is also the first part of the game where you NEED to be able to hit stuff in mid jump successfully, with that in mind it gets a lot easier.

When you go above ground in area 4, be careful with the hunchbacks, not because of them being annoying, but because it's moderately common for one of them to drop the axe here. Ignore the first bone dragon completely, just walk forward through the door and it won't touch you. Don't get the second candle in the next area because it has the dagger and you really want that holy water from earlier in the area to deal with the next two bone dragons along with Frankenstein's Monster.

Also for dealing with the Axe Lords and Medusa Heads in the gallery right before you fight Death in area five, note that if you hit two thing at the exact same time with a sub-weapon, both die instantly (enemy projectiles and candles count for this also, but this pre-Death corridor is the only point where it's useful or even really noticeable). If you lost the holy water on the way and are stuck with the cross from the area just below Death's hallway, the big hit box on it makes it easy to take out each Axe Lord with one hit as a Medusa Head passes through them, which will also earn you the double and hopefully triple shot you'll need to make the fight with Death easier.

I meant to post this soundtrack earlier for fans of SCV4, this is the most Super Castlevania IV sounding movie score ever made, worth at least listening to the first twenty minutes or so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPKs1Io7A0

Finally, most importantly, a reminder about Super Castlevania IV, the game is oft-decried for its lack of difficulty, and it's true, while there are a few difficult spots throughout the game it doesn't really start to get challenging until you enter Dracula's castle proper. HOWEVER, if you beat the game and then play again on the second loop? It's about on par with older Castlevania games. There's more enemies placed in more places. Bats fly out more commonly (CV1's second loop is the same thing actually, so appropriate for a remake), and your weapons get one "hit" weaker like they do starting at level 8 of the first run.

Because of that extra hit even weak enemies take, whipping stuff diagonally in mid-air is actually less useful because you end up colliding with the enemy. So it ends playing exactly like CV1 where you gotta be very careful with your positioning and mostly just whip left and right. Even cooler though, the dagger DOES NOT get weaker like every other weapon and your whip does, so in the later levels of the second loop it's actually very useful. You have to worry more about having the right weapon for you take on each situation and boss than in the first run also, it's really awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 2, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I definetly got some Castlevania vibes from that music. It was pretty good. :allears:

Unrelated but do some Mermen in Dawn of Sorrow not drop souls? I swear they don't or I'm just really unlucky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They actually do but it's a level 3 rarity for some reason. The attack (you spit water straight forward) is totally useless.

Besides checking a guide, the enemies that drop cards all do some kind of elemental damage. So if you see any effect when an enemy hits you they drop one. Also I think there are a couple you can only get from unique enemies? Like the single Fallen Angel hanging out in a hidden room in the chapel. I think it's Fallen Angel? The Lilim/Lilith palette swap enemies, there's a hidden room with one that's actually a unique.

Also if you want to get really good check out the colosseum. Once you're above level thirty-six or so it's doable even without cards, but also worth running through because it's mostly populated by the late-game powerful enemies that also drop the cards, so they basically have an EX/card grinding spot in one place if you want to go that route.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm like the dumbest person ever for double posting in this manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Neo Rasa posted:

They actually do but it's a level 3 rarity for some reason. The attack (you spit water straight forward) is totally useless.

Besides checking a guide, the enemies that drop cards all do some kind of elemental damage. So if you see any effect when an enemy hits you they drop one. Also I think there are a couple you can only get from unique enemies? Like the single Fallen Angel hanging out in a hidden room in the chapel. I think it's Fallen Angel? The Lilim/Lilith palette swap enemies, there's a hidden room with one that's actually a unique.

Also if you want to get really good check out the colosseum. Once you're above level thirty-six or so it's doable even without cards, but also worth running through because it's mostly populated by the late-game powerful enemies that also drop the cards, so they basically have an EX/card grinding spot in one place if you want to go that route.

IIRC the only way to get the Unicorn and Cerebus cards are from the Coliseum. Or at least I think that's the cards, but there's two special types of armors that only spawn there and drop cards.