Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

w00tazn posted:

Wonder if you could just get rid of the battery. He's already opened the guts to reposition the usb port so I don't see why removing the battery would be that much more of a stretch.

In other news, Amazon removed the release date from the Nexus 9 so now I have no idea if I'm going to be getting mine on the Week of Nov 3 since I changed delivery addresses. :(

the 16GB still has 11/3 on Amazon tonight. 32GB no date :qq: (I have one ordered as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

w00tazn posted:

Wonder if you could just get rid of the battery. He's already opened the guts to reposition the usb port so I don't see why removing the battery would be that much more of a stretch.
I thought of that too but then you've got the problem where it loses power every time you turn the car off. I bought a refurb N7 just in case I wanted to work on the problem (the Subaru BRZ's radio is awful) but really I'm hoping Android Auto just obviates the need for a hacky solution.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

TheQat posted:

the 16GB still has 11/3 on Amazon tonight. 32GB no date :qq: (I have one ordered as well)

Noooo. Hopefully nothing has changed though!

Also nothing like getting back from vacation and seeing 30some new posts....oh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Decius posted:

Only the Nexus 5 and then only FAT32. Everything else you need to use third-party tools/kernels that I guess simply ignore the patent. Manufacturers have to pay per device as far as the contracts with MS have become public, so of course they try to minimize the number of devices. Although in Germany a OLG (second highest instance) ruling already invalidated the FAT patent, so it might be a thing of the past in a few years time.

fat16 already had patents expire globally several years back, and fat32 patents should expire by 2016.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 28, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GregNorc posted:

Does anyone know why OSX would freeze when I plug in my N7?

I have tried 2 different USB cables. Whenever I plug in my N7, the Android Sync app pops up in OSX, then all keyboard/trackpad input stops working. I can hit the power button, but I can't click "shut down", so I have to hard reset the Macbook.

It's one of the newer Macbook pros with 10.9.5
Replying to this on my MacBook Air, 10.10 with my N7 running Lollipop plugged in.

So Android File Transfer opens but that's all that happens? Why exactly are plugging in your device? That's something I only do to fastboot and adb sideload. Is there a reason you're avoiding just using AirDroid or SMB to transfer things wirelessly?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Still developing hands-on of the nexus 9!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/21/7025965/google-nexus-9-hands-on-android-tablet-vs-ipad

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A while back I mentioned that my Nexus 7 ran like hell and everyone here told me something was wrong with it. With the test Lollipop images being released I put that on so my wife and I could use the new onboarding/restore process and all the performance problems have vanished. We still have both of us on there but now it's quite snappy.

I did have a problem where I turned on and off the battery saver function and the persistent notification would not go away on only my profile but a reboot fixed it. Other than that it's been exceptional.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lol that he called something lighter than the iPad Air 2 heavy.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I was looking at the N9 release dates on Amazon again today and I noticed that the black 32/16 are both listed as having no release date, but the white ones are marked Nov 3. I really hope this is just Amazon oversight because it's pretty annoying if I end up getting mine later due to color choice.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

ijyt posted:

The verge is the the fox news of tech journalism.

I remember a verge article admitting how lovely their bias was but you should still totally trust them. :lol:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ijyt posted:

*heavier than expected. He may have thought it'd be closer to iPad Mini than iPad Air.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

A while back I mentioned that my Nexus 7 ran like hell and everyone here told me something was wrong with it. With the test Lollipop images being released I put that on so my wife and I could use the new onboarding/restore process and all the performance problems have vanished. We still have both of us on there but now it's quite snappy.

I did have a problem where I turned on and off the battery saver function and the persistent notification would not go away on only my profile but a reboot fixed it. Other than that it's been exceptional.
Which generation N7 is this?

Thinking about buying the one from last year when the N9 becomes available at retailers. Hopefully that'll bring a small price drop.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thinking about it google have pretty much scored an own goal with the 9 and it's pricing. If I have £500 (+£110) to spend on a tablet, I'll buy android - but only because I've already invested in its ecosystem.

Androids selling point has always been that it's cheap. Remove that, take verdant fanboys out of the equation, and I believe most people will buy iPad because "it's better".

Their marketing had better be as good as apples if they want to continue the direction of its flagship device.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Daimo posted:

Thinking about it google have pretty much scored an own goal with the 9 and it's pricing. If I have £500 (+£110) to spend on a tablet, I'll buy android - but only because I've already invested in its ecosystem.

Androids selling point has always been that it's cheap. Remove that, take verdant fanboys out of the equation, and I believe most people will buy iPad because "it's better".

Their marketing had better be as good as apples if they want to continue the direction of its flagship device.

Google is trying to produce a premium device and separate it from Nexus=cheap.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daimo posted:

It's the same price as the N10 so the price is not exactly unprecedented. Although that didn't exactly sell in great numbers.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

Which generation N7 is this?

Thinking about buying the one from last year when the N9 becomes available at retailers. Hopefully that'll bring a small price drop.
Second gen, the one that's dirt cheap refurbished on eBay. I have to say I actually enjoy using it now and even as a second user it works great. Lollipop owns, can't wait for the final software to drop on November 3rd.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Daimo posted:

That seems like a silly thing to say, there are lots of cheap Android devices that are crap, lots of cheap Android devices with awesome price:performance/utility (like the nexus 7, pre-nexus 6 nexus phones, LG Optimus for its time), but high-end Android devices are, well, also good.

If you're comparing similar devices there isn't really that much distinction between the two any more now that Apple's app store is barely curated and full of garbage, and iOS users don't have to jailbreak to install third party apps. You can just use whichever OS you're more comfortable with/offers the device you want!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tunga posted:

It's the same price as the N10 so the price is not exactly unprecedented. Although that didn't exactly sell in great numbers.

I'm british, I bought an n10 and it cost nowhere near half a grand.
(And indeed the preorder price is 320 pounds)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

feedmegin posted:

I bought a 16GB N10 for 399€

The 16GB N9 is 389€

By the way, I paid 539€ for my (terrible) GNex back in the day. 579€ for a N6 doesn't seem that bad, just more expensive than the 300€/350€/400€ Nexus4/5

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

N10 was £320/390.
N9 is £320/£400.

I, too, am confused about the earlier post claiming that it is £500.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GregNorc posted:

To be honest, I didn't realize I could send stuff over wirelessly. I got used to avoiding Bluetooth back in the days when it gave devices Game Gear eque levels of power drain. Is that built in or do you use an app?

And yeah, so I unlock my tablet (it's encrypted), I plug the usb into the computer then into the N7, then the screen freezes. This doesn't always happen, but it's about a third of the time.

It's happened with 2 different USB cables so I don't think it's an issue with the cable.

Install the app AirDroid. All your problems will be solved.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Install the app AirDroid. All your problems will be solved.

AirDroid is amazing, its what I've always needed for my phone/tablet but never knew I needed it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GregNorc posted:

To be honest, I didn't realize I could send stuff over wirelessly. I got used to avoiding Bluetooth back in the days when it gave devices Game Gear eque levels of power drain. Is that built in or do you use an app?
AirDroid is great for simple stuff and a file browser is great for folders shared via SMB. There's another app called Droid NAS that makes your device show in Finder but it requires a workaround on Mavericks or Yosemite:

quote:

Press Cmd+K in Finder and enter IP address AND share:
smb://IP_ADDRESS:Port/Share
Once you do that it shows up as just another drive you can access.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
Should I preorder a nexus 9?

I've been waiting forever for this device but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for it to come out and for the initial bugs to be fixed. There's always something funky with releases like this, right?

How many of you have preordered already?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm not expecting too many major issues. There are lots of Android tablets now so the software side has really come a long way in the past 2-3 years. Hardware-wise it's just a nice evolutionary step--there's nothing really novel or fancy in the Nexus 9. Lots of other tablets have similar high DPI displays, build quality, etc. And if there are issues at least it's a Nexus device so you have all the competency of Google behind making necessary fixes. I've got one preordered and can't wait for it to arrive so I can upgrade from my Nexus 7 (that has been flawless the past year).

edit: I guess the only thing to worry about is the new 64-bit K1 processor, I don't think any other tablets have used that yet. However I think it's worth the risk considering the crazy performance of the 32-bit K1 and that this one should be even better.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

db franco posted:

I've been waiting forever for this device but I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for it to come out and for the initial bugs to be fixed. There's always something funky with releases like this, right?

I preordered, basically decided a bit into last year that I'd get the next nexus 9-10" device. I think that having nothing come out last year really whetted my appetite for a new device haha. Personally though, I'd say if you're really questioning it, just wait for reviews/talk to decide if it is for you. A pre-order should be a no-thought-I-want-this type of reaction. It isn't like they will produce only enough for the pre-orders...

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

db franco posted:

I've not despite this tablet being exactly what I wanted. I want to hold one and get a feel for it before buying. Plus, I want all of the accessories available and to read reviews from people in this thread.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

db franco posted:

There's really no reason to choose it over the $399 iPad air or the Note 10.1. The 4:3 aspect ratio is just baffling to me but I guess they wanted to copy Apple on everything.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

There's really no reason to choose it over the $399 iPad air or the Note 10.1. The 4:3 aspect ratio is just baffling to me but I guess they wanted to copy Apple on everything.

For people using it for things other than reading comic books and watching movies, 4:3 owns. Better for reading the internet in portrait, way better for reading normal 8.5x11 format stuff.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

RVProfootballer posted:

way better for reading normal 8.5x11 format stuff.
What stuff are you reading that's 8.5x11? Pick up a book and measure it, it's probably close to 16:10. The current 7 is perfect for reading. I'll agree that on larger devices, 4:3 is probably better, but not for that reason.

db franco
Jul 14, 2014
I was wondering that as well, when I saw the aspect ratio. Seems like a step in the wrong direction. I'm sure they've done it that way for some reason... I guess I'll have to actually experience it myself before I give my opinion of it.

As for the note 10.1, Samsung makes toys, not productivity devices. The note 4 is just awful. Maybe I just still have a bad taste in my mouth after a bad experience with the S3. Ever since owning a Nexus 10 and Nexus 5, I'm a fan boy :D

Will they have the nexus 9 on display at big box retailers such as Best Buy? If the release date is the 3rd, will they have them then? Or later, because that's the ship date?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

butt dickus posted:

What stuff are you reading that's 8.5x11? Pick up a book and measure it, it's probably close to 16:10. The current 7 is perfect for reading. I'll agree that on larger devices, 4:3 is probably better, but not for that reason.

Web pages--everything looks squished and has to scroll around or be zoomed in to read in portrait mode. Also having used a Surface tablet that was 16:9 it was hilariously bad in portrait mode. Just way too long and skinny to make reading 2 columns at a time comfortable. 16:9 is good for movies, but beyond that it's bad for everything else. I'm still pissed off they stopped making 4:3 aspect ratio monitors though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

It's stuff made to print, like scientific journal articles, and various reference/textbooks. If I had an easy way to cut the white space on the sides sometimes, I think you'd be right. But as it is, my 15:10 9" tablet can display like a page and maybe 10-20% of another vertically, and it'd be ideal if it was a little wider and showed one page but larger. I'm nitpicking, though, as it is still way better than reading that kind of stuff on my 16:9 convertible laptop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

db franco posted:

There's very few circumstances when you should pre-order anything.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

db franco posted:

As for the note 10.1, Samsung makes toys, not productivity devices. The note 4 is just awful. Maybe I just still have a bad taste in my mouth after a bad experience with the S3. Ever since owning a Nexus 10 and Nexus 5, I'm a fan boy :D

The gently caress? Out of all the tablets, the Note series is the only thing I ever consider getting for productivity. The rest of the tablets feel like unnecessary devices.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Thermopyle posted:

There's very few circumstances when you should pre-order anything.

Basically this.
That said, ohmygod I can't wait!!!!!!!!! haha I check tech sites multiple times a day to see if there is any new imformation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Syrinxx posted:

Epubs with reflowing text are fine on whatever, but I read a ton of technical PDF published in a regular aspect ratio. On a 7" 16x10 screen you can't hardly see anything out zooming out and scrolling around. I had the N10 and both N7s as well as an ipad, and 4:3 is better for that. To each his own, though.