Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I don't even remember most of the characters from Twilight Princess, apparently. Not sure who I'd want in from that game... but hopefully it won't be someone dumb like Yeta

Calling it now: it'll be Yeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Of course, Impa is the best character.

You spelled Midna wrong, though you're just a few letters off so I can understand the mistake.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeto, Renado, Mayor Bo, Malo, Darbus or Barnes would all be cool additions. My guess is that it's probably going to be Telma or one of the crew in her bar, though. I just hope that the weapon goes to somebody besides Link, I can barely use all the ones he has already!

edit: the spinner as a weapon, but for Midna :getin:

I secretly want Shad as a joke character. All his moves will be him referring to his research on the subweapons Link found in the game and trying to use them, but failing miserably as he screams in terror and is flung around the battlefield on the spinner, shot across the battlefield with dual hookshots, or is chased down by a rampaging statue he's possessed with the dominion rod. :allears:

SuperHappy
Aug 22, 2004

feel the rhythm with your hands
Me, I'm hoping for Hena. A warrior based around fishing would fit right in with all the 3D Zelda fanservice. Her strong attack would be slapping all the enemies with a Hylian loach. It'd be perfect.

Also, seeing more than one confused post about using whistles on the Master Quest map suggests to me that a lot of you need to download the original Zelda game to your virtual console and play both the first and second quests. Do it!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SuperHappy posted:

Also, seeing more than one confused post about using whistles on the Master Quest map suggests to me that a lot of you need to download the original Zelda game to your virtual console and play both the first and second quests. Do it!

Alternatively, do not do this unless you are from the era that played and enjoyed it or you are really into learning about the history of games. The original Legend of Zelda is very primitive, often expects for you to literally walk through walls with little indication that's what you're supposed to do and its difficulty can best be described as a punishment.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Maybe this makes me a tumblr-bitch but I really want humanoid Midna. The only bad thing about that option is that there's already soooo many dark-aligned characters that the game could really use some more elemental diversity. There's like 4 of fire and water and probably twice as many dark guys.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

larchesdanrew posted:

Cia, as well, when you use her strong attack to charge her with dark power she is also immune to knockback, which also means she is immune to redead stuns.

EDIT: Interesting read on Reddit about "Hidden Techniques.". I had no idea you could do things like charge the fire rod's strong attack, do counters, or do special attacks with the gauntlet while holding poo poo.

This is awesome, thanks for posting the link here. It's neat that they were able to add some interesting tricks and depth to the combat system.

It seems like everybody's way ahead of me - I haven't touched the DLC content yet, and I'm still trying to finish the first Adventure Mode map and all the second Skulltulas in Legend/Free. Speaking of which, for the second Skulltula in "Shining Beacon," it's my understanding you have to defeat Volga once, wait for him to return, then use the Magic Circle and defeat him again. Is that right? Considering how little you can damage him and how much damage he does it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to fight him before using the Magic Circle (especially not with the Deku Spear, which doesn't seem to have strong single target focused attacks). Any advice?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That is how you get that skulltula, yes. Lana has one good single-target attack and it's BBBBY (the leaf blow), but the trick is to do a dash right before she jumps into the air. The first gust of wind does a lot of damage swiftly, but the jump into the air part is slow and useless.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Naerasa posted:

Maybe this makes me a tumblr-bitch but I really want humanoid Midna. The only bad thing about that option is that there's already soooo many dark-aligned characters that the game could really use some more elemental diversity. There's like 4 of fire and water and probably twice as many dark guys.

Let's see, there's...

Light
Link - Hylian Sword
Link - Master Sword
Link - Epona
Zelda - Rapier
Fi
Agitha

Darkness
Midna
Ganondorf
Zant
Girahim
Cia
Wizzro

Fire
Link - Magic Rod
Impa - Naginata
Lana - Summoning Gate
Darunia
Volga

Water
Link - Great Fairy
Impa - Giant Blade
Lana - Deku Spear
Ruto

Lightning
Link - Gauntlets
Zelda - Baton
Lana - Book of Sorcery
Sheik

So that's six each of Light and Darkness (albeit three of those Light being on one guy and two of them being nearly identical), five Fire, and four each of Water and Lightning.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Triforce on Zelda's Hilda costume is still right-side up. :argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

That is how you get that skulltula, yes. Lana has one good single-target attack and it's BBBBY (the leaf blow), but the trick is to do a dash right before she jumps into the air. The first gust of wind does a lot of damage swiftly, but the jump into the air part is slow and useless.

BYYY is also a good thing to throw in against single targets as spear Lana, since it applies the water debuff.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CatsPajamas posted:

It seems like everybody's way ahead of me - I haven't touched the DLC content yet, and I'm still trying to finish the first Adventure Mode map and all the second Skulltulas in Legend/Free. Speaking of which, for the second Skulltula in "Shining Beacon," it's my understanding you have to defeat Volga once, wait for him to return, then use the Magic Circle and defeat him again. Is that right? Considering how little you can damage him and how much damage he does it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to fight him before using the Magic Circle (especially not with the Deku Spear, which doesn't seem to have strong single target focused attacks). Any advice?

You're correct, and it's a bit awkward that he carries a small swarm of officers with him too! My advice is to save scum, because one good hit from his "turn into a dragon and spin at you" attack is pretty much the end. You only have the option in Legendary Mode, you may as well use it.

Search around the area in front of the Fairy Fountain for boulders. There are a few you can blow open for jars, either health or magic (or there were when I was doing this, not sure if that's randomized). Rather than locking on to Volga, you may want to pick off a few of his irritating followers while you're swatting at him. Firstly, they may drop special meter increases that you can use to chip away at him and secondly, it gets them out of the way. You don't have any time constraints and Volga's weak spot meter (at least in my opinion) is a bit harder to get at than most, so you may just want to very slowly slap him with weak attacks or the basic BY unless you're feeling bold enough on your timing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

CatsPajamas posted:

Considering how little you can damage him and how much damage he does it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to fight him before using the Magic Circle

Well yeah, you aren't, in normal play. That's what makes getting the skulltula a challenge. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If that part is tough you're really going to hate having to fight the Dorf on the last map without depowering him first. :cry:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

If that part is tough you're really going to hate having to fight the Dorf on the last map without depowering him first. :cry:

This is the longest fight ever. Just pounding away with the hammer for a solid 10 minutes.

Fortunately however, unlike Volga, Gandondorf isn't hard to fight. So it takes longer, but it's much easier.

Of course I was also an idiot and thought you had to fight Volga twice before depowering him.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

How specific are the Hard Skulltula weapon restrictions, anyhow?
If a skulltula specifies Giant's Blade as a requirement:
Is it enough to have that type of weapon, like for example Giant's Blade/Biggoron's Knife/Biggoron's Sword, or does it specifically have to be Giant's Blade, to make it harder?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It can be any rank of that weapon type, yeah.

e: Bear in mind that the Master Sword does not count as a Hylian Sword, though.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RyokoTK posted:

The Triforce on Zelda's Hilda costume is still right-side up. :argh:

Legend Mode used the upside-down Triforce as an 'unholy' symbol similar to an upside-down cross. They're not going to put it on Zelda/Hilda even if it's proper to do so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ganondorf definitely takes awhile to hammer away at without taking the keep, but either way, I find the harder thing to be the Dinolfos attack squad that gets released at the same time. Dorf can get a few hits in if you aren't careful and it stings, but it's not like you need an A rank for that mission and you've got potions. Keeping the entire team alive can be a bit of a pain, though. It seems like Ruto needs help every second.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I wish unlocking the rewards maps wasn't so backloaded, because I still only have the first one unlocked and I have no idea which skulltulas go where and I think the Legend Hard Mode skulltulas seem to be unlocking something with the giant bosses and gently caress me if I'm going to willingly choose to fight the Imprisoned again.

Also, confirmed that Nintendo hates fun because it seems like the character swapping glitch was patched out with the Master Quest update. Yet there are Master Quest levels where the enemy commander is using a different weapon -- I've seen Zelda and Sheik using Link's sword, Sheik using Zelda's rapier, and Zelda using Sheik's harp. They have to be taunting us at this point.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

I wish unlocking the rewards maps wasn't so backloaded, because I still only have the first one unlocked and I have no idea which skulltulas go where and I think the Legend Hard Mode skulltulas seem to be unlocking something with the giant bosses and gently caress me if I'm going to willingly choose to fight the Imprisoned again.

Also, confirmed that Nintendo hates fun because it seems like the character swapping glitch was patched out with the Master Quest update. Yet there are Master Quest levels where the enemy commander is using a different weapon -- I've seen Zelda and Sheik using Link's sword, Sheik using Zelda's rapier, and Zelda using Sheik's harp. They have to be taunting us at this point.

I choose to interpret the presence of those you list as a sign to have hope.

Though to be fair Fi might have a little trouble doing Darunia's focus finisher.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Zant is most effective when you aren't really worrying about weakpoints and are just kind of sweeping up huge groups to nuke them with your special. Try using yyx and keep mashing x until your crazy gauge is full, that's by far the safest combo for building meter. Then use your strong attack spin attack and try to hoover up as many guys as you can, paying special attention to grabbing captains. When it ends, it should drop everybody in front of you at the perfect distance to use your special.

I didn't even realize I could mash Y (I use zelda controls, fuckers) during one of his crazy attack combos and just keep repeating it to fill the meter. I thought I had to keep using them individually to fill the meter.

This would have been useful in the 6 or so attempts at A ranking his level 3 mission. I discovered that I could do this after I already beat it, barely, in another mission where I was just trying to A-Rank to get a heart piece.

Zant is now my highest leveled character, and holy gently caress I think he owns, if you just keep filling his meter like crazy by doing this.

He still sucks against giant bosses though

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 22, 2014

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I think Cia has cemented her place in being my favorite character to play as due to her incredible versatility. I tried doing the stage that has Gohma, Argorok and the imprisoned as other characters and got destoyed until I used Cia. I murdered the hell out of Gohma and Argorok while the imprisoned can't do poo poo while I sniped all his toes from a distance. I just wish you could go hatless but still have the mask on.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Wild Knight posted:

Yet there are Master Quest levels where the enemy commander is using a different weapon -- I've seen Zelda and Sheik using Link's sword, Sheik using Zelda's rapier, and Zelda using Sheik's harp.

This confused the poo poo out of me the first time I saw Zelda running around with a harp doing ninja flips. I'm all for it, though, and they should make it a full-fledged feature if they're gonna tease it like that.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

W.T. Fits posted:

So that's six each of Light and Darkness (albeit three of those Light being on one guy and two of them being nearly identical), five Fire, and four each of Water and Lightning.

Seems like as good an excuse as any to give more water and lightning! Especially since the great fairy barely counts as water since she's less 'water' and more 'bombs, giggles and falling moons'.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
This was last page, but as someone who exclusively plays 2-player I can say the Great Fairy is exactly as fast as every other character in the game.

Also about Sheik OP talk: The water shield lets you 100% ignore Poe attacks too. It's just dumb and awesome and I've loved her since Melee. :allears:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah Sheik is great, the "get off me" combo breaker doesn't work on you either so sometimes enemies just release 20 explosions desperate to get this ninja off them and it never works.

Something to clear up: You don't even need to zap volga with the great fairy's magic. I beat him once- ran in and instantly Great Fairy nuked everyone else and waited for Zelda to power Volga down. Soon as I killed him the second time the skulltula showed up.

Also Ganondorf was mad easy while red in the last mission- maybe it's because I love using Darunia but I downed him in like 2 minutes while only taking a single hit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Darunia's probably my favorite character right now just for style. No elaborate combos or magic poo poo, just HAMMER and shoulder checks. Can't figure out what to do with his strong attack roll thing really, though, and his YYYYX that leaves a pool of lava seems pretty pointless with the small area.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You roll into enemy generals to destroy their weakpoints

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Darunias level 3 mission: OH MY GOD gently caress THIS poo poo

Holy christ what can you even do? I'm level 47 with a 5 star level 2 hammer, and I just can't loving keep up. I guess you're supposed to take one keep, take care of Zelda and Ganondorf, and then take the second one so that you can deal with that christing moblin without too much trouble. But still there are so many loving Moblins. Is there some trick to this I'm missing?

edit: I only have 3 weapons left to get on the first Adventure map, and this is by far the worst one I've encountered. Zelda's lv 2 baton didn't even come close to this horrible, horrible mission.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
ugh, talking about the Deku Spear skulluta I actually managed to kill Volga twice, but it didnt pop up. Part of the description is keeping ??? alive and both Ruto and Fi fled for me. Did that screw me over?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Darunias level 3 mission: OH MY GOD gently caress THIS poo poo

Holy christ what can you even do? I'm level 47 with a 5 star level 2 hammer, and I just can't loving keep up. I guess you're supposed to take one keep, take care of Zelda and Ganondorf, and then take the second one so that you can deal with that christing moblin without too much trouble. But still there are so many loving Moblins. Is there some trick to this I'm missing?

edit: I only have 3 weapons left to get on the first Adventure map, and this is by far the worst one I've encountered. Zelda's lv 2 baton didn't even come close to this horrible, horrible mission.

I agree with you, it's really hard! But there is a great trick to it that Oxxidation taught me.

Oxxidation posted:

I just finished Darunia's. It seems like the main strategy is to divide your attention between capturing the keeps and maintaining a buffer between your base and the encroaching Moblins - don't bother fighting the Moblins directly, but make sure they always need to march through a few keeps, Captains, and Fi on the way to your base. My own allies were able to whittle down both Ganondorf and Zelda to nothing if I just kept swamping them in blue. Once you've captured the required four keeps, you can clear out the Moblins that made it to your base and then go take out Link.

Handy thing to know about Link, and possibly other officers: guard, don't dodge. Guarding against him baits him into busting out his special attacks. In the endgame maps, if you dodge/keep your distance, enemy officers will just try to poke you or spam guards of their own and waste all of your time.

Trying to handle all of that on my own, like you were doing, was taking too long and getting me too much damage. Let your allies do the work for you and it becomes easy.

I just got Cia's level 3 staff, so that's all the Level 3 weapons! Now I guess I'll get the last two costumes and then clean up the less interesting (to me) 8-Bit weapons before finishing the map.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Went after an Impa heart container, and forgot that the fuckers summon Dodongo at the end of the mission. Farmed up to 1200 kills, killed the Big Poe, put my controller down, panicked a bit. Managed to scrape through with 3 seconds to spare. Good lord that was intense.

Riazer
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished Agithas Level3 Mission.
I finally learned to appreciate the Butterfly, it deals a lot of damage to the Dinolfos and almost nothing can hit her.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I agree with you, it's really hard! But there is a great trick to it that Oxxidation taught me.

Trying to handle all of that on my own, like you were doing, was taking too long and getting me too much damage. Let your allies do the work for you and it becomes easy.

I just got Cia's level 3 staff, so that's all the Level 3 weapons! Now I guess I'll get the last two costumes and then clean up the less interesting (to me) 8-Bit weapons before finishing the map.

Alright, guess I'll give it another crack. How much attention should I be giving to the assault moblin and siege moblins? If I go back to deal with them I end up getting bogged down forever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Alright, guess I'll give it another crack. How much attention should I be giving to the assault moblin and siege moblins? If I go back to deal with them I end up getting bogged down forever.

You need to kill them personally as soon as possible since they will cause you to lose if you don't. Go for weak point smashes and bash on them with regular attacks. You pretty much never want to use any combos on this mission since they'll open you up for too much damage.

Basically spend no time whatsoever time fighting Zelda and Ganondorf so you have as much time as possible to deal with the moblins and capture the keeps.

E: Wow Fi's master quest costume is really cool looking.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 22, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I might be a bit slow on this, but I just realized the rationale behind Ghirahim's gimmick; whenever you fight him in Skyward Sword, he talks about being bound to you by a thread of fate. His strong attack creates a literal thread of fate.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Spergatory posted:

I might be a bit slow on this, but I just realized the rationale behind Ghirahim's gimmick; whenever you fight him in Skyward Sword, he talks about being bound to you by a thread of fate. His strong attack creates a literal thread of fate.

He said things? I just remember him licking Link's face.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to kill them personally as soon as possible since they will cause you to lose if you don't. Go for weak point smashes and bash on them with regular attacks. You pretty much never want to use any combos on this mission since they'll open you up for too much damage.

Basically spend no time whatsoever time fighting Zelda and Ganondorf so you have as much time as possible to deal with the moblins and capture the keeps.

E: Wow Fi's master quest costume is really cool looking.

I got it! Holy poo poo, praise be!

I did more or less what you said. I capped the bottom two keeps first, and then I went for the siege captains. The assault mob just has too much hp, he's a waste of time. After killing those two, I left Fi to her own devices and went and grabbed the other two keeps. I had a solid 5 minutes to play defense after that. Which is good, because Ganondorf made it into the allied base and I ended up having to kill him.

Fi took surprisingly little damage that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Naerasa posted:

He said things? I just remember him licking Link's face.

The things we remember.

• Locked thread