Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, the fact that the Flash's city and Starling use the same prison is a little...weird. Or are there lots of Iron Heightses?

Also the inconsistency of the bright obvious gas clouds and the fact that (excluding the final confrontation) no one could seem to see them. Notice how Detective Not-Lance just did not react to the big swirling cloud that choked the guard at the prison. (Did Barry not bother using the cure on him by the way? Just let that dude die, I guess?)

Bad Moon posted:

I wish they'd do something better with Iris. It's like Arrow and Flash have a rule that one female lead must be under utilized or annoying.
Yeah, my biggest complaint about the ep was that every scene with Iris was insufferable filler. You have gasdudes poisoning people, you have a plot about someone losing their fiancé - and you cut to the most boring, low stakes drama about someone boring hiding a boring relationship from their father?

It's weird enough that they totally ripped the Love Interest and Her Detective Father wholesale from Arrow, but to then repeat the same mistakes they made with Laurel too?

Death By The Blues posted:

Man this bf is like the perfect generic white guy build with spare parts by the CW
Hah, I totally know what you mean. It honestly took me out of the episode a little.

On a more positive note, I'll totally agree with these points:

Deadpool posted:

There really is a ton of effects work on this show. And most all of it has been done really well too so far.

Spergatory posted:

With that score in the background, Barry could go grocery shopping and it would be heroic as hell. :911:

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm sorry people have deep morality issues with the imprisonment of a murderer who can become a poison gas cloud. What the gently caress else were they supposed to do with him?

I kind of get people not liking him being imprisoned without a trial but publicly trying a man who basically breaks all known laws of physics would require publicly acknowledging that metahumans are A Thing, which would open an enormous can of plot worms on top of requiring infrastructure that does not exist yet. It's episode three for Christ's sake. It would be nice if Flash and company could set up some kind of partnership with state and local governments but I'm pretty sure right now they're just trying to get their proverbial get on the ground.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

Seemed like a cramped forest road, not a lot of room to run in circles. Vancouver Central City :argh:

This is why you can't shoot in Vancouver. If there's one thing I've learned from Carmine Infantino, it's that Central City has streets that are as wide as a football field.

I'm slightly disappointed that there is no Martin Stein to go with Ronnie Raymond since Firestorm being two guys in one was one of the neat things about him. OTOH, I suspect that they're going to make him more of a Doctor Manhattan than a Firestorm since that would be an interesting hook for the show.

Spergatory posted:

I'm sorry people have deep morality issues with the imprisonment of a murderer who can become a poison gas cloud. What the gently caress else were they supposed to do with him?

Contain him in a bottle, hand him over to the police, and explain to them how he could be locked up?

I am looking forward to the Flash going public which I think is going to happen sooner rather than later.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Spergatory posted:

Considering the guy was lawfully sentenced to death, and an attempt at execution was carried out, I'm not sure why they are keeping him alive at all - this guy is the one rogue so far that they would have been 100% justified in just killing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've recently cast Stein so he's still going to show up.

Also nice to see that Robbie was able to escape from the CW hell of "person in their 20's playing a high school student."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So... Barry Allan is Harry Dresden and Star Labs is his Demonreach? :catdrugs:

e: Oh poo poo the talk between Barry and dad; am I the only person who feels like that was hinting rather heavily that was may be seeing the Crisis Paradox stuff?!?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 22, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I'm slightly disappointed that there is no Martin Stein to go with Ronnie Raymond since Firestorm being two guys in one was one of the neat things about him. OTOH, I suspect that they're going to make him more of a Doctor Manhattan than a Firestorm since that would be an interesting hook for the show.

For what it's worth, Firestorm's powers are pretty close to Dr. Manhattan's except he can't create or directly affect organic molecules.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

For what it's worth, Firestorm's powers are pretty close to Dr. Manhattan's except he can't create or directly affect organic molecules.

Actually, Firestorm can affect organic molecules, he just has a psychological block against it.
:goonsay:

And as long as I'm posting, the use of The Mist in this episode made me think that Starman (pretty much any version) would be a good fit for the show.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 22, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Seriously, by now the crew should just assume that every death that happened on the day of the storm is actually a future metahuman, compile a list of their hobbies and prepare accordingly.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
The faster-than-sound(light?) superhero sure does a lot of standing still and gawking at incoming punches

(fun nitpick, but it cracks me up when it keeps happening)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

jng2058 posted:

Barry Allen = The Flash
Joe West = Cop Dad
Iris West = Cop's Daughter
Eddie Thawne = Cop's Partner, Daughter's Boyfriend
Harrison G Wells = Wheelchair Science Guy
Ramon Cisco = Tech Guy
Caitlin Snow = Bereaved Science Girl

Only one I haven't picked up off the top of my head is Barry's Dad's first name. Other than that, it's pretty easy.

I think it's Henry.

I like the show a lot so far - the samey structure is kind of eh, sure, but Wells being ~mysterious manipulator~ works well enough for me with the smug face the actor has.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Considering the guy was lawfully sentenced to death, and an attempt at execution was carried out, I'm not sure why they are keeping him alive at all - this guy is the one rogue so far that they would have been 100% justified in just killing.

They did sentence him to death because no one is gonna feed him. Or maybe he is fed by the same guy who feeds Deathstroke on Arrow :v:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They did sentence him to death because no one is gonna feed him. Or maybe he is fed by the same guy who feeds Deathstroke on Arrow :v:

I always imagined they just lowered a live deer into deathstroke's cell periodically.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When it's time to feed Mist, they have Barry stand with a big hand fan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

The faster-than-sound(light?) superhero sure does a lot of standing still and gawking at incoming punches

(fun nitpick, but it cracks me up when it keeps happening)

Neither right now, but if he actually was faster than light he would have to stop to gawk.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think what bothers me with Cisco is his characterization, looks, and personality all seem like they'd be better suited to power rangers. He'd be a great nerd ranger, or maybe just aide comic relief guy.

Are they making him a love interest for Caitlin? I guess every girl who's been single for nearly a year needs a vibe.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

greatn posted:

Are they making him a love interest for Caitlin? I guess every girl who's been single for nearly a year needs a vibe.

:laffo:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rocksicles posted:

They purpose built a gigantic superpower generator. :colbert:

Yes they did.

aquaper
Apr 3, 2009

greatn posted:

She would give him the cold shoulder but he'll just shake it off.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
God drat this is a good show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

greatn posted:

I guess every girl who's been single for nearly a year needs a vibe.

What was in his pocket at the time of the accident(?) if it turns out he's a metahuman?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Mr Beens posted:

it just so happens that this guy has had his powers for 9 months and a bit and has only now just decided to take his revenge on the 3 items on his list.

Yeah it's best you drop the show, probably, because that is literally going to be the case all the time. There was a 9 month time skip from the moment of the accident. The show has already established that the metals haven't really been doing much until now. If you can't let that go, you're gonna have a bad time.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

ComposerGuy posted:

Yeah it's best you drop the show, probably, because that is literally going to be the case all the time. There was a 9 month time skip from the moment of the accident. The show has already established that the metals haven't really been doing much until now. If you can't let that go, you're gonna have a bad time.

I'm just assuming that since Flash was in a coma for 9 months that maybe the others also suffered some adverse effects :shrug:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wezlar posted:

I'm just assuming that since Flash was in a coma for 9 months that maybe the others also suffered some adverse effects :shrug:

This or, it takes time to practice and get good enough to be a threat.

It seems like Barry is unique so far, in that his power is automatic. He just runs/moves.

The other folks, weather wizard, multiplex, cloud guy all seemed like they had to concentrate and expend a lot of effort to do their thing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The Lord Bude posted:

I always imagined they just lowered a live deer into deathstroke's cell periodically.

Imagining this scenario is amazing.

I guess they could purpose Firestorm as a Dr. Manhattan type, but would DC give Flash the rights to Captain Atom? Also, would they want to introduce something like that to the show this early...or ever?

Dr. Manhattan is a real liability, as plot stakes go. Flash is a really fast guy, who under a liberal interpretation can do pretty godlike things. But Dr. Manhattan is an un-killable consciousness who is only embodied because he chooses to be. He can't die, can literally re-order material reality at will, and sees the future.

It kind of kills the tension if there's a character who can turn a gas-monster metahuman into a mountain of gold. Unless they just reproduce Watchmen and position him as too nihilistic and passive to intervene...which would be a weird call for the CW.

"It's 2014. I'm on the salmon ladder, becoming a tumblr gif. It's 2006. I first notice I'm developing abs. As I flex in the mirror, it's 2016, and shippers are weeping."

Xealot fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 22, 2014

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VBane posted:

No idea where else to post this, but apparently its being reported that WB is working on a live action Static Shock series now with a big name producer behind it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-unveils-first-development-742586

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I wonder if we ever see future flash we'll get John Shipp in the costume? I mean it could be expected that Barry Grows up to look like his dad when he hits 40/50, but would it be too on the nose to have Shipp don the suit (especially if it looks a lot more like the one he wore in the 90's which still holds up really well as fas as i'm concerned).

edit: Also, who's writing this show and why aren't they writing ALL the super hero shows? Not only addressing that they need a prison but that they also killed the last 2 metas (which is unsustainable) reeks of a level of self aware logic that I've rarely seen applied to TV shows in general, never mind super hero ones.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Kin posted:

edit: Also, who's writing this show and why aren't they writing ALL the super hero shows? Not only addressing that they need a prison but that they also killed the last 2 metas (which is unsustainable) reeks of a level of self aware logic that I've rarely seen applied to TV shows in general, never mind super hero ones.

Geoff Johns is a big part of the production team, for both Flash and Arrow. Considering he's done work on the comics, there can't be anyone else more fitting to help work the shows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Enjoying the show, but if we have to sit through multiple conversations involving the words run/walk and fast/slow each episode from now, I may have to punch something. Hopefully the writers will eventually get their fill and work it out of their system.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Scyantific posted:

Geoff Johns is a big part of the production team, for both Flash and Arrow. Considering he's done work on the comics, there can't be anyone else more fitting to help work the shows.

See, that's genius. Take a writer from one medium (i'm assuming he's known for being a good writer, i'm rubbish at keeping track of these things) and have him involved in making sure that the content on another medium is of the same quality.

Who's the idiot that's writing Gotham?

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Xealot posted:

It kind of kills the tension if there's a character who can turn a gas-monster metahuman into a mountain of gold. Unless they just reproduce Watchmen and position him as too nihilistic and passive to intervene...which would be a weird call for the CW.

I'm thinking they'll make him much less powerful than his comics incarnation, like the Flash (so far).

Robbie Amell also mentioned Firestorm's gonna be kinda nuts at least when he first shows up, maybe he's just not stable enough to be a Dr.Manhattan-level game changer.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
"Heh Barry going fast? It'll take three days before we see anything get done!! Get it? You're not a fast person." :smug:

- "If only they knew..." *winks at camera*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kin posted:

See, that's genius. Take a writer from one medium (i'm assuming he's known for being a good writer, i'm rubbish at keeping track of these things) and have him involved in making sure that the content on another medium is of the same quality.

Who's the idiot that's writing Gotham?

Johns is a pretty popular writer and he has written a lot of really well liked stuff. BSS mostly hates him but BSS mostly hates everything.

EgoEgress posted:

I'm thinking they'll make him much less powerful than his comics incarnation, like the Flash (so far).

Robbie Amell also mentioned Firestorm's gonna be kinda nuts at least when he first shows up, maybe he's just not stable enough to be a Dr.Manhattan-level game changer.

I would imagine that Dr. Stein helps stabilize him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teek posted:

Enjoying the show, but if we have to sit through multiple conversations involving the words run/walk and fast/slow each episode from now, I may have to punch something. Hopefully the writers will eventually get their fill and work it out of their system.

I wouldn't mind the opposite where Cisco or Barry are making quips and puns at bad guys.

EgoEgress posted:

One of Firestorm's big hang-ups is how there's two heads operating one body. Imagine a scenario where Stein tells Ronnie to turn a falling piece of debris into Helium. Ronnie fucks up and thinks Hydrogen instead. Oops.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Johns is a pretty popular writer and he has written a lot of really well liked stuff. BSS mostly hates him but BSS mostly hates everything.

In BSS's defense, Johns has his quirks like preferring to push Hal Jordan over all other Green Lanterns and the total erasure of Wally West from Flash comics.

That said, he's also done a lot of positive work which I enjoyed and BSS can often be totally incapable of separating past good work from currently questionable work (see also Brian Bendis).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EgoEgress posted:

Or, he's not a regular player in the superhero game. He could be the detached omnipotent being to Barry's humanist one.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Thwomp posted:

In BSS's defense, Johns has his quirks like preferring to push Hal Jordan over all other Green Lanterns and the total erasure of Wally West from Flash comics.

That said, he's also done a lot of positive work which I enjoyed and BSS can often be totally incapable of separating past good work from currently questionable work (see also Brian Bendis).

Johns is a fanboy, for better and for worse. He can tap into the history and lore to weave a fantastic tapestry of comic book storytelling, or he can wind up putting out licensed fanfiction that serves to drag things down by association. Him being one of the head honchos at DC can only wind up exacerbating this, because it gives him a level of clout over other writers (see: how most of GL continuity was kept post-Flashpoint even though some events should have been impossible).

Thankfully, Flash so far seems to be one of those cases that benefits from having such a fan behind the scenes - someone who can vouch for and support its sheer difference of direction when Arrow was clearly banking on potential similarities to Nolan's Batman, and WB have thrown a gritty filter over their future film projects. Assuming he's that involved, anyway.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

greatn posted:

I think what bothers me with Cisco is his characterization, looks, and personality all seem like they'd be better suited to power rangers. He'd be a great nerd ranger, or maybe just aide comic relief guy.

Cisco would own as a Ranger, maybe Green or Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Solaris Knight posted:

Cisco would own as a Ranger, maybe Green or Black.

I KNEW he looked familiar!

• Locked thread