Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Absolutely perfect pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McPantserton posted:

Well let's make up for it with real cosplay, here's my best friend as Kerrigan and me and my other bestie lumbering along behind her.

How tall are you and your friends in those marine suits?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Trast posted:

How tall are you and your friends in those marine suits?

I'm about 5'8" normally and the suits add about 3.5-4.5" in the feet (depending on what shoes you're wearing in them) and something like 3-6" in the hood depending on how tight the inner straps are, so bumps me up about 9" on average? So 6'5" or so, and my dude friend would be more like 6'8" ish since he's a little taller than me.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

McPantserton posted:

I'm about 5'8" normally and the suits add about 3.5-4.5" in the feet (depending on what shoes you're wearing in them) and something like 3-6" in the hood depending on how tight the inner straps are, so bumps me up about 9" on average? So 6'5" or so, and my dude friend would be more like 6'8" ish since he's a little taller than me.

drat, that is a lot to lug around. And being I am 6'4'' a suit like that might add a full foot to me if the scale kept. That would be a pretty cool sight to see stomping around.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Trast posted:

drat, that is a lot to lug around. And being I am 6'4'' a suit like that might add a full foot to me if the scale kept. That would be a pretty cool sight to see stomping around.

Fortunately they are very, very light! The heaviest parts are the wood platforms for the feet and the PVC frame where the backpack straps mount. I'd be surprised if a full suit weighed more than 20 lbs. I think we'd have to do some tweaks in assembly for somebody as tall as you with this setup but it would definitely be doable and absurdly impressive to behold once it was done!

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Comic con this week in London, looking forward to it as it's our first convention. Just going to shoot pictures and soak up the experience. It's the Excel one and we got the top tier tickets as per goon advice. Anything for a first timer? Enough to chew on for a day we hope! Bring it on.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

McPantserton posted:

Fortunately they are very, very light! The heaviest parts are the wood platforms for the feet and the PVC frame where the backpack straps mount. I'd be surprised if a full suit weighed more than 20 lbs. I think we'd have to do some tweaks in assembly for somebody as tall as you with this setup but it would definitely be doable and absurdly impressive to behold once it was done!

That armor being about twenty pounds is really impressive. Also now I need to add "dress as giant space marine and lumber around in public" to my bucket list.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

simosimo posted:

Comic con this week in London, looking forward to it as it's our first convention. Just going to shoot pictures and soak up the experience. It's the Excel one and we got the top tier tickets as per goon advice. Anything for a first timer? Enough to chew on for a day we hope! Bring it on.

Went a couple of years ago and did pretty much the same thing. It was pretty good fun and saw some decent costumes but seeing that many mspa trolls and furries in person for the first time was a bit of an eye opener. A fair amount of the time we just spent sat on the steps outside and people watched.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

McPantserton posted:

Have you ever tripped in that suit? I imagine it would not be very fun to face plant in one of those.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Overminty posted:

Went a couple of years ago and did pretty much the same thing. It was pretty good fun and saw some decent costumes but seeing that many mspa trolls and furries in person for the first time was a bit of an eye opener. A fair amount of the time we just spent sat on the steps outside and people watched.

I've never been anywhere near 'internet' stuff so I consider myself lucky, so it will be an experience to see this stuff in person. Hope we don't blitz through the stuff in a couple of hours and be like, welp cya!

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
ffxiv wolf pup minion cosplay at fanfest

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Goddamn, that looks so much like my dog.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Crossposting from the DIY cosplay there, but here we go - I finally got in contact with the dude I'd been waiting on, and he got some CRAZY good shots. Here's a little taste -

And Here's the gallery

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Cosplay is totally sweet dude! But man, goddamn I hate these dutch angle shots. Like in this one you're almost horizontal:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Geektox posted:

Cosplay is totally sweet dude! But man, goddamn I hate these dutch angle shots. Like in this one you're almost horizontal:

He's just acting out the player turning clipping off.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Geektox posted:

Jeez, that is the dutchest angle I've ever seen. Maybe his tripod was in the process of falling over while he was taking the picture? That can't have been intentional.

e: The costume is definitely rad though. Was it hard to see out of Artorias's weird hood-met?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

simosimo posted:

I've never been anywhere near 'internet' stuff so I consider myself lucky, so it will be an experience to see this stuff in person. Hope we don't blitz through the stuff in a couple of hours and be like, welp cya!

You'd have trouble getting around all of MCM in just a few hours, it's kinda ridicu-huge. If you're in for both days, the Sunday is the easier day to get around the place, Saturday can get a bit elbow-to-elbow. Be prepared for a reasonably large queue anyway, and if you plan to buy stuff, bring cash since the cash machine queues get horrendous!

I've got a table in the Comic Village part near the back, so I don't see all the cosplayers that hang out at the front til I'm leaving at closing time, but they hang around out there for a while afterwards. Outside is probably the best place to get pictures, if it isn't chucking it down!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
How rude is it to not buy tickets and stay in con lobby just to take pictures of costumes?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Aleph Null posted:

How rude is it to not buy tickets and stay in con lobby just to take pictures of costumes?

I go to cons and just cosplay around in the lobby without registering at least once or twice a year!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Which cons do you go to? It'd be awesome to get to see the SoB outfit!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Xun posted:

Which cons do you go to? It'd be awesome to get to see the SoB outfit!

This year it'll be GenCon, Anime Central, GeekKon, Anime Milwaukee, Daisho Con (aka McPantserton Drunk in a Pool), and possibly C2E2. Definitely wearing the 40k at Daisho Con, Anime Central, C2E2 if I go, and maybe Anime Milwaukee, depends on what else my group wants to do. :D

Here's a cosplayer I love, Miss Sinister as Kratos from God of War:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That's pretty well done, even the face paint is close (and a lot of people gently caress that up somehow).

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Cicadas! posted:

Jeez, that is the dutchest angle I've ever seen. Maybe his tripod was in the process of falling over while he was taking the picture? That can't have been intentional.

e: The costume is definitely rad though. Was it hard to see out of Artorias's weird hood-met?

drat near impossible, actually. You've got a teeeeny-tiny field of vision and you gotta tilt your head back to see anything in front of you, what with the low helmet and all. It was a huge pain trying to get the hood and cloak just right for the photos, especially wearing gloves. I didn't have a handler buddy to help me out that day, sadly.

EDIT - Whelp, was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 13:41 on Oct 23, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
They don't stop rotating either.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Seriously, amateur cosplay photographers--canted angles don't immediately make your photos amazing. Let your subject tell the story. Someone spent hours upon hours of work on that costume. If I have to tilt my head to figure out what's going on, all I think is "someone wanted this to look super fuckin' cool."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just wanted to say thanks for all the awesome photos and outfits in this thread (I just caught up and there's too many to list).

The amount of work and care cosplayers put into costumes and props still amazes me every time I see a new gallery.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Oct 24, 2014

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

McKilligan posted:

Had a ton of photos taken, I'm justing hoping that the photographers rememeber to e-mail me the copies. In the meantime, here's what I managed to find from Saturday -

Guess who managed to tuck their cloak under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

Very Good!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

McPantserton posted:

Are those fingers in the marine armor remotely articulated, just like in canon? I can't totally tell from the picture but it looks like it. Really amazing work!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

McPantserton posted:

This year it'll be GenCon, Anime Central, GeekKon, Anime Milwaukee, Daisho Con (aka McPantserton Drunk in a Pool), and possibly C2E2. Definitely wearing the 40k at Daisho Con, Anime Central, C2E2 if I go, and maybe Anime Milwaukee, depends on what else my group wants to do. :D

Here's a cosplayer I love, Miss Sinister as Kratos from God of War:

Related:

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
Is the guy on the left a male version of Nariko from Heavenly Sword?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ScotchDK posted:

Is the guy on the left a male version of Nariko from Heavenly Sword?

Most likely even if the circlet/headband is a bit oversized.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'm a bit disappointed those were edited in. It would have been perfect to straws or toothpicks with them.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

DeusExMachinima posted:

Are those fingers in the marine armor remotely articulated, just like in canon? I can't totally tell from the picture but it looks like it. Really amazing work!

They are, but not very well, hahaha. They're more difficult to flex than I'd like. Definitely something I'd spend more time on next time around, I did the final articulating on my set of hands in the car on the way to GenCon. :gonk:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
MCM London was good fun! Click pics for bigs. The Aliens (there were two, and some marines wandering around) were great and had a constant crowd, rightly so they were fantastic, with retracting mouth-bit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

drat you British cosplayers work fast.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

McKilligan posted:

drat near impossible, actually. You've got a teeeeny-tiny field of vision and you gotta tilt your head back to see anything in front of you, what with the low helmet and all. It was a huge pain trying to get the hood and cloak just right for the photos, especially wearing gloves. I didn't have a handler buddy to help me out that day, sadly.

EDIT - Whelp, was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

Just to get a feel for construction, what did you use to create the armor? I remember it being EVA foam, but I don't recall how you got the paint to take.

I'm looking at the same thing right now - using yoga mats to create a chest piece, but from what I've seen, priming the surface is a good idea if you're painting it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

gamera009 posted:

Just to get a feel for construction, what did you use to create the armor? I remember it being EVA foam, but I don't recall how you got the paint to take.

I'm looking at the same thing right now - using yoga mats to create a chest piece, but from what I've seen, priming the surface is a good idea if you're painting it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045&userid=116728

There's a bit on a Raiden-ish costume and then he starts covering the construction of this one. Seems like he paints resin on to the foam to set it, sands, and then starts on the painting.

7c Nickel has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Oct 27, 2014

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
If you aren't into sanding you can coat EVA foam in glue too, I've done just PVA glue (Elmer's) or I've heard good things about a glue called FlexBond which are both more self-leveling than resin. Or a lot of people also use the aerosol cans of Plastidip, it's meant to rubberize grips and it does a good job protecting the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

7c Nickel posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473045&userid=116728

There's a bit on a Raiden-ish costume and then he starts covering the construction of this one. Seems like he paints resin on to the foam to set it, sands, and then starts on the painting.

Close! You have to prime the foam with wood glue BEFORE you apply resin. Polyurethane resin does not bind very well to EVA foam on it's own, but with a layer of wood glue it's fine. The resin is goes from the consistency of 'runny like water' to flu-snot over the course of like 30 seconds, so there are going to be alot of drips after it hardens, so you'll have to sand it smooth. Make sure you do that outside and wear a mask, I don't know if the dust is toxic or not but inhaling it won't do you any favors.
As far as painting goes, I just used pretty basic automotive spraypaint, primed it with a black semi-gloss, then a silver/chrome.
The EVA foam that I used wasn't quite the same as you find in Yoga mats - it's the same material, but the sheets that I found were much thinner, about....3/16 of an inch mostly, I think?

Anyway - here's a rough build log I compiled a while ago, let me know if you have any more questions.

• Locked thread