Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Sphinxster posted:

How can six chix be so consistently bad? You'd think one of them would draw/write something funny once in a while

I dunno, Stephanie Piro's stuff seems pleasant enough. I'm not necessarily laughing out loud, but how often do I do that here anyway?

Pogo (October 23, 1956)

Peanuts: Year One (August 13-15, 1951)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

EasyEW posted:

I dunno, Stephanie Piro's stuff seems pleasant enough. I'm not necessarily laughing out loud, but how often do I do that here anyway?

Pogo (October 23, 1956)

Nice shout out to Walt Kelly's son, Stephen.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year One (August 13-15, 1951)

Sure enough

There were a ton of these Peanuts comic books back then. As far as I know, Schulz only drew one comic book, as well as most of the covers, including the above. Otherwise, most of the Peanuts comic books were drawn by Dale Hale, who worked in animation on stuff like "Pink Panther", "Woody Woodpecker", and "Tiny Toons"

Here's one of Dale's Peanuts stories, from 1961:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm not going to post this comic but just for the sake of this thread's curiosity if you don't read the webcomics thread, I found that thread favorite David Reddick, the guy behind Intelligent Life, also has a webcomic called Life of Bill, which is about the adventures of Peter Griffin as a barbarian.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
It's Bleeker day.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not going to post this comic but just for the sake of this thread's curiosity if you don't read the webcomics thread, I found that thread favorite David Reddick, the guy behind Intelligent Life, also has a webcomic called Life of Bill, which is about the adventures of Peter Griffin as a barbarian.

Yeah, I've been familiar with it. He also works at Paws Inc. on "Garfield".

I wonder if Sergio Aragones should sue.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

I swear that there is a sane train of thought here.

Better than the version of Blood Meridian I was planning to photoshop out of "Out our Way". Probably.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County makes the best of bad situations.

Calvin And Hobbes make final boarding arrangements.

Ripley's

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Sarkese ambulance:

Also banned, until 2008: pigeons and unspayed dogs, unless you were the Seigneur.

One time, in 1990, some unemployed weirdo from France tried to invade and occupy Sark with a handful of friends and exactly one gun. He got arrested by one of the island's two cops when he sat down to check the magazine or something. It's a wonderful world out there.

(e: reading up on it a little more, he may not have had friends and Sark may have had only one cop at the time! I'm going to assume both of these are true because that makes it funnier.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 22, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 17, 1927)

Peanuts jumps to November 2, 1967 for seasonal reasons.

Funky Winkerbean

But enough about those guys, how about that Random Sports Team?

Popeye

Rip Haywire hatches a cunning plan.

Out Our Way (November 27-28, 1925)

Machine shop guys (and especially the shop foremen) are going to be another recurring theme going forward, so you might as well get used to the idea. And yeah, Williams also spent a few years doing that type of work.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Sarkese ambulance:

Also banned, until 2008: pigeons and unspayed dogs, unless you were the Seigneur.

One time, in 1990, some unemployed weirdo from France tried to invade and occupy Sark with a handful of friends and exactly one gun. He got arrested by one of the island's two cops when he sat down to check the magazine or something. It's a wonderful world out there.

(e: reading up on it a little more, he may not have had friends and Sark may have had only one cop at the time! I'm going to assume both of these are true because that makes it funnier.)

But why? I mean, by the time they got to the victim, even in "road gear", he/she'd be dead.

Anyway, that's not an X-15, this is:

That X-15 looks more like a hybridized F-104 Starfighter:

However, those were pretty drat fine F-86s, or FJ-4s!

I'm not really a plane nerd, but I play one on TV. I'm really a rocket nerd, but I think planes are cool too.

:science:

Anyway...

Jane's World

Cool James Bond-ian action! But wait, if the lip balm knocked the one chick out, why is Jill still standing? Unless, wait, the lip balm stick had two halves one half she used first as a barrier, and then the second half with the drug went on top of that! :v:

Non Sequitur

:ughh:

Heavenly Nostrils

That's a drat fine Unicorn pumpkin!

Kliban

I totally lost it at "Sphincter on a stick". Brilliant!

9 Chickweed Lane 10/22/2003

I don't think that "play on words" works very well, Brooke. And yeah, I agree with whoever said it, these guys (Boyce included) just cannot draw "bullies". C&H's "Moe" is the best by far.

Zits

Weird. Last night, I told my son, "Right, I'm headed to bed, the TV's yours." And he said, "Can I put it in my room?" I kid you not.

Kevin & Kell

Right. I have to agree with Wendell, here. So you knew this all along, but refused to do anything until somebody got injured? Genius, absolute genius. Probably a potential lawsuit too.

Ok, Ofelia's just a tad unsettling there.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Elissimpark posted:

Better than the version of Blood Meridian I was planning to photoshop out of "Out our Way". Probably.

This is an amazing idea and you should do it.

Intelligent Life

You're only making him hang around longer! Just fix the car an let him writhe in insecurity for a while.

Big Nate

I wouldn't, Nate, you might have to cover the American Idol years.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Intelligent Life

You're only making him hang around longer! Just fix the car an let him writhe in insecurity for a while.

AndThenTheyFucked.jpg

e; then the nerd shoots up the office cause he was so nice to her why didn't he get sex

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac is brilliant.

The Creeps has read poptropica today.

Poptropica

Heathcliff Makes another getaway, probably back to the meat house.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

But why? I mean, by the time they got to the victim, even in "road gear", he/she'd be dead.

Sark is a little island about a mile and a bit across with a few hundred people living on it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sorry about the small comics, for some reason GoComics isn't letting me get the larger versions.

Ham Shears basks in the nostalgia.

The Dinette Set is a second-hand borrower.

Working Daze is bad at motivation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

Sark is a little island about a mile and a bit across with a few hundred people living on it.

Although thanks to a couple billionaire supervillain twins, I think they don't have a doctor anymore.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

goatface posted:

Ah, yeah, that makes sense I think. I should've GIS'd it.

Tunicate posted:

Although thanks to a couple billionaire supervillain twins, I think they don't have a doctor anymore.

Ok, I GIS'd it. The Barclay's are complete, total, loving assholes. Wow.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Why did she not assume he had a specific couch in mind? Wouldn't she want to make sure he's not talking about some moldy bug-riddled thing he found on a street curb?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the reason for free range chickens/etc. wasn't because they tasted better but because it was more humane, so...
That won't stop people claiming they can taste the difference.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 22, 2014

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

quoted for some goddamn truth

Kennel posted:

That won't stop people claiming they can taste the difference.

Depending on the chicken, you can. The legal definition of free range is "access to the outside for some part of the day", so there are large commercial farms that sell "free-range" chickens that are just chickens that live in a gigantic closed barn with a tiny yard, and those don't taste or cook any differently. Free-ranged, pastured chickens, the ones that spend their lives in a flock and all day scratching in the dirt and walking around, have much less body fat than a standard commercially-farmed chicken and so they have to be cooked for less time. It's always a good idea to cook them breast-down as well, to retain what fat they do have. If cooked properly, the meat of a pastured chicken tastes a little bit different than commercially farmed chicken, it has a slight but noticeable game texture and taste to the meat. It's more complex and most people like it better if they get the chance to compare.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry about the small comics, for some reason GoComics isn't letting me get the larger versions.
Just a guess, but did you recently install Privacy Badger in Firefox? Same thing happened to me, but setting 's7.addthis.com' to 'Block cookies' (the yellow setting) fixed it.

Bloom County suddenly develops a new story-line.

Calvin And Hobbes bicker in SPACE!

Ripley's

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 22, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Just a guess, but did you recently install Privacy Badger in Firefox? Same thing happened to me, but setting 's7.addthis.com' to 'Block cookies' (the yellow setting) fixed it.

No, but I did just install µBlock for Chrome (since AdBlock Plus is an insane memory hog), and that's what's causing it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

bonestructure posted:

It's always a good idea to cook them breast-down as well, to retain what fat they do have. If cooked properly, the meat of a pastured chicken tastes a little bit different than commercially farmed chicken, it has a slight but noticeable game texture and taste to the meat. It's more complex and most people like it better if they get the chance to compare.

Not to turn this into comic strips with chickencheese, but I'd never heard that flip-the-chicken methodology before. Is that something you could try to prevent the breast meat from being too dry, or is that a thing only for pasture/free-range, as regular chicken would end up too fatty? I can do basic kitchen stuff, but putting birds or roasts in the oven is basically mystery zone to me.

In the meantime, lunch. And a comic. I need to find another comic worth posting, just doing the one feels kinda bare-bones. gently caress, I post three in the lovely webcomic thread.

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

e: imgur is being weird, this strip may not pop up for people. We'll see.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 22, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Twelve by Pies posted:

so basically that disney cartoon Dave the Barbarian except not funny or good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Great Moments in Rock 'n' Roll

I think I see a solution for the python and the mice there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sweetguts posted:

so basically that disney cartoon Dave the Barbarian except not funny or good

I like that Reddick's comics can be described as "like that thing a lot of people find funny and good, but not funny or good".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think I see a solution for the python and the mice there.

I presume the mice are for long-term feeding of the python? I dunno, man, snake people are weird.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of Money

Don Martin Dept.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept.

:stonklol:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's always amazing how dark old MAD magazine stuff used to be.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
The early Don Martin stuff is DARK. Like, that was his style until he became known for goofy sound effects.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Mister Beeg posted:

The early Don Martin stuff is DARK. Like, that was his style until he became known for goofy sound effects.

It's not really surprising considering that Gaines's EC comics was publishing Tales from the Crypt and Creepshow and all those great gory little pulp mags before they took a hand at MAD.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Or she can get her eyes checked. Or take a cab. Or a bus. Or ask her daughter to give her a ride once a week in exchange for watching the kid. Or any number of things short of moving into a new community, which if I remember right has a waiting list anyways.

Rex Morgan MD

gurp

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 22, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Or she can get her eyes checked. Or take a cab. Or a bus. Or ask her daughter to give her a ride once a week in exchange for watching the kid. Or any number of things short of moving into a new community, which if I remember right has a waiting list anyways.

Rex Morgan MD

Pot meet kettle.

GnatKingCoal
Dec 17, 2008

You, Sir, are UNAmerican!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

"... now put on the Striped Panties of Manhood, son!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gimme ideas for new thread subtitle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Comic Strip Megathread XVI: Stronger! Braver! Smarter! More just!

• Locked thread