Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Okay that Fitbit surge has me intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dauq
Mar 21, 2008
So, Google just put 500 million into http://www.magicleap.com/ which is apparently supposed to be like the augmented reality version of the Occulus goggles that you can take outside.
At least that's what the website seems to suggest, they're being pretty vague about it, but the jobs listing seems to point that way.

And since it's Google, maybe they're thinking of integrating with Glass somehow ?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dauq posted:

they're being pretty vague about it
This should clear things up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8J5BWL8oJY

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ummmm I have another one

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ummmm I have another one

Is that LG's new one? Thoughts so far?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

G-Prime posted:

Is that LG's new one? Thoughts so far?

Yup, G Watch R.

The screen/hardware blows away the Moto 360. I'd say the watch is better in every way, except I think I like the 360's appearance as a fashion accessory better... which is not insignificant.

I used a big black G-Shock every day before my smart watch addiction though so it's definitely my style. Needs a better band though, not a fan of leather on this or 360 (they're pretty much the same).

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 22, 2014

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yup, G Watch R.

The screen/hardware blows away the Moto 360. I'd say the watch is better in every way, except I think I like the 360's appearance as a fashion accessory better... which is not insignificant.

This is why I'm sticking with my 360. Even knowing that the G Watch R will outperform my 360 in almost every capacity, I just really, really prefer the way the 360 looks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Argyle posted:

This is why I'm sticking with my 360. Even knowing that the G Watch R will outperform my 360 in almost every capacity, I just really, really prefer the way the 360 looks.

I agree. Although the R would be a lot better if it didn't have the pips around the bezel, since it would eliminate the jarring effect that I feel is likely if you use a digital face with that watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Funny thing about the G R watch. The watchface does look better without the chin, but for some reason I really like having the chin when it displays the notifications.

I think it's because it makes the notification look more symmetrical with the chin the 360 has, more like a banner. Basically, i think there's too much white space in the notification when the chin isn't there.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

What is the chin referring to?

E: v v that would make sense, thanks.

surc fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 23, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

What is the chin referring to?
I assume it is in reference to the flat non-screen section at the bottom of the Moto 360.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I finally found a digital face that I love. Closest thing to material design, great activation/deactivation animations and very customizable:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pujie.wristwear.pujieblack

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good looking face. I only really like analog, and have yet to find an aftermarket face that looks better than the "Classic" that comes on the 360. The classic face also has indicators for when my calendar appointments are which is pretty freakin sweet.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

That's a good looking face. I only really like analog, and have yet to find an aftermarket face that looks better than the "Classic" that comes on the 360. The classic face also has indicators for when my calendar appointments are which is pretty freakin sweet.

Classic is seriously awesome. Haven't found one other face to permanently switch to. Now it's really good because I can hide cards.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
i haven't been paying too much attention to wearables. is there a android wear device out or announced that has:

GPS
heart rate monitor
round face
snapdragon 400 or better processor(not the slow TI)
wireless charging
NFC

also does android wear have google wallet capabilities?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no on-board GPS round one yet, nevermind the other things.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Come back in a year and we might have those things.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

What are you talking about? You can get these features right now

GPS (paired with phone)
heart rate monitor
round face
snapdragon 400 or better processor(not the slow TI)
wireless charging

G Watch R is technically not wireless charging (magnetic) but the charger is nice and easy.

Also the 4.4W.2 updated added a compass to my face today, which is pretty cool/useless in my city where mountains=north.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 23, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

He asked for GPS and NFC though too, and none have that.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

He asked for GPS and NFC though too, and none have that.

True on NFC, but...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reverse Centaur posted:

Got me on NFC, but...

No, you aren't quite understanding. The LG G R does not have an internal GPS chip, it's getting that info via bluetooth from the phone. He wants an Android Wear watch with built in GPS that won't have to rely on a phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

No, you aren't quite understanding. The LG G R does not have an internal GPS chip, it's getting that info via bluetooth from the phone. He wants an Android Wear watch with built in GPS that won't have to rely on a phone.

He never said that. There's GPS on the watch that works without ever touching your phone (I added "paired with phone" to be completely fair, but that's the case with almost everything). If you're using GPS without carrying a phone, that's a bit of a strange situation.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

He never said that. There's GPS on the watch that works without ever touching your phone (I added "paired with phone" to be completely fair, but that's the case with almost everything). If you're using GPS without carrying a phone, that's a bit of a strange situation.

You won it. You won the pendant pendant. Congratulations on splitting the finest of hairs.

Exercise stuff is a great reason to want GPS in a watch but I think even when its added it may be near unusable just due to the battery drain & relatively small watch batteries.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FormatAmerica posted:

You won it. You won the pendant pendant. Congratulations on splitting the finest of hairs.

Exercise stuff is a great reason to want GPS in a watch but I think even when its added it may be near unusable just due to the battery drain & relatively small watch batteries.

Pedant pendant.

As for the second point, there are tons of non-smart GPS watches.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I got the 360 update but I have to wait for the watch to charge a bit before I can update :(

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Len posted:

I got the 360 update but I have to wait for the watch to charge a bit before I can update :(

Sweeping cards down is too sweet.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FormatAmerica posted:

Your responded to the wrong guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My ideal Android Wear watch:
Is a watch.
Has Android Wear.
Wristband ideally.
Uses a battery. No hand cranks for me.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My ideal Android Wear watch:

Uses peefart.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Now this is a quality watchface. Are the shits animated?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I put peefart on my GWR and the bottom bit was still black. :( This is a big problem with Facer faces actually, only about 1 in 10 designed for full circles.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
What a world that we live in, where we are bitching about how much RAM and what kind of goddamn processor is in our watches.

Are people actually seeing a performance issue with the older processor in the Moto 360? I ask because I sure don't. It's a tiny device that is used to show you notifications. How much goddamn processing power do you need for this?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's like the difference between Samsung and Nexus phones. You can probably live with a bit of lag and might not even notice it, but if it bugs you it bugs you. It's hard to go back to my moto now.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
Even though the battery life is on now with a few updates its still a more inefficient processor so battery life suffers.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ninmeister posted:

Are people actually seeing a performance issue with the older processor in the Moto 360? I ask because I sure don't. It's a tiny device that is used to show you notifications. How much goddamn processing power do you need for this?
Yes, absolutely. I love my Moto 360 and wouldn't swap it for any other Wear device currently on the market but the lag that sometimes occurs when it first turns on is disgusting and obvious to anyone with eyes. I'm not even comparing it to other watches, it is just objectively bad in and of itself.

The watch lights up, you drag the notification up or right, and it lags and jerks as it moves across the screen.

It doesn't happen every time, and after a couple of seconds it's usually fine. I wonder if it could be improved by having the CPU-clock speed ramp up faster on wake via a kernel tweak but it's probably just the lovely CPU that they used.

Edit: On an unrelated note, the biggest problem I have with Wear right now is that it is too quick to decide if you are dragging up/down or left/right and you are then locked to that axis. A bunch of my "go back" swipes are completely ignored because my finger moved up or down a tiny bit first and the watch decided I was trying to swipe through cards that don't exist and promptly ignores the rest of my gesture.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 24, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ninmeister posted:

What a world that we live in, where we are bitching about how much RAM and what kind of goddamn processor is in our watches.

There are two issues, it's less power efficient and TI has basically discontinued support, it was a stupid, stupid design decision. I'd be fine with a slower processor if it meant better battery life but there is no good reason to put a barely supported slow power hungry processor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Holy hell offline music playback for Wear is currently hacky and convoluted.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/24/how-to-store-music-on-android-wear-for-offline-playback/

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
Doesn't seem that bad, it's just a shame you can't properly choose what you want on the wear devices if you use google music download feature for more than android wear. I can understand the slow transfer rate since I don't think Bluetooth is that fast for file transfer.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Don't know about nfc but the upcoming Sony android wear watch does have gps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
So syncing music to a Wear device rather than a phone is for the very specific use case of when you want to use a Bluetooth headphone connected directly to your watch and leave your phone at home?