Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Best depiction of ideas the Phi Kappa Avengers get after a couple kegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Those Avengers 99 panels are inked (probably finished, honestly) by Tom Sutton, who generally worked in a pretty cartoony style and went a little wonky when he tried to do "serious" superheroes sometimes. Not defending this particular art, but I'm guessing it was a styles clash possibly mixed with a rush job. There wasn't a consistent pencil/inker on Avengers for like a year there, and when BWS is allowed to pencil and ink himself the next issue (not for the whole issue, but for a few pages, it's a big improvement.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird, I hate the linework on the anatomy of the characters so very much, but I love how they're all staged, especially that vintage-looking Hulk under the tree.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men (Uncanny #205) where Wolverine goes feral while fighting Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers in Central Park at night during a snowstorm. That's a pretty good issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective Comics #35

Art by John Paul Leon and Dave Stewart

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 6, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did that girl get sucked up into the motor? Or is that a Batman-arm pulling her away?

(and that is some drat good art)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

candygram

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

redbackground posted:

Did that girl get sucked up into the motor? Or is that a Batman-arm pulling her away?

(and that is some drat good art)

Pretty sure yes, that is Batman saving her from being run over by the wheels, but presented really well and leaving some nail-biting tension. Well composed, well conveyed!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. It's Batman's arm.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
How can you not realize that's Batman with the cape right there?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Batman threw her into the motor

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

How can you not realize that's Batman with the cape right there?
That's what I get for trying to quickly make sense of all that madness on my lil' windows phone. :shrug:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

Batman threw her into the motor

Little known fact: Batman's no-killing rule only applies to adults of legal drinking age.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

Little known fact: Batman's no-killing rule only applies to adults of legal drinking age.

Little known fact: If it looks like an accident, Batman doesn't consider it murder.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

LordPants posted:

Little known fact: If it looks like an accident, Batman doesn't consider it murder.

So he basically operates on the same moral code as The Doctor?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LordPants posted:

Little known fact: Batman will loving kill you:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is like an alien trying to imitate humans by reading a book but having no actual idea how it is done.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Also weird red shading that matches her Skrull hair.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

Detective Comics #35

JP Leon is one of the best artists working and has been for a long, long time.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
We've been checking out the WWE Superstars comic in the Punchsports Pagoda.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Here are some highlights of WWE Superstars #7:

The prelude, main story, and fantasy sequences all have completely different art styles. I can see the reasoning for that, but unfortunately the art in the main story is far worse than the fantasy art. It seems the main artist really doesn't like to draw backgrounds.

Say your prayers...

Gavok posted:

Going with my earlier post, here's some wonderful art from WWE Superstars #8.

(that's supposed to be Batista on the floor)

Keep in mind that for the first eight issues of this series, Punk has been played as the main character in both storylines. Even though this comic came out weeks ago. So here's how this storyline ends.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I think... I think I have to start reading this comic...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
"Don't be a lemon. Be a rosebud" is going to become my battle cry.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo. I think... I think I have to start reading this comic...

It's... very special. It's co-written by Mick Foley, but each four issues is its own thing.

The first arc is about reimagining all the wrestlers as crime noir characters. Randy Orton is a mobster trying to become district attorney, John Cena is a cop who just got out of prison after being convicted of a crime he didn't commit, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are anarchists trying to take down the system, the Shield as corrupt cops, etc. The gimmick gets old by the third issue, there are way too many characters and the art suddenly gets terrible during the last issue (the artist from most of the above images fills in for several pages), but it's not the worst.

The second arc is the worst. That artist takes over for a story about Bryan, Punk and Mysterio having destroyed the backstage area and having no memory of their actions. They have two hours to uncover the mystery or they'll be fired. Might have been okay if it wasn't for some of the laziest art I've ever seen.

They're one issue into the new storyline, which has MUCH better art (not perfect, but really fitting for the story being told), is about some mysterious force capturing wrestlers from different points in history and forcing them to fight it out for the sake of entertainment. Daniel Bryan and 1986 Roddy Piper sneak away and try to figure out what's going on. The issue features Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin teaming up to fight robot pirates, so it has that going for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

They're one issue into the new storyline, which has MUCH better art (not perfect, but really fitting for the story being told), is about some mysterious force capturing wrestlers from different points in history and forcing them to fight it out for the sake of entertainment. Daniel Bryan and 1986 Roddy Piper sneak away and try to figure out what's going on. The issue features Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin teaming up to fight robot pirates, so it has that going for it.

Daniel Bryan is going to get a coconut to the head, and I can not wait.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm kinda happy they're doing insane stories like that. With good art I'd genuinely support it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Daniel Bryan is going to get a coconut to the head, and I can not wait.

The two got attacked by the Wild Samoans and Piper smashed one in the head with a coconut. "That trick always works!"

They also found some wrestlers kept in stasis tubes and Piper exclaimed, "They live!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

The two got attacked by the Wild Samoans and Piper smashed one in the head with a coconut. "That trick always works!"

They also found some wrestlers kept in stasis tubes and Piper exclaimed, "They live!"

Will we get a Hell comes to Frogman reference?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well I've never been that into wrestlin-

Gavok posted:

The issue features Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin teaming up to fight robot pirates, so it has that going for it.

gently caress IT, SOLD.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've looked at all the Comixology previews and I think the one I'd read is the arc with the ridiculous bad art (with those painted opening pages for contrast.) That's part of the fun.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wanna see an issue just in that blue sketch stage. I almost like that the most.

Seconding this. I love watching the art evolve. They should publish one in blue lines and let fans ink them. I remember doing this in "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way" a long time ago. My friend and I would take turns inking John Buscema and Jack Kirby.

funtax posted:

Still from 66, but inks by Smith himself:

What's wrong with that? Granted, it's not as good as the other ones but it hardly looks like poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
So has Leon been drawing Detective for a while because I need to pick those issues up.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

BiggerBoat posted:

What's wrong with that? Granted, it's not as good as the other ones but it hardly looks like poo poo.

Nothing. It was an example of BWS art from the same era that looks good because of who inked it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hollismason posted:

So has Leon been drawing Detective for a while because I need to pick those issues up.

It's just a two issue thing.

You should check out Animal Man #6 and #20 that he drew. They retell a movie the main character starred in and follow on from each other, so you don't need to follow the whole series.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

funtax posted:

Nothing. It was an example of BWS art from the same era that looks good because of who inked it.

Oh. I thought it was one Smith inked himself in comparison to the others. My fault.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

What the...They've clearly redrawn photos. I appreciate the reasoning, at least in the case of the Hulkster. I...I don't know, man. It's good reproduction, though I don't have an eye for such things. But hell, tracing and other borrowing has been mocked here. But it's not stealing if it's in-house stuff and deliberate(Probably there's those pictures on the damm walls, though I imagine he never looked that good even in the photos).

I...Feel weird, and dumb. I don't know what I'm talking about, I think. The thing just confuses me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Bloodly posted:

What the...They've clearly redrawn photos. I appreciate the reasoning, at least in the case of the Hulkster. I...I don't know, man. It's good reproduction, though I don't have an eye for such things. But hell, tracing and other borrowing has been mocked here. But it's not stealing if it's in-house stuff and deliberate(Probably there's those pictures on the damm walls, though I imagine he never looked that good even in the photos).

I...Feel weird, and dumb. I don't know what I'm talking about, I think. The thing just confuses me.

Is Hulk in some kind of Windows 95 screensaver pipe hell in the first image there?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

This is a page from Green Lantern 35. It's one of the most underwhelming fight scenes ever in a Green Lantern book. These red guards just stand in a line and tap the Lanterns' constructs with their staves.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not defending the art (Billy Tan ain't no Doug Mahnke), but it seems like that's the point of the scene?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 24, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's fine to have some foe whup the Lanterns' asses (that happens a lot these days; the GLs are becoming jobbers), but it's not fine to have such bland action. If you have a space battle between cosmic foes you expect something more dramatic than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd say the problem isn't even the concept but the panel layout there. The midpoint of the page should be the bottom, and the lineup of guards neutralizing the Green Lanterns should be like a larger horizontal spread across two pages showing the "wave" crashing against the "rocks". It shouldn't be a splash page, but it should definitely take up at least the top third of two pages to properly convey the scale and sense of motion.

As it stands it just looks really static and bland.