Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Seconding priest + conscripts, it is just way easier than trying to kill invisible things. Even better, kill what's casting Invisibility. I know that's Be'lakor, but like any unique hardass, he is a big target. Just snap shoot a gently caress load of stuff at him and when he's dead that's it.

Why not take a culexus over a vindicare? Vindicare's problem is a hard time dealing with the combination of invisibility, multiple wounds and invulnerable saves. A culexus may stop psychic powers going off in the first place, especially if you go first.

Forget 'trying' to get a specific warlord trait. It's a 1/6 chance, not something to plan on. If you need to kill back field camping unit, I would take artillery.

I do think your changes are good so far, but things like grenade launchers and lord commissars - you shouldn't really be taking that sort of thing against Bel'akor, heldrakes and a kitted out lord+spawn. You need to talk to your friend about the different approach you're both taking IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

Seconding priest + conscripts, it is just way easier than trying to kill invisible things. Even better, kill what's casting Invisibility. I know that's Be'lakor, but like any unique hardass, he is a big target. Just snap shoot a gently caress load of stuff at him and when he's dead that's it.

Why not take a culexus over a vindicare? Vindicare's problem is a hard time dealing with the combination of invisibility, multiple wounds and invulnerable saves. A culexus may stop psychic powers going off in the first place, especially if you go first.

Forget 'trying' to get a specific warlord trait. It's a 1/6 chance, not something to plan on. If you need to kill back field camping unit, I would take artillery.

I do think your changes are good so far, but things like grenade launchers and lord commissars - you shouldn't really be taking that sort of thing against Bel'akor, heldrakes and a kitted out lord+spawn. You need to talk to your friend about the different approach you're both taking IMO.

Worked in some conscripts, a priest and a support squad with heavy bolters for extra shots. I think you're right about the assassin choice, also I can't believe he's ten points cheaper than the Vindicare - he's insanely good. I'm already proxying my tanks, and a commissar as a priest (took out the Lord Commissar to make room for the assassin), so what's one more model?

Left the grenade launchers in, because there wasn't much else I was willing to cut to make room for plasma guns. If I'm shooting invisible targets, or snap shooting a flying deamon prince I'd rather have a better chance of hurting it than outright killing myself. I'll probably regret this though, haha!

Thanks for the tips guys - my buddy posts video battle reports so maybe I'll have a link to show you all how it went down. At the very least I plan on taking pictures.

He's more of a competitive/tournament player than I am, but I'm trying to get better and play in a couple tournaments this year. So I don't mind playing against hard lists like this - hence asking for advice because I'm a bit clueless at the moment. Seems like there are a lot of choices in the Guard book, but many of them aren't very great for actually giving your opponent a beating.

Now I'm off to eat pizza and be a ham!

Edit: Good God this Culexus assassin is loving brutal - I almost feel bad, but I don't use psykers myself with this list so it kind of evens out.

Sir Teabag fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 21, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
:siren:Come buy my DA/CSM/SM starter sets:siren:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

Ork troops selections seem pretty crap in this codex. What's the recommended setup to pay the troop tax? Mobs of 20+? 'Ard boyz in Trukks? gently caress it and take 60 points worth of grots?

In my recent 1500 point games I have been running two CA detachments with 4 troops choices.

A min squad of grots
A min squad of choppa boyz to act as ablative wounds for my SAG
18 shoota boyz in a battlewagon with a PK nob, PK warboss and a bare bones Mek
20 slugger boyz on foot with PK nob, PK megaboss with lukky stix and bare bones Mek.

The units wreck face. The BW unit crosses the table in turn one going flat out and gets into combat turn 2. The foot unit plods along with the megaboss tanking small arms fire with his re rollable 2+ and LoSirs anything tats ignore his save. The unit gets into combat turn two or three depending on how the opponent manoeuvres. In close combat most attacks get piled onto the megaboss since the other characters in the unit will accept the challenges.

The meks, in particular, are there to accept challenges that would otherwise be too dangerous for my PK guys.

The units become ld9 with a warboss in them and are big enough to sustain a couple of rolls from the mob rule. They have so many attacks when they get into combat and with the safety of an AV14 vehicle or 2+ rerolling tank at the front they usually make it across the table and into combat in tact.

This setup along with lootas, units of 3 meganobz in trukks and a smattering of other support units has been very effective for me so far.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

In my recent 1500 point games I have been running two CA detachments with 4 troops choices.

A min squad of grots
A min squad of choppa boyz to act as ablative wounds for my SAG
18 shoota boyz in a battlewagon with a PK nob, PK warboss and a bare bones Mek
20 slugger boyz on foot with PK nob, PK megaboss with lukky stix and bare bones Mek.

The units wreck face. The BW unit crosses the table in turn one going flat out and gets into combat turn 2. The foot unit plods along with the megaboss tanking small arms fire with his re rollable 2+ and LoSirs anything tats ignore his save. The unit gets into combat turn two or three depending on how the opponent manoeuvres. In close combat most attacks get piled onto the megaboss since the other characters in the unit will accept the challenges.

The meks, in particular, are there to accept challenges that would otherwise be too dangerous for my PK guys.

The units become ld9 with a warboss in them and are big enough to sustain a couple of rolls from the mob rule. They have so many attacks when they get into combat and with the safety of an AV14 vehicle or 2+ rerolling tank at the front they usually make it across the table and into combat in tact.

This setup along with lootas, units of 3 meganobz in trukks and a smattering of other support units has been very effective for me so far.

Do you field koptas as tank killers?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Indolent Bastard posted:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I run three koptas. Each as an individual unit. They have been invaluable as harassment units, tactical objective grabbers and for taking pot shots at tank side or rear armour.

I also run two units of 8 lootas for anti vehicle shooting.

On top of that the SAG can be useful in a pinch and I've got a heap of powerklaws spread across multiple units in vehicles.

As a last resort, ramming with the battlewagon yields results.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Got two games in using most of the suggestion that were given to me.

The first game against Chaos went how I expected - though it was mostly due to my dice abandoning me. I fired two 20 man squads and 2 Leman Russ Exterminators at a unit of 2 obliterators and managed to get one wound. Everything was going fine until the bottom of turn three. Belakor finally managed to kill the Culexus that had locked him in combat for 3 turns, and the psychic shenanigans began. My warlord had the trait where you don't have to take moral checks for 25% casualties due to firing so nobody ran away for those first three turns. Belakor managed to perils himself and lost invisibility for his troubles. But his Chaos lord finally charged my unit of conscripts and chewed through it in one turn. In the end it was 7-1 on points (the scouring), had I managed to kill one more cultist to get him off an objective or if their morale had broken it would have been 7-5. It was a close fought game, and I hung on by the skin of my teeth at the end.

The highlight of this game was when my blob squad with missile launchers finally ended up killing his obliterators. I can imagine them celebrating and waving their arms in the air - exhilarated at finally killing the heretics that had been harassing their forces for so long. They were rewarded by a barrage from the Master of Ordnance scattering onto them and wiping out about half the unit. They didn't break - because their commander was close enough to not need a morale check. Best 20 points I ever spent!

The second game against Dark Angels everything went mostly right for me. We both had hot and cold dice throughout the game which led to some frustration. In this game my Leman Russ Exterminators were doing work, taking out combat squads left and right. The Vendettas whiffed on nearly everything all game. My guardsmen proved to be very survivable when they dug in to some cover, and the outflanking guardsmen were basically the MVPs of the game. They came in and charged a predator with a million krak greandes - wrecking it. Then hid in the wreckage and distracted his forces from concentrating on the main part of my army. We played kill points and I think I ended up winning 10-3.

Both were really fun games that were hard fought the whole way through. My buddy recorded both, so I'll post the link to the bat reps when he gets them uploaded.

Thanks again for the advice!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Just put in an order for some wall of martyrs stuff, the defence line, emplacement and bunker. Man that poo poo looks cool in the pictures!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wheres the go-to place for ordering foam that fits into the GW cases?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DJ Dizzy posted:

Here you go: http://krmulticase.com/trays.aspx?type=G

Used Dark Lances and Haywire Blasters to take out a Space Wolves-allied Knight last night - blew it up and then got to use my Apocalyptic Blast template for the first time! it landed on one of my Raiders, but it jinked out of the way. My first win with DE, was great to be able to just pick up Maelstrom objectives nearly every turn by zipping around the board.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DJ Dizzy posted:

Don't forget to say you were referred by the SomethingAwful.com Oath thread if you buy, does us all a favour :eng101:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Don't forget to say you were referred by the SomethingAwful.com Oath thread if you buy, does us all a favour :eng101:

Will do! (was it battlefoam or kr that literally cancelled a trip to germany because of ebola and isis)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

DJ Dizzy posted:

Will do! (was it battlefoam or kr that literally cancelled a trip to germany because of ebola and isis)

knowing the battlefoam guy, it was probably him :v

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DJ Dizzy posted:

quote:

Hello,

Unfortunately due to current events Battle Foam will not be attending Spiel in Essen this year. The increased threats by the ISIS situation and the recent spread of Ebola is a big concern. Battle Foam did not feel safe putting its employees in any possible danger, so our trip was cancelled.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you are attending Spiel I hope you have a great time. Hopefully I will see you all next year.

Kip Parcell

Holy poo poo I hadn't even heard about that what the gently caress :psyduck:

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
I...wanted to say something clever (hurr) to that, but all I can do is just say 'wow'. Perhaps ISIS will send Ebola-bombs to Battlefoam now? Wait. A virus bomb...it fits canon and everything! :tinfoil:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

I...wanted to say something clever (hurr) to that, but all I can do is just say 'wow'. Perhaps ISIS will send Ebola-bombs to Battlefoam now? Wait. A virus bomb...it fits canon and everything! :tinfoil:

But will it fit in the laser cut foam they invented? :tinfoil:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

If you don't want the custom-cut stuff, Gifts for Geeks sells 'Tabletop Tyrant' cases and foam that's, as far as I can tell, much cheaper - I quite like thier line, I have two of their big cases (a Tyrant and a Dreadnought).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Everybody is taking pyskers these days but nobody seems to take the cullexis. I'm thinking about taking one just for fun next weekend.

See the guy with the funky head gear, 02? That's what I use for a Culexus, painted a grey skull on the helmet.

I have a bunch of Inquisitors, including some that are Eldar rogues with a power glove and other funky stuff.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I used to have number 4. I never knew the guns originally came on tripods. I thought they always had those hover platforms.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I might actually steal that idea. I have way more Eldar Guardian crew that any one man really should.

In other news, this image is proof that the beancounters don't run the design studio:

It's crazy how little work it would take to let Glotkin (the fat guy) be usable in 40k, and increase it's sales at least 3x, but unfortunately it's fantasy only,

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I might actually steal that idea. I have way more Eldar Guardian crew that any one man really should.

In other news, this image is proof that the beancounters don't run the design studio:

It's crazy how little work it would take to let Glotkin (the fat guy) be usable in 40k, and increase it's sales at least 3x, but unfortunately it's fantasy only,

The plastic greater demons that aren't in that picture also support your claim.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do they justify the plastic molds for that but they can't even release a razorback and dreadnought upgrade kit with all the weapon options.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PeterWeller posted:

The plastic greater demons that aren't in that picture also support your claim.

People have been saying there's going to be plastic greater daemons for over 2 years now and we still haven't seen poo poo.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Slimnoid posted:

People have been saying there's going to be plastic greater daemons for over 2 years now and we still haven't seen poo poo.

He's saying that if models/rules were released due to the whims of accounting, there would be plastic greater demons.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LingcodKilla posted:

How do they justify the plastic molds for that but they can't even release a razorback and dreadnought upgrade kit with all the weapon options.

Or a new Eldar jetbike :argh:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That, or the sales drones don't understand their own products and/or customers well enough to realise there's a demand for plastic greater demons.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ah, the Lascannon, classic weapon of the Eldar.

xtothez posted:

That, or the sales drones don't understand their own products and/or customers well enough to realise there's a demand for plastic greater demons.

I would lay pretty solid money on "GW doesn't actually understand the game or what the players want."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is this FAQ new? http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/40K_The_Rules_v1.0_Oct14.pdf

It's dated today.

Yeah new FAQs for:

Daemons
Dark Eldar
Imperial Knights
Space Wolves
Tau
Black Legion
Escalation

TKIY fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 22, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

I loved the days when every faction was using the same list of heavy weapons. I still remember them promoting 2E and touting the big advance of charging different factions different points for the same weapons because a BS4 lascannon was better than a BS3 one.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TKIY posted:

Is this FAQ new? http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/40K_The_Rules_v1.0_Oct14.pdf

It's dated today.

Yeah new FAQs for:

Daemons
Dark Eldar
Imperial Knights
Space Wolves
Tau
Black Legion
Escalation

Unfortunately the DE one is a dead link for me.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

same here and Space Wolves contains no update (even date in FAQ doesn't show updated). BRB looks like nothing updated either... so why list it? Maybe it isn't uploaded yet?

EDIT: apparantly if you download the full pack at the top they are working.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 22, 2014

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It works if you add ".pdf" on the end of the link.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The new thing they're doing now that everyone hates finecast is making these elaborate plastic models with switchable parts so that a single kit can make 3-4 unique characters. I haven't bought a warham in like a decade so I dont know how it works in practice but in theory that's really cool.

Same with those three super detailed skull horse guys, apparently they all come from a single kit.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 22, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Slimnoid posted:

They held onto the plastic Daemon Prince for nearly 3 years to be fair.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ugly John posted:

It works if you add ".pdf" on the end of the link.

Not much there anyhow. Succubus has the option to take a Glaive for 20pts. That's about it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

And yet the old daemon prince truly is the prince of daemons :colbert:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

Probably out of shame.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The plastic Prince is cool, you leave him alone.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Sir Teabag posted:

Got two games in using most of the suggestion that were given to me.

The first game against Chaos went how I expected - though it was mostly due to my dice abandoning me. I fired two 20 man squads and 2 Leman Russ Exterminators at a unit of 2 obliterators and managed to get one wound. Everything was going fine until the bottom of turn three. Belakor finally managed to kill the Culexus that had locked him in combat for 3 turns, and the psychic shenanigans began. My warlord had the trait where you don't have to take moral checks for 25% casualties due to firing so nobody ran away for those first three turns. Belakor managed to perils himself and lost invisibility for his troubles. But his Chaos lord finally charged my unit of conscripts and chewed through it in one turn. In the end it was 7-1 on points (the scouring), had I managed to kill one more cultist to get him off an objective or if their morale had broken it would have been 7-5. It was a close fought game, and I hung on by the skin of my teeth at the end.

The highlight of this game was when my blob squad with missile launchers finally ended up killing his obliterators. I can imagine them celebrating and waving their arms in the air - exhilarated at finally killing the heretics that had been harassing their forces for so long. They were rewarded by a barrage from the Master of Ordnance scattering onto them and wiping out about half the unit. They didn't break - because their commander was close enough to not need a morale check. Best 20 points I ever spent!

The second game against Dark Angels everything went mostly right for me. We both had hot and cold dice throughout the game which led to some frustration. In this game my Leman Russ Exterminators were doing work, taking out combat squads left and right. The Vendettas whiffed on nearly everything all game. My guardsmen proved to be very survivable when they dug in to some cover, and the outflanking guardsmen were basically the MVPs of the game. They came in and charged a predator with a million krak greandes - wrecking it. Then hid in the wreckage and distracted his forces from concentrating on the main part of my army. We played kill points and I think I ended up winning 10-3.

Both were really fun games that were hard fought the whole way through. My buddy recorded both, so I'll post the link to the bat reps when he gets them uploaded.

Thanks again for the advice!

Glad it worked out. I've had a Master of Ordnance whiff three times in a row before landing a direct hit on the squad next to the one he was aiming at, wiping them out. It's super random, but for 20 points it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

Or a new Eldar jetbike :argh:
Jes Goodwin said it was up to him to either have new jetbikes or new Wraithguard, and he went with Wraithguard. I think he made the right decision.

AbusePuppy posted:

Back in the days when Space Marines could take shuriken catapults and lasguns, and IG rolled around in Land Raiders.

panascope posted:

The best assassin model is the Olde Timey one with authentic ninja sandals, which is what I used as Marbo for a long time. Now it'll be a great Culexus!
I ran one of these as Marbo in a tournament last year. His name is Stormshadovich:

• Locked thread