Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MacheteZombie posted:

I figured it was to prevent diseased or weirdly experimented (like dosed with LSD all day or something that changes the rabbits behaviors drastically) rabbits from entering the public sphere, but the re-use concern is probably more correct.

It's both really, I imagine there's a risk of some 'harmless' seeming lab animals suddenly developing serious problems that could be very bad if they were, say, taken home by a scientist's friend or something, but yea the main issue is usually 'you cannot keep testing the same animal over and over, not only is it bad science it's cruel to the animal'. It's a bummer but it's the safest thing to do for everything involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's both really, I imagine there's a risk of some 'harmless' seeming lab animals suddenly developing serious problems that could be very bad if they were, say, taken home by a scientist's friend or something, but yea the main issue is usually 'you cannot keep testing the same animal over and over, not only is it bad science it's cruel to the animal'. It's a bummer but it's the safest thing to do for everything involved.

Yeah. Though I have to expect the "contaminating other studies" is a bigger concern. Sure you don't want those hyper aggressive foxes getting loose and killing people, but experiments like that are relatively rare. A bigger concern is having to report "we may have found that gummy bears cure cancer... Or Johnson's LSD experiments may have interfered with the control group. So while we didn't learn anything, we'd like more funding"

Still stupid that Coburn's report quibbles over stuff like this though, while not touching tax expenditures or subsidies or any of the big boondoggles

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Any time someone complains about wasteful government spending just yell "F-35" at them until they go away or you pass out.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SubponticatePoster posted:

Any time someone complains about wasteful government spending just yell "F-35" at them until they go away or you pass out.

You seem to think the F-35 is a defense project. Its not. Its a politically acceptable national jobs program.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You seem to think the F-35 is a defense project. Its not. Its a politically acceptable national jobs program.

It's even going to create some job openings for new pilots!

E: and some exciting search-and-rescue opportunities.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's usually yelled at people who think government cannot create jobs.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Munkeymon posted:

It's even going to create some job openings for new pilots!

E: and some exciting search-and-rescue opportunities.

Sometimes you have to break a window to put a glassmaker to work.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

My Imaginary GF posted:

More like a politically acceptable profit subsidy to defense contractors.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It helps American companies like Boeing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “If the Republicans don’t take back Congress, we’re not going to be a world power anymore.” ~ Rapid City, SD business owner Dave Meister, on why he's voting for Mike Rounds.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zeitgueist posted:

More like a politically acceptable profit subsidy to defense contractors.
How many zeroes are in a trillion? I'd like to figure out how big of a check every citizen would get if they just handed it out instead.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

SubponticatePoster posted:

How many zeroes are in a trillion? I'd like to figure out how big of a check every citizen would get if they just handed it out instead.

About $3k/person.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clearly you don't understand inflation. If we just handed out money to everybody prices would rise. But if we give money to specific organizations that know how to spend it, we will all be richer. A rising tide lifts all boats.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Clearly you don't understand inflation. If we just handed out money to everybody prices would rise. But if we give money to specific organizations that know how to spend it, we will all be richer. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Not necessarily, no. Inflation is a market-based taxation on perception of ability to pay back debt. If we issued 3k/person and defaulted on our credit obligations, yes, you could expect inflation to occur. Without the default, no, inflation does not occur.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

My Imaginary GF posted:

Not necessarily, no. Inflation is a market-based taxation on perception of ability to pay back debt. If we issued 3k/person and defaulted on our credit obligations, yes, you could expect inflation to occur. Without the default, no, inflation does not occur.

Whoooosh

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, "Does anyone doubt that former Alabama Gov. George Wallace was a racist, after he banned blacks from attending the state’s university in the 1960s? So too can anyone refute that Obama’s not even temporarily banning West Africans from entering the United States is also as least de facto racism, as this high risk caper puts whites and others at risk at the expense of not even temporarily 'inconveniencing' his fellow Africans. Wallace and Obama are both despicable and both to be condemned to the trash heap of history for their actions." ~ Larry Klayman

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Coincidentally, default is a mainstream position of one major American political party. You'll never guess which!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Larry Klayman must've heard that the Clintons will be running for office again.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sir Tonk posted:

Larry Klayman must've heard that the Clintons will be running for office again.
I enjoyed the portrayal of him as Claypool by Diehl, the character actor, in The West Wing.

"You're a cheap hack, and if you come after Leo I'm gonna bust you like a pinata."

Sam talking all white collar tough - and not to one of those fancy, expensive hacks either.

Anyway, that's Larry Klayman in my mind now, though my recollection is that during the Bush years he did actually file some suits that were ideologically anti-Republican (not sure if they were just ultra-conservative though, can't recall).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “If the Republicans don’t take back Congress, we’re not going to be a world power anymore.” ~ Rapid City, SD business owner Dave Meister, on why he's voting for Mike Rounds.

Eh, I've heard the "because of OBUMMER America's status as the world's leader is eroding!" line as early as 2009.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gohmert of the day, "I've had people say, 'Hey, you know, there's nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks,' Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it's a different kind of fighting, it's a different kind of war and if you're sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you're not going to last very long. It's guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that's what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did ... as people have said, 'Louie, you have got to understand, you don't even know your history.' Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It's not a good idea."

See, this is where the powers of a Congressman should really be used. Can we get the Army War College to write up a study on the effectiveness of massages in counterinsurgency combat compared to classical phalanx maneuvers?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

See, this is where the powers of a Congressman should really be used. Can we get the Army War College to write up a study on the effectiveness of massages in counterinsurgency combat compared to classical phalanx maneuvers?

If this is your way to ask about comfort women, :golfclap:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Eh, I've heard the "because of OBUMMER America's status as the world's leader is eroding!" line as early as 2009.

As early as 2004, actually. But replace OBUMMER with BUSH.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Gohmert of the day, "I've had people say, 'Hey, you know, there's nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks,' Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it's a different kind of fighting, it's a different kind of war and if you're sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you're not going to last very long. It's guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that's what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did ... as people have said, 'Louie, you have got to understand, you don't even know your history.' Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It's not a good idea."

First they massaged the rabbits and I did not speak up, for I was not a small furry animal.

Then they massaged the gays in the military and I just couldn't let the republic fall like the Greeks of old.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Debate & Discussion: We tortured some folks › US Politics November: Louie, you don't even know your history. Oh yes I do. I know exactly.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SquadronROE posted:

As early as 2004, actually. But replace OBUMMER with BUSH.

Actually as early as 2003. But replace an american voice with actual foreigners because I had to deal with them asking me what on earth was going on when the US invaded Iraq after Afghanistan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My Imaginary GF posted:

If this is your way to ask about comfort women, :golfclap:

Well, according to learned military scholar Louie Gohmert, it's imperative that it's a really gay massage. So the only troops that get counterinsurgency massages from comfort women are some of the pilots.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Well, according to learned military scholar Louie Gohmert, it's imperative that it's a really gay massage. So the only troops that get counterinsurgency massages from comfort women are some of the pilots.

If the inclinations of Illinois Congressmen who've flown COIN missions are anything to go by, those aren't women.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

If the inclinations of Illinois Congressmen who've flown COIN missions are anything to go by, those aren't women.

I think I saw a documentary on this subject once, involving beach volleyball.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I think I saw a documentary on this subject once, involving beach volleyball.

Ah, you saw Aaron's "About Me" section.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

This sounds like the seeds of the best Mythbusters episode ever

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "Does anyone doubt that former Alabama Gov. George Wallace was a racist, after he banned blacks from attending the state’s university in the 1960s? So too can anyone refute that Obama’s not even temporarily banning West Africans from entering the United States is also as least de facto racism, as this high risk caper puts whites and others at risk at the expense of not even temporarily 'inconveniencing' his fellow Africans. Wallace and Obama are both despicable and both to be condemned to the trash heap of history for their actions." ~ Larry Klayman

And people probably think I'm exaggerating when I say that the GOP's messaging is the Fourteen Words. :psyduck:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Joementum posted:

What? :staredog:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ReindeerF posted:

I enjoyed the portrayal of him as Claypool by Diehl, the character actor, in The West Wing.

"You're a cheap hack, and if you come after Leo I'm gonna bust you like a pinata."

Sam talking all white collar tough - and not to one of those fancy, expensive hacks either.

Anyway, that's Larry Klayman in my mind now, though my recollection is that during the Bush years he did actually file some suits that were ideologically anti-Republican (not sure if they were just ultra-conservative though, can't recall).

Oh poo poo that's who annoying FOIA guy is supposed to be?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Clearly NOT banning black people is just as racist as banning them :smugdog:"

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh poo poo that's who annoying FOIA guy is supposed to be?
There you go. A little roman a clef action, though not terribly well hidden behind the name Claypool, heh. Every time there's some Clinton-specific swipe at someone I picture Dee Dee Myers in the writers' room ticking one more off her list.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
For people encountering Larry Klayman for the first time, this character in The West Wing was directly based on him.

He did that, but with Bill Clinton's penis all throughout the 90s. He was the only person who took the subject more seriously than Ken Starr did and there probably wouldn't have been Monica without Klayman keeping the fire warm for it. More recently he's appeared outside the White House at various Tea Party rallies yelling for Obama to "put the Koran down and come out with his hands up". He has said his goal is to perform a citizens arrest of Obama and try him in a court where Larry is Judge, Jury and... maybe some other functions too.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Joementum posted:

He has said his goal is to perform a citizens arrest of Obama and try him in a court where Larry is Judge, Jury and... maybe some other functions too.

I feel like Rick Perry could remember the third function here. He's pretty good at that function, unfortunately.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
So a guy I know from high school just commented on this article about voter ID laws. His comments were:
1. "...never been in a bar, never picked up baseball tickets at the will call window, never bought cigarettes..."
2. "...never purchased cold medicine, never opened a bank account, never applied for a loan, never donated blood, never applied for unemployment or other government assistance, never got a hunting/fishing license..."
3. "This would be a great sociological experiment. Find a human being who would actually be disenfranchised by a voter ID law. Coincidentally, you would also be finding someone who isn't living in the twenty-first (hell, the twentieth) century.

Maybe that dude from the TV show Sleepy Hollow who suddenly woke up in 2013 after succumbing to a magical sleep in the late 1700s? He would definitely be disenfranchised."

I know I might be touching the poop, but should I even respond to this and if so, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jeff Merkley says he is going to vote in favor of the Oregon ballot measure legalizing Marijuana. This makes him the first U.S. Senator to favor complete legalization of recreational pot use.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/jeff-merkley-legalize-pot-oregon

quote:

Exclusive Interview: Merkley First U.S. Senator To Back Legal Marijuana

Sen. Jeff Merkley says he plans to vote for a ballot measure on Election Day to legalize marijuana in Oregon.

"I lean in support of it," the Democratic senator told TPM in an interview on Wednesday.

Measure 91 would green-light marijuana for recreational purposes in Oregon and authorize the state to regulate and tax it. Colorado and Washington enacted similar measures in 2012.

"I think folks on both sides of the argument make a good case," Merkley said. "And there is concern about a series of new products — and we don't have a real track record from Colorado and Washington. But I feel on balance that we spend a lot of money on our criminal justice system in the wrong places and I lean in favor of this ballot measure."

A vote for it would make Merkley the first U.S. senator to support making marijuana legal in his state.

Merkley didn't point to a time when he came around to the view that pot should be legal, saying it has not been an issue in his reelection bid. He's in good shape to win, according to recent polls.

• Locked thread