Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

I ran one of these as Marbo in a tournament last year. His name is Stormshadovich:

:rip: Marbo RIP in peace, you bad mo-fo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The plastic Prince is cool, you leave him alone.

He looks like babby's first drawing of a daemon with a ridiculously cartoonish saturday-morning villain head. :colbert:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
But plastic is easier to convert

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Squifferific posted:

Glad it worked out. I've had a Master of Ordnance whiff three times in a row before landing a direct hit on the squad next to the one he was aiming at, wiping them out. It's super random, but for 20 points it's hilarious.

I completely agree. Good against vehicle heavy armies as well. As you say, it's 20 pts on a squad which will not (in a footslogging army) be in any way inhibited by using him. Even if he kills a model or two, it's not a dead loss, and sometimes he just fucks poo poo up.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Now that is a cool looking demon prince Hypnostache.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

Jes Goodwin said it was up to him to either have new jetbikes or new Wraithguard, and he went with Wraithguard. I think he made the right decision.

I dispute it had to be a one or the other situation :argh:

If anything, cancel the Wraithknight and use the plastic to make new Jetbikes and plastic warp spiders :argh:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I for a second thought you named him Hypnostache and was confused as he doesn't seem to have a mustache.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I need all y'all peoples help.

I will be participating in a tournament rather shortly (next month) and I am having some trouble deciding on my army list.

These are the restrictions I have to deal with:
code:
Max 1 Flyer
Max 2 of the same dedicated transport
Max 3 of the same troop choice
Max 10 warp charges
Max 2 armor 14 vehicles
Max 1 dreadnought in a drop pod.
No repetitions outside of troops

Those are the general restrictions, the SM specific ones are

Max 3 centurions with grav
No shield eternal on a bikemounted/jump pack character
Max 1 bike unit with grav guns.
My army list is as follows

code:
Pedro

Ironclad dreadnought with heavy flamer and melta in a drop pod.
10 sternguards with 3xCombi Melta and 2xMelta and a powerfist in a drop pod. (will most likely be combat squaded)

2x5 Tacticals with heavy bolter and vet. sarg.

Stormtalon with Skyhammer

3 Grav-centurions
Thunderfire Cannon
Vindicator with siege shield.

1495/1500 pts.
Any suggestions on what I could switch around and still keep it Crimson Fist-y?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Any time I see a arbitrary like list of restrictions my first immediate thought is how can I make the most abusive army list to abuse that?

That's really not a lot of guys for your army. What are you going to put on objectives?

If you have Razorbacks or something to put your Squads in instead of the vindicator maybe go with that so you don't just stand around while your opponent runs over and grabs objectives?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah. The lack of dudes is also what concerns me. I don't think the addition of two razorbacks are going to fix that issue.

I should probably also mention that we aren't using the rulebook mission, but using this monstrosity instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yw3msaz3rpz05ig/Random%20mission%20generator.pdf?dl=0

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

DJ Dizzy posted:

Max 10 warp charges

Grey Knights: Stack Land Raiders or gtfo.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

raverrn posted:

Grey Knights: Stack Land Raiders or gtfo.

Grey Knights are allowed 12. Heh.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Really? So what's the point in limiting if you're just going to make arbitrary exceptions?

Are the people running the tournament that afraid of their favorite toys not winning?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's run by one guy who plays Horde Imperial Guard , what oh yeah 2 troop choices, okay here is my 200 mens.

I would seriously just take like 5 full ten man tactical squads of Space Marines w/ Razorbacks 1 Flyer and then a dude to hang around.

Don't care who you are playing against it's really annoying to try and kill 50 Space Marines.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 22, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

All the restrictions can be found here in the undiluted glory! http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=82251.0 (warning, in danish but shouldnt be too hard to understand)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that's kind of weirdly restrictive, how many people are expected to play?

Seriously, take a poo poo ton of tactical marines and do rhino rush. It's goddamn hard to deal with a ton of objective secured guys and vehicles.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's kind of weirdly restrictive, how many people are expected to play?

Seriously, take a poo poo ton of tactical marines and do rhino rush. It's goddamn hard to deal with a ton of objective secured guys and vehicles.

There are 14 spots, 14 have signed up and 2 are on the waiting list. I can't take 50 marines and 5 razorbacks, due to the abovementioned restrictions on max 3 of the same troop choice and max 2 of the same dedicated transport.

Oh and I fixed the mans issue in the list. I added 5 sniper scouts with camo cloaks for the cost of the vet sargs, a powerfist and a sternguard.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 22, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1 Tactical Squad w/ Rhino
1 Tactical Squad w/ Razorback
1 Tactical Squad w/ Razorback
1 Sternguard Squad w/ Drop Pod
1 Dreadnought w/ Drop Pod
1 Command Squad w/ Rhino

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Babe Magnet posted:

Are the people running the tournament that afraid of their favorite toys not winning?

This is almost always assuredly the case. Limiting players to having no duplicate selections except from troops and poo poo like that keeps coming up lately. Who the hell are these idiots organizing events like this? They're just limiting variables for them and their buddies to have to face. I wouldn't even consider playing games like that. They probably have some other bizarre poo poo you don't know about yet too, like some rule interpretation that they and their friends " always play it this way" which totally fucks everyone else over.

There are definitely spammy lists and clever combinations of units and special rules which push the limits of the current ruleset, but the way to counter that kind of poo poo isn't to arbitrarily institute your own brand of bullshit. Players need to adapt and overcome, not make the guy that's winning a lot of games' army illegal.

Fuckin nerds.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It is now this threads job to help you make the best list possible for the tournament with those restrictions. Cause seriously, the other army restrictions are even worse.

What do you have to play with?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It is now this threads job to help you make the best list possible for the tournament with those restrictions. Cause seriously, the other army restrictions are even worse.

What do you have to play with?

Seeing as I am buying a new army, pretty much everything within reason. I can squeeze the following in

Chaplain with 5 vet command squad all with plasma guns in a TLLC razorback
Ironclad in drop pod
10 sternguards with 3xCombi Melta and 2xMelta in a drop pod
2x10 tacs with a plasma gun in rhinos
10 tacs with a plasma gun and a lascannon in a TLLC razorback
Vindicator.

Comes out to 1500 exactly.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I thought razorbacks can only comfortably seat six?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Squifferific posted:

I thought razorbacks can only comfortably seat six?

Yeah? Tactical squad will obviously be split up.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yeah? Tactical squad will obviously be split up.

I keep forgetting about that part.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Those DE parts look stupidly good on that. A whip made out of vertebrae looks way more cool and even more plausible on a warpspawned abomination.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd take a Librarian over a Chaplain just to have access to the Psychic Phase. It still gets you a command squad that can make a effective beat stick. Plus command squad can take grav guns. Plus he can go Biomancy and become a very effective beat stick. That'd give two units if you roll right Feel No pain, The apothecary w/ the Command Squad and another squad being given it through the Psychic Phase.

If they are allowing allies, consider Legion of the Damned , as they're relentless and can land with a meltagun , multimelta, combi-melta that ignores cover which is helpful in eliminating Wave Serpents and other vehicles that jink. Plus they're cheaper than a Stern Guard squad I believe for the points and you get a great unit to deep strike. The ignore cover is the part that's fantastic though, as it's very surprisingly effective to shoot targets that are shrouded especially Daemon Princes or other units that have shrouding.

I'd do something like

Librarian (LvL 2) for Biomancy or Telepathy
Command Squad w/ Grav Guns mixed Armament

Elite
Ironclad w/ Drop Pod
Sterngard w/ Rhino
Troop
Tactical w/ Razor
Tactical w/ Razor
Tactical w/ Drop Pod

Fast Attack
Storm Talon w/ Skyhammer Missile Launcher

H. Support
Thunderfire

Allied
Legion of the Damned w/ Melta load out

I don't play marines but this seems to be the variation of lists I've seen, which gives you a wide range of abilities to deal with units that would give you trouble and plenty of bodies.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

OK So I've hit kind of a wall trying to outfit a powerblob of guardsmen. I'm thinking 40 guys in one blob, one flamer per 10, power axes on the sergeants. Possibly krak grenades if I can swing the extra points. As per abusepuppy's suggestion I've decided to go with 2 blobs instead of just one; the second being just a bunch of mooks bubblewrapping pask's tank squadron. I'm not really sold on giving the backfield blob any wargear other than a ton of flamers and attaching like..3 lascannon teams to them to bring down armour/high toughness creatures. If I went with this setup should I even bother adding a company command squad or instead designate pask as my warlord and rely on my junior officers for orders?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'd take a Librarian over a Chaplain just to have access to the Psychic Phase. It still gets you a command squad that can make a effective beat stick. Plus command squad can take grav guns. Plus he can go Biomancy and become a very effective beat stick. That'd give two units if you roll right Feel No pain, The apothecary w/ the Command Squad and another squad being given it through the Psychic Phase.

If they are allowing allies, consider Legion of the Damned , as they're relentless and can land with a meltagun , multimelta, combi-melta that ignores cover which is helpful in eliminating Wave Serpents and other vehicles that jink. Plus they're cheaper than a Stern Guard squad I believe for the points and you get a great unit to deep strike. The ignore cover is the part that's fantastic though, as it's very surprisingly effective to shoot targets that are shrouded especially Daemon Princes or other units that have shrouding.

I could just bring Space Wolves and bring

Wolf Lord with Helm of Durfast and Frost Axe
15 Blood Claws with flyer with multimeltas
2x10 Grey Hunters with 2 Meltas in drop pods
10 Grey Hunters with 2 Plasma in a rhino
Murderfang in a drop pod.

Oh and a unit of thunderwolves, because why the gently caress not.

Because yes, Space Wolves can bring 3 drop pods if they take one as fast attack because :psyduck:

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd take something that ignores cover for the army because it's difficult and annoying to deal with. Eh I don't play marines but play against them fairly regularly and find when someone puts out a bunch of Rhinos and bodies it's fairly difficult to deal with in objective based / mission games.

I posted the above as I've played against that variation like a billion times. Well probably not a billion but christ I am tired of Command Squads w/ Grav Guns.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'd take something that ignores cover from the army because it's difficult and annoying to deal with.

60 melee attacks ignore cover :black101:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I know pretty much nothing about Space Wolves as no one in our group plays them. they have a lot of things with Murder in the title, that's it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I know pretty much nothing about Space Wolves as no one in our group plays them. they have a lot of things with Murder in the title, that's it.

Murderfang delivers 8-10 s8 ap2 mastercrafted shred attacks on the charge. The flyer of doom has 2 twinlinked multi meltas, a twinlinked lascannon and a doomgun that can either shoot S6 AP3 small blast, or S8 AP1, both with the helfrost special rule that says if you suffer an unsaved wound, take a strength test or immediately be removed from the battle. It's also 12 12 12 with ceramite plating and has power of the machine spirit. Oh and its an assault vehicle with 16 transport capacity.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ultramega posted:

OK So I've hit kind of a wall trying to outfit a powerblob of guardsmen. I'm thinking 40 guys in one blob, one flamer per 10, power axes on the sergeants. Possibly krak grenades if I can swing the extra points. As per abusepuppy's suggestion I've decided to go with 2 blobs instead of just one; the second being just a bunch of mooks bubblewrapping pask's tank squadron. I'm not really sold on giving the backfield blob any wargear other than a ton of flamers and attaching like..3 lascannon teams to them to bring down armour/high toughness creatures. If I went with this setup should I even bother adding a company command squad or instead designate pask as my warlord and rely on my junior officers for orders?
40 is a lot to deal with, just for you as the person playing. 30 is the right balance between durability and maneuvering in my experience. You'll want a Priest or Commissar with them too, since you don't want 40ish dudes just up and running. Commissars also help with leadership, which makes them better for a unit you want to use orders on. If you're going to put autocannon teams on the backfield squad, you might as well give them plasma guns too - they'll be shooting lots of S7 fire every turn that way. At the very least give them grenade launchers for the extra S6 shots or S3 small blasts that take forever and don't do anything. I feel with IG if you can take a neat gun, take it, with the exception of officers.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Ran my DE against Grey knights for the first time tonight and have to say im gleefully impressed.

He ran the deep strike detachment, with Dreadknights and terminators etc, while I ran a few raiders and venoms, with a killy archon and court in a venom.

Overall DE now fair much better against GKs, the loss of psy-bolt ammo was a huge advantage to me, only loosing 2 raiders and venom, even then it took him 5 turns to do that. I think its fair to say that DE do not get curb stomped like they used to by GKs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've heard nothing but positive outcomes for D Eldar in general despite the woe begotten cries of the masses. No one I know plays them but someone is considering starting a army.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I've heard nothing but positive outcomes for D Eldar in general despite the woe begotten cries of the masses. No one I know plays them but someone is considering starting a army.

The local meta has DE players using the WWP to drop Wave serpants and fire dragons in. Though still no solid anti Tau.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ran my DE against Grey knights for the first time tonight and have to say im gleefully impressed.

He ran the deep strike detachment, with Dreadknights and terminators etc, while I ran a few raiders and venoms, with a killy archon and court in a venom.

Overall DE now fair much better against GKs, the loss of psy-bolt ammo was a huge advantage to me, only loosing 2 raiders and venom, even then it took him 5 turns to do that. I think its fair to say that DE do not get curb stomped like they used to by GKs.

My main opponent when I first started playing was a grey knight player and it was really demoralizing to get tabled literally every single game/have a lone trueborn squad farting around in a venom doing fuckall.

SRM, thanks for the blob suggestions. Probably will end up dropping it down to 30 guys w/ flamers and stuff and 40 in the backfield but I'm just not sold on spending points on what are basically ablative wounds for my warlord to be able to fire back S7 shots with 24" range. That's what pask is there for; to delete anything that gets within the danger zone. :getin:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ultramega posted:

My main opponent when I first started playing was a grey knight player and it was really demoralizing to get tabled literally every single game/have a lone trueborn squad farting around in a venom.

Oh tell me about it, psy pilot and razor back spam coupled with psybolt ammo was a hideous thing to face.

From what I see, Grey knights are more balanced now and are not insta against certain armies. The rate this is going I cant wait to see Tau and Necrons get balanced.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I kind of think Necrons are already pretty balanced , but could use some rule changes to Tesla mainly. If they changed it so that the 6s were not on snap shots or however it is in SW book with living lighting. There's a few things that are a little overpowered, but overall the army really needs some fleshing out of the rules on some creatures in order to make them semi viable.

From a pretty reliable source at least one who has so far been 100% with rumours for the last year or so, we're getting Dynasties which will affect the army in some way.

That's all I've heard on the rumour mill.

Blood Angels October, Necrons January.

If I had to guess just looking at what's before, I'd say we see a price decrease in Ghost Arks and a increase in the Fliers across the board.

I honestly think they are going to get rid of the resurrection rules and it just be delegated to a Feel No Pain roll. I would not doubt this at all as it's annoying mechanic that just slows things down. So I see them just getting the USR of Feel No Pain.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if they are doing blood angels in October uh they're kinda running out of time

• Locked thread