Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I don't know, if any car could turn me gay, it would probably be a Maserati.

That said, I've seen several Maseratis around here, and they've all driven very courteously. In fact, that's been true of every ultra-expensive car I've seen in my area.

I see fancy expensive cars(Ferraris, Lotuses, Teslas and other Maseratis, and once a yellow Boss 302 Mustang which sounded quite wonderful) regularly on the roads here, and most of their drivers do drive courteously, even if they tend to have a habit of speeding. Seems to just have been an exception.

As far as revving it goes, I've also had one behind me in a 50kph zone(with fairly dense traffic) whose driver couldn't decide which gear to use. The sound was nice but it looked ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Smoke posted:

I see fancy expensive cars(Ferraris, Lotuses, Teslas and other Maseratis, and once a yellow Boss 302 Mustang which sounded quite wonderful) regularly on the roads here, and most of their drivers do drive courteously, even if they tend to have a habit of speeding. Seems to just have been an exception.

As far as revving it goes, I've also had one behind me in a 50kph zone(with fairly dense traffic) whose driver couldn't decide which gear to use. The sound was nice but it looked ridiculous.

Travelling above the speed limit is a norm for this forum. A lot of the time the limits are too low for the road, in an engineering sense and often a safety sense (because some people speed and others are unwilling to go above the limit).

It's a risk, but driving is always risky.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

Travelling above the speed limit is a norm for this forum. A lot of the time the limits are too low for the road, in an engineering sense and often a safety sense (because some people speed and others are unwilling to go above the limit).

It's a risk, but driving is always risky.
Speeding in order to keep up with the flow of traffic is likely to be safer than rigourously obeying the posted limit, and does give something of a herd immunity (at least to patrol cars, cameras will still gently caress you over).

With high-end/powerful cars, I think a certain amount of it is that there's nothing to prove. You don't need to drive fast, because you don't need to show that the car's fast. That and it being a complete magnet for attention, both good and bad.

Hell, if there's any kind of car that I drive like a complete twat, it's an anonymous base-model hatchback.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Michael Scott posted:

After driving 1200'ish miles in Nevada over the last 2 days, I'm convinced of 2 things:

1) Nevada desperately needs an unlimited speed limit on the vast majority of the roads through the desolate wastelands between the tiny dead towns with 25mph speed limits.

2) The state needs to be renamed to "Desolation", or perhaps "Wasteland".

Also, for the drivers on those 2 lane highways that apparently think blinding the driver coming towards you at a closing speed of 150mph+ when you are going to pass less than 8' from them, no 'gently caress you' is remotely big enough, and I hope there is a special place in hell for them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Michael Scott posted:

It's always interesting when a speed limit stays the same even after a giant re-design is done on a specific section of road. This is the case on Glenmore Trail in Calgary -- there used to be lights at a lot more intersections, but now it's basically an expressway for a large part of its length. Guess what? The speed limit was 80 km/h with lights, and it's 80 km/h as an expressway despite the fact it would be completely safe to raise the limit to 100 km/h (which many people already do, if you ignore one or two choke-points because no one in this godforsaken city knows how to merge).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PT6A posted:

It's always interesting when a speed limit stays the same even after a giant re-design is done on a specific section of road. This is the case on Glenmore Trail in Calgary -- there used to be lights at a lot more intersections, but now it's basically an expressway for a large part of its length. Guess what? The speed limit was 80 km/h with lights, and it's 80 km/h as an expressway despite the fact it would be completely safe to raise the limit to 100 km/h (which many people already do, if you ignore one or two choke-points because no one in this godforsaken city knows how to merge).

It's even better when they improve the road and then drop the limit. I-10 west of Phoenix was 75mph limit from the edge of Goodyear until a few years ago when they redid the 8 or so miles west starting where the road used to narrow from 3 lanes to 2 lanes. Now it's 3-5 lanes (depending on where exactly) with super smooth rubberized asphalt, and the entire stretch was reduced to 65mph, right up to the point that it narrows back to 2 lanes, where it's still 75mph limit the rest of the way to the border with California.

Everyone still drives that entire stretch at 75~80.

:iiam:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
A classic example of speed limits reflecting neither road design nor what speed people actually drive:

The highway speed limit in the counties around Chicago is 55mph. How many people actually drive 55? Zero(barring heavy congestion, but then they're going 5mph, not 55. :v:).

During the recent debate about raising speed limits, the area around Chicago was left out because raising the limits to 70(or even 65) there would be :airquote: too dangerous :airquote:. Even though nobody's driving the posted limit anyway, unless forced to do so by traffic jams.

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

InitialDave posted:

Speeding in order to keep up with the flow of traffic is likely to be safer than rigourously obeying the posted limit, and does give something of a herd immunity (at least to patrol cars, cameras will still gently caress you over).

With high-end/powerful cars, I think a certain amount of it is that there's nothing to prove. You don't need to drive fast, because you don't need to show that the car's fast. That and it being a complete magnet for attention, both good and bad.

Hell, if there's any kind of car that I drive like a complete twat, it's an anonymous base-model hatchback.

Fortunately no cameras to deal with here in California - at least of the speed variety. I regularly run at 80-90mph on the local freeways, and I've never gotten a ticket for a speed related offense (other than the time I got nailed for 135mph, but that's another story).

I have a fairly high end powerful car, and I do drive it as intended. I'll readily admit that I'm the jerk that results in all people who drive German cars being branded as jerks - although I am quite courteous in most circumstances. I tend to think I drive like a German. Impeccable lane discipline, always use turn signals, etc. That said, I will flash my high beams at somebody doing 55 mph blocking my path, I will pass them on the right if I can, and I'll carry on my merry way at 80-90...

Speed isn't the problem in an environment like LA - it's the general incompetence of other drivers, and speed differentials that cause accidents. When the flow is at 75-80 mph, I've seen drivers merge their cars into traffic going 40 mph. It triggers almost a chain reaction of brake lights, aggressive lane changes, and so on. One particular incident, back when I had my old Audi RS6 - I was moving along in the fast lane at around 100 mph on a fairly empty freeway in the early morning. Ahead, a car merges into the freeway moving perhaps 50 mph. He immediately proceeds to cut across all the lanes, and park himself 150 feet or so in front of me - leaving me in a position of either laying down 50-70 feet of rubber down to slow down, or make some sort of avoidance maneuver. Fortunately the left shoulder was quite wide and well paved - I swerved around while laying on the horn.

I have a dash camera, and I save the "all time best idiots" on the road, and occasionally stick them up on youtube. Perfect example of a very similar situation to the one above from my dashcam last month: http://youtu.be/2_OSP4rWxLI?t=55s ... oh, and if you watch the rest of the video, I provoke a 300 SRT-8, and I also get nailed by the CHP (for something other than speeding)... whee.

Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1, SeeZeus GT680W dashcam w/ GPS | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J2 cushion

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Try a silver mid-size sedan.

It's anonymity defined, you can do pretty much anything you want and no one takes any special notice of it, you're out of their mind 2 seconds after you pass them.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The Locator posted:

After driving 1200'ish miles in Nevada over the last 2 days, I'm convinced of 2 things:

1) Nevada desperately needs an unlimited speed limit on the vast majority of the roads through the desolate wastelands between the tiny dead towns with 25mph speed limits.

that's what the good Lord gave us nighttime for. nothing like making it to Tonopah with time to spare due to your average speed of 95 mph.

it also lets you discover that the weak point in your car's engine (with increased boost due to the PO poking a hole in the wastegate hose) is when the EGR compression/flare fitting stops compressing and just blows the pipe out of the exhaust manifold, and that the threshold speed for this to happen is 110 mph

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Oct 19, 2014

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

KozmoNaut posted:

Try a silver mid-size sedan.

It's anonymity defined, you can do pretty much anything you want and no one takes any special notice of it, you're out of their mind 2 seconds after you pass them.

Amen! Me? Silver Mercedes E-Class... in SoCal, it doesn't get more anonymous than that. I've always had a silver mid-sized sedan - before the E55 it was a silver Audi RS6, prior to that, a silver BMW 540i. No tickets, no unwanted attention at all. I could drive like a twat, and the highway patrol didn't care at all.

Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1, SeeZeus GT680W dashcam w/ GPS | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J2 cushion

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ValleyGirl posted:

I have a dash camera, and I save the "all time best idiots" on the road, and occasionally stick them up on youtube. Perfect example of a very similar situation to the one above from my dashcam last month: http://youtu.be/2_OSP4rWxLI?t=55s ... oh, and if you watch the rest of the video, I provoke a 300 SRT-8, and I also get nailed by the CHP (for something other than speeding)... whee.

Guy looked up from his iphone only to realize everyone had stopped.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

The Locator posted:

After driving 1200'ish miles in Nevada over the last 2 days,
My first experience with Nevada sums up my feels about it fairly well:

Gas, guns, strippers, fast food, gravel. I didn't like it.

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

My first experience with Nevada sums up my feels about it fairly well:

Gas, guns, strippers, fast food, gravel. I didn't like it.

That photo really captures the essence of it, doesn't it? I've tried to avoid Nevada, although I have driven through on I-80 and US-93 on my way to Montana. It really is desolate country out there - your car breaks down on a road like US-93, and you're really in up a dry creek bed without a paddle. I had the misfortune of having my radiator blow up in Wells, Nevada, and having to deal with an unscrupulous mechanic who tried his very best to screw me. I managed to nurse the car to Twin Falls, where I got it properly repaired... the most memorable thing about Wells? The very prominent prostitution house...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

ValleyGirl posted:

That photo really captures the essence of it, doesn't it? I've tried to avoid Nevada, although I have driven through on I-80 and US-93 on my way to Montana. It really is desolate country out there - your car breaks down on a road like US-93, and you're really in up a dry creek bed without a paddle. I had the misfortune of having my radiator blow up in Wells, Nevada, and having to deal with an unscrupulous mechanic who tried his very best to screw me. I managed to nurse the car to Twin Falls, where I got it properly repaired... the most memorable thing about Wells? The very prominent prostitution house...

That would be the cafe owned by the prostitution house.

Bella's Cafe, not to be mixed up with Bella's Hacienda Ranch or Donna's.

The Locator posted:

2) The state needs to be renamed to "Desolation", or perhaps "Wasteland".

Also, for the drivers on those 2 lane highways that apparently think blinding the driver coming towards you at a closing speed of 150mph+ when you are going to pass less than 8' from them, no 'gently caress you' is remotely big enough, and I hope there is a special place in hell for them.

Nevada does have an unlimited speed limit if you are a local and know where the cops hang out at. If you really want to have unlimited speed in Nevada, run a bearcat, and call in the first sucker with Colorado plates you see. You can come back later and watch the NHP still pulling the car apart on the side of the road.

I have over 500,000 miles in the wasteland, you all are just passin' through.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ValleyGirl posted:

Amen! Me? Silver Mercedes E-Class... in SoCal, it doesn't get more anonymous than that. I've always had a silver mid-sized sedan - before the E55 it was a silver Audi RS6, prior to that, a silver BMW 540i. No tickets, no unwanted attention at all. I could drive like a twat, and the highway patrol didn't care at all.

My girlfriend's got a silver Focus and has sped past patrol car speedtraps with no resulting ticket.

Me? Red Honda. 2 tickets in the last year. :(

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Got behind an old guy in the left lane today. He had multiple bumper stickers saying stuff like "honk for impeachment" etc. so I got in the right lane to get passed and he starts drifting toward me so I honk at him. Do now he thinks my displeasure toward him is actually agreement. He also had earbuds in, gently caress anyone that does that, poo poo should be illegal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Guess the city in BC!

Its loving criminal that these people somehow get drivers licenses.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Possibly Chicken posted:

He also had earbuds in, gently caress anyone that does that, poo poo should be illegal.

In most places it is illegal to drive with any sort of ear-blocking device.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unload My Head posted:

In most places it is illegal to drive with any sort of ear-blocking device.

Which conflicts nicely with handsfree phone requirements. We're all always guilty of breaking some law, all the time. :downs:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

xzzy posted:

Which conflicts nicely with handsfree phone requirements. We're all always guilty of breaking some law, all the time. :downs:

Not if you're on speakerphone.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

What? Are you required to wear a headset for your phone? Otherwise, it sounds like it syncs up nicely: pay attention to the road, that means using your ears too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

What? Are you required to wear a headset for your phone? Otherwise, it sounds like it syncs up nicely: pay attention to the road, that means using your ears too.

No, but not many vehicles are yet equipped with microphones. Which for most people means they'll head to the store to buy either a bluetooth headset or wired equivalent, which will instantly put them in violation of any ear-blocking laws.

I would think that using a phone on speaker also causes problems because most people will hold it in their hand.

Obviously the solution is to just not use the goddamn phone while driving, but that battle was lost years ago.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

My girlfriend's got a silver Focus and has sped past patrol car speedtraps with no resulting ticket.

Me? Red Honda. 2 tickets in the last year. :(

Y'all are making me regret buying the used red Mini instead of the silver one they also had in the lot.

Curse my love of red or blue cars :v:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Y'all are making me regret buying the used red Mini instead of the silver one they also had in the lot.

Curse my love of red or blue cars :v:

No no, you made the right choice.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Following the drunk driver and trying to record them is -not- a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isc-RHHfbBs

Skip to 2:25 for the splat.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Vanagoon posted:

Following the drunk driver and trying to record them is -not- a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isc-RHHfbBs

Skip to 2:25 for the splat.

I'm just glad that the youtube player can adapt to a portrait mode monitor, but I still find vertical recordings annoying as hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

El Jebus posted:

No no, you made the right choice.

Oh yeah, if I was buying a new car again, I would go for the brightest orange/blue/red/turquoise/whatever available.

There's no such luxury when buying used.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

xzzy posted:

No, but not many vehicles are yet equipped with microphones. Which for most people means they'll head to the store to buy either a bluetooth headset or wired equivalent, which will instantly put them in violation of any ear-blocking laws.

I would think that using a phone on speaker also causes problems because most people will hold it in their hand.

Obviously the solution is to just not use the goddamn phone while driving, but that battle was lost years ago.

You can buy bluetooth speaker/mic that clips on your visor. Also, most bluetooth earpieces are for a single ear (If you're using a wired equivalent, even if they're stereo, you can still talk/listen perfectly fine with only a single earpiece) which, last I've heard is perfectly legal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hahaha what the gently caress did i just watch

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wait... what?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

The power of alcohol.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Doubling down of the stupidity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There's no questioning their commitment.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I just don't understand what they were trying to do.

Edit: For content.

No special tags nor do they have the rearview hanger... He was elderly, but not obviously in need of a handicapped spot considering how far he walked (and how well).

The cart guy came out and asked me if the owner just walked into the italian cafe next door. I said no, he strolled confidently into the coffee shop one more door down. I had cold stuff in my bag so I couldn't hang around and see if anything happened.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 22, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

El Jebus posted:

I just don't understand what they were trying to do.

:v: "Hey Vlad, Imma go open this gate, 'kay?"

:downs: *belch*

:v: "Cool." <hops out without setting brake/taking out of gear>

:uhaul: VROOOOOOOM! <slams through gate>

:v: "WAAAAH!"

:downs: *fart* "Oh poo poo!" <stops car, gets into driver's seat>

:uhaul: !MOOOOOOORV <slams into gate, gets hung up>

:v: "poo poo Vlad, you're loving up my ride!"

:downs: *chunky belch*

:uhaul: VROOOOM!

:v: "Wait, let me get the gate!"

:uhaul: !MOOORV <launches :v:>

:downs: *fart*

:v: <begins crying>

:uhaul: VROOM.

:downs: <gets out> "Hey Ivan, I almost made it!"

:v: <continues crying>

MISSING SCENE

:uhaul: !MOOOOOORV <manages to get through>

:v: <is in such despair he can't stay on his feet/wishes to inspect remains of rear suspension>

THE END

I think this about covers it.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
A lot of us military seem to forget how to drive after months on deployment not dealing with traffic, others are dicks, and some need to compensate for their dicks. Here's a pair of images from the parking lot of my barracks.

I'll try to keep an eye out for more mechanical disasters on base. It's really quite something, the concentration of tryhards in the military.

Benefits of driving a 4runner: Being a truck, yet not xbox hueg.

I wish I had thought to take a picture when it was raining - this poor sap put red cups to keep rainwater out of his exhaust. Also, that suspension...

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Reacon posted:

I wish I had thought to take a picture when it was raining - this poor sap put red cups to keep rainwater out of his exhaust. Also, that suspension...

How low does an IQ need to be to possibly think an exhaust like that is a good idea, let alone a serviceable idea? Jeebus.

Today, I was passed on the shoulder of the freeway by a similarly 'stanced' Acura RSX, with that insane camber that of course utterly destroys driveability and safety, and this guy blew past me going at least 95 or so, ON THE SHOULDER... One of the times you really do wish the CHP was nearby...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BraveUlysses posted:

judging by the fact that he gets out through the window, a stolen car.