Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

This is why I thought the "HE'S SUCKING THE BLOOD BACK INTO HIS WOUNDS!" complaints people had about Healing Surges in DnD 4e were dumb as hell.

Nothing in DnD needs to make sense anyway because the answer to literally every question is "a wizard did it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Len posted:

Nothing in DnD needs to make sense anyway because the answer to literally every question is "a wizard did it"

Who taught the first wizard how to use magic?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chinaman7000 posted:

A time traveling Elminster.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Chinaman7000 posted:

A Mage. Duh.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's mantles all the way down

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I like the way DnD 3.5 does it (or maybe it's just my DM) in that attacks when you have high HP are glancing blows deflected by your armor, but eventually your character gets bruised and tired and slips up, letting heavier blows damaging them more towards mortal danger-levels of HP.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You have a good DM.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
One of my favorite little things in any game is in Legend of Grimrock. Someone on their forums asked if the game had on-screen movement keys like some other old first person dungeon crawls. A dev responded and said they didn't asking why they were curious. The poster explained they were disabled and that it would make playing the game easier but even without them they would adapt. Not long after that the devs added them in. No additional pressure or anything, they did it because one person asked. Maybe it's just me but I was a fan of the game beforehand but after that they really made me a loyal customer.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5879927/developer-makes-disabled-gamers-wish-come-true-with-an-arrow-click

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
In the new Legend of Korra game from Platinum, you start the game without your bending powers. But you can still switch between fire/water/air/earth, and if you do, the animation and effect for the attacks change into corresponding fighting styles.
This might not seem like a small thing, but let me tell ya I am glad they got that right.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Tracula posted:

One of my favorite little things in any game is in Legend of Grimrock. Someone on their forums asked if the game had on-screen movement keys like some other old first person dungeon crawls. A dev responded and said they didn't asking why they were curious. The poster explained they were disabled and that it would make playing the game easier but even without them they would adapt. Not long after that the devs added them in. No additional pressure or anything, they did it because one person asked. Maybe it's just me but I was a fan of the game beforehand but after that they really made me a loyal customer.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5879927/developer-makes-disabled-gamers-wish-come-true-with-an-arrow-click

That is some great customer service. I enjoyed the hell out of the first one and can't wait to try the second.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

mng posted:

That is some great customer service. I enjoyed the hell out of the first one and can't wait to try the second.

It's out, in case you weren't sure.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251730/

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Oct 22, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I know it's been mentioned before but holy poo poo did Shadow of Mordor get Parkour right. Moving up walls, over small pits, from walkway to walkway, all of it feels natural and fun. In Batman and especially Assassin's Creed climbing a vertical surface always felt like an immense chore. There was a very real disconnect where the character would be running towards the wall, then stop, then jump towards the nearest handhold. Then pause again, then climb. Pause and climb, pause and climb. Then at the top I hoist myself onto the roof or whatever, pause, and continue running.

But in SoM the Ranger moves smoothly and quickly up surfaces and mantles to the top very quickly and immediately moves back into a full sprint. Walls no longer feel like an obstacle but an alternate path. I can choose to rush through the area and duck into an alleyway and bushes, or move up a wall and hide against the side of a building just as easily. And what's more is that the orcs and Uruks don't climb as easily as I do, unlike AssCreed, so it's now a viable strategy!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Along with that, there's no fall damage (for you, though you can "kill" Uruks by tossing them off the cliff). Parkour is a lot more fun for me when I can just jump off whatever peak I've ascended with no consequences, or even land on an Uruk!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Shadow of Mordor is pissing me off! I have a nemesis, and he is goddamned everywhere! I just want to go somewhere and he pops up. I got lucky and killed him once, but he's still coming out on top. He's doubled in power level since I first met him.

And why am I posting in this thread? Because that Uruk is the driving force for me to seek out upgrades. I want to destroy the bastard.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Shadow of Mordor is pissing me off! I have a nemesis, and he is goddamned everywhere! I just want to go somewhere and he pops up. I got lucky and killed him once, but he's still coming out on top. He's doubled in power level since I first met him.

And why am I posting in this thread? Because that Uruk is the driving force for me to seek out upgrades. I want to destroy the bastard.

Be sure to send him a Death Threat when you get the opportunity. :getin:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You guys know there's a Shadow of Mordor thread, right?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Grimrock 2 is loving amazing and everyone should get it. What I love about both games is just how goddamn good the UI is. It's hard to describe but moving items around and inventory management is absolutely perfect. Everything always goes exactly where you want it to and there's nothing obtuse about any of it.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The bitch of the thing is.. you're gonna be sad once he stops showing up. You'll celebrate your victory, but in the back of your mind you will be waiting for him to return. And when he doesn't you'll feel betrayed. "Am I not GOOD ENOUGH for you to come back from the dead AGAIN?!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jehde posted:

You guys know there's a Shadow of Mordor thread, right?

I'm sorry that so many people keep enjoying the same video game and then post about said game in the PYF little things in games thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry that so many people keep enjoying the same video game and then post about said game in the PYF little things in games thread.

The system within the game that carries the entire game on its shoulders and was (and still is) a major selling point is in no way a little thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thread titles aren't literal.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
From October to January this thread pretty much becomes Spoil Every Memorable Moment And Gameplay Mechanic of Year's Biggest Games The Week They Come Out: The Thread. Giving that the alternative is Eggplant Wizard rule-mongering it's definitely the lesser of two evils and you just have to :dealwithit:

My newest favorite little thing about Dark Souls: they're porting the original to Steamworks and letting you migrate all your saves and achievements.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post and read tidbits found in random games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

Jehde has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Oct 23, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aphrodite posted:

Thread titles aren't literal.

The reason "PYF thing dragging this game down" had "Shut up about Dark Souls" in the title is because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls so I disagree.

That said, male genital mutilation is most of the time not so funny.

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post tidbits I find in games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

I agree with this 100% please shut up about Shadow of Mordor it's a cool game but you're all just saying the same 3 things over and over and arrggghhh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post and read tidbits found in random games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

It is indeed the new goon Flavor of the Week.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It is indeed the new goon Flavor of the Week.

It's been three weeks since the last time you said this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In Megaman 8 for the Saturn/PSX, the Robot Masters have appropriate animations for when you hit them with their weaknesses. Clownman gets wrapped up in his own arms after getting caught in Tornado Hold, Frostman covers his eyes from Flash Bomb, Aquaman's water tank breaks and he has to refill it when hit with Astro Crush, etc.

Most people thought MM8 was a bad game, but I really enjoyed it, and the cartoony sprites and their animations are what really sold it for me.

Jehde posted:

I miss when this thread was about little things, where I could post tidbits I find in games and not have it drowned out by "This orc keeps killing me!" ad nauseum. The nemesis system, combat, stealth, and parkour of Shadow of Morder are not little things. There have been a few legit little things from Shadow of Mordor that have been pointed out long ago, but now this has just become another Shadow of Mordor circlejerk thread. Is Shadow of Mordor the new Dark Souls?

If you have such a problem then loving post some content of your own or just stop reading the goddamn thread. It is not a difficult solution.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's been three weeks since the last time you said this.

Has there been any new major release since then? Figure once Far Cry 4 and the new Dragon Age come out goons will forget about SoM. No I won't :toxx: myself on this one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CJacobs posted:

The reason "PYF thing dragging this game down" had "Shut up about Dark Souls" in the title is because people wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Dark Souls so I disagree.

You can also still post about Dark Souls in it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you have such a problem then loving post some content of your own or just stop reading the goddamn thread. It is not a difficult solution.

Yeah I should just stop reading what used to be my favourite thread because it was derailed and welp I guess that's how it goes. Perfect solution. :jerkbag:

This derailment about derailment has gone on longer than it should have, though. I just ask that goons use appropriate threads for discussion. There is a Shadow of Mordor thread with plenty of goons that would love to talk about Shadow of Mordor, use it.

To satisfy your 'well just post content!' fallacy: I mentioned awhile ago how Assetto Corsa allows you to completely kill your engine by overrevving. They recently released the LaFerrari hybrid hypercar that has a backup electric motor, if you kill the gasoline engine then you can still use your electric motor to get yourself to the pits, albeit very slowly.

:ironicat: for anyone that feels the need to bitch about my bitching. Less poo poo posting, more little things please.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 04:27 on Oct 23, 2014

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

CJacobs posted:

I agree with this 100% please shut up about Shadow of Mordor it's a cool game but you're all just saying the same 3 things over and over and arrggghhh

It's the easiest thing in the world to gloss over a post you don't like. Just ignore it and move on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is true. Here is a little thing from Dead Space 3 which I tried in vain to livestream a while ago. Previous Dead Space games had this issue where you would either pick up too much stuff or your inventory would be full, and any health packs you didn't have room for would be left behind and be wasted, but Dead Space 3 improves upon this by automatically refilling your health/stasis when you pick one up and your inventory is full. It's too bad the game is kinda lovely otherwise.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
You know what's worse than Shadow of Mordor talk? Posting about posting and loving :qq:-ing about it so hard. Post some loving content if you're so desperate.

An odd and stupid little thing I like is with the idle games still accumulate money when offline. Clicker Heroes and Adventure Capitalist are good examples of this. It's really why I abandoned Cookie Clicker and some other ones, I can't be assed to keep the games open 24/7.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jehde posted:

Yeah I should just stop reading what used to be my favourite thread because it was derailed and welp I guess that's how it goes. Perfect solution. :jerkbag:

This, but unironically.

Oh, and I meant to put this in my previous post, but one of the easiest ways to get me interested in a game is to make it so your antagonists are more than just balls of HP that occasionally attack you -- they need some charm, something to give them a little depth or make them stand out.

Shadow of Mordor sounds like a game that I would absolutely love just for the nemesis system alone. I also like how the enemies in the New Super Mario Bros. games dance to the stage music, and how the mooks in the Arkham games get continually more freaked out as you take them down one by one.

More video games need to give enemies personality. It always makes for a more fulfilling experience.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The one thing that I could go for in more games that Assassin's creed actually got right was freaking people out. If you get enough into your murder-spin of taking people out and then the guy next to them eventually during a finisher some of them will panic and try to run away.

I could've really gone for that when I was playing the Batman games and people kept coming at me despite me just breaking a dude's arm.

Also for the love of god please someone anyone take the part out of GOD HAND where if you do a strong enough attack the enemy just goes flying until they slam into a wall. I really want to be able to send people flying like that in more games that aren't just GOD HAND or Viewtiful Joe.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jehde posted:

Let's make it into a Spec Ops: The Line circle-jerk thread again instead!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

gohuskies posted:

Let's make it into a Spec Ops: The Line circle-jerk thread again instead!

My favorite little thing about Spec Ops was the illusion of choice in moral vacuums. And the sandy buildings!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jehde posted:

What kind of injury exactly was it that crippled your scrolling finger but left your typing fingers intact?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SiKboy posted:

What kind of injury exactly was it that crippled your scrolling finger but left your typing fingers intact?

I don't know, but it was probably inflicted by his uruk nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
You know what's great about Black Mesa? You can pick up most small ragdolls now and carry them around, and they still collide with the world. So you can totally clear minefields with headcrab carcasses!