Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
They showed flashes (:xd:) of it last night but I hope all of Cisco's cheeriness is a cover for some deeper trauma.

He just comes off as too happy-go-lucky. I know they have a whole season to flesh him out but he's been really heavily into the science-:technobabble: role and it'd be interesting if it was all an act to hide some emotional wound.

Kinda like the opposite of Caitlin who has been a walking-wound but may slowly be coming out of her shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I just want him to cut his goddamn hippie hair. :arghfist::corsair:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Thwomp posted:

They showed flashes (:xd:) of it last night but I hope all of Cisco's cheeriness is a cover for some deeper trauma.

He just comes off as too happy-go-lucky. I know they have a whole season to flesh him out but he's been really heavily into the science-:technobabble: role and it'd be interesting if it was all an act to hide some emotional wound.

So basically Marco from Animorphs?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Thwomp posted:

Kinda like the opposite of Caitlin who has been a walking-wound but may slowly be coming out of her shell.

I suspect that's there. At the very least, he's definitely been shown to be a more sentimental sort - he developed the Flash suit, presumably on his own time, in the hope that, if it worked and helped keep firefighters safe, it'd improve the reputation of STAR Labs and take the heat off Wells, who was likely the public face of the fiasco. He jumps straight onboard with Barry's desires to help people whereas both Wells and Snow have their reservations. And it seems to be he feels guilt over having been down there, with Ronnie, and by some definition, effectively being responsible for the man's death. He not only closed the door on a friend, but also took another friend's would-be husband from her. Even if Ronnie died a heroic death, that's plenty to feel guilty over - and who knows what the show might add later on.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Xelkelvos posted:

For what it's worth, Firestorm's powers are pretty close to Dr. Manhattan's except he can't create or directly affect organic molecules.

Dr. M does a lot of time/space stuff like teleporting and omnipresence that Firestorm can't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think one thing they hopefully do soon that would improve the show a lot: Metahumans need to not be a secret. Sooner than later people need to understand that metahumans exist, and the Flash needs to publicly be a hero rather than just a "red blur".

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Thwomp posted:

That said, he's also done a lot of positive work which I enjoyed and BSS can often be totally incapable of separating past good work from currently questionable work (see also Brian Bendis).

The Jeff Loeb Effect :smith:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Geoff Johns has written a lot of mediocre poo poo over the last 10 years or so but the one thing he does very well is write Flash. His original Flash run is still probably one of the best runs on the character ever. If not outright the best. I wouldn't trust him to control too much, but I think Flash is just fine for him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

Geoff Johns has written a lot of mediocre poo poo over the last 10 years or so but the one thing he does very well is write Flash. His original Flash run is still probably one of the best runs on the character ever. If not outright the best. I wouldn't trust him to control too much, but I think Flash is just fine for him.

Second best. Waid is still the best. However, he is doing really well with this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of want this (or at least just the blurry face bit) for an avatar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of want this (or at least just the blurry face bit) for an avatar.

Then how the hell will we know who you are?

Captain Cold furry hood worriers should be very pleased next week.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Can anyone link me to that one front page article from years ago explaining why Flash is the most overpowered superhero?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can anyone link me to that one front page article from years ago explaining why Flash is the most overpowered superhero?

A quick google search found a re-post on some random blog:

http://mediaoverloadshow.tumblr.com/post/37463973549/the-motherfucking-flash-ancient-re-post

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Second best. Waid is still the best. However, he is doing really well with this show.

I love Waid's but I think I like what Johns did a little more. And it actually pains me to say that because Waid could literally write circles around Johns.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Welp, we made it to page 29 before someone posted goesfast.txt

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Better than expected. Now never bring that terrible thing up again.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Deadpool posted:

Better than expected. Now never bring that terrible thing up again.

I made it an OP rule. An OP rule.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I didn't really like this monster of the week episode pattern and hope they can somehow stray from that a bit. How do you beat a Chlorine Gas monster? Oh yeah, just tire him out chasing you. Meh. That diveroll at the end of that fight was also dumb, he's the Flash, unless that gasguy could also travel the speed of sound Barry should just be able to take a couple steps, maybe? Go play soccer if you want to flop around on the ground like a loser fish, Barry.

I thought the guys just carte blanchely putting some rando mutant forever in a prison container is kinda hosed up. And it's just those three science people - I'm getting Ghostbusters vibes from that, except it's people, not ghosts. I hope that's a plot that goes somewhere because you can't just have those science nerds in the middle of the city keeping a bunch of starving, angry science monster murder mutants locked away indefinitely.

I like Dr Wells' being this good badguy. That's cool and I dig it, but for fucks sake they've been teasing for three episodes the exact same loving stuff, Jesus Christ. I get it, he's from the future and is doing bad poo poo in the name of good things. Get over yourself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's going to end up like Unbreakable isn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Deadpool posted:

I love Waid's but I think I like what Johns did a little more. And it actually pains me to say that because Waid could literally write circles around Johns.

Return of Barry Allan and he introduced Impulse. Johns highs did not reach this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's going to end up like Unbreakable isn't it?

Cisco: "That's it, we're calling him Mr. Glass".

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I like the action and effect but man is the writing bad.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
In the pre-stinger VO where Barry was running around the city, I really wanted him to steal some of the Science Buddies' ice cream.

"What happened to the rest of my rum raisin?"

:argh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think you mean Run Raisin. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PFlats posted:

In the pre-stinger VO where Barry was running around the city, I really wanted him to steal some of the Science Buddies' ice cream.

"What happened to the rest of my rum raisin?"

:argh:

HE STOLE THAT GUY'S ICE CREAM!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
"My name is Barry Allen, and I'm the fastest man alive. I will steal your loving ice cream."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was about to say that I hoped Ronnie would turn out to be a metahuman, then I looked back and realized I should Google his name. Oh well, now I'm not too excited about all the love triangle drama that will unfold between him, Flash, and Caitlin.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

MildShow posted:

So basically Marco from Animorphs?

Cisco is Grodd! :siren:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I won't be happy till I see Barry shovelling candy bars into his mouth in the middle of a fight, Adam Jensen style.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Martman posted:

I was about to say that I hoped Ronnie would turn out to be a metahuman, then I looked back and realized I should Google his name. Oh well, now I'm not too excited about all the love triangle drama that will unfold between him, Flash, and Caitlin.

Although they could obviously go there with it, I haven't seen Barry and Caitlin's thing as romantic, in my viewing. If anything, Cisco's in love with her. Besides, Barry already has Iris and Felicity to deal with. If he calls dibs on Caitlin, he'd be both the fastest and the greediest man alive.

I feel like Caitlin's fiance turning into some sort of pseudo-corporeal atomic man who may or may not be a hivemind is more than enough to gently caress with that relationship, though. I guess Caitlin could get some sort of quantum threeway out of the deal. If he doesn't heat her body to 450°C by accident.

Are they really not doing Killer Frost in some way? There are just so many puns.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Blitz was better than Return of Barry, I liked Waid's run but he was overall pretty bad at writing villains (name one good villain from that run other than Thawne because Savitar was underdeveloped and cobra was lame as hell) and he was way too indulgent with sappy "you're my beacon Linda" nonsense where the power of love bails out wally way too many times, also I absolutely loathed chain lightning and dark flash. By comparison Johns created a crapload of great rogues and Zolomon was loving perfect.

Waid introduced a fantastic supporting cast but Johns actually used those characters in great stories with great villains.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Waid also, when he returned, made the comic all about Wally's kids no one cared about.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Whom do you guys think is gonna be Zoom, Wells or Eddie?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Barry's dad. He guilty.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Barry's dad. He guilty.

Best Show.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I was worried that Barry's dad would see him and think that HE was the murderous blur that killed the mom. They would have to have a whole arc where he would start rambling about how everyone love the "Streak", but he know's how evil he REALLY is.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I could do without Barry's narration summing up the Lesson of the Week at the end of each episode, but I love the little shots of him do-gooding around the city while it's happening. I especially love his quick-and-easy solutions to a lot of these problem. Woman getting mugged a knifepoint? ZIP. Woman has knife. Stab away, sweetheart. :chef:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

Although they could obviously go there with it, I haven't seen Barry and Caitlin's thing as romantic, in my viewing. If anything, Cisco's in love with her. Besides, Barry already has Iris and Felicity to deal with. If he calls dibs on Caitlin, he'd be both the fastest and the greediest man alive.

I feel like Caitlin's fiance turning into some sort of pseudo-corporeal atomic man who may or may not be a hivemind is more than enough to gently caress with that relationship, though. I guess Caitlin could get some sort of quantum threeway out of the deal. If he doesn't heat her body to 450°C by accident.

Are they really not doing Killer Frost in some way? There are just so many puns.

It's possible they might have a second wave of meta humans for some reason or another, even if only temporary. Alternatively, parallel universes

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife's mom died earlier this year, and our kid started walking a couple of months ago, so Barry's dad's story about him learning to walk and the ensuing monologue made her cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

bobkatt013 posted:

Return of Barry Allen is legit the best Flash story.

• Locked thread